Scrapped and unused audio, dialogue, animations, scenes, etc...

Comments

• I hope they remaster the 1st two seasons with ANF's graphics

enter image description here

If Sarah really was meant to get that much more focus & development than she actually ended up getting in the final game, I don't think

• Am I the only one who likes the new graphics?

AronDracula posted: »

I hope they remaster the 1st two seasons with ANF's graphics

• No, you're absolutely not.

Am I the only one who likes the new graphics?

• Who's supposed to be this guy ?
    He looks like a unused Troy's model but...
    The background kind reminds me the Fairbanks house from the Michonne series, so maybe he is a unused guard from Norma/Randall then ?

• Rashid.

Yaya67 posted: »

Who's supposed to be this guy ? He looks like a unused Troy's model but... The background kind reminds me the Fairbanks house from the Michonne series, so maybe he is a unused guard from Norma/Randall then ?

• edited August 2017

Carlos was likely intended to have Kenny's role throughout the story, given his foreshadowed issues with aggression, his different ideology from Luke, and the bitter rivalry he and Carver seemed to have.

I feel this would of been better than bringing Kenny back although I do like the character. If they had to bring Kenny back than they could of made a three way rivalry for control over the direction of the group and eventually have a twist with Kenny against Carlos in the final when it would appear to have been Kenny vs Luke. instead of Jane because I never liked the idea of Kenny vs Jane (also that original Jane hardass idea was better too). Maybe give Luke the same death idea still. It was a bit lame but not bad as many others.

I noticed that nearly every time the original ideas for any plot.. were always better than the revised ideas (especially with NF). For season four I think they really need to stick to their first mind.

DabigRG posted: »

Here's some stuff off the top of my head: Season 1 * Doug was supposed to help Lee trap B(his brother) under the telephone pole, rat

• edited August 2017

If they had to bring Kenny back than they could of made a three way rivalry for control over the direction of the group and eventually have a twist with Kenny against Carlos in the final when it would appear to have been Kenny vs Luke. instead of Jane because I never liked the idea of Kenny vs Jane (also that original Jane hardass idea was better too).

...I guess? Idk, Kenny vs Carlos would essentially be two different Shadow Archetypes of Lee squaring off--which might sound interesting for some but honestly seems a bit redundant to me. They'd really have to develop more positive differences between them in that case.

Maybe give Luke the same death idea still. It was a bit lame but not bad as many others.

Agreed.

I noticed that nearly every time the original ideas for any plot.. were always better than the revised ideas (especially with NF). For season four I think they really need to stick to their first mind.

Eh, not always. There will always be a few ideas that sound good on paper, but are difficult if not unfeasible to properly realize in practice.
    And there are a few things on that list that I'm personally happy got cut.

Ladariel posted: »

Carlos was likely intended to have Kenny's role throughout the story, given his foreshadowed issues with aggression, his different ideology

• Oh okay, that's interesting ! So Vanessa and Rashid have their own model and were supposed to be in the game, not just some mentions by Pete...
    And like I said, the background looks like really the fairbanks house, so I guess I was right for that, Rashid and Vanessa were both of them supposed to be there for shelter with the fairbanks family ? Maybe originally we we're supposed to find them instead of Paige ??

What about the Vanessa's model ? Did it exist too ?

Rashid.

• They need to unmaster ANF, and make Season 4 like seasons 1/2. Let put it in a huge bundle :O

I hope they remaster the 1st two seasons with ANF's graphics

• I really don't have any hope for Season 4. After watching that teaser, and the confirmation that this'll be the end of Clem's adventure. I can almost envision exactly what's gonna happen.

Marsh16194 posted: »

They need to unmaster ANF, and make Season 4 like seasons 1/2. Let put it in a huge bundle :O

• Eh, not always. There will always be a few ideas that sound good on paper, but are difficult if not unfeasible to properly realize in practice.

Yeah I know .. hence I said nearly everytime. Might come down to whatever floats your boat far as good story goes but it seems to me that when they cut out a lot of content it weakens the games. Season 1 was still strong in spite of but they probably cut the least content out of season 1.

I mean that Carly/Doug nightmare sounded great. Clem fishing with Alvin in season 2 sounded good I think the 4 way confusing choice for Clementine sounded great. Sam taking her hat, should've stayed in and quite more. The more they cut the worse off the game goes and they cut out a ton of stuff from ANF and you see how that train derailed.

With Carlos and Kenny I was just thinking of one known hot head against a never before seen, referenced hot head. In any case it would not have felt thrown together last minute for no reason like Jane and Kenny. They didn't really talk to each other until the final.

If they had to bring Kenny back than they could of made a three way rivalry for control over the direction of the group and eventually have

• According to Troy's VA, Troy' behavior in earlier versions was much worse. He was apparently molesting Jane.
    • The episode slide for In Harm's Way implies that Rebecca was supposed to give birth or have complications in that episode, I believe there's an unused file that's called "Rebecca_Bloody_Towel".
    • The whole Kenny and Jane fight in No Going Back was different. There's an unused animation somewhere.
    • No Going Back has a really creepy unused soundtrack that was supposed to play for its episode slide. I assume it's unused because it didn't fit the episode.
    • Edith confused Clementine for a boy in unused audio. I think she also mentions having a relative named Christa.

Edith's unused audio starts at 0:29:

No Going Back's original slide music:

• I think he's just modelswapped with one of Norma's men in that pic, but I'm not sure.

The post I found that at had the users(including @Deltino) mention that Vanessa was likely reused as Michonne's friend in the flashback.

Oh okay, that's interesting ! So Vanessa and Rashid have their own model and were supposed to be in the game, not just some mentions by Pete

• According to Troy's VA, Troy' behavior in earlier versions was much worse. He was apparently molesting Jane.

Yeah, pretty much. One of the few things I'm glad got dummied out.

The whole Kenny and Jane fight in No Going Back was different. There's an unused animation somewhere.

I'll have to track the appropriate posts down, but I believe there were textures of Kenny having a broken nose, Jane getting broken glass in her face, and the fight was supposed to end with the two literally at each other's necks, with Jane on top either trying to stab Kenny with her other hand or keeping him from doing so to her. There was also an option to actually shoot Jane.

Edith confused Clementine for a boy in unused audio. I think she also mentions having a relative named Christa.

Oh, so it is true! I saw that in the thread I was digging through yesterday, but wasn't sure if it was true enough to post.

No Going Back has a really creepy unused soundtrack that was supposed to play for its episode slide. I assume it's unused because it didn't fit the episode.

I thought that was meant for Amid the Ruins? Aw well.

NOHATCLEM posted: »

* According to Troy's VA, Troy' behavior in earlier versions was much worse. He was apparently molesting Jane. * The episode slide for In H

• Might come down to whatever floats your boat far as good story goes but it seems to me that when they cut out a lot of content it weakens the games.

Agreed.

Clem fishing with Alvin in season 2 sounded good I think the 4 way confusing choice for Clementine sounded great.

Yeah, this is definitely example of something they shouldn't have cut completely.

The more they cut the worse off the game goes and they cut out a ton of stuff from ANF and you see how that train derailed.

With Carlos and Kenny I was just thinking of one known hot head against a never before seen, referenced hot head. In any case it would not have felt thrown together last minute for no reason like Jane and Kenny. They didn't really talk to each other until the final.

Can't argue with that.

Ladariel posted: »

Eh, not always. There will always be a few ideas that sound good on paper, but are difficult if not unfeasible to properly realize in practi

• There was also an option to actually shoot Jane.

I see no good reasons for cutting it.

According to Troy's VA, Troy' behavior in earlier versions was much worse. He was apparently molesting Jane. Yeah, pretty much. One

• They wanted to make the percentages of that choice more even or something like that, which meant giving Kenny the upper hand no matter what. Gavin Hammon said so in a tweet, I believe.

Still bullshit that you can shoot him after she dies and not vice versa, though.

There was also an option to actually shoot Jane. I see no good reasons for cutting it.

• Still bullshit that you can shoot him after she dies and not vice versa, though.

That is completely out of character for Clementine.

They wanted to make the percentages of that choice more even or something like that, which meant giving Kenny the upper hand no matter what.

• But why we can't even kill Jane just after discover AJ is still alive... We can only leave this bitch behind, that's all. It's absolutely impossible to kill Jane by ourselves, only Kenny can do it ! That's just lame... It's not fair at all. Just saying. And I'm not a fanatic of Kenny, I just wanted to have a good equality and this isn't one !

They wanted to make the percentages of that choice more even or something like that, which meant giving Kenny the upper hand no matter what.

• I don't think what's in character for Clementine was even clear and/or a consideration anymore.

Still bullshit that you can shoot him after she dies and not vice versa, though. That is completely out of character for Clementine.

• I'll have to track the appropriate posts down, but I believe there were textures of Kenny having a broken nose, Jane getting broken glass in her face, and the fight was supposed to end with the two literally at each other's necks, with Jane on top either trying to stab Kenny with her other hand or keeping him from doing so to her. There was also an option to actually shoot Jane.

Mind posting them once you find it? I haven't seen the textures. I've only seen the animation.

I thought that was meant for Amid the Ruins? Aw well.

Amid The Ruins had this play before the episode released:

But for whatever reason it got changed to this after it was released:

According to Troy's VA, Troy' behavior in earlier versions was much worse. He was apparently molesting Jane. Yeah, pretty much. One

• Mind posting them once you find it? I haven't seen the textures. I've only seen the animation.

I haven't seen them either, just saw someone else mention it. So I don't know if they're online.

Amid The Ruins had this play before the episode released:

But for whatever reason it got changed to this after it was released:

Good ol Jolene.

So I guess that means they both had different tracks. Thanks for correcting me on that!

NOHATCLEM posted: »

I'll have to track the appropriate posts down, but I believe there were textures of Kenny having a broken nose, Jane getting broken glass in

• edited August 2017

Yeah, same here. I always just chocked it up to a combination of Kenny being [more] overpowered and Jane being a/[someone else's] Creator's Pet.

But why we can't even kill Jane just after discover AJ is still alive... We can only leave this bitch behind, that's all. It's absolutely im

• There was an option to shoot Jane? That was the whole reason why I even picked up the gun in the first place. Goddamn it, Telltale!

• Yeah Edith says to Kenny "you and your son" thinking Clem was a boy cause of her hat.

• There aren't any in my opinion. Here's what Gavin said about it:

There was also an option to actually shoot Jane. I see no good reasons for cutting it.

• Here's a post talking about it.

There was an option to shoot Jane? That was the whole reason why I even picked up the gun in the first place. Goddamn it, Telltale!

• @Deltino for a large number of these, but sadly it's been so long I can't remember all the direct sources.

Chapter selection for S2 Episode 1 where originally we would've have fishing:

The church that was going to appear near the end of S2 Episode 4 and into Episode 5:

The unused model of Tavia who would've been injured and needed stitching up from an incident that never occurred:

The early designs for S2's episode selection pages with the original episode titles:

There's a lot of other stuff too. Ah, we really need an archive.

• Fish chapter select image is fake and the Amid the Ruins one with the hat is a mod JSYK.

Lilacsbloom posted: »

@Deltino for a large number of these, but sadly it's been so long I can't remember all the direct sources. Chapter selection for S2 Episo

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

As most people can probably tell, that old Carver model was unfinished in some capacity. That, or the way they set up the texture mapping just made the mustache look like crap.

So with that in mind, I decided to go do some digital wizardry with the mustache texture, to see if I could get that mustache to look a bit better.

The result ain't perfect, but it helps make the stache look a lot more like they were intending:

For the more technologically inclined that are curious how I did this: I just separated the mustache from the rest of the mesh, then used photoshop to make an alpha channel for the mustache.

. Credit to @Vivec and @JakeSt123

• Has the original plot of Season 2 been discovered fully yet? I really would like to know why the group didn't end up going to the town like they planned to or even mention it in episode 5 for one.

• Ah, I just realized the thing on the hat one XD I think I actually remember somebody making that now [curse you memoooory] And I looked into the fish picture. On researching it, somebody definitely did find stuff on the files about this with fishes:

It's in Russian:
    https://telltalegames.ru/threads/jessica-brezzo-interview-na-russkom-jazyke.156/

They mentioned finding files for the trout fish and fish traps and show it would look. It looks like these were taken out from the game and this is the person's recreation of them much like how Deltino shows up the stuff in his findings o.o so you're right, it isn't a scrapped chapter select picture.

[The following text is from the google translator.]

If in the game "The Walking Dead" people with ecstasy did not reduce the already greatly diminished population, then on the bank of the stream Clementine would not see the consequences of the shootout, but something like this:

Rogotulya with baskets on ropes and there are those same traps for fish. In archives, the tripod-base with a board and pegs is called "obj_trapFishBase", and the baskets are "obj_trapFish", "obj_trapFishDraped" and "obj_trapBasket". I found only three models of baskets, they differ in size and handle-rope, a large basket does not bend, small ones have "bones" - for these baskets you can make animations, they bend. Most likely the animation was for them.

The principle of the trap is very simple. Baskets have a round entrance in the form of a funnel, the fish can swim into this round hole, but it is very difficult, almost impossible for it, to get back out. It is difficult because the basket is lowered into the water along the river, and even inside the basket it is impossible to turn, if several fish swim there, then in general the seams. In the archives of the game there are not only models, but the phrase said by Clementina - "There 's a lot of fish" (That's a lot of fish). It is possible to estimate purely visually, in a large basket is placed with a dozen fish. There are also fish models in the archives:

And they are made with love. The fish open their mouths, both fins move, the gills open and the carcass bends in all directions. Fishes were 100% animated. Models only two - they are called "obj_trout" and "obj_troutSmall". In this stream there was not anything, but a real rainbow trout. In fact, there is only one fish model, "obj_troutSmall" is a slightly smaller copy of "obj_trout".

"Hey you know what'd be cool. If instead of fishtraps and character time, we just go and dump a load of bodies around there! Think of the suspense!"

God dammit Telltale...I get it, but still, fishing! ;_;

Wish I could find it now, but there was scrapped animation from a demo reel online somewhere, and it features Luke and Nick assisting an injured Pete at the river [with the swapped hairdos]. Then there was another in the same video of Clementine being caught in the cabin by Luke and trying to make a run for it before he stopped her.

Graysonn posted: »

Fish chapter select image is fake and the Amid the Ruins one with the hat is a mod JSYK.

• That's a pretty cool recreation and I never quite understood how the fish traps would have worked so I appreciate you posting this!
    I know there was supposed to be a fishing scene from that interview with Jessica Brezzo, I was just pointing out that it definitely wasn't a chapter select image.

But yeah, the models and stuff are in the files but aren't used. What's interesting is I found these two scrapped UI icons for the fish:

And an icon for the basket.

If you look at the Lua file for the scene itself there's actually quite a bit of leftover code from that section of the game (I like that they call it 'Great Fish Escape')

To add on a bit more, the scene file also references a bunch of stuff like being able to talk to Luke and Alvin, Pete and Nick.

The worst part about them removing the fishing scene is the fact that Clem can't tell Kenny about her first time fishing adventures :(

As for that video you're referencing, I managed to save it but the guy who uploaded it seems to have removed it from his portfolio (a lot of TWD devs are doing that recently...)

Lilacsbloom posted: »

Ah, I just realized the thing on the hat one XD I think I actually remember somebody making that now [curse you memoooory] And I looked into

• Same wondering here, especially when seeing the "Better to sleep" slide of earlier episode 5 (and it was not a "No going back" at this time) + listen the alternative musics select chapter of episodes 4 and 5 + this dark slide for episode 4 who we can even see "Eddie" on the right for sure...

prink34320 posted: »

Has the original plot of Season 2 been discovered fully yet? I really would like to know why the group didn't end up going to the town like they planned to or even mention it in episode 5 for one.

• The Great Fish Escape, I like it T.T aw man, and we even had icons for it too!? I'm curious what percentage of that fishing sequence was completed before they removed it from the game. I would've guessed by all the leftovers and few animations out there, it must've been pretty close to completion.

I think I can understand Telltale changing it so the ending of S2's Episode 1 had more tension going on with the dead bodies and such, since the fishing one might've been a little anticlimactic depending on how it panned out. Still, it's so sad they couldn't insert this in somewhere else in the season, especially when they put so much effort into creating those fishes and the fish traps.

As for that video you're referencing, I managed to save it but the guy who uploaded it seems to have removed it from his portfolio (a lot of TWD devs are doing that recently...)

I just checked my computer and found I backed it up too. I know I would've done if I could at the time...it had Luke in it >.>

And I just noticed, one bit of code mentions one of the fish getting away. Curious, did you happen to find anything else like that?

That's a pretty cool recreation and I never quite understood how the fish traps would have worked so I appreciate you posting this! I know

• Actualy, Deltino once mentioned that all of those images were likely placeholders for the Cabin Group. Eddie in particular was apparently a piece of concept used in 400 Days promotion or something.

Same wondering here, especially when seeing the "Better to sleep" slide of earlier episode 5 (and it was not a "No going back" at this time)

• Sean Ainsworth mentioned it in the Telltale Stream, but I don't remember the specifics other than they really did plan on going there, but the staff that did No Going Back changed it for whatever reason.

prink34320 posted: »

Has the original plot of Season 2 been discovered fully yet? I really would like to know why the group didn't end up going to the town like they planned to or even mention it in episode 5 for one.

• As for that video you're referencing, I managed to save it but the guy who uploaded it seems to have removed it from his portfolio (a lot of TWD devs are doing that recently...)

Oh, so that's why I couldn't find it yesterday! That sucks.

That's a pretty cool recreation and I never quite understood how the fish traps would have worked so I appreciate you posting this! I know

• "Better to sleep" - Seeing a shadow going to the city at the horizon (probably Clementine ?)

I'm wondering how the season 2 ends in their initial planning. Maybe there was only one ending at this very earlier time ? A ending which Clementine manages to survive alone and rise the city (Earlier version of Wellington ?) and the final choice was like "Go to Wellington" or "Stay away from Wellington" ?
    AJ was maybe or not with Clementine, there was maybe a choice in episode 5 which you had the choice to leave him behind or not... That would have been really dark.
    And for the others ? What else ? Is it even possible that everyone in clementine's group was supposed to die in the gunfight at the end of episode 4 ? (except Clementine and AJ) that would have make the episode 5 so different... And interesting too. I mean, that could have been a opportunity to make us concern about AJ and have a whole episode to take care of him (before the choice to leave him or not, near the end)

I don't know, just imagine how the things could have been so different, the "Better to sleep" original slide makes me dreaming about a more sad and dark ending for the season 2 ^^

Sean Ainsworth mentioned it in the Telltale Stream, but I don't remember the specifics other than they really did plan on going there, but the staff that did No Going Back changed it for whatever reason.

• Yeah I don't buy the 'placeholder' argument, at least in Eddie's case.

Actualy, Deltino once mentioned that all of those images were likely placeholders for the Cabin Group. Eddie in particular was apparently a piece of concept used in 400 Days promotion or something.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.