Action Sequences

Alyssa_TTGAlyssa_TTG Former Telltale Staff
edited October 2017 in The Walking Dead

Hi friends!

Been thinking a lot about the action sequences in Walking Dead games (all seasons), and wanted to get your take. Can you tell me about ones that were memorable for you (in a good way) or ones you'd rather forget?

Which episodes do you remember as having a good balance of action to dialog/exploration, and what episodes seemed like they had too much of one or the other?

Are there types of action you like or dislike particularly? Why?

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback as always!

Comments

• I think that Episodes 1 and 2 of Season 1 had some good action sequences, such as the Motel Inn puzzle in Episode 1 or the Escape Sequence where you are running from the bandits in Episode 2. Although not strictly related to "action scenes", fans also find moments where you role play your character doing some kind of task (such as fixing the radio/removing the handcuffs in Episode 101, or stitching yourself as Clementine in Episode 201 to further help with immersion. Telltale games after Season 1 have moved more towards making the player a passive participant outside of role playing through the dialogue selection, but as I said in my last post, it's the extra elements of gameplay that Telltale adds (such as puzzles, hubs, etc) that also help with immersion. The medium of video games/interactive content as a whole can add an extensive palette of ways to interact with a narrative outside of dialogue selection, and I think you will see that fans really enjoy having extra chances to role play as a character outside of just the dialogue selection or QTEs.

Going back to action scenes, players tend to enjoy the "reticle selections" more than the "Press/Mash [this button]" prompts as it makes the player feel like more of an active participant in the scene instead of just an observer. As you will probably noticed at this point, I am pushing for more "active" participation from the player instead of passive observation, as "active" moments in the narrative serve to further connect the player to the role playing.

• The most memorable to me where the one where Kenny and Lee fought and the one with Norma in episode 3 of Michonne the only action scene i hated was the one with that bearded guy in episode 4 of New frontier because he had a blank stare in his face.

• edited July 2017

The best action sequences in my opinion, are Kenny and Lee fighting, Lee fighting Andy St. John, Lee fighting The Stranger, and Michonne fighting Randall. Another good one is Clementine stitching herself up in the shed.

As far as the most forgettable, I'd say most action sequences in New Frontier. None of those felt...special to me. Not to mention one sequence happened every 5 seconds that season, so it gets tiring. They repeated the same buttons over and over again and some of the sequences weren't emotional enough, except for David vs Javier in Ep.5. That one was good.

S1-Ep.2, E.4, and E.5 had a good balance of action to dialogue and exploration as well as S2-Ep.1 and Ep.2. However, I'd say New Frontier had too much action. Since it lacked hubs, the action was kept being thrown into our faces that it didn't give us time to interact with other characters and develop them either. (Like when Javier first stepped foot in Prescott, I wish we were able to walk around the area and see how the people are and find out more about the place). Same thing can be said about Richmond, there wasn't time to explore the area because of action.

I like the shooting actions in the game. Not much to nitpick at it.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited July 2017

To add on, I found an old forum post I made from back in early 2014 that elaborates on the benefits of "showing and telling", using the strengths and benefits that interactivity can add to narrative. (I just now added the bit in italicized brackets to give context to what I was talking about back then).

In typical literature, good writers aim to “show, not tell.” However, in interactive media, people have the added benefit of being able to “show” and “tell.”

From a perspective of “showing and telling,” Walking Dead Season 1 and Telltale’s older titles both had the benefit of “showing” through the game’s interactive elements and “telling” through the stories. However, with Season 2, later episodes of Wolf, and what I presume will be other upcoming games for the foreseeable future, it seems that Telltale is primarily relying on “telling” stories [through streamlining the gameplay with less hubs, puzzles, etc in later titles after Season 1], and as a result, misses out on all the benefits that “showing” through player interactions has outside of player choice selection. Telltale’s writing has greatly leapt from its already high quality from their earlier days, but it feels as if they are underestimating the incredible potential that other interactive elements outside of player choices have in storytelling.

Just to clarify about my quote above, I am obviously not advocating for stereotypical "video gamey" things like shooting or racing or whatever, but what I mean is, I think more experimentation with adding on new elements (outside of dialogue selection and QTEs) to help enhance the narrative with more direct interactions in player sequences will help strengthen the narrative.

I'll try to post some videos of good sequences from modern Telltale games that I think help show the potential of extra gameplay elements that help further enhance interactive narrative. I know some of these don't entirely relate strictly to Walking Dead/action, but I want to advocate for "active player involvement" as a whole in Telltale games while we are on a somewhat similar topic. :)

[Read in the Spoiler Tagged post below to see the videos]

I think that Episodes 1 and 2 of Season 1 had some good action sequences, such as the Motel Inn puzzle in Episode 1 or the Escape Sequence w

edited July 2017

Lee, Gleen, and Carley sneak into/clear out Motor Inn (Walking Dead Season 1 Episode 1)

I like this action scene as it manages to incorporate a genuinely good puzzle that requires actual thought, but still manages to evoke an urgent need for quick pacing. The player is an active participant and the puzzle fits the Walking Dead universe without feeling like a ham fisted attempt to include video game tropes.

Bandit Attack (Walking Dead Season 1 Episode 2)

Again, this action scene is good as it has active player involvement and asks of genuine thought from the player without hurting the pacing. The player is not protected by a simple button prompt of "Mash this button or get a game over" - they are genuinely driving the story through active participation.

Lee shoots the Zombie Police (Walking Dead Season 1 Episode 1)

Fixing the Radio (Walking Dead Season 1 Episode 1) - (Starts around four and a half minutes into video)

Bigby Wolf fights the Woodsman (Wolf Among Us Episode 1)

This gets a special mention as this fight scene is more "tailored" than typical Telltale fight scenes - you can actually influence the order of the cut-scenes and even find/miss out on a few depending on player choice.

Bigby Wolf investigates Prince Lawrence's house (Wolf Among Us Episode 1)

Not an action scene and not the Walking Dead, but I am including this to advocate for active player involvement that requires genuine thought, and to further show how you guys can add more interactive elements to your palette outside of Dialogue selection or QTEs.

Gared shoot a Rabbit with a bow and arrow (Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 5) - Starts at 3:47

Not much to say here, I just want to further show examples of how active player involvement in Telltale action scenes can work based off of past examples.

To add on, I found an old forum post I made from back in early 2014 that elaborates on the benefits of "showing and telling", using the stre

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Some of my favorite action sequences are actually the-one on-one fights you have with characters. My personal favorites being Lee vs the Stranger, Javier vs Badger, and Michonne vs Randall. They're visceral, and they're quick. The fights themselves are usually sloppy and underhanded, coming down to the characters trying to grab/use whatever they can to get the upper hand. Those kinds of sequences fit perfectly into the world of TWD, if you ask me.

Outside of that, I really liked the action sequences where you introduced unique game mechanics, for example, in episode 2 of Season 1, when you had to use the tractor as cover from the bandits.

Or the scene when Wyatt gets out of the car in 400 Days. When you try to help the injured cop, you have to drag him back, periodically dropping him to shoot the incoming zombies.

Or the cornfield section in Bonnie's story. Having to duck around through the corn, trying to avoid your pursuers. It's not an outright action scene like some of the others, but it's still a noteworthy gameplay sequence.

They stand out against the rest, and usually find a neat way to weave the gameplay elements into the sequence quite well. It makes them memorable, and helps heighten the stakes-- players feel more in the moment when they have control, be that through reticles, or just moving their character around.

Speaking of which, this isn't really an action sequence per se, but the generator bit in episode 5 of Season 3? You guys should really try to think of gameplay moments similar to that. That little segment was a definite stand-out of the episode for me. It took something we've seen in the previous seasons-- walking through a horde-- and gave the player full control, which actually helped raise the stakes. It's one thing walking through a herd by just moving in a straight line through them... it's another when you are given full control and have to actively avoid them.

Episode with the best balance of action and dialog? I'd consider it a tie between Starved For Help and Above The Law.

Episode with the worst balance of action? Ties That Bind - Part Two. Granted, the Prescott attack was a pretty great action sequence (walking through the tear gas and all that), but I felt the episode had a bit too many action sequences to it. Not enough time to sit down and talk to characters. For the time we spent in Prescott during episode 2, half of it was dedicated to the fight with the New Frontier. On the other hand, compare that to Above The Law, as mentioned above-- around 75% of the episode was dialog/character-based, which I feel is a healthy split when it comes to action vs dialog/exploration. Sparing use of action sequences also helps make them more memorable, as well as make the stakes feel a bit higher.

• Deltino makes some good points with stuff like the 400 Days action sequences or the generator scene in 305. The player not only feels more connected to the player with active involvement, but it also heightens the sense of danger and vulnerability the player feels if you have genuine and direct control over the player in scenes such as this. (The "Press/Mash [Button]" prompt can have its place sometimes (such as restraining Lilly as Kenny beats in Larry in the Meat Locker in 103), but it feels a bit overused in newer Telltale games.)

Some portions of my own post above are not entirely on the topic of Walking Dead action scenes in particular, but I am talking about those other topics to really drive the point that active player participation really helps engross players in Telltale narrative role playing as a whole, especially in the context of Walking Dead action scenes.

Deltino posted: »

Some of my favorite action sequences are actually the-one on-one fights you have with characters. My personal favorites being Lee vs the Str

• More or less every action sequence in S1 and S2. Don't get me wrong, the action sequences in A New Frontier were good, really! But A New Frontier really was just a big action sequence. The Writers and Directors of S1 and S2 knew just the balance of dialogue and emotion and action. It should never be more action than dialogue, then the action sequences lose their charm.

That's just my opinion though. Michonne action sequences are also very good, but at this point, you guys over at Telltale slowly moved towards more action, rather than dialogue and emotional impact on the player. A quick nod to Guardians of the Galaxy, it has a pretty good balance between the two, but instead, here, the action sequences are not as good.

I hope one day that you guys can return to the charm, dialogue and emotion that was S1 and S2, and not put all your efforts into Action. Just my wish though.

And for god's sake, fix this forsaken forums (I know, this isn't about that, but the more the telltale guys see this, the faster it may get fixed).

Good Luck with future games, you guys!

• Some of the best action scenes for me was in season 1 episode 2 like when you had to go behind the lawnmower avoiding the bandits arrows. I also loved the St. John’s scenes like when you could punch Andy or walk away and the weather also made the perfect dramatic tension that kept me on the edge of my seat. More of these types of scenes would be great there were also good ones in A new frontier.

• I think the best action sequence of this franchise is Lee fighting through the herd of walkers on the way to the Marsh House in Episode 5.

• edited July 2017

I feel like the Michonne Miniseries had the perfect balance between action, exploration, and dialogue. Not to mention that the action sequences were completely outstanding and amazing. They felt fluid and badass, almost like a choreography.

I also enjoyed the black bars that would appear during each of these sequences. It's kind of an unpopular opinion, but they added a good feeling to the fights.

I also felt Game of Thrones fight sequences were good (not really willing to delve into them though).

On another note, I wholeheartedly agree with Blind Sniper. Some action sequences which are not just outright QTE's but also a mix of strategy would be incredibly welcome (like the one at the motor inn, in A New Day).

Using a bow and arrow like we did in GoT would also be pretty cool. I know we don't exactly have a playable character which is a bow master... but we could have! wink wink

I disliked the fights in ANF where Javier used his bat, particularly the one on the road in episode 3. It didn't feel really... well connected? It was pretty much, hit this zombie, then hit that one, then when two zombies charge in, our character (inevitably) fails. Also, Javier treating killing walkers like it was some sort of baseball game, while a pretty cool concept, didn't work with me. It felt as if he wasn't treating the fight seriously enough, and the fact that he ultimately fails and has to be saved by Clem doesn't help matters. Had he successfully destroyed those walkers, and I believe it would've worked.

Finally, decisions during actions sequences, like chase guy A or chase guy B, use weapon X or use weapon Y (which happened a lot in Game of Thrones (for example the very first fight sequence in The Lost Lords) and Tales (in almost every action sequence really)) are pretty rad.

Thank you once again for looking for feedback. Hope some gets implemented.

(I also made a post on the hub thread, hopefully it's not too late to give some input?)

EDIT:

Just wanted to add that chaotic fight scenes in the middle of herds are pretty fucking cool. The herd scenes in In Harm's Way and Amid The Ruins are definitely the best action scenes Telltale has ever produced for me. I really liked how chaotic it was, how disorientating it felt, how vulnerable it made Clem feel. Going a bit against what Deltino said, I feel this herd sequence succeeded way more at making the playable character (and all the other characters involved really) and by extent the player feel vulnerable than the From The Gallows herd scene (which I am by no means calling a bad sequence, I just don't believe it was meant to have that chaotic feeling the sequences mentioned above had, which I happen to really like - a way of combining both the chaoticity of S2's herd scenes and the full control the From The Gallows herd scene had would be amazing!)

• Alyssa_TTGAlyssa_TTG Former Telltale Staff

It's not too late! :)

I feel like the Michonne Miniseries had the perfect balance between action, exploration, and dialogue. Not to mention that the action sequen

edited July 2017

To add onto the fights/walker encounters in ANF, I found a scene with the Walker encounter in "Ties That Bind" where you repeatedly press "E" to shoot Walkers to be kind of redundant. I think the shooting scenes work better with a reticle as opposed to button prompts, as I feel that over relying on button prompts seems to remove the player from the experience a little.

I feel like the Michonne Miniseries had the perfect balance between action, exploration, and dialogue. Not to mention that the action sequen

• Alyssa_TTGAlyssa_TTG Former Telltale Staff

Examples from other franchises absolutely welcome... I'm looking for the things that provide the biggest value to players, and good ideas can come from many places. This is a great analysis so far -- super helpful.

Deltino makes some good points with stuff like the 400 Days action sequences or the generator scene in 305. The player not only feels more c

• MrJavaMrJava Banned

Lee's fight against a herd was so good(Season 1 Episode 5)

Javier's fight against ANF after he got surrendered was a good one.

But also I really find something so lame. When you open fire and dont surrender, Javier opened fire and shoot one time and Conrad shoot one time. And then ANF driver drove a truck through the gate and no one tried to stop him. It was nonsense and they need to make this kind of scenes more realistic.

Also, when Javi got stabbed by a guard in Episode 4 he was still able to use his arm and even knock the guard out. I didnt witness something like that but I dont think this is to likely.

Ending scene of Ties That Bind Part 1 was successfull. I liked that you have two different option to throw the bomb away or push Clem away to get out of bombs reach.

In Ties That Bind Part 2, you will shoot a walker on your behind and it will cause a ear resonance. Nice detail that was. Also, it reminded me the Glenn situation :/

• Hi Alyssa! Thank you for continuing to take in fan feedback :)

Can you tell me about ones that were memorable for you (in a good way) or ones you'd rather forget?

There are so many from season 1 that I enjoyed:

• The first zombie encounter with the police officer in Episode 1

• The fight against the zombified Sandra.

• Taking cover from the bandits with arrows in Episode 2

• Fighting the St Johns

• Struggling to open the sewer cover in Episode 4

• Walking through the herd to get through the walker herd in Episode 5 was probably the best action scene, everything about it was epic.

• The fight against the stranger

The only action scenes I really liked from Season 2 was the fight against the zombie in the shed and the fight between Kenny and Jane if that counts. The other action scenes weren't bad but nothing fantastic like those in Season 1

There were two action scenes I really enjoyed in A New Frontier, and they both allowed the player to move freely as opposed to the one button QTE prompts:

• Getting the car jack out of the car while zombies pounded on the fence in Episode 3.

• Walking through the herd to get to the generator (This was my favorite part of Episode 5 as well)

I can't really think of any action scenes I hated or wanted to forget, just the action scenes I wanted more control over.

Which episodes do you remember as having a good balance of action to dialog/exploration, and what episodes seemed like they had too much of one or the other?

For the most part I think Season 1 and 2 had a good balance between action and dialogue. I never really complained about an imbalance between the two while playing them. Michonne could get a bit too heavy on the action at times but there was still a good amount of time given to develop the characters. A New Frontier had too much emphasis on the action and not enough time given to developing the characters, more so in the earlier episodes.

Are there types of action you like or dislike particularly? Why?

I enjoy action scenes that allow plenty of interactivity and full control over the character and I dislike action scenes that are boiled down to one button quick time events. A good action scene allows the player to feel immersed in the action and not restricted to pressing a button to make the character do what they're supposed to do. I would like to see more free movement incorporated into the action scenes and replace the command prompts.

Again thank you for listening to the fans!

• The two best action sequences in the entire series were Lee's fight to get to the Marsh House in No Time Left and the bridge scene in A House Divided.

• I really liked the opening action scene of Michonne. I feel that in general, scenes were you just push a button are weak, and that variation is better. Michonne was especially solid with this.

• Blind Sniper...you are so right...I felt the combat as a whole in ANF was off.

To add onto the fights/walker encounters in ANF, I found a scene with the Walker encounter in "Ties That Bind" where you repeatedly press "E

• As others have said...the Michonne combat and the use of dialogue were pretty darn good. The Michonne combat really had the gritty intensity that TWD asks for....I think it and GoT are the best examples of combat done right.

• edited July 2017

Pretty much what everyone else said. I agree with most of the things Deltino said so some of this might just be a repeat of what Delt said.

I liked:
    - The FPS segment in S1E3 (not many people liked it but I did because it added more gameplay and felt like you were in control).
    - The truck segment when Mark was shot and you had to hide behind a tractor without just pressing the up arrow key - you were actually in control and had to move with the truck (S1E2).
    - Fighting the St. Johns was amazing. The atmosphere, the music, it was amazing (everything after you get locked in that room and you have to kill Larry).
    - The part where you had to kill the zombies in S1E1 to make the Motor Inn safe - it required strategy but was also tense. I loved it + you had control over it.
    - S2E3 (end of the ep) and S2E4 (start of the ep) where you had to move through the herd was very tense and made you feel like you were vulnerable.
    - The Cornfield section in the S1 400 Days DLC in Bonnie's story - you had control over the character and had to move left and right to evade those people.
    - S1E5 Lee fighting his way through the herd to get to the Marsh House. It showed Lee's determination to get Clementine back no matter the cost.
    - Pretty much what others said but these are the ones I remember from the top of my head.

I hated 90% of ANF's action sequences because it was either some simple QTE with average music in the background or "E E E E". One action sequence I did like in ANF were Javi's and David's fight because it was tense and the music helped make it tenser. Javier vs Badger was decent - could've been better (making it longer, etc); and I hate the """gameplay""" action QTE where you mash Q and press E because it's just annoying now.

Best balance between action and dialog/exploration = definitely S1E2.
    Worst balance? Most of this season - especially ANF Episode 2.

• Bumping this as it is sorta important.

FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!

• I liked when in season 2 you could pick up different weapons to finish off walkers , for example in episode 2 you could shoot a walker with a rifle or you could stab it with a knife.

• I liked the fight between javier and David because of the emotion, I even fought back David even though I liked him but I usually play these games with actions I would likely do irl, despite making that promise and being punched in front of everyone (including your nephew, his friend and your determinant girlfriend) is kind of embarrassing sonI thought javier wasn't going to take that. I also like the javier and badger fight because go violence and all that.

From season 1 I liked the scene where lee is making his way up the stairs while fighting off a bunch of walkers, and when he made his way towards the marsh house (which I still thought would be cool if there was a similar scene in season 3 as a throwback)

I didn't really have any favourites from season 2 because Clem was too small to do anything apart from kick out walking legs or stab them in the chin, but I guess the bridge scene wasn't that bad or kenny vs Jane.

Again for season 3, I liked the part in episode 2 where javier and his group get ambushed by the walkers before meeting Jesus, and the part from the train tunnel was cool. (imo javier had the best action sequences because he's so cool ;3)

• Personal favorites :

Shoot-out at the Motor Inn S1 -- perfect mix of intensity, had a great sense of everyone around Lee actively participating and high stakes, this is truthfully the only action sequence in all 3 Seasons that it felt like a group surviving together than a one person army

Journey to the Marsh house -- pure emotion with little action, that final stretch Lee takes alone through the herd to reach Clementine

Lee vs Kenny in the train and putting down Duck -- never thought I'd hesitate on pulling the trigger on someone turning , much less Duck as I knew it had to be done for awhile , hats off to the team behind that moment because I did

Removing Lee's hand -- the actors and animators sold this scene

Clementine stitching up her wounds S2 and solo fighting the walker in the shed

Beating Badger S3 - One of the only times Javier really shined in the season , his rage is palpable in this confrontation

• edited July 2017

Which episodes do you remember as having a good balance of action to dialog/exploration

Season 2 episode 2

Can you tell me about ones that were memorable for you

S1E5 Lee walking through the heard
    S1 Lee shooting the bandits
    S1 The whole meatlocker scene
    S1 cutting Lee's arm off
    S2E1 Sam's attack +stitching of arm
    S2E3 walking through the heard again was fantastic

Types of action you dislike

It's not exactly about the way the action is but why it's taking place. S3E5 fighting with David was an action sequence. Sure for someone who's against David and takes Kate's side doesn't have a problem with the action. But for someone who did everything to stay on David's side is still taking part in this action sequence isn't as invested in the whole scene, the action doesn't feel right, it feels off. That's the kind of action I dislike: forced.

• I much prefer season 2s combat to season 3 or 1s, I particularly liked the walker herd in 203

• edited July 2018

One thing season 2 really did shine on was how the action sequences acknowledged that Clementine was a young girl as opposed to a grown man and didn't have the ability to win most fights based on brute strength alone; and thus had to rely on using her surroundings to her advantage in a fight. With Clementine returning as the main playable character for this last season I hope you guys remember to acknowledge this. She has grown a lot since then and has gained much more physical strength but nevertheless if she found herself in an up close and personal fight against a grown man she would be at a disadvantage, and would have to use resourcefulness and technique to survive.

• Looks like this place got bumped so might as well throw in my 2 cents.

The good action in Telltale's Walking Dead is when it feels like you arnt in control. For example S1 Ep4 climbing the bell tower, you're slowly backing upwards and are given more of a task like fighting zombies while getting your leg unstuck. It also felt realistic. Also S1 ep 5's scene where Lee fights the Walkers. Usually I dont like the "LOOK HOW BAD ASS THIS IS" type of thing because I find it cheesy, but this worked because Lee knew he was going to die so he was willing to go in and push through. If there is going to be action scenes that are "badass" they work and feel much better if there is a context we are really rooting for, in this case Lee going in to save Clem even if it means he will most likely die too.

For action I dont like, standing on top of a bulldozer pushing an armored van while shooting an ak47 at a bunch of walkers. Its just dumb, Im sorry. It was just ridiculous and again we were doing it to "save Richmond" but unlike saving Clem, we dont really, care that much about Richmond... so the context behind the heavy action is just meh.

For action that isnt really "action" in terms of fighting, I found ANF ep 5 Helicopter scene to be comparable to "jumping the shark." When I think Telltale's Walking Dead, the last thing I think is "They are on a bridge and they have to cross so they have to use a crashed helicopters blades to swing across!"

• Yeah, that scene with Lee... We could relate, we were all wondering how long Lee could hold with the infection, but we still thought of Clem more than anything. It's realistic in many ways since, knowing you will die no matter what: you don't want to waste time, you no longer fear and when the most precious thing in your life is taken by a stranger who could hurt her, you are going to do anything - ANYTHING. Lee has shown to be a very strong and healthy man throughout Season 1, so it made sense he could push through all those walkers, especially with adrenaline kicking in. It just gave more intensity to Lee, seeing how far he'll go to protect Clem.

But yeah, the first thing I said when I saw Javi on top of the bulldozer... I was like, dude what the hell? A small bump and your ass is on the pavement, getting chewed by a horde. It would've been more wise to make a lot of noise, they were in the hangar thing afterall, where all the stolen resources were stored and it had weapons - why not use explosives and other things that you can distract the horde with? Send them out of the perimeter instead of risking what happened to David, it's just as likely to happen with a bulldozer when bodies pile up. Also, how did that bulldozer even lift the truck up like that? It's not supposed to do such things, right?

I mean overall, that season feels like it could've been a mini-series, TWD needs some action at some point (All Out War) or the war with the Governor but was it worth 5 episodes? I don't know. I'm not too picky though, as long as it's TWD, I'm buying - they didn't ruin Clem for me so it's fine.

Poogers555 posted: »

Looks like this place got bumped so might as well throw in my 2 cents. The good action in Telltale's Walking Dead is when it feels like y

• Favorite actions scenes...

S1E1 with the babysitter
    S1e2 escaping the bandits
    S1e2 ending
    S1e4 school scene/escape
    S1e5(?) escaping to the attic
    S1e5 through the streets to the Stranger
    S2e1 forest
    S2e1 shed scene
    S2e2 windmill/turbine/whatever attack
    S2e3 herd scene
    S2e4 porch collapse
    S2e5 lake scene

As for best balance, probably S2e2. Starts with a somber moment with Pete if you stayed with him, we get that awesomely tense tour of the house with Carver, bridge crossing/standoff, reunion with Kenny, exploring the lodge and dinner scenes, big fight with the walkers.

I definitely prefer the more realistic and intense fights. Where it really does feel like a struggle instead of an action scene, the escape to the attic and windmill scene got my vote because of how intense they were, iirc on both you could miss the zombies head and they'd keep coming. Body shots are the most effective way to subdue someone lethally because its the biggest target on the body for it, the head is by far the smallest. Far as I remember that's why its the target you're taught to go for, it's much easier and quicker to bring down a threat. ANF seemed to star professional assassins with above human proficiency. The final scene was particularly groan worthy, not only did Clem seem to completely forget how to handle a pistol, but she's knocking off head shots easily while moving.

Can't figure out the quote feature, so

"Usually I dont like the "LOOK HOW BAD ASS THIS IS" type of thing because I find it cheesy, but this worked because Lee knew he was going to die so he was willing to go in and push through."

Exactly. That's what made it so intense, it wasn't so much him being a badass as it was him simply disregarding his own safety, he just didn't care about anything but making it through. Ricks rampage through the prison might have looked like him being a badass, but again, it was a disregard for his own safety as well as a complete mental breakdown. Xavier vs Badger didn't really come off as a badass moment to me. As I sat there considering whether or not to repeat a Negan scene, I wondered if holy shit, was the MLB really just covering up their employment of a serial killer? That wasn't badass, that was psychotic.

• I would like to see more neat action scenes like Bonnie in the cornfield from 400 days.
    QTEs get old pretty fast.

• Yah, with one button qte's for killing walkers I would let myself get ate after a while because I would stop bothering to press the button

Louche posted: »

I would like to see more neat action scenes like Bonnie in the cornfield from 400 days. QTEs get old pretty fast.

• The best action scenes are in the Michonne miniseries. It may not have a particularly strong narrative or is exceptionally long, but its cinematography for action scenes stands as the best telltale has to offer.

The use of one-shots and slowmotion in combination with some really nasty sound effects and the generally great art design make them stand out. The only action scenes that are as good are some from the Batman Seasons, three from TWAU (Episode 3 alley fight, episode 4 jersey devil fight & episode 5 bloody marry factory fight) and the final battle of Tales from the Borderlands Episode 5.

• If TFS wants to delve into first-person shooting mechanics, since Clem may be using a bow, I'd ask that you put effort into soldifying those mechanics and adjust the sensitivity so that people won't complain that it's hard to aim. This was actually a pretty big complaint a lot of players had with Season One, nice that Clem saves Molly in Crawford.

• Yeah, i thought about that. They could implement some sort of 3rd-person shooting mechanic in those unscripted combat sections, where you could chose if you want to just shoot them if you have bullets and make noise or if you go in melee, which is riskier but silent. There IS a camera-sensivity slider in the options menu, too.

Ghetsis posted: »

If TFS wants to delve into first-person shooting mechanics, since Clem may be using a bow, I'd ask that you put effort into soldifying those

• Honestly my favorite action sequences are probably from S2 episodes 1 and 2. I like the dog QTE because it comes out of nowhere and just freaks you the fuck out. I also like the bridge QTE because you feel weak and vulnerable, which is good because your an 11 year old girl, and it achieves (IMO) one of the most hectic action QTE’s in the whole series.

• Ooh, third-person, that sounds fun.

GSSalvador posted: »

Yeah, i thought about that. They could implement some sort of 3rd-person shooting mechanic in those unscripted combat sections, where you co

• edited August 2018

Yeah, it could really feel like Resident Evil 4 that way. But who knows? Maybe we won't even fire a single bullet in the game.

Ghetsis posted: »

Ooh, third-person, that sounds fun.

• I was thinking Gears Of War but that's a better representation.

GSSalvador posted: »

Yeah, it could really feel like Resident Evil 4 that way. But who knows? Maybe we won't even fire a single bullet in the game.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.