Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• Javier and Clementine are the best team since Rick and Morty.

I kept this with me for months, back when ANF was still in development. The original name of the image suggests that it was going to be a key art for the first episode.

• I’m gonna have to disagree with you on that. Lee and Clementine are a better team.

Melton23 posted: »

Javier and Clementine are the best team since Rick and Morty.

• Did you know that Molly is most likely to return than Christa and Lilly? Which makes me sad as Gary Whitta wrote Molly and Telltale said Season 1 character will most likely be returning. Remember he only wrote episode 4 which makes me think that Molly will appear. This will be stupid if this is the case, as Molly’s story ark is complete, she doesn’t need to return, Telltale!

• Which is funny, considering Rick and Morty are pretty disfunctional from the episodes I've watch.

In which...yeah, they're not really that either. Honestly, from a broad standpoint, the dynamic between Clementine and Javier is one of the main disappointments with ANF. Even if it is ultimately negligible--but that's part of the problem.

Javier and Clementine are the best team since Rick and Morty.

• Agreed. Honestly, Molly would be better off getting a spinoff issue if she really had to return to the limelight.

Did you know that Molly is most likely to return than Christa and Lilly? Which makes me sad as Gary Whitta wrote Molly and Telltale said Sea

• If clem and lee were a better team then clem wouldn’t have gotten lee killed ;) she seems to be working well with Javier so far so best team ever

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

I’m gonna have to disagree with you on that. Lee and Clementine are a better team.

• edited November 2017

Clementine was young and naive when Lee died, she wasn’t mature and cold as she was now. Still, Lee and Clementine have been through a lot more together than Javier and her.

Besides, Clem’s relationships with Javier is the same with her and Luke back in S2.

If clem and lee were a better team then clem wouldn’t have gotten lee killed she seems to be working well with Javier so far so best team ever

• Yeah, it’s Clementine’s fault for getting kidnapped, what an awful protagonist.

If clem and lee were a better team then clem wouldn’t have gotten lee killed she seems to be working well with Javier so far so best team ever

• I like Carley's delivery of "Dead girl walking."
    Kinda glad they cut that Lilly line about back in the drugstore. It doesn't really make sense.
    Kenny also shoves you if you don't make a choice there.
    I'm pretty sure Kenny's dying gags if you pulled up Ben are still in the game.
    Kenny saying he was gonna leave Lee and Clementine was probably better off being left out. A little too dickish for him at that point.
    I think we all would've liked more scenes with Mark.
    I think we could've used more voting scenes in the later seasons/installments in particular.
    I'm guessing Mark getting shot there is the result of not hacking off Mr. Parker's leg. Also, Lee got dem bunnies!
    Gotta love that variation to telling Kenny what happened to Ben. :lol:
    Good Lord, the textures on the Garcia Bros. Why was that scene scrapped anyway?

Gameserer posted: »

Found this

• Besides, Clem’s relationships with Javier is the same with her and Luke back in S2.

Not really.

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

Clementine was young and naive when Lee died, she wasn’t mature and cold as she was now. Still, Lee and Clementine have been through a lot m

• nice

Found this

• edited November 2017

Seeing deleted content is always such a love/hate thing. Such a mistake cutting out these scenes.
    The dream scene is great, though a bit heavyhanded. But again, it's a dream so that's okay. Always thought it was weird there was one in episode 1 and episode 3, but not the others.
    And look, Lilly's deleted line from the preview. Except in her proper voice.
    Lee physically trying to stop Kenny? Again, makes more sense. And Kenny actually acknowledging Clem saw it makes him less prickish.
    I knew some of that scrapped dairy choice lines made it into the final game with the little-used "Stay at the motel" option. Which is good, Larry and Lilly's snarky lines are too good to lose.

But this can't be all scrapped scenes. Where's the scene of Lee running through the woods from the ep 2 preview? Or the scene of the bandits spying on them from the brush, with Kenny saying there's going to be a war? and for Ep 3: The chat with Lee and Clem on the train about Lilly "Do people get mad when they're scared?" That line isn't in the game, although there is similar dialogue in the Lee flashback in season 2, maybe that's a repurposed scene?
    Most regrettably, where's the part where Omid and Christa are shown fighting zombies at (presumably) the train station? We should have seen them do something more before they joined the group
    Maybe those are not in the game files in the final product, but still calling this "ALL SCRAPPED SCENES" is a lie. Just saying. There's still a lot more.

Found this

• Mark Darin wrote Shel's story. He was inspired by a scene that happened only in the TV show in which Rick and Hershel brought a bandit kid to Hershel's farm.
    He also modeled Boyd after Dale, the moral compass of Rick's group.

• Interesting. Sounds like an episode I should keep in mind if I ever get around to watching.

Fangirl101 posted: »

Mark Darin wrote Shel's story. He was inspired by a scene that happened only in the TV show in which Rick and Hershel brought a bandit kid to Hershel's farm. He also modeled Boyd after Dale, the moral compass of Rick's group.

• That's really cool. I guess Tavia was a businesswoman or something.

Arctic0ne posted: »

Tavia's paper that was supposed to be on the bulletin board and her picture

• Ava was rustling in the bushes(or taking a piss from the actual sound of it), but was hiding behind two boulders when she revealed herself.

• I bet you haven't seen this little alternative version of a scene from Michonne

Usually what happens is that Sam points out the house, then immediately passes out. However, she can black out before she tells you where the house is, which slightly changes the scene.

• Interesting find, Bossman. Any idea what causes that?

I'm just gonna assume Michonne's machete is a lightsaber.

Deltino posted: »

I bet you haven't seen this little alternative version of a scene from Michonne Usually what happens is that Sam points out the house

• Technically not a detail but I don't think anyone really cares - the slaughterhouse as it looked in-game:

• Kidnapped? I thought she ran away to the stranger?

Yeah, it’s Clementine’s fault for getting kidnapped, what an awful protagonist.

• edited November 2017

It was technically a little bit of both, most likely: she snuck out to meet him and they took off for the motel, dropping her hat in the process. At some point after they somehow got back into the motel, she either started to figure out that something's not right or simply had second thoughts and tried to contact Lee, but got caught doing so by the Stranger coming back and he ended up locking her in the closet so she wouldn't run outside.

prink34320 posted: »

Kidnapped? I thought she ran away to the stranger?

• It twas a bright and sunny day...

Graysonn posted: »

Technically not a detail but I don't think anyone really cares - the slaughterhouse as it looked in-game:

• The dream scene is great, though a bit heavyhanded. But again, it's a dream so that's okay. Always thought it was weird there was one in episode 1 and episode 3, but not the others.

Good point. I had forgotten all about that.

Where's the scene of Lee running through the woods from the ep 2 preview?
    Most regrettably, where's the part where Omid and Christa are shown fighting zombies at (presumably) the train station?

I think that may have just been something dynamic/cinematic they made up for the preview. And it was a cornfield.

We should have seen them do something more before they joined the group

To be fair, they were just passing by themselves, offered to help them out, and then ended up getting stuck along for the ride.

Louche posted: »

Seeing deleted content is always such a love/hate thing. Such a mistake cutting out these scenes. The dream scene is great, though a bit he

• edited November 2017

Not a detail so much as a question, but it's worth bringing up: In the Telltale Stream anticipating ANF's release, Pierre Shorette mentioned that at one point there was supposed to be a sequence where Clementine would follow Luke(or Kenny--he wasn't exactly sure, but I'm pretty sure he ultimately hovered around Luke) through the forest after escaping Howes in the middle of snowstorm and they would encounter a bear fighting off walkers during the dash.

With this in mind, do you think this was originally part of a final choice where you could chose to leave with either him(and presumably Sarah and determinately Nick) or Kenny(and by extension, Sarita and Mike)? And that Amid the Ruins' opening with Rebecca and Jane(but not Bonnie, oddly enough) was something they came up with later?

• do you think this was originally part of a final choice where you could chose to leave with either him(and presumably Sarah and determinately Nick) or Kenny(and by extension, Sarita and Mike)?

Not sure, but it's possible. The escape at Howes was supposed to be a lot more hectic based on cut voicelines.

And that Amid the Ruins' opening with Rebecca and Jane(but not Bonnie, oddly enough) was something they came up with later?

Definitely. The push for Jane came out of nowhere and It felt like since they knew they were going to kill Rebecca later that episode they wanted to make her death more impactful so they gave her more screentime.

DabigRG posted: »

Not a detail so much as a question, but it's worth bringing up: In the Telltale Stream anticipating ANF's release, Pierre Shorette mentioned

• Not sure, but it's possible. The escape at Howes was supposed to be a lot more hectic based on cut voicelines.

Oh yeah, I've heard them. It's partially where my theory that Bonnie was supposed to shoot Tavia came from.

Definitely. The push for Jane came out of nowhere

Pretty much. And again, the fact that Bonnie was just suddenly with Kenny's party in Amid the Ruins is likely an effect of this.

and It felt like since they knew they were going to kill Rebecca later that episode they wanted to make her death more impactful so they gave her more screentime.

Good point. That much I can get behind, even if Rebecca is my least favorite member of the Cabin Group.

Maybe it could've been a three way choice depending on which direction you go after saving/chopping Sarita and if you can manually keep up with whoever you end up with.

do you think this was originally part of a final choice where you could chose to leave with either him(and presumably Sarah and determinatel

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited November 2017

Here's the same image at its native resolution, for anyone who wants a slightly higher quality look at it

edit: Also, that old S3 keyart from a few pages back, also at native resolution, so you can get a better look at the detail

And if you're curious where these came from, the images were uploaded at a higher resolution to their source (not hard to find, by the way). You just need to force them to load in the native resolution.

Technically not a detail but I don't think anyone really cares - the slaughterhouse as it looked in-game:

• Javi looks like a homeless junkie.

Here's the same image at its native resolution, for anyone who wants a slightly higher quality look at it edit: Also, that old S3 keyar

• I think that may have just been something dynamic/cinematic they made up for the preview. And it was a cornfield.

Was it a cornfield? Well, you are detail oriented.
    But I doubt it was just made up for the sake of being a preview. From everything I've seen, the deleted lines being included in the game files or even in "Rare" alternate scenes, I'm sure all the scenes from the previews were meant to be in the final product at some point. But you could question if they count as proper deleted scenes when they weren't even finished/included in the files like other cut things as I said above.

To be fair, they were just passing by themselves, offered to help them out, and then ended up getting stuck along for the ride.

And? I assume that Christa coming to check on Lee and Clementine is a remnant of that cut bit.
    And Omid gets to help Lee with the tanker, which actually means he does a lot more than Christa does there. Good thing, since he gets sidelined until episode 5. But still, I feel like a scene showing they could hold their own would have been nice.

DabigRG posted: »

The dream scene is great, though a bit heavyhanded. But again, it's a dream so that's okay. Always thought it was weird there was one in epi

• The escape at Howes was supposed to be a lot more hectic based on cut voicelines.

Ugh. That is easily the dumbest thing. Removing scenes is one thing, but being too lazy to implement some off-screen dialogue during a hectic scene?
    Remember in season 1 when Ben's teacher is caught in the bear trap and they're all frantically screaming over each other, not waiting/taking turns to let the others talk? Why the hell doesn't Telltale do that anymore? Are they afraid that people will miss the dialogue? All they're doing is removing tension and making the game feel LESS gritty and/or realistic.

do you think this was originally part of a final choice where you could chose to leave with either him(and presumably Sarah and determinatel

• man, even in the detailed promo image, the zombies don't look right, like they're too hazy and untextured, could have put some darker shadows in that ribcage to cover it up at least

Here's the same image at its native resolution, for anyone who wants a slightly higher quality look at it edit: Also, that old S3 keyar

• Yeah, I was gonna say, he looks a little too close to Kenny or thatPaulguy there.

Javi looks like a homeless junkie.

• To be fair, Sean Vanaman implied a long time ago (in March of 2013) during a video game presentation that Diana wasn't Clem's biological parent, so it's not as if he's just mentioning this now. The thing is, he only went over it briefly, and fans at the time never really got word of it (I don't know why). It wasn't until the new Telltale team brought up the subject again 4 years later when it generated "gossip" as to who Clem's real parents are.

Here's what Sean Vanaman said about Clementine's parents in 2013:

"The details of [Clementine's] birth mother and everything that happened in her upbringing [are] never presented to the player, and may very well never be important for any more Walking Dead content that's ever made. But if, for some reason, the story of Clementine's father came up, we have this well we can now go to, because we have this very large event that'd happened in his life and the life of his daughter that we can draw from."

Let's think about this logically. As you can see from this quote, Sean alluded to Clementine's "birth mother." People don't typically refer to someone's mother as their "birth mother" unless that person also has another maternal figure in their lives. Therefore, at this point in the quote, we know pretty much FOR CERTAIN that Diana is either Clementine's "birth mother" or step-mother, but we don't know which.

Upon reading the quote further, we see that Sean mentions a "big event" happened in the lives of Clementine and "Clementine's father." Based on the fact that Sean didn't feel the need specify what kind of father this man was (biological, adoptive, etc), we can reasonably infer that "Clementine's father" was the ONLY paternal figure in Clementine's life. This paternal figure must therefore be Ed -- the only paternal figure we know of -- and he MUST be her real father. It logically follows, therefore, that Diana must be Clem's step-mother. Indeed, this was confirmed by Sean in 2017 (based on the images of Sean's conversation posted by Dont_Look_Back in this thread earlier).

Remember, this isn't new information. That quote I gave you was from a video that was recorded in 2013 (the link is just below this paragraph, skip to about 36 minutes). In other words, Telltale has long implied that one of Clem's parents was biologically unrelated to her, but no one really noticed until the new Telltale team brought it up again.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017807/Saving-Doug-Empathy-Character-and

So we might ask, why did Telltale decide from the beginning (since Season 1) that Diana was Clementine's step-mother, without ever bringing up the subject in-game? What's the point of making Diana her step-mother if the Season 1 writers, themselves, admit that this fact is never mentioned in the story, and will probably NEVER be mentioned in any future games?

I'm just speculating here, but I think a reasonable answer is, "why not?" Why not make Diana Clem's step-mother? It certainly has no negative impact on the story, and Clementine herself is already such a unique character from the get-go in terms of video game representation -- young, female, and mixed-race. If nothing else, Clementine being raised by a non-biological mother along with a biological father adds variety and depth to her character. I think that's what the Season 1 writers were striving for -- to craft something "different," for lack of a better word. Whether or not Clem's background is ever explicitly revealed in-game doesn't necessarily matter, because in the end, we still know these details about her, based on what the writers, themselves, tell us.

I think the more interesting question is: what was this "large event" that Sean spoke of that happened between Ed and Clementine?

I've never heard anyone with step parents refer to them as their first name. Weird, because every person I’ve known with step parent

• edited November 2017

But I doubt it was just made up for the sake of being a preview. From everything I've seen, the deleted lines being included in the game files or even in "Rare" alternate scenes, I'm sure all the scenes from the previews were meant to be in the final product at some point. But you could question if they count as proper deleted scenes when they weren't even finished/included in the files like other cut things as I said above.

Eh, fair enough. The cornfields are indeed included in the game proper.

My point was that unless Lee and Mark were supposed to get attacked on the way back to the farm(which is unlikely considering they would've taken the same road the others would've had to take), a scene like that wouldn't really make sense.

And? I assume that Christa coming to check on Lee and Clementine is a remnant of that cut bit.

Possibly.

And Omid gets to help Lee with the tanker, which actually means he does a lot more than Christa does there. Good thing, since he gets sidelined until episode 5.

She does evaluate Lee's abilities as a guardian and offers them survival advice.

But still, I feel like a scene showing they could hold their own would have been nice.

Eh. It's not like the following episodes had many action sequences anyway.

I think that may have just been something dynamic/cinematic they made up for the preview. And it was a cornfield. Was it a cornfield

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited November 2017

IIRC, that cornfield scene was a chase scene meant to happen during an earlier iteration of the bandit attack. The scene ultimately got cut, but they eventually went back to the concept in 400 Days, and it ended up as the cornfield scene from Bonnie's story.

edit: Yep, found the source of that: https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/faces-of-death-400-days/1100-4711/

Darin: Once we had the cornfield and we knew it was going to be a thing, there were elements that were leftover from a gameplay standpoint from way back in season one, episode two, where we wanted to a cornfield chase and it never happened.

There's an entire series of those, by the way-- Faces of Death. I think most people here either haven't seen them, or have long forgotten about them. There's some neat little tidbits of information and insight.

I think that may have just been something dynamic/cinematic they made up for the preview. And it was a cornfield. Was it a cornfield

• On a more interesting note, however, Javier's last name is on his jersey in that promo pic. Or well, his original last name-- Garcia-Dominguez, before they shortened it to Garcia.

man, even in the detailed promo image, the zombies don't look right, like they're too hazy and untextured, could have put some darker shadows in that ribcage to cover it up at least

• I figured that when Louche brought it up, but forgot to suggest it. Good cover, Boss!

Was it a cornfield? Well, you are detail oriented. But I doubt it was just made up for the sake of being a preview. From everything I've

• Interesting. I kinda wish they kept that for Mariana(originally, of course) or Kate(if she is indeed Hispanic).

On a more interesting note, however, Javier's last name is on his jersey in that promo pic. Or well, his original last name-- Garcia-Dominguez, before they shortened it to Garcia.

• Well, damn. You're right. Thanks for that insight. By bandit attack, I assume you mean when Lee and Mark get shot at?
    I really ought to read more of these. That's a really quick easy to miss thing, though.

Was it a cornfield? Well, you are detail oriented. But I doubt it was just made up for the sake of being a preview. From everything I've

Sign in to comment in this discussion.