Pre Aquaman reviews - DCEU Discussion

edited November 2018 in General Chat

Because why not. Everything DC Extended Universe/Worlds of DC related goes in here.

enter image description here

*How has the DCEU/WoDC changed since it's first entry?
*Are you enjoying it so far, why or why not?
*Who is your favorite character so far?(Or most anticipated)
*Most anticipated DCEU/WoDC Movie?
*Favorite and least favorite DCEU/WoDC Movie?

DCEU/WoDC Movie Schedule:
Aquaman, December 21st 2018

Shazam 2019

Wonder Woman 2 2019

Suicide Squad 2 ????

Nightwing ????

The Batman ????

Green Lantern Corps ????

Justice League 2 ????

Tagged:

Comments

• New images

Mera
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGvd2dsUwAA3upR.jpg

Batman's carrier, the Flying Fox
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DG5BMi5UwAAq0ai.jpg

• I hate the DCEU personally. They've completely butchered one of my favorite characters (Superman) and his lore completely to the point that even when they (hopefully) give him to a director that's not Zack Snyder, there's only so much they can do to try to save this version. On top of that the movies are completely incoherent, illogical, and have no actual enjoyable story or characters for me.

Wonder Woman is the only movie that's been half decent. It was an alright movie, with Steve Trevor/Chris Pine really being the saving grace of it.

• Man of Steel= Meh.

BvS= Meh.

Suicide Squad= Sucked hard

Wonder Woman= Decent.

I'm not too enthusiastic about the DCEU unless Justice League, Flash, and Aquaman turn out to be good.

• My first DCEU film I've watched is Suicide Squad. I guess that was a mistake but I enjoyed it with my sister and parents. I tried to watch BvS but I stopped after 30 minutes, I hated the pacing of that movie. I might watch Wonder Woman when it's physically released.

• I don't understand why people don't like Man of Steel. It was really good imo

• All of the DCEU is shit except Wonder Woman, which is only decent. Bruce Timm's DCAU is better by a thousand miles.

• Midly agree

All of the DCEU is shit except Wonder Woman, which is only decent. Bruce Timm's DCAU is better by a thousand miles.

• Think the tone may and destructive third act may have played a role, or that what I think personally. The thrid acts in these movies so far have been cgi explosion fest, which I why I hope they fix that with justice league.

I don't understand why people don't like Man of Steel. It was really good imo

• Pacing and editing was worse in suicide squad in my opinion, you could see it during the office fight but yeah pacing between the two films were off, that needs to be fixed in justice league and beyond.

AronDracula posted: »

My first DCEU film I've watched is Suicide Squad. I guess that was a mistake but I enjoyed it with my sister and parents. I tried to watch B

• Yeah, a lot is riding on the JL. Wonder Womans sucess will help push the movie so now all it have to do is be good. Aquaman is looking to be something increbile from the stuff presented at comic con. "Star Wars underwater" from what bloggers witness during the pannel. So I'm definantely looking forward to that. As for this flash, he has to grow on me first before the.

ralo229 posted: »

Man of Steel= Meh. BvS= Meh. Suicide Squad= Sucked hard Wonder Woman= Decent. I'm not too enthusiastic about the DCEU unless Justice League, Flash, and Aquaman turn out to be good.

• welllllllllllllll to take off some of the negativity here (ironic considering how much i despise the recent dceu choices) i actually have high hopes for the dceu even now. sure it's had a rocky start, but phase one of marvel had incredible hulk, iron man 2 and thor and now it's cranking out fantastic films like spider-man homecoming and guardians of the galaxy. so i still have hope that zack snyder and his gang can pull something really good out of the dceu before it's all over. especially considering all the talent attached to it. gal gadot and ben affleck are fantastic, clearly something's gotta give soon, and some of that has shined. between affleck's batman, zack snyder's stunning visuals and even the amazing soundtracks, i think the dceu has some serious potential, and i hope justice league will at least be kinda good.

• Last time I checked, Matthew Vaughn is being eyed for Man of Steel 2. He has a good track record too(Kingman: Secret Service, X-men Firsclass and Days of Future)

I hate the DCEU personally. They've completely butchered one of my favorite characters (Superman) and his lore completely to the point that

• Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn is what made me watch the whole movie. I think she did a great performance.

MasterStone posted: »

Pacing and editing was worse in suicide squad in my opinion, you could see it during the office fight but yeah pacing between the two films were off, that needs to be fixed in justice league and beyond.

• you know i'd argue that point, but compared to every other actor she actually pulled off a pretty decent performance so yeah, i can understand that. at least she's not as bad as will smith.

come on, will! you're supposed to be a ruthless killer! stop being such a likable and endearing character with your poorly written lines you cheap fuck!

Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn is what made me watch the whole movie. I think she did a great performance.

• God, I don't know what's my opinion on Will Smith. I Am Legend is the worst movie I've ever watched.

you know i'd argue that point, but compared to every other actor she actually pulled off a pretty decent performance so yeah, i can understa

• i actually thought i am legend was quite brilliant and well made, especially if you watched the director's cut with the original ending. he pulled off a pretty good performance in that film. he's a very capable actor which makes it very odd how awful he is in suicide squad.

God, I don't know what's my opinion on Will Smith. I Am Legend is the worst movie I've ever watched.

• I did but I heard that the canon ending is him committing suicide which means it will never get a sequel. I didn't actually hate him in that movie but he is casted in the film that I hate so much.

I am legend? More like "I am doomed".

i actually thought i am legend was quite brilliant and well made, especially if you watched the director's cut with the original ending. he

• I did but I heard that the canon ending is him committing suicide

the canon ending is actually the original ending. studios just thought it'd be too dark and artsy (lot of amazing symbolism behind the original ending) so they changed it to something lame and "america fuck yea!" like.

which means it will never get a sequel.

not everything needs a sequel, man. some things can just exist on their own. we don't always need to pull a marvel and build a cinematic universe, i think the film ended the way it really should have all along.

I am legend? More like "I am doomed".

well, yeah. i am doomed is basically the symbolism. i am legend just refers to the fact that he was the last remaining human (that he knew of at the time) in new york city. the whole point of the film was that the monsters were just the next step of human evolution, and they were just trying to survive like humans did thousands of years ago. the twist is that will smith was the monster the whole time, he killed innocent beings because he didn't understand them. gotta look deeper than the surface level, aron. there's always something beneath.

I did but I heard that the canon ending is him committing suicide which means it will never get a sequel. I didn't actually hate him in that movie but he is casted in the film that I hate so much. I am legend? More like "I am doomed".

• edited August 2017

Yeah I would love it if that rumor was true, especially if he got Mark Millar to work on the script. The two have worked together before and Mark Millar is a big Superman fan and has written some really good Superman comics

Whoever ends up working on it would still have to work hard to salvage what can be saved of this version of the character regardless though.

Last time I checked, Matthew Vaughn is being eyed for Man of Steel 2. He has a good track record too(Kingman: Secret Service, X-men Firsclass and Days of Future)

• Only film that I've liked out of all of these was Wonder Woman. Have no intention on seeing any of the upcoming films other then the Wonder Woman sequel.

• It's a more realistic look at the character, it doesn't get him wrong, it just doesn't follow Christopher Reeves' portrayal (which wouldn't work in the modern age). I've grown to like Man of Steel, a part of me always liked it for how the first 40 or so minutes set him up as this outsider, and you see people treating him badly etc.

Think the tone may and destructive third act may have played a role, or that what I think personally. The thrid acts in these movies so far have been cgi explosion fest, which I why I hope they fix that with justice league.

• edited August 2017

Man of Steel is the best DCEU movie for me (though I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet). I have my gripes with it, but overall I think it's a good movie with a great score. I watched it at least a year after it came out, so I didn't really set myself up with expectations. It actually does some proper character building, and its a modern take on Superman (showing his humble beginnings as opposed to just saving people right out of the gate). I actually cared about Clark/Superman in this movie. Zod was also almost a great villain, still a good performance from him nonetheless.

BvS is a movie I was heavily disappointed by. It's a lifeless, pretentious mess. It ruined what was built up in Man of Steel, Batman being a cynical idiot with some great fight scenes also left me with the same result of not feeling anything for the characters. Jesse Eisenberg was horribly miscast. The Ultimate edition fixes some editing issues, but it makes the movie 30 minutes longer, and I completely understand why some people wouldn't want to bother by that point.

Suicide Squad is just flat out bad. It's one of the worst movies I've seen in a while. Edited by the people who edited the trailer, forced pop songs that simply don't work with how frequently they are used. Waste of a mostly good cast, who were well cast in their roles, but were given nothing good to work with.

I just thought I would type how I feel about these movies, because I'm a big DC fan and I want to like the DCEU. Wonder Woman seems like it was a good first step but I can't really speak for it. If the movies make no effort to make us care for these versions of the characters, then why would the audience bother?

My expectations are pretty low, but I hope Justice League is good.

• I really liked Man Of Steel, thought it was awesome, but I didn't like what Superman does at the end with Zod, but I can look past it since Superman just started out has not yet become the classic and iconic Superman we all know and love.

I didn't like the BVS theatrical cut at all, it was weird and made no sense, thankfully, I got the ultimate edition and watched it, it helped the movie make a lot more sense. There are still things I don't like about the movie though, like Batman killing, but this can be sort of excused by all the heroes of DCEU are going to become the iconic ones by Justice League. Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, I just don't understand at all. I get the type of Lex they were trying to go for, I forget the name of story, it was Superman something but Lex in that story acts pretty similar to Eisenberg's Lex, but for my personal taste, I just prefer the regular Lex we had before.

Suicide Squad, this is a movie ruined by the executives cutting the film, putting in these weird edits and shit. Joker was ruined with his stupid tattoos and all of his dumb lines, they did get awesome actor to play him, but the performance was ruined by the editors, I wish we could have gotten the darker cut of the film like it was shown in the first trailer with Joker. Also, don't cut all of Joker's scenes, and he should've been the main villain. The only thing this movie gets right are Harley Quinn, Deadshot, and Amanda Waller.

I did not see Wonder Woman yet. but I plan to, the reviews have been good and that is huge news for a DC movie nowadays.

Anyways, my thoughts are that the DCEU might've had a bumpy start, but if Justice League does well, I think we'll have a hopeful future ahead of it.

• edited October 2017
  • Looks like Snyder goes out with a bang.. Most of the reviews criticize the cgi and weak villain, but the characters seem on point.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justice_league_2017/

Has anyone seen it yet? I plan on seeing this week or next. Let us know how you felt about it? Did you like the characters? Would like like to see more of them? What didn't you like about the movie?

• DCEU is doing a terrible job. I think it was a mistake to release Justice League this early. They should have released the solo movies for Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash (Is the Flash show canon to DCEU?) before JL movie just like they should have released The Batman solo movie before BvS because it causes trouble when it comes to character development.

• I'm rather hesitant on watching Justice League considering that I wasn't all that fond of the DCEU films compared to Marvel. It just seems that Marvel knows how to consistently make good superhero films, but DCEU goes about it the wrong way most of the times.

Wonder Woman was one of their films that I honestly enjoyed watching, and I consider it to be on the same level as most of Marvel's films.

• Arrow verse is separated, for now at least

DCEU is doing a terrible job. I think it was a mistake to release Justice League this early. They should have released the solo movies for C

• I've been a pretty big fan of the dceu so far;
    Man of Steel= awesome
    BvS= Great
    suicide squad= bad
    Wonder woman= great

I'm super excited for Justice League since Zack Snyder is one of my favorite directors and I love his work on Man of steel and watchmen.

• edited November 2017

Tolispro posted: »

I've been a pretty big fan of the dceu so far; Man of Steel= awesome BvS= Great suicide squad= bad Wonder woman= great I'm super exci

• edited November 2017

Welp, looks like Justice League got worse in Rotten Tomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justice_league_2017

• Fuck Rottentomatoes, can't rate a single thing right. I prefer IMDb, where it has a pretty solid rating right now. I enjoyed it greatly.

Welp, looks like Justice League got worse in Rotten Tomatoes. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justice_league_2017

• Care to elaborate? Also, don't tell me you let rotten tomatoes tell you what to do, watch the movie and see for yourself. Human beings are capable of forming their own opinions, I personally don't let a random number on a website stop me from enjoying a film.

• edited November 2017

It saddens me.
    Personally, I felt that that the DC films were no worse than the Marvel films.
    I hate the Marvel films and I was hoping that my newfound distaste of superhero films was because of the Marvel formula(dramedy popcorn flicks). I felt Fox was handling X-Men better, but now people hate those as well as DC.
    As much as I love Batman, I just can't do it anymore. I need a break from superhero films.
    I think we all do. Give it a few years and come back fresh, with a new vision.

• Will you please just take a breath for a moment? I don't believe in anything whatsoever. There is no one to trust 100%. Not Metacritic, not Rotten Tomatoes, not IGN etc.

watch the movie and see for yourself.

I'd rather watch it online instead of going to a theater and possibly walking out of there disappointed.

Human beings are capable of forming their own opinions

Who told you that I don't know that?

Tolispro posted: »

Care to elaborate? Also, don't tell me you let rotten tomatoes tell you what to do, watch the movie and see for yourself. Human beings are c

• They need to scrap it and start again.

• It was said that Ben Affleck leaves DCEU and might get replaced by Jake Gyllenhaal. I dunno anything about that guy but I doubt he will do it better than Affleck.

• I think Ben may stay on for The Batman OR leave after the Flashpoint movie, but if not Jake has a few good movies on his resume.(Nightcrawler and Southpaw to name a few)

It was said that Ben Affleck leaves DCEU and might get replaced by Jake Gyllenhaal. I dunno anything about that guy but I doubt he will do it better than Affleck.

• Also something i suddenly began to notice, the DCEU solo movies have been their strong suits. MoS and Wonder Woman ended up being well received than the 3 team ups. Maybe they should just stick with solo's and comeback to the team ups later, idk. Let's see with Aquaman

• In spite of a few strong performances, Justice League is less than stellar to put it kindly which is a real shame. One thing it does do is make me look forward to the Aquaman solo film. I do hope they find a director and a writing team that can bring the Justice League in a better light.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.