Which is the best Monkey Island game so far?

Since Tales of Monkey Island is now complete and can be viewed as a full 5th game i was curious what everyones opinion is on their favourite monkey island game so far?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Arrgh! The choices!

I voted for Curse but I love Tales equally. I want to vote twice, once for either game. In the end I just picked one between the two, but keep in mind I can't really say Curse is better.

I suspect that if Tales was one big long game, it would win out over Curse.
  • edited March 2010
    My answer really depends. If the question is really "What is the best Monkey Island game?" as the thread title says, then I would vote for LeChuck's Revenge. If the question is actually "What is your favorite Monkey Island game?" as the poll title states then I would vote for The Secret of Monkey Island.

SoMI was the first adventure game I played and is quite possibly the first PC game I ever played and it will always have a special place in my heart as it's also probably the only one that I can play over and over and not get bored with. However, I can accept that LeChuck's Revenge took everything that was great about SoMI and made it better. Also, LeChuck's Revenge is probably one of the best adventure games ever, if not THE best adventure game.
  • edited March 2010
    Can I just say all of the above? They are all great games.
  • edited March 2010
    I really, really enjoyed EMI. While it's not my favourite one, I almost feel like it deserves my vote anyway just because people tend to vomit all over it. D:
  • edited March 2010
    Frown wrote: »
    I really, really enjoyed EMI. While it's not my favourite one, I almost feel like it deserves my vote anyway just because people tend to vomit all over it. D:
    Generally, they vomit on their keyboards. The disgust doesn't really start until well after the game itself is protected by the disc drive, and the keyboard is the most common "thing in front of person playing Escape from Monkey Island".
  • edited March 2010
    My favourite is MI1, but I don't think it is the best MI game. It was hard to decide whether MI2 or TMI was the best. I decided to go with MI2.
  • edited March 2010
    Curse. Still my favorite PC game of all time.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm really surprised by the the votes for ToMI. Is this the first Monkey Island game for many of you? If so, I can easily understand not putting SoMI or MI2 as favourites, maybe even CMI. It's hard to get into a game that looks dated, and even if you do, it's rarely comparable to playing it when it was new.
  • edited March 2010
    Hands down its Monkey Island 2 Lechucks revenge, its the first one in the series i played and still my favourite to date,the humour and puzzles, the art, its completely brilliant, however i do like Tales alot, the fifth chapter was my favourite
  • edited March 2010
    My vote goes to Curse, but it's pretty close between that and LeChuck's Revenge for me. All the games are special in their own ways, but those two have been the most memorable for me :)
  • edited March 2010
    plrichard wrote: »
    LeChuck's Revenge took everything that was great about SoMI and made it better.

This.
  • edited March 2010
    StarEye wrote: »
    I'm really surprised by the the votes for ToMI. Is this the first Monkey Island game for many of you? If so, I can easily understand not putting SoMI or MI2 as favourites, maybe even CMI. It's hard to get into a game that looks dated, and even if you do, it's rarely comparable to playing it when it was new.

Or different tastes. MI2 has a sudden spike in difficulty that I dislike, for example.
  • edited March 2010
    Unless you're on easy mode. Which is too short, granted.
  • edited March 2010
    Kroms wrote: »
    Or different tastes. MI2 has a sudden spike in difficulty that I dislike, for example.

Of course, but you didn't really answer my question either :D.
  • edited March 2010
    For me Mi2 and Tomi in the same way. Older does'nt means better. Mi2 was legend, but Tomi made some courageus chooses and brilliant ideas that made it one of the best MI chapters ever.
  • edited March 2010
    Tales is my fave Monkey island game I love the drama and storylines and puzzles
  • edited March 2010
    I really want to give Escape from Monkey Island a pity vote, because I know that there will be a thread identical to this one within a few weeks time.

Edit: Yep, voted for Escape. It's definitely not my favourite of the MI games, but it's copped way too much criticism for such a good game.
  • edited March 2010
    Pity votes are lame, just vote for your real favorite! :|

LeChuck's Revenge 4ever.
  • edited March 2010
    Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge is the best game. I was so scared of Captain Dread when I was little. (Don't ask me why.) And the ending was exciting, when LeChuck chased Guybrush with that voodoo doll.

But I love all the games! The Curse of Monkey Island is brilliant, blabla
  • edited March 2010
    PecanBlue wrote: »
    Pity votes are lame, just vote for your real favorite! :|

LeChuck's Revenge 4ever.

I usually would just vote for my favourite, but there's been so many of these threads that I just feel like voting for something else. I also wanted to prevent anyone from posting "haha! I see Escape only has one vote :D" or something like that.
  • edited March 2010
    This isn't a poll for which is your favourite. This is a poll for which is the best. You can have a favourite and still not consider it the best. Like me.
  • edited March 2010
    HAHA, look, Escape only has two votes! :D
  • edited March 2010
    StarEye wrote: »
    Of course, but you didn't really answer my question either :D.

I played Curse in 1998, Escape in 2000, Secret in 2006, Monkey 2 in 2006 and Tales as the chapters were released.
    This isn't a poll for which is your favourite. This is a poll for which is the best. You can have a favourite and still not consider it the best. Like me.

The poll asks one question, the thread title another.
  • edited March 2010
    Ah. I don't read poll titles. Just the thread titles.
  • edited March 2010
    Reading poll titles is like reading asterisked accompanying statements on nutritional food labels. It's a minor miracle you're even bothering to glance at all.
  • edited March 2010
    HAHA, look, Escape only has two votes! :D

Dammit, I knew that would happen!

Ah, but you are wrong my friend. It appears that Escape actually has 3 votes. A trinity of voters, a trifecta of well-earned votes, a hat-trick of 'yays', an amount of votes exactly equal to the number that which so many consider to be 'the magic number'. This truly is a victory for Escape from Monkey Island; a triumph; a great success; an epic win; a noble achievement that will be remembered for the ages! Stop me if I've gone too far.
  • edited March 2010
    HAHA, look, Escape only has three votes! :D
  • edited March 2010
    ...touche.
  • edited March 2010
    The problem now, haydence, is that it's easier for the anti-EMI crowd (I dislike EMI but I don't consider myself anti-it, I mean if people love it good for them) to say "but these are all pity votes, EMI doesn't even have a single real vote", even though it's possible that only one of the three was a pity vote.

On a slightly related subject, I think polls that work this way are... biased, let's say. That is, we can tell which episode is preferred by the most people, but that's it. Imagine EMI was the second preferred game for everyone (I know it's not the case, bear with me) it would get 0 votes. Zero. When everyone thinks it's good enough to be in second place it gets last place. That system is seriously flawed.
    I guess you'd need to be able to rate all the games in order for it to really be representative. And no need to lie out of pity this way (which is mean to your real favourite anyways).
  • edited March 2010
    Thankyou for shortening my username to 'haydence', despite it bearing a close resemblance to 'haydunce' I actually like it better that way - I don't feel guilty about some poor person having to type out my entire confusing username.
  • edited March 2010
    I didn't even notice I had forgotten the w... Thought I had just removed the numbers...
    Next time I'll just call you Hay :P
  • edited March 2010
    Wow, now that´s an easy choice right there. Le Chuck´s Revenge, for me, is the best Monkey Island game ever created so far, and here is why:

- Well aging, to some extend realistic 2D gfx (Imagine the Tunnel Scene)
    - A pirate story with an omnipresent dark undertone (Best Story in an MI Game so far)
    - Great Musical Intermissions (Think about the Bone Song)
    - A great overall score throughout the game
    - High Quality German Translation

This game basically had it all. I hope Lucas does this classic justice, and gives new players a good, fresh port of this gem to enjoy. You can bet i´ll buy this again for my iPhone and PC, if only to support it. I´m curious to hear the voice over too.
  • edited March 2010
    Lechuck's revenge
    Curse
    secret
    Tales
    Escape.
  • edited March 2010
    Wolfstar27 wrote: »
    Hands down its Monkey Island 2 Lechucks revenge, its the first one in the series i played and still my favourite to date,the humour and puzzles, the art, its completely brilliant, however i do like Tales alot, the fifth chapter was my favourite

Indeed.. well said. Ah back in those days, puzzles. Curse had great puzzles too. Tales.. eh not so much. Still fun though. But not really an adventure game in the real sense. Objects and puzzles secondary? Hmm..
  • edited March 2010
    Definitely LeChuck's Revenge. For me, it's not just the best MI-game, but the best Adventure-Game ever. As much as I enjoyed and still enjoy TT's offerings, when it comes to puzzles, they pale in comparison to those good old classics. (sorry)
  • edited March 2010
    Well, since you asked, I will reply! Only the game written by REAL monkeys can be the best Monkey Island game! We should actually be asking ourselves, who is the REAL monkey mastermind behind all this?

I think it's Jake, but don't tell him that I said so. Masterminds are unpredictable... shhh.
  • edited April 2010
    It´s Ron. :)
  • edited April 2010
    I really enjoyed Tales. Possibly more than any of the others, but it could equally be because it was the most recent one I've played..

So I went with the one I enjoyed most back in the day, which was Curse. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Definitely one of the best adventure games I've ever played! "Monkey Island 2"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzs8_PilN54
  • edited March 2011
    Went with my first Monkey island experience, CMI.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.