Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• Yeah, I noticed that in some videos. I just thought it was a resolution quirk or something.

Almost looks like Joan's farting backwards. Nice job taking the pic, though.

This one's semi-related. The lighting of this scene varies depending on whether you met with Ava at David's house or left Gabe at the hospital and tried to escape Richmond with Kate.

• I really hope that cow ran off and had her calf in the woods somewhere safe away from the walkers.

Dan7Bip5 posted: »

So I'm replaying the entire TWD series and I just finished S1E2. I forgot to give Clem her hat back before going to get the multitool. The n

• Just curious, does Clementine still carry mementos of those from her former groups in ANF, (ex. Pete's Watch, Sarah's glasses) if the right conditions are met?

• Nope. In fact, all of those things just disappear unless necessary in the next episode as far as I can tell.

Just curious, does Clementine still carry mementos of those from her former groups in ANF, (ex. Pete's Watch, Sarah's glasses) if the right conditions are met?

• I swear, they just act like the last seasons never happened in ANF, unless it's absolutely necessary.

DabigRG posted: »

Nope. In fact, all of those things just disappear unless necessary in the next episode as far as I can tell.

• I meant that for the episodes of each season/installment.

I swear, they just act like the last seasons never happened in ANF, unless it's absolutely necessary.

• edited August 2017

Some dug up UNSEEN concept art

enter image description here

SCRAPED SLAUGHTERHOUSE

• Where is it then?

Some dug up UNSEEN concept art SCRAPED SLAUGHTERHOUSE

• edited August 2017

wanted to ask the same thing lol

EDIT: I see the images now. Good find!

Where is it then?

• edited August 2017

Nevermind

Where is it then?

• I mean it would take an incredible attention to detail and past seasons to actually show that, but in my head canon I like to think she has mementos

Just curious, does Clementine still carry mementos of those from her former groups in ANF, (ex. Pete's Watch, Sarah's glasses) if the right conditions are met?

• RIP Slaughterhouse you were too good for this world

• Admittedly, it would've been nice to have certain things like that be present in the Wellington ending for old times sake.

I mean it would take an incredible attention to detail and past seasons to actually show that, but in my head canon I like to think she has mementos

• Doesn't feel like an authentic Walking Dead story

Then why is your game rated M?

• Hope Clementine stumbles across the slaughterhouse in Season 4, if not I will be fuming!

• what if david was clem's father all along

just imagine guys

gabentine would be dead forever and clementine would have like, four ethnicities (black, asian, latina and x-men)

• Imagine if Clementine fucked off after the talk with Lingard like she should've.
    Easy to do, isn't it?

what if david was clem's father all along just imagine guys gabentine would be dead forever and clementine would have like, four ethnicities (black, asian, latina and x-men)

• stop

Imagine if Clementine fucked off after the talk with Lingard like she should've. .... Easy to do, isn't it?

• edited August 2017

I just need to know...

enter image description here Why wasn't this included in the final game?

Deltino posted: »

Here's the unused Jane grave, which I assume was supposed to be part of her episode 1 flashback

• You know I'm right.

stop

• edited August 2017

I apologize for this.

Saw it (the concept art for the grave and marker). Thought it would have healed SOME of the damage done by the muck up of Jane's demise.

For me, it's hard to let things go.

MaconMajr posted: »

I just need to know... Why wasn't this included in the final game?

• Great.

TheDerpGod posted: »

Tripp working at docs makes him seem even more like Kenny.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited August 2017

Oh slaughterhouse, slaughterhouse, slaughterhouse... everyone's favorite scrapped location from season 3.

Except it wasn't scrapped.

Sorry all you bright-eyed boys and girls holding out hope to see the slaughterhouse again, but we've already seen it.

So here we have some concept art of it. Let's look at few details we can make out:

• The blue/green tiled pillars, and the support beams

• The overhanging metal beams

• The overgrowth on the pillars/beams

• The lamps

Now let's go back to a location we saw in episode 3: the factory.

Now, let's see what details we can make out in the pictures of this factory:

• Blue/green tiled pillars, along with support beams

• Overhanging metal beams

• Low hanging lamps

• Overgrowth on the pillars/beams

I think you know where this is heading, ladies and gents--

The factory from episode 3 is the slaughterhouse (or at least, what remains of the map and art assets). The slaughterhouse-related equipment (hooks, saws, etc) was just replaced with all the stolen loot.

Perhaps that's still not enough to convince you. Well, how about this then?

Those blue/green tiles on the pillar/wall?

Yep, it's using slaughterhouse textures.

Or how about those warning signs in the background?

Yeah, those are from the slaughterhouse, too.

Now for one last comparison, let's head back to the only known screenshot of the slaughterhouse, back before S3 started:

The image is pretty dark and cluttered, but there's a few details seen in both the concept art and the factory that can still be seen here: the low-hanging lamps, and the overhanging metal beams. And off to the bottom right, you can make out one of those tiled pillars.

So to sum it up-- the slaughterhouse was indeed used in the game... it just serves a different purpose than what everyone was expecting it to.

edited August 2017

With that out of the way, let's go back to something a bit more positive.

So, the "Your Clementine became" summary at the end talks about the flashback you got, and other stuff Clementine did throughout the season. In the Kenny flashback, the exact wording changes based on your final words to Kenny. If you choose "I won't give up on you!" the summary will say something to the effect of "Clementine was unable to drag a broken Kenny to safety."

Interestingly though, there's a unique one if you just stay silent.

Clementine enjoyed brief, happy days with Kenny and AJ, playing shadow puppets and dreaming of Florida. When they finally set off, a terrible accident changed all their lives, leaving Clem and AJ on their own.

As you can probably tell, this one directly references the episode 4 flashback you have with Kenny.

And while we're on the subject of the episode 4 flashback, choices made in S2 do indeed have a determinant impact on what Kenny says.

• When you choose "It's worth fighting for", Kenny will mention what he did to Carver. This changes depending on whether or not you watched him do it. If you watched Kenny kill Carver, he says "What I did to Carver, I did for you." If you left with Sarita, however, the line changes to "I'm glad you didn't see what I did to Carver... but I did it for you."

• The choice to hold AJ back in Amid The Ruins changes a small bit of Kenny's dialogue. If you held him, Kenny will say "You know, the first time I saw you holdin' AJ, it just looked so natural. Somewhere up there, his mama is lookin' down on you, grateful for what you're doing." If you didn't hold AJ, the line changes: "I know it seemed a lot at first, but the way you've taken to AJ... I'm sure his mom is lookin' down from up there, grateful for what you're doing."

On another topic, in Ava's death scene, you can actually see the walker inside the car just before it lunges at Ava.

Take a close look at 0:11. In the bottom right, you can see part of the walker behind Javi.

And finally, we have this:

This is a height chart of the S1 characters that appear in episode 1... found in the files for episode 2, funnily enough. Now unfortunately, there isn't a higher quality image of this (I already had to stretch the image out so you could even make out the characters), but we get to see some concept art that, to my knowledge, hasn't been seen before: Doug, Glenn, Shawn, Katjaa, Larry, and the cop from the beginning of the game.

We've seen the other characters before, though. Kenny, Duck, Carley and Hershel are available as profile pictures on here, and the Lee + Clementine concepts were released in higher quality. But it's still interesting, nonetheless.

• ???

Myopia, lol

• It was scrapped. The idea of it at least, and changed into something else less interesting.

Oh slaughterhouse, slaughterhouse, slaughterhouse... everyone's favorite scrapped location from season 3. Except it wasn't scrapped. S

• I forget who that was aimed at, but the point is they're a hypocritical asshole who karma circled around for.

Fangirl101 posted: »

???

• Oh yeah, I remember someone mentioning that the factory was cobbled from what remains of the slaughterhouse. I'm fine with either one, to be honest.

Oh slaughterhouse, slaughterhouse, slaughterhouse... everyone's favorite scrapped location from season 3. Except it wasn't scrapped. S

• Good job on the discovery, Bossman!

With that out of the way, let's go back to something a bit more positive. So, the "Your Clementine became" summary at the end talks about

and changed into something else less interesting.

Implying the slaughterhouse was some super interesting idea to begin with, and not just some shangri-la that everyone built up inside their heads based off of a picture and a couple vague hints-- AKA, hyping up something you don't know that much about, then getting pissed when ends up not being as good as you convinced yourself it would be. Like, correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't that pretty much what happened with No Man's Sky? Or Watch Dogs? Or most games that had some cool trailer/gameplay/premise released, and turned out to be not-so-great in the end, thanks to both the devs and the community each going about things the wrong way?

Seriously, we don't even know what purpose this slaughterhouse served. Everyone's just speculating on a location based off a single vague photo, and some vague old excerpts from the game files. Of course it's going to become some fantastic part of the story... because you're literally making it into one yourself.

Ask yourself this-- do you:

• why this location was part of the story?

• know what the purpose of ending up in this location was?

• know what happened in this location to make it worth visiting?

• know how this location ties into the rest of the story in any meaningful way?

Chances are, you can't answer all of those. Which in layman's terms means: you don't know jack-shit about this place. You don't know what happened there, why it happened, how it happened, or how it relates to anything else in the game. All you know is vague pre-release crap that your own mind created some interesting story out of... and now everyone's pissed that their own pre-constructed thoughts didn't come true.

I can almost guarantee you, if in some other universe where the slaughterhouse wasn't changed, it'd have shown up for all of 10 minutes, and would be nothing like anyone here convinced themselves into thinking it would be. Everyone's immediate reaction on here would probably end up being "What the hell? That sucked! I expected so much better!"... which is the same reaction everyone has now. So effectively, nothing would even change.

Going back to what I said earlier, this whole ordeal with the slaughterhouse is a smaller form of the exact same thing people keep doing to games: see some interesting pre-release stuff, hype the game up to ridiculous levels, wait for the game to release... only for all of those expectations to come tumbling down like a jenga tower. Then complain endlessly about how crap it turned out to be, run the game through the mud, vow to never forget what happened. Then do the exact same thing again with a different game, as if you haven't learned a single thing from what happened last time.

Apologies for going off on a tangent, but I'm getting a little bit sick of everyone acting like this random-ass building from the first quarter of the game was going to be the new lord and savior of the game.

It was scrapped. The idea of it at least, and changed into something else less interesting.

• I still don't understand...

I forget who that was aimed at, but the point is they're a hypocritical asshole who karma circled around for.

• Great find! :)

With that out of the way, let's go back to something a bit more positive. So, the "Your Clementine became" summary at the end talks about

• edited August 2017

@Deltino Was there any scrapped choices, scenes or lines in Michonne Mini-Series?

• Yeah, I honestly didn't quite get all of the excitement people had for it, especially given that "too much action" and "too much shock value" are some of the most common complaints of new TWDG installments.

Like, don't get me wrong, if it actually added something constructive to the storyline and people did end up truly enjoying it, then good. However, as is, all I really see with it beyond possibly being an explanation for the walker troops is a sequence that's pretty out of theme with the story we got and an opportunity for people to get stealthy and action-y with Clementine.

and changed into something else less interesting. Implying the slaughterhouse was some super interesting idea to begin with, and not

• I was hoping for a gutted and dressed Gabe on a hook...is that too much to ask for?

and changed into something else less interesting. Implying the slaughterhouse was some super interesting idea to begin with, and not

• AKA, hyping up something you don't know that much about, then getting pissed when ends up not being as good as you convinced yourself it would be. Like, correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't that pretty much what happened with No Man's Sky? Or Watch Dogs?

That's incredibly disingenuious and you know it. Go watch a video of Watch Dogs E3 material or hell, just look at this video:

Go do the same for No Mans Sky. Of course there were people who hyped themselves up to unbelievable heights but to pretend that this is purely a consumer problem and not a fucking terrible company outright lying in promotional material (NMS Multiplayer anyone?) is NOT in the slightest the fault of the consumer. How can you even defend that?

Seriously, we don't even know what purpose this slaughterhouse served. Everyone's just speculating on a location based off a single vague photo, and some vague old excerpts from the game files. Of course it's going to become some fantastic part of the story... because you're literally making it into one yourself.

I think it's more that the ideas of the story/theme that the slaughterhouse brings are far more interesting than A New Frontier as a entire game. It's actually more interesting to discuss what didn't make it into the game than actually discuss the mess that makes up ANF.

Going back to what I said earlier, this whole ordeal with the slaughterhouse is a smaller form of the exact same thing people keep doing to games: see some interesting pre-release stuff, hype the game up to ridiculous levels, wait for the game to release... only for all of those expectations to come tumbling down like a jenga tower.

Why are you defending horrible marketing practices? I don't understand this at all. The Ubisoft downgrades video I linked is a perfect example of that. This isn't changing a character wearing a hat to not wearing a hat or something miniscule like that. It's changing massive chunks of the game both visually and mechancially.

In a modern day Telltale game, all we really have when it boils down to it are QTE's, hub sections and cutscenes. Each episode has now gotten shorter over the past few years with less interactivity and the stories (at least in TWD) have been complete garbage as of late and people were understandably clinging onto what they thought could be an exciting scenario that hasn't been explored in TWD before (There were St John's sure but not on a grandoise scale) in the hopes that it might rejuvinate the series a bit.

2 out of the 3 promotional screenshots didn't make it into the game. When you take out a scene that obviously had interest to some people (I'm reminded of @BetterToSleep 's Capricorn farm thread for example) people are understandably going to be frustrated because what we're left with when those things are removed is dogshit. Would the slaughterhouse have been interesting? I obviously have no idea. It could easily have failed and been just like you said. But the fact remains that we will never know and what we're left with doesn't fill up that gap that the slaughterhouse maybe could have filled.

• Pretty sure we know it was where Clem and Javi were originally going to meet, after both being imprisoned there by the NF, and where they'd bond while helping each other break out which already makes infinitely more sense than the entire situation with Clem knocking a tree into the road as a truck goes by and Clem and Javi becoming best friends walking through the woods together

• This! A million times this! If you look at the content in the game and think that's shit, then the cut stuff must have been unholy.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.