Pretend for a minute that ANF has not released yet.

And you just finished watching the trailer for the 3rd Season.
What are your impressions? What do you think the game will be?

Comments

• My impression is the same as it was when the trailer first released. I was excited and interested and thought they were shifting more towards a TFBL gameplay dynamic between Javier and Clementine's stories.

• I'm kinda wondering if this can be expanded into a bigger topic eventually.

We shall see.

• edited October 2018

I remember first seeing this teaser thinking we were gonna dual play as Clem and Javi (Like Rhys and Fiona) as we track down the New Frontier. I remember thinking it was gonna be a different WD game than we were accustomed to. I didn't know what to expect in terms of antagonist motivations or whatever, but I assumed we were going for more of a mystery setting in this season and it caught my eye. We'd be in situations where they were always one step ahead of Clem and Javi, giving it more of a journey/ghost catching feel.

If the first season was trying to get to Savannah and flee from the walkers/psychos and S2 dealt with trying to escape from Carver. I thought this season was gonna put us right in the middle of trying to catch the enemy, rather than fleeing from it, which I thought was cool.

• Clem you gotten so old. Where's your finger?

• I remember what my original thought was I thought depending on your choices that Kenny/Jane and Aj were like kiddnaped and Clem was going after them and finds Javi which he was looking for his family that were taken by the same people and basically they go on the journey to get back what they lost but man I was so wrong

• And then we got Javi who has a New Frontier brand on his neck, all the speculation around whether he got out and is now fighting them or not.
    There were so many cool ways that the story could have played out or shocked us.

Erinour posted: »

I remember what my original thought was I thought depending on your choices that Kenny/Jane and Aj were like kiddnaped and Clem was going af

• That was essentially the original plot before it was scrapped.

Erinour posted: »

I remember what my original thought was I thought depending on your choices that Kenny/Jane and Aj were like kiddnaped and Clem was going af

• I'd really really like to see the original plot in action. It's such a shame what happened to it. We the fans, the staff involved and Clem deserved better.

That was essentially the original plot before it was scrapped.

• I really like the voice of Javier. Can't wait to hear it when I play it!

• edited October 2018

WTF why on that trailer Javier doesn't have a beard and has new frontier mark on his neck?

• Rewrites. Rewrites everywhere.

Gauss99 posted: »

WTF why on that trailer Javier doesn't have a beard and has new frontier mark on his neck?

• I could tell you what the plot was supposed to be but sadly we won't ever see it in action

Sarunas21 posted: »

I'd really really like to see the original plot in action. It's such a shame what happened to it. We the fans, the staff involved and Clem deserved better.

• Dude, I swore they only added the beard to make him look even more like Joel than he already did.

As for the Capricorn Farm brand, the original premise had him join the New Frontier as part of a longterm gambit to find and free his brother's family.

Gauss99 posted: »

• Really can I see the link?

That was essentially the original plot before it was scrapped.

• Watching the trailer definetly gave me the impression Clem would have a much bigger role (as expected!) and that we would be duel playing as them both.. Also... wondered where Clems finger went!

• This trailer alone has NOTHING to do with what we got. This is probably the Season 3 we deserves, not that stupid impostor.
    Not to mention this moment that had TONS of potential and was released for NOTHING.

• The first VA for Javier was actually his very first voice acting role in video games and I feel bad that he got replaced.

GSSalvador posted: »

I really like the voice of Javier. Can't wait to hear it when I play it!

• Am I one of the only few who didn't really care much about that Slaughterhouse?

AronDracula posted: »

This trailer alone has NOTHING to do with what we got. This is probably the Season 3 we deserves, not that stupid impostor. Not to mention this moment that had TONS of potential and was released for NOTHING.

• Maybe but doesn't excuse how they released that screenshot and never put it in the game. Don't use that bullshit factory as an excuse, it's not what we see in that pic.

DabigRG posted: »

Am I one of the only few who didn't really care much about that Slaughterhouse?

• My Nintendo Switch Clem exists in the continuity where the original plans for Season Two and A New Frontier happened :,)

• Very true.
    What's even weirder is that the collective sequence was apparently damn near being done, as at least the room in that screenshot is actually in the game's files for episode 1, along with a number of animations, textures, and a few voice clips. Plus some statements from the developers about Max and even Mariana's earlier deaths apparently being completely animated at one point.
    Which makes me somewhat question what happened for them to initially cut a whole sequence.

AronDracula posted: »

Maybe but doesn't excuse how they released that screenshot and never put it in the game. Don't use that bullshit factory as an excuse, it's not what we see in that pic.

• Too bad we will never get that game. Does anyone know what the plot was supposed to be? I am interested in seeing how the story was supposed to play out. I enjoyed s3, however, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been done much better.

• Well, from what I remember, Clementine was on a revenge quest, Javier was a former New Frontier member and tried to get his family back from Richmond, having Clementine as his sidekick. I think Javier and Clementine were supposed to meet for the first time at the slaughterhouse and Max (don't remember his official role) was supposed to die at that place.

That story looked promising and it wasn't just Javier's story, it was also Clementine's (According to Job Stauffer after E3 2016 before he made changes in Fall).

Too bad we will never get that game. Does anyone know what the plot was supposed to be? I am interested in seeing how the story was supposed to play out. I enjoyed s3, however, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been done much better.

• I, too, believe the slaughterhouse is unecessary. Especially for a TWD Telltale game. That scene feel like a Last Of Us scene.

Am I one of the only few who didn't really care much about that Slaughterhouse?

• Are you really saying that some caged-up walkers in slaughterhouse doesn't fit for a zombie game like TWD? Slaughterhouse remind me nothing of The Last of Us.

Ghetsis posted: »

I, too, believe the slaughterhouse is unecessary. Especially for a TWD Telltale game. That scene feel like a Last Of Us scene.

• That scene feel like a Last Of Us scene.

Well-ell.... :sweat_smile:

Ghetsis posted: »

I, too, believe the slaughterhouse is unecessary. Especially for a TWD Telltale game. That scene feel like a Last Of Us scene.

• Following alongside 2 characters instead of getting a few flashbacks for clem was a way better idea and even more so when you think about how the begginning of the game, or of each episode, could have you play as either Javier or Clementine for the rest of it. Dynamic narrative branches should have been included here, to make it more replayable.

Sarunas21 posted: »

I remember first seeing this teaser thinking we were gonna dual play as Clem and Javi (Like Rhys and Fiona) as we track down the New Frontie

• Honestly, I remember seeing Javier & Clementin working together and later the mention of flashbacks and half expected the gameplay-story to follow a sort of GTA V meets Arkham City type setup, including moments where the two go their separate ways before meeting back up at key points and with the flashbacks filling us in on who Javier is & his relationship with each of his family members, in addition to showing us extra elaboration on what Clementine has experienced between the seasons.

• That would have been a fantastic game to play.

Honestly, I remember seeing Javier & Clementin working together and later the mention of flashbacks and half expected the gameplay-story

• I was happy that Telltale seemed to be going for Multiple playable characters like in borderlands... Too bad that wasnt the case.

• It was probably way too out of reason-ability given precedent, but with the way it was looking....

Chibikid posted: »

That would have been a fantastic game to play.

• Like others have said, I was expecting a TFTBL style of dual-protagonist gameplay. My thought was that TFTBL was the successful trial to a multi-protagonist game unlike GoT. Because of that, I thought the mechanic was moving to TWD to a) give us something new within the gameplay, b) allow us to see multiple perspectives of Clem to expand her character, and c) introduce a new protagonist to allow for the TTG variant of TWD to expand beyond just Clementine to further its longevity.

I truly believed that while our ending would affect how our Clem acts, I wasn't expecting a lasting impact beyond the first episode or two. My thought was that Jane would leave Clem or tell Clem to leave her for fear of having to repeat a similar scenario with her sister (with Jane fearing either she would be dragging Clem and AJ around or she herself would be the one Clem has to drag around). Kenny would have died saving Clem and AJ from a dangerous situation or willing given them up to a group due to his age and declining health. Wellington would fall to famine forcing Clem and AJ to join a group looking for a new place to survive. A storm would cause to two to become separated from the group. The alone ending would have Clem trying to survive by being completely mobile and making 1-to-2 day long temporary shelters for her and AJ. All situations would result in Clem and AJ running into the NF (or "the Capricorn group" since I do not believe the name of The New Frontier group was revealed yet) and being forced to join due to their weakened state.

Story wise and like others have also said, I was expecting a story where we as on the offensive for once rather the defensive. Instead of us running from groups or walkers, we are going to them full force. Due to Clem being silent in the trailer, I actually was expecting a hurt, cold, and very serious Clem. Javier would be the more optimistic one since this is his first time having his family in jeopardy. Clem would be less than optimistic due to previous scars from past experiences. I was expecting the Capricorn group to be the darkest antagonist we've ever seen. I thought Javier would have been a former slave of theirs that escaped and is returning to rescue his family and others. There would be a bit of an underground railroad feel to Clem and Javier sneaking in. And per usual, I was expecting ANF to feature a moment where we as can let Clem snap, breakdown, and unleash the hurt and pain she has inside. While resulting in short term negative consequences, the payout would be the ending of the game having a more psychologically healed Clem than other playthroughs. I also was expecting the first episode or two to feature Clem and Javier in some captive enclosure where they have a chance to tell someone their story and possible convince them to help you out. The remaining parts of the season would be present tense as the make their way to resue the people they love.

A negative thing I did have was the visuals. I wasn't a fan of the glassy look of the characters in the teaser. I also didn't like how Clem looked paler. Her skin tone changed yet again (TANGENT: I found it weird that 11 year old Clem was tan in S2, yet her 9 year old model from before the timeskip was her S1 lighter skin tone... hmm...). Not only that but her facial features, eyes, and hair type changed. I could see the ANF model resembling her S1 concept art, but it was a stretch to pull those two together. I wish they had kept the S2/Michonne look.

All in all, I didn't know what to expect completely. However, I had some ideas that brewed in my mind. I was expecting ANF to learn from mistakes in S1 and S2. ANF was going to be a new addition to TTG's TWD that would be different but would eventually win the hearts of the fans and gaming community.

...or so I though

Sign in to comment in this discussion.