Defending The Final Season Ending

So, I assume the fanbase is pretty splitted up regarding the ending of the TWD series. Now personally I liked the way it ended and here's my reasons:
1. In my opinion they nailed the surprise effect of Clem's fate pretty well: I didn't expect, AT ALL, the outcome, and I won't lie, I'm really glad she survived.
2. Her death would be basically Lee 2.0, something we've already seen, felt and played at the beginning of this series, and it would have resulted a bit repetitive as an ending.
3. Regarding the "she was already turning" complain, on one hand the face looked pretty messed up, however it could be because of the blood loss (I know, it didn't happen in S2 with the dog bite, but this is a different graphical style and different graphical attention to detail,) and also the face's color didn't change heavily, like usually. Ultimately there's not really a rule regarding the zombification process, sometimes they turned fast, sometimes slowly, it's never really that clear in the TWD franchise (even in the comic).
4. This is the best way to conclude her character story arc: finally at peace, no more running, living in a place she can call home together with her beloved AJ.
I kinda would have prefered multiple endings, just like in S2, but for these reasons I enjoy this ending, as well as The Final Season overall.
What do you think?

Comments

• Defense 100. I sort of agree but
    This isn't a would you rather, it's a 'what would you want' so Lee 2.0 should've never happened. I like the ending, the problem is number 3. The explanation is so trying.

• Yeah, the third point was a bit troublesome to build, these are the only "logical conclusions" I came up with that problem. On a positive Clem's conditions made the moment more tragic, and the following reveal more surprising.

Ghetsis posted: »

Defense 100. I sort of agree but This isn't a would you rather, it's a 'what would you want' so Lee 2.0 should've never happened. I like the ending, the problem is number 3. The explanation is so trying.

• I loved the ending, even though her story ark is done I’m just said that our sweet pea is going to live a long prospresess life...unless if someone writes a fan fiction of Clementine after season 4 or AJ at least.?

• Technically the fanbase hasn’t been split. As it turns out, people who disliked this episode are actually the minority. Check out the let’s plays, and their comments, and you will hardly find a single negative comment (unless you want to argue whether or not swingpoynt was disappointed, though he appeared to be more confused than let down)

• That's a relief. I thought it as a 50/50 situation by looking at some twd community posts and comments

Melton23 posted: »

Technically the fanbase hasn’t been split. As it turns out, people who disliked this episode are actually the minority. Check out the let’s

• A wise man once said, "A sad ending that you have to pull some kind of meaning from is dumb."
    I'm thrilled Clem lived. She's surrounded by people that love and care for one another; living in peace. We already had our sad endings with S1 - S3. I'm glad we finally got a happy one with S4. Great game with a great ending.

• It’s only this place that doesn’t seem to like the episode as far a show I know. Just read some of the comments to some YouTube videos and you’ll find some more peace of mind that this episode actually WAS decent and not divisive ?

That's a relief. I thought it as a 50/50 situation by looking at some twd community posts and comments

• I just recently asked Kent about number 3 after reading that theory over on reddit about an hour ago, so here's hoping for a response on that matter. I'm curious if the ambiguity was the intent of the scene.

I can accept the idea of heavy blood loss delaying the turn and causing her weakness. That explanation isn't far fetched to me, though she still would've had to have gotten real lucky (Kenny pun intended) to survive the amputation in a situation where it would take some time to even clear the barn, let alone escape. So yeah, while I can accept the blood loss part, I'd still have to suspend a fair amount of disbelief to fully accept the treatment and escape aspect. That climax could've been executed better, regardless of the explanation.

• Haters always have the biggest mouths.

It’s only this place that doesn’t seem to like the episode as far a show I know. Just read some of the comments to some YouTube videos and you’ll find some more peace of mind that this episode actually WAS decent and not divisive ?

• I’ve always said that. There are plenty of amazing movies and video games out there that unjustly get slammed to hell because haters are the ones who speak their mind more and write the most reviews. Luckily, it rlly isn’t the case here

Haters always have the biggest mouths.

• I'm in 1000% agreement with the bottom line here.

A wise man once said, "A sad ending that you have to pull some kind of meaning from is dumb." I'm thrilled Clem lived. She's surrounded by

• Love and respect. (What I have for this game and for everyone in this thread)

Sarunas21 posted: »

I'm in 1000% agreement with the bottom line here.

• There was a good explanation that they used the flint and some barn hay to caturise the stump

I just recently asked Kent about number 3 after reading that theory over on reddit about an hour ago, so here's hoping for a response on tha

• Hm. That's interesting. It's cool to see people are coming up with their own theories for the barn scenario. I'd rather theorize than complain endlessly about it not being specific enough anyway. It's more fun that way.

I really only asked for Kent's insight on the scene to maybe calm some heads here (Though Kent's insight has only left people feeling sour in this forum as time went on so maybe it wouldn't matter anyways but ah well, I'll take it if they don't.)

There was a good explanation that they used the flint and some barn hay to caturise the stump

• I agree she deserves to a happy ending after all she's been through. it's the zombie apocalypse after all so it's hard for them to give her a perfect ending. I'm very happy about the ending they gave us

• They could've definetly done things better/differently but personally the ending was a satisfactory one for the series.

• edited March 2019

I remember in the AMA that somebody asked about how the different choices and decisions will matter in the later episodes... and they've responded by saying (although I can't find the AMA anymore for some reason, so this will be from one of the summaries that I've found)

"Your choices such as how you encourage AJ, who you romance, how you treat your friends, all add up to determine the ending in the final episode"

So much for "determining" the ending. :(
    Unless by the ending they've meant the characters that live, though that's kinda underwhelming in that case.

• Bruner is to blame!!!

BigBadPaul posted: »

I remember in the AMA that somebody asked about how the different choices and decisions will matter in the later episodes... and they've res

• But "this place" is suppose to be for fans who actually like TWD, and it's not fair that so many people here don't like it while most people on YT praise it. It's stupid. It's also hypocritical for people who hate TWD to remain in this forum.

It’s only this place that doesn’t seem to like the episode as far a show I know. Just read some of the comments to some YouTube videos and you’ll find some more peace of mind that this episode actually WAS decent and not divisive ?

• Well, if you romanced - Clem has a partner.
    If you don't trust AJ - Violet/Louis dies.
    If you spared Lilly - she lives.
    If you killed Lilly - James lives.
    If Tenn dies - you learn of the caravan.
    If you saved Louis - Violet is blind
    If you saved Violet - Louis can't talk.
    Your decisions determine the ending. Let's not pretend otherwise. This thread is meant to spread the love, don't destroy the good vibes, brother.

BigBadPaul posted: »

I remember in the AMA that somebody asked about how the different choices and decisions will matter in the later episodes... and they've res

• It’s been like this since probably around season 2 episode 4, if not the start of a new frontier. A lot of the comments around here used to be all like “Clementine is my daughter and I will do anything to protect her” but he they’re all “why tf did she survive? That’s so stupid!” Instead of sticking to their original claims and accepting that we got off lucky.

patrickrc95 posted: »

But "this place" is suppose to be for fans who actually like TWD, and it's not fair that so many people here don't like it while most people on YT praise it. It's stupid. It's also hypocritical for people who hate TWD to remain in this forum.

• That is why Bruner is to blame again!!! Lol.

Well, if you romanced - Clem has a partner. If you don't trust AJ - Violet/Louis dies. If you spared Lilly - she lives. If you killed Lil

• Agreed. The ending itself is relatively similar but also heavily branched. Not as much as Same Stitch, but more so than ANF.

Well, if you romanced - Clem has a partner. If you don't trust AJ - Violet/Louis dies. If you spared Lilly - she lives. If you killed Lil

• Telltale/Skybound could've killed everyone or make Clem/Louis/Violet die no matter what and that would be the ending. I'm glad all three of them got to live. Great ending for a great game.

It’s been like this since probably around season 2 episode 4, if not the start of a new frontier. A lot of the comments around here used to

• What a load of he-said, she-said cojones. Amiright?

It’s been like this since probably around season 2 episode 4, if not the start of a new frontier. A lot of the comments around here used to

• Bruner is to blame for how good the ending was? ?

That is why Bruner is to blame again!!! Lol.

• I meant in general. I am not here to rain on your parade. :)

Bruner is to blame for how good the ending was? ?

• Exactly. Although I would have liked multiple endings, would any of us purposefully go for the Clementine dies/bad ending? I don’t think so, so either way it doesn’t matter.

Telltale/Skybound could've killed everyone or make Clem/Louis/Violet die no matter what and that would be the ending. I'm glad all three of them got to live. Great ending for a great game.

• Right! People wanted an ending where she would die, but who the fuck would actually want that ending? Nobody. So why are people complaint about something they don't want?

Exactly. Although I would have liked multiple endings, would any of us purposefully go for the Clementine dies/bad ending? I don’t think so, so either way it doesn’t matter.

• I guess because the finale just felt out of place for some individuals.

Right! People wanted an ending where she would die, but who the fuck would actually want that ending? Nobody. So why are people complaint about something they don't want?

• edited March 2019

Just like a new frontier, amirite boyos? I liked ANF but even I can’t deny that it was the most out of place thing in the existence of out of placeness. Javier is cool tho.

I just don’t see how it’s out of place, there aren’t any (and if there are, very little) plot holes, because everything that happens to Clem technically isn’t explained in the comics, such as if there’s a special weapon requirement to transmit an infection, if the time required to cut off a limb is different for different people, stuff like that

I guess because the finale just felt out of place for some individuals.

• edited March 2019

The thing is that there's two problems the first one : everyone wanted different things they've been hinting at determinant/multiple endings for months only to completely drop the ball and force some fairy-tale happy ending on everyone,you just play the episode shit happens and then you get that same ending everyone else has its super underwhelming.

Second problem is that the writing was so shit that i dont even think Clem dying would've worked,you get to the barn and its so fucking rushed and just a rehashed/watered down version of Lee's death,pathetic.

So yeah i guess both options were bad and in the end they chose to have some big ass plot hole and have Clem live to not piss off their fanbase. So yeah i can see why people are complaining.

Right! People wanted an ending where she would die, but who the fuck would actually want that ending? Nobody. So why are people complaint about something they don't want?

• I got respect for you, fam. But let's discuss these kinds of things elsewhere.

iFoRias posted: »

The thing is that there's two problems the first one : everyone wanted different things they've been hinting at determinant/multiple endings

• Not exactly pathetic if the large majority of the fanbase loved the ending

AmiriteSquadfam?

iFoRias posted: »

The thing is that there's two problems the first one : everyone wanted different things they've been hinting at determinant/multiple endings

• I liked it too and Katie is bae.

Just like a new frontier, amirite boyos? I liked ANF but even I can’t deny that it was the most out of place thing in the existence of out o

• Let’s just ignore Katie for now and focus on javi and his puddin’

I liked it too and Katie is bae.

• Why? Lool.

Let’s just ignore Katie for now and focus on javi and his puddin’

• I just now understood what you were referring to. I just now read that story that was from Kirkbride from AJ's perspective, lol, I assumed you were referring to a fan theory. Cool. I guess my questions were answered. I'll take it.

There was a good explanation that they used the flint and some barn hay to caturise the stump

• Glad I could help! Do you by chance know a solution to the game's audio bug?

I just now understood what you were referring to. I just now read that story that was from Kirkbride from AJ's perspective, lol, I assumed you were referring to a fan theory. Cool. I guess my questions were answered. I'll take it.

• No :( Sorry. I'm a PS4 user but I don't believe I've encountered a bug on my side. Maybe contacting Skybound would help? I think Kent mentioned that any bug or other technical difficulties should be taken to them.

Glad I could help! Do you by chance know a solution to the game's audio bug?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.