DVD Available for Pre-Order!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Oh, okay. Thanks.

You're welcome.
  • edited March 2010
    Is that where we get the English word "violated" then? (On retrospect this question seems weird.)

More accurately, they both come from the same root, yes.

It's common for English to have two words meaning the same thing, one coming from old French, one coming from old Germanic.
    With time, the meaning sometimes shifted so the two words aren't always perfectly equivalent.

A few examples would for instance be "freedom"/"liberty" or as you said "violate"/"rape". Incidentally, that's where "violence" comes from, too.

One of the most common one to learn about is food. At the time, the court spoke French (the King of England was French) while the peasants spoke saxon. So the people breeding the animals had words for them, the people eating them had different words (eating meat was a luxury).

So you have cow/beef, sheep/mutton, calf/veal and so on.

The interesting thing is that it led to a different approach to food, apparently. the French are always pretty honest about what they're eating. If it's a snail, the dish is called "snail" and so on. In English-speaking countries the animal and the meat have different names which creates a distance. As a result it tends to seem more gross or wrong to eat some animals (rabbit, horse, frog, snail), while in France an animal is an animal is an animal so there isn't as big a difference. I mean it's fairly easy to find all of these in an average grocery store.
    It was pretty interesting. I'm always fascinated about how language can influence culture and perceptions, it seems it happens at least as often as the other way around.
  • edited March 2010
    More accurately, they both come from the same root, yes.

It's common for English to have two words meaning the same thing, one coming from old French, one coming from old Germanic.
    With time, the meaning sometimes shifted so the two words aren't always perfectly equivalent.

A few examples would for instance be "freedom"/"liberty" or as you said "violate"/"rape". Incidentally, that's where "violence" comes from, too.

One of the most common one to learn about is food. At the time, the court spoke French (the King of England was French) while the peasants spoke saxon. So the people breeding the animals had words for them, the people eating them had different words (eating meat was a luxury).

So you have cow/beef, sheep/mutton, calf/veal and so on.

The interesting thing is that it led to a different approach to food, apparently. the French are always pretty honest about what they're eating. If it's a snail, the dish is called "snail" and so on. In English-speaking countries the animal and the meat have different names which creates a distance. As a result it tends to seem more gross or wrong to eat some animals (rabbit, horse, frog, snail), while in France an animal is an animal is an animal so there isn't as big a difference. I mean it's fairly easy to find all of these in an average grocery store.
    It was pretty interesting. I'm always fascinated about how language can influence culture and perceptions, it seems it happens at least as often as the other way around.

Thank you, oh glorious Canadian. How may I ever repay you? Also, you forgot to argue the virtues of affordable baby splicer meat.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    No, they still would cost too much to feed
    Who says anything about feeding? Just hire and slaughter. Nothing wrong or unetical about that that I can see.
    plus they can defend themselves more.
    Although you are making a point here.
    eating what the mom's eating.
    Oh, I did get that though...
    I'm saying, let's sell whatever the mom's eating (well, the extra she would be eating to feed the baby-to-be) and it will save us the trouble. Or better, let's not buy it and keep the money. This way we can use it on shipping.
    Apparently you haven't played much city-builder games. A finished product (say... babymeat) is worth more than the sum of it's components used in the production of the final product. So, importing food for the mother, to get babies, then selling their meat is pretty much guaranteed to give profit. And feed TTG's babyeating habit in the process.
  • edited March 2010
    Apparently you haven't played much city-builder games. A finished product (say... babymeat) is worth more than the sum of it's components used in the production of the final product. So, importing food for the mother, to get babies, then selling their meat is pretty much guaranteed to give profit. And feed TTG's babyeating habit in the process.

Well, it started with people saying they were going to have babies and give them to TTG in exchange for free shipping. That sounded like a bad deal to me.
    Of course if you have buyers, then yes, you can sell it more than it cost you and make a profit.
  • edited March 2010
    Anyone read The Road by Cormarc McCarthy?
  • edited March 2010
    Okay, now I'm curious who the hell came up with the "ttg knocked me up" tag that spawned this insane discussion on the practicality of baby harvesting.

Also, the resulting tags are...interesting. I particularly like "atlantic ocean is a lie".
  • edited March 2010
    wow, this thread is REALLY getting off-topic.

*ahem*...

o/~ My little buttercup, has the sweetest smiiiiiiiile... o/~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mw9F5zawRQ
  • edited March 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    wow, this thread is REALLY getting off-topic.

*ahem*...

o/~ My little buttercup, has the sweetest smiiiiiiiile... o/~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mw9F5zawRQ

Please tell me what movie is this from?
  • edited March 2010
    Three Amigos. I love that movie. For a little background on that scene, the people in the bar were told to expect this German man's friends who wouldn't hesitate to kill them over any small displeasure. Naturally, they mistook the Amigos for his friends and were terrified of them.
  • edited March 2010
    Please tell me what movie is this from?
    Seriously? People haven't seen Three Amigos?
  • edited March 2010
    Well, he is Austrailian.

...That really has nothing to do with anything, I just felt like pointing it out.
  • edited March 2010
    I hadn't heard of that movie either.
    Sorry.
  • edited March 2010
    I hadn't heard of that movie either.
    Sorry.
    Well, you can be forgiven. Because you're French.
  • edited March 2010
    yep. great movie. Now, umm...

o/~
    Where ever they meet us our destinies lead us
    Amigos we are always together
    where ever we go we're three brave amigos
    and we'll be amigos forever

We are the three Amigos
    We are the three Amigos
    We are the three Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... o/~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gSVyLFl0Do
  • edited March 2010
    That just makes me think of this for some reason.
  • edited March 2010
    Moo.
  • edited March 2010
    yep. great movie. Now, umm...

o/~
    Where ever they meet us our destinies lead us
    Amigos we are always together
    where ever we go we're three brave amigos
    and we'll be amigos forever

We are the three Amigos
    We are the three Amigos
    We are the three Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... o/~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gSVyLFl0Do

Now that brings back memories! Oh my gosh! I must find this movie again; it's an underrated classic! I miss Martin Short in movies. :(
  • edited March 2010
    Well, he is Austrailian.

...That really has nothing to do with anything, I just felt like pointing it out.

Well, I am only 14. I have my whole life ahead of me. I'll see if I can find the film.
  • edited March 2010
    Do you have a plethora of pinatas? </obthreeamigosreference>
  • edited March 2010
    That just makes me think of this for some reason.

Augh, that makes me think of this!
  • edited March 2010
    Molokov wrote: »
    Do you have a plethora of pinatas? </obthreeamigosreference>

Oooh! So "a plethora of piranhas" might be a reference to that?
  • edited March 2010
    Do I have to start a thread in "General Chat" for you guys?
  • edited March 2010
    Ripcord wrote: »
    Do I have to start a thread in "General Chat" for you guys?

Thanks, but I have one already.
  • edited March 2010
    Now this thread has turned into something... bad. Seriously discuss these things somewhere else if you must, but not in threads like this.
  • edited March 2010
    Otis wrote: »
    Now this thread has turned into something... bad. Seriously discuss these things somewhere else if you must, but not in threads like this.

We talked about breeding babies for food, but you complain when we switch to talking about the Three Amigos instead?
  • edited March 2010
    im from Philippines. how can i avail this game? if i order thru internet, when will they deliver it to me?

if i have friend in US which he/she will come to Philippines by the end of march or early April, can i let them order it so that no more shipping fee? then my friend will bring the collector's dvd here. coz im planning to buy the standard edition only. or are there any shops selling this game already?
  • edited March 2010
    Well...I can not say if it was telltale, or Lucas arts that knocked me up...it could have been both, I'm such a horrible baby carrier person...
  • edited March 2010
    There's been no word of a retail release. As far as any of us know, the DVD should be shipping in April. If you would prefer to save on shipping, yes, I suppose you could enter your friend's address as the shipping address, have it shipped to the US, and have your friend bring it to you in the Philippines, if your friend's coming to visit anyway. And in the meantime, the downloadable episodes will be available to you.
    Otis wrote: »

I admit, the thread's been horribly derailed, but honestly, I prefer the baby eating and 80's movie talk to the conspiracy theories that Telltale is trying to turn a profit on shipping and that anybody who actually believes what they say is "white knighting".

Besides, since when is a completely off-topic thread anything unusual around here?
  • edited March 2010
    @GuruGuru
    thanks.
    on the second thought... what if i order at telletale site the deluxe edition $49.95? how long will it take to arrive here in Philippines? u said it should be April right? for that item the free shipping is USPS Priority Mail International, how many days do u think is their shipping? is it door to door basis? or i have to pick up at our Postal Office?
    sorry for my bunch of questions ^^;; my first time to try to purchase online using credit card.
  • edited March 2010
    Garz wrote: »
    on the second thought... what if i order at telletale site the deluxe edition $49.95? how long will it take to arrive here in Philippines? u said it should be April right? for that item the free shipping is USPS Priority Mail International, how many days do u think is their shipping? is it door to door basis? or i have to pick up at our Postal Office?
    sorry for my bunch of questions ^^;; my first time to try to purchase online using credit card.

I live in an apartment, and any of the DVD's I ordered form Telltale (3 so far) were shipped in a small manila envelope lined on the inside with bubble wrap. Said packaging was small enough that the mail carrier put it in my mailbox. Of course, being that I have an apartment, there is the fact that my mailbox has a key lock on it, so idk what they'd do if you have a standard mailbox. Then again, since you got the Deluxe Edition, idk if it will fit. That depends on the volume of the package.
  • edited March 2010
    I have a standard mailbox (no lock) and the mailman left my two seasons of Sam and Max in there. (Off topic: I just finished the last two episodes of Season Two, and it was absolutely brilliant!) I really don't know anything about shipping overseas (and my dad's a mailman, so I have a wealth of postal information at my disposal), so I couldn't say how long it would take, though I would guess that it would take less time to have it shipped directly to you than to have it shipped to a friend and brought over.

As far as door to door vs. post office, I would assume it's the same as any other package. Sorry I can't be more help, but unless someone else on here lives in the Philippines, you probably know your own postal system better than any of the rest of us.
  • edited March 2010
    When I ordered it was left at the post office, but I had my hardcover copy in there, so I'm not sure how helpful that it.
    Plus my mailbox is small. A DVD certainly would not fit.
  • edited March 2010
    Plus my mailbox is small. A DVD certainly would not fit.

Define small. A standard DVD case is only 190mm tall by 135mm wide (7.5in by 5.3in.) I have a relatively small mailbox and yet it fit in mine.
  • edited March 2010
    Define small. A standard DVD case is only 190mm tall by 135mm wide (7.5in by 5.3in.) I have a relatively small mailbox and yet it fit in mine.

I haven't measured it, but although it's quite deep the opening, which is square, is pretty short. If it did fit in, it would be in diagonal and fit just barely. It's about the width (not length) of an envelope per side of the square.You can put a paper if it's rolled, or regular letters, but that's pretty much it.
  • edited March 2010
    Where I live we all have small boxes in a central location... But when we get a package in the mail they put them in a bigger mail box and put the key to that box in our mail box its not a bad system.... unfortunately our mail man in ALWAYS putting our mail in the wrong boxes... once a neighbor received over $50 worth of merchandise meant for me fortunately for me they brought it to my door.
  • edited March 2010
    thanks so much guys for a lot of infos u've shared.
    i don't trust so much about our postal services lol
    i've heard some issues about the delays, lost items, or when the items arrive they send u letter telling u to claim it at their office but when u arrive to claim.. u just need to pay the service charge but sometimes they will ask more which its shouldn't.

anyway... so on the website of Telletales, the ToMI is already officially out right? so if i bought the item, it will surely be shipped as soon as possible? or need to wait for the month of April then they will ship it?
  • edited March 2010
    Garz wrote: »
    i don't trust so much about our postal services lol
    i've heard some issues about the delays, lost items, or when the items arrive they send u letter telling u to claim it at their office but when u arrive to claim.. u just need to pay the service charge but sometimes they will ask more which its shouldn't.

anyway... so on the website of Telletales, the ToMI is already officially out right? so if i bought the item, it will surely be shipped as soon as possible? or need to wait for the month of April then they will ship it?

It's called a "pre-order." That means you're buying the item before it's been released.

You will get it when they start shipping it, which is in April.

In most cases, pre-orders are used, from the customer's standpoint, to make sure you get a copy before they run out of stock and, from a manufacturer's standpoint, it shows how much interest there is in a product, which may indicate how many of that item to produce at launch.

If Telltale says it will be released in April, then you will get it in April whether you buy the DVD now through pre-order, or wait until then. Granted you can still play the downloaded version that comes with it right now, but you have to wait until April for the DVD.

Also, you sound a bit worried about the post office screwing up delivery of your package. I wouldn't worry about it. I've bought many things off the net and have never had any problems getting packages. It's true that with some delivery services, like UPS (United Parcel Service), they want you to sign for receipt of the package, so they come to your house several times trying to deliver it, and after so many tries, they leave it at one of their locations and ask you to pick it up. USPS (United States Postal Service) doesn't do that, though (not usually anyway.)
  • edited March 2010
    Okay, now I'm curious who the hell came up with the "ttg knocked me up" tag that spawned this insane discussion on the practicality of baby harvesting.
    Good question
    Also, the resulting tags are...interesting. I particularly like "atlantic ocean is a lie".

As for mailing experience: I let them send the package to my parents house, and then get it there once it has been delivered. They don't throw it through the door though, they ring the doorbell. Last time my parents weren't home so they brought it to the neighbours. So my parents picked it from the neighbours, then I picked it up from them again.
    (Is pretty common in NL, but maybe not other countries?)
    Yeah, it's kind of complicated, but I much rather let my mail be send to my parents place than those small icky mailboxes my own place has, which I barely empty anyways, so I would know faster if I got the package if it's not send here.
  • edited March 2010
    okay. got it. yeah, that's true that im a bit worried on that... just don't know if its worth the risk. but thanks so much for all the explanations. i think i'll try pre-order the item now. hope it would process well and soon i would receive the package safely with no damages. and no additional charges o_o

thanks again! \m/
Sign in to comment in this discussion.