Lay-offs at telltale

Comments

• In the coming weeks??? Thats way too far. Fuck!

Lewsblake23 posted: »

Official statement via Twitter.

• I am inclined to downloading all my Telltale games into my PS4, just in case... I would hate to see another PT situation where people can no longer play any of their library... hopefully they can either keep it up or else get other companies like WB to buy the rights...

• edited September 2018

Here.
    EDIT: Sorry the picture is huge, my Mac tends to make them pretty big.

occono posted: »

pic.twitter.com/evqg5X98WZ — Telltale Games (@telltalegames) September 21, 2018 Official Tweet. I can't get it to embed properly.

• To the wonderful people who worked at or still are there for the closing. You brought us so many wonderful moments and feels. I hope everyone is able to land on their feet and find employment. Saying goodbye to Telltale is one of the hardest things. I will miss a lot of folks here after the forums close. @DabigRG we had some fun conversations in your posts...I will miss you...

• omg.. i've been away for awhile and just came back to get informed that telltale is no longer will be a thing?? wtf

• Telltale had awful management

So much potiental

Very sad

• It's likely due competition too. Adventure games etc have been doing well lately and none of them came from telltale games. But probably it's also due competitors just made similar gameplay concepts that worked better, like Life is Strange. Also, if your company is tanking with gameplay concept or simply being too expensive to make, you should have realized to change your business strategy instead of trying to keep releasing games at loss.

I stopped buying their games at a full price since Life is Strange since it simply was much better than what telltale games released during recent years (opinion of course.) Now we have good adventure games with puzzles and all you would have needed to win my wallet back was to make a new season of Sam and Max.

So while this is a shame, it's not customers fault.

• Telltale was trying to change, I guess it was too late :(

• Come on Microsoft, do the right thing.

You’re constantly looking for great exclusives, so taking on some of the unemployed, or even all 250 & having Telltale as one of your development teams in addition to all the ones you announced at E3 would be amazing & a great gesture.

• five years ago i began two wonderful relationships, with an amazing woman, and a game developer that defined my love of the medium. within 2 weeks both relationships have ended. Dammit...

• Don’t worry telltale is closing after all episodes of TWD are done

gta3demon posted: »

It really is a shame, as Batman TEW was excellent and Ep 1 of TWD was great too. I wonder how far along they got to finishing the entire ser

• So they say. I'll believe it when I see it. 25 people isn't enough to finish two episodes, especially given that those episodes have release dates.

*Unless they have the majority of the episodes finished

Don’t worry telltale is closing after all episodes of TWD are done

• Guys, Variety are stating an un-named source saying that the remaining people are finishing the Netflix Minecraft commitment and not necessarily TWD.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/walking-dead-game-developer-hit-staff-layoffs-1202952915/

I guess this is what they mean by 'news of our products'... Shit...

• This gives me a tad bit of hope.

Love you Telltale !

https://twitter.com/petehawley/status/1043256818154143744

• What the hell, I'm so depressed right now, telltale games were one of the only games I enjoyed because i'm a very narrative driven person and prefer interactive movies to actual games sometimes.

We are never gonna see the wolf among us season 2 and all the great potential this company had.
    Really hope there is someone who is gonna grab this opportunity to make similar games to telltale cause I need my story driven games. And no I know about Life is Strange, a little bit too cringe for me sometimes and i'm not invested enough, and these are not cool stories like Tales from the Borderlands twau or Twd. Damn I'm sad right now.

I really wish well for all the employees that got laid off and really hope they will land on their feet.

• Quantic Dreams needs to start making games on more than just playstation
    There are other devs like Telltale but Telltale took care of many systems while people like QD only do PS

Demonarke posted: »

What the hell, I'm so depressed right now, telltale games were one of the only games I enjoyed because i'm a very narrative driven person an

• Agreed, in fact it would mean that TT would effectively be returning to the way it was before Walking Dead... likely with some new perspective. Still hearts out to those laid off because of this...

TunaFace posted: »

This gives me a tad bit of hope. Love you Telltale !

• edited September 2018

This is tearing me apart.

A. TWD can't end with just 2 episodes in its final season. That'd be irreparably heart-breaking.
    B. As a consumer, it'd also be sad to pay the 25$(of my country) for this entry and to only have half of it fulfilled.
    C. As a fan and [arguably] silent supporter of Telltale, I was very interested in where their future prospects were pointing, and that Netflix deal was a big interest of mine. If that somehow still goes through (even just the Minecraft portion) I'd be excited to see how that turns out. A Telltale co-made series on Netflix? hmmm

Optimaximal posted: »

Guys, Variety are stating an un-named source saying that the remaining people are finishing the Netflix Minecraft commitment and not necessa

• I hope these 25 people get bought by a wealthy company who sees potential, that would be our dream.

• What compagny could buy telltale licences? THQ nordic?

i Wonder if we will ever have a poker night 3...

• That’s probably because PlayStation is the only console to make a decent effort with strongly made single player games in terms of exclusivity...

TunaFace posted: »

Quantic Dreams needs to start making games on more than just playstation There are other devs like Telltale but Telltale took care of many systems while people like QD only do PS

• Well, a little team can still do some great games, see the final episode of TFTB.

Agreed, in fact it would mean that TT would effectively be returning to the way it was before Walking Dead... likely with some new perspective. Still hearts out to those laid off because of this...

• God damn it Pete. You had one job and you fail it. Just when you think he is the man who will get out Telltale out of the darkeness, he gets it even deeper lol.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited September 2018

If you look at the situation he inherited at the time he came on according to various insider stories/etc, I think you would see it was not his fault.

[Note; Moderators are community volunteers and not staff members. This is not an official comment.]

Bruno113 posted: »

God damn it Pete. You had one job and you fail it. Just when you think he is the man who will get out Telltale out of the darkeness, he gets it even deeper lol.

• Its likely not even his fault. He had a lot to clean up after Bruner's shitshow. I'm interested what he has to say next regarding the company.

God damn it Pete. You had one job and you fail it. Just when you think he is the man who will get out Telltale out of the darkeness, he gets it even deeper lol.

• Listen y'all, no point blaming anyone. focus on all the fond memories that the forums and games gave you. such a shock and such a loss of talent and creativity to the industry.

• So that's it then
    sad

• Wow my absolutely heart sunk when I saw the headlines. I can't believe this is happening. This was a great year for Telltale with Batman: Enemy Within and The Walking Dead: Final Season. I hope that they manage to pull off the remaining Episodes of TFS and I hope that everyone manages to get picked up soon by different companies because these are some talented people.

Of course the dream would be a big company picking up the IP's along with the crew to finish off what they started or even just buying the company up to save it but at this point it doesn't seem likely. I've been playing these games for the past six years now since the first season of The Walking Dead and I've had a great time. Discovering this forum was another highlight and I've had a blast talking with a bunch of you.

Thank you Telltale for the years of tears and laughter!

• This right here. Bruner destroyed the company and pissed on the ashes with the lawsuit. I don't blame Peter; imo he was doing his best to right a sinking ship.

If you look at the situation he inherited at the time he came on according to various insider stories/etc, I think you would see it was not

• There might be hope for TWAU2 though I'm not getting my hopes up seeing as how most of the writers and staff who worked on it seem to be of the same opinion that it's canned. Still, a team of 25 could wing it I think.

• Can someone explain to me how and why everything seems so rosy for Telltale in the last few months (heck, even just the last few days) but then out of nowhere we're told that they're going bankrupt and everyone's is currently or will soon be laid off in the quickest amount of time?

I mean, REALLY?! Telltale's publishing branch announces two games that are either already out or will be soon, but just a few days later it seems like they're dead?? That doesn't seem logical or possible.
    How can all this happen so fast?

• Really sucks.

It hasn't dawned on me yet, but I'm going to be real emotional soon. Also, love you guys <3

• Seemed like upper management were aware of the situation but it was kept quiet until the last minute after the Netflix deal fell through which was supposed to save them.

AChicken posted: »

Can someone explain to me how and why everything seems so rosy for Telltale in the last few months (heck, even just the last few days) but t

• I'm still reeling. At first, I thought it was a joke or something. Then it turned out to be true...

While part of me have long since moved on, I still love and care about Telltale, so this unexpected announcement is truly shocking to me.

• This doesn’t feel real. In a world that’s slowly only caring about online games like Fortnite, one of the highest supporters of single player action adventure games just died off. It seemed like they had great things going with new projects and new games being published. Telltale won my heart and became my favorite developers ever even through the hard times I always enjoyed their games. I teared up reading all this news about it. All the waits we’ve been through for new episodes all the story’s left on cliffhangers and we will never know how they end. Like I said before at least they’re ending it where it all began and I can’t think of a more emotional way to say goodbye.

• TWAUS2 won't happen. Those 25 are working on Minecraft for Netflix, so it's even unlikely for TWD to be concluded. After Mimecraft, the company is closing. Done.

booper posted: »

There might be hope for TWAU2 though I'm not getting my hopes up seeing as how most of the writers and staff who worked on it seem to be of the same opinion that it's canned. Still, a team of 25 could wing it I think.

• What are the chances that Telltale keeps making games with these 25 employees? Are they shutting down for good or not? I'm dying over here.

• Pete said they weren't shutting down.

What are the chances that Telltale keeps making games with these 25 employees? Are they shutting down for good or not? I'm dying over here.

• Blame Kevin Bruner. With Pete in charge, you could see that Telltale was actually improving based on fans' feedback, as it can be shown with Batman S2 (one of their best seasons) and TWD: TFS (which had a promising start).

It's by no means Pete's fault. He did the best he could with the shitshow that was given to him by Bruner. Telltale's image was sufficiently damaged by the time he took charge. Maybe if he had more time, he could've saved the company.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.