Top 5 biggest mistakes in the entire series (opinion)

Comments

• As in the fun kind of mistake or...?

• No, genuine things I believe they did wrong with the series.

Thank you for the comment.

God bless you.

DabigRG posted: »

As in the fun kind of mistake or...?

• Oh....

No, genuine things I believe they did wrong with the series. Thank you for the comment. God bless you.

• edited April 2019

so havent watched yet but by any chance is killing the entire s2 cast with the exception of AJ and Clem included?

1. Playing as Clementine

I think playing as a young Clementine was a unique idea that had a lot of potential. I think the problem was in how they executed it.

1. Lily

I guess. I mean it’s hard to say how bringing Lily back sooner would’ve changed things.

1. Rewind

Yea, taking away options for the player is never a good thing. Definitely not a huge problem when compared to other issues in the series though.

1. A New Frontier

This really should’ve been # 1. By far the biggest problem with this series.

1. Killing Lee

Definitely disagree with this one. Lee’s death gives S1 a more conclusive ending. No Time Left wouldn’t have worked at all if Lee wasn’t bitten either. His death also makes his redemption arc a lot better, it wouldn’t have been the same without him “dying to protect Clementine”.

• Yo, did you just spoil the video's content?

* Playing as Clementine I think playing as a young Clementine was a unique idea that had a lot of potential. I think the problem was in

• That definitely could be one. Though to me a bigger mistake would be the russian's aiming like storm troopers. Ep 4 has one russian opening up to the group with his AK 47 yet no one dies.

God bless you.

UrbanRodrik posted: »

so havent watched yet but by any chance is killing the entire s2 cast with the exception of AJ and Clem included?

• Killing of Omid and getting rid of a pregnant Christa only to replace them with Alvin and a pregnant Rebecca. AJ being OJ would've been much better.

1. Killing Omid and Christa
      They were just used as an excuse for Clementine to survive over 2 years after Season 1 events and they were removed of in such cheap ways.

2. Ditching the Rewind option
      Just because not of a lot of people used it, doesn't mean it wasn't useful anymore. Many players were using it to see all the different choices without having to play through an entire episode. It's one of the reasons people haven't played ANF and TFS more than 3 times.

3. Killing the entire Season 2 cast
      Just why? Why couldn't they just let me stick with people I want to be friends with? I personally wanted Sarah to survive because she could have been Clem's best partner in the apocalypse. They are barely mentioned by Clementine in the later games. They had so much potential. Even the TV show and comics still had characters from the previous seasons/issues alive.

4. The "Not-so" Final Season
      Maybe it's just me but The Final Season for Clementine's story felt pretty cheap and simplistic to do end of an era like that. Louis and Violet were the only kids important to Clementine, nobody mattered more than them and other than trust or distrust AJ option, none of the choices mean jack shit. Lilly was such a garbage antagonist, not as bad as Joan from ANF but for a Season 1 character coming back, she was NOTHING for many reasons: terrible motivation, short screentime, little callbacks from Season 1 and she just walks away like nothing happened if you spare her.

5. A New Frontier
      Do I need to say why? This is the monster that destroyed the studio in the first place. Shit characters, garbage plot, atrocious villains, short length and fucking Kevin Bruner, not to mention his famous lie: "Episode 1 was split in 2 parts because it was too big". Nobody asked for this retarded project.

• edited May 2019
    1. Not sure how they could have executed properly. As it would have always been unrealistic for adults to listen to a child for the major decisions.

1. As I basically pointed out in the vid. His death made S1 better but screwed the other seasons. In the long run perhaps they should have had an end game before deciding to kill Lee.

God bless you.

* Playing as Clementine I think playing as a young Clementine was a unique idea that had a lot of potential. I think the problem was in

• AJ being OJ would've been much better.

Cheddarhead posted: »

Killing of Omid and getting rid of a pregnant Christa only to replace them with Alvin and a pregnant Rebecca. AJ being OJ would've been much better.

• Killing off Omid and Christa was a big mistake. Killing off the entire cast ruins continiuty.

• FYI you wrote the list going in the wrong direction ?

AronDracula posted: »

* Killing Omid and Christa They were just used as an excuse for Clementine to survive over 2 years after Season 1 events and they were remo

• My top 5 opinions of mistakes made
    5 no confirmation of whether christa is dead or not as I just want a confirmation cause I want her to personally be dead but I don’t want to spend years thinking she’s dead only for them to make a dlc of her surviving
    4 Joan as the main villain as she just disappears anyways
    3 Lilly’s major exclusion in ep4 of finale though I’m happy there’s a way for her to possibly survive but not in power
    2 nicks death in amid the ruins
    1 killing off Jane,Kenny or Edith (if you stayed with them) cause I don’t see the point in presenting a choice to save them and stay with them if there only gonna kill them off anyways

Top 5 best decisions in the series
    5 Randall’s character as he was the best villain and I kinda wish he was in the main series not a dlc
    4 not putting the Garcia’s in s4
    3 Kenny returning in s2
    2 Killing lee as it’s the perfect catalyst for clementine
    1 Giving Kenny the chance to possibly survive as I would have been pissed if he died no matter what , but at least you have to two possible scenarios where you can leave him and not die.

• I have actually watched the video and had things to say, but that was at 8 something. Might have to bone up to give my thoughts.

• 5 -- We honestly would've had a better S2 story if we'd played as Christa or Omid attempting to take care of Clementine and an infant/toddler. This would've resolved so many issues that people had with AJ ( no attachment to his parents previously, no reason Clementine should've been the one taking care of him, and her utter inexperience with children. ) One of them could've still died, which would have us as Omid/Christa teaching Clementine how to look after the baby and protect them while we took care of other things.

4 -- Every episode/season having a evil villain troupe. This isn't higher on the list because the comic/show is quite famous for some of its villains, however due to the pacing and shorter run time of a game setting it works against it when it's not handled just right. It can be far too easy to focus on the heroes need to defeat the villain rather than the character's struggles, morality, and survival. The worst offense of this being handled poorly was TFS, and this isn't a Lilly rant. Having a random option to one-shot her in EP3, and spend an entire episode walking home was silly. Using AJ instead of how you dealt with Minerva to determine the ultimate fate of characters such as Violet and Tenn was also silly. It avoided some gut-wrenching decisions in favor of subverting expectations.

3 -- If you're going to use a romance angle, take a note from Yoda -- Do or do not, there is no try. Maintaining this middle ground on romances every season simply left everyone unsatisfied. Give the option to build stronger relationships or keep them as friendships. Don't be afraid to throw in some bitterness if rejected. S1 would've been more painful if you were able to romance either Carley or Lilly especially if leaving it as one dying and the other leaving. TFS didn't have hardly any deep moments for Clementine to explore that angle either.

2 -- Improve the illusion of choice. I know, but the budget! It wouldn't have taken anymore than recording extra lines of dialogue every so often with a few well chosen exceptions or arrange the game around the budget so that it could include a more improved branching path. I was astounded to hear higher ups say that they didn't include more choice because no one would stick with it. Replay value is a HUGE draw for people to purchase a game of this style, because it doesn't have game play like other games. Otherwise, it's just watched on platforms like Youtube or Twitch.

1 -- Everyone from every season dying or leaving. This has to be the series biggest sin and the reason behind that is because it makes every choice not have any impact to it. A large part of the player base just develops this apathy towards choices that should have them on the edge of their seat, but it doesn't. Now I'm not in any way advocating for plot armor. Any fan of Game of Thrones, or Walking Dead will tell you one of it's main features was that no one was safe -- or at least the illusion no one was safe. But it just wasn't done well.

• Not sure how they could have executed properly. As it would have always been unrealistic for adults to listen to a child for the major decisions.

Then you make choices that don’t revolve around Clementine ordering adults around. For example, I think All That Remains executed a playable Clementine perfectly. All of the decisions in the episode simply revolve around what Clementine should do and didn’t have choices, like in later episodes, that make Clementine decide what the whole group should do. All That Remains also did a good job with the QTE sequences where Clementine has to utilize the environment and outwit the walkers instead of just smashing their face in like Lee. Playing as an 11 year old girl in TWD is an interesting perspective and could’ve been done well if they didn’t just go back to S1-like choices and action QTE’s in the later episodes.

As I basically pointed out in the vid. His death made S1 better but screwed the other seasons. In the long run perhaps they should have had an end game before deciding to kill Lee.

I don’t think it was Lee’s death that destroyed the later seasons. I think it was simply the poor writing and questionable decisions that telltale decided to go through with (cough AllofANF cough).

* Not sure how they could have executed properly. As it would have always been unrealistic for adults to listen to a child for the major dec

• AllofANF

Boi don’t you get pissed when people shit all over TFS?

Not sure how they could have executed properly. As it would have always been unrealistic for adults to listen to a child for the major decis

• If the criticism is reasonable and understandable then no. And if the criticism is fucking stupid and ridiculous then kinda, but I mainly just get disappointed seeing how many “popular opinions” on this dead forum are just stupid.

Melton23 posted: »

AllofANF Boi don’t you get pissed when people shit all over TFS?

• I feel like they were in a no-win situation with season 2’s playable character unless they made the decision to go with a completely unrelated group. I totally agree that it was a problem having her as the main character and it’s not one that really could have been solved. There are so many instances of “we’re all adults but, hey, let the 11 year old do it or let’s ask her to decide”. Removing those things would have meant we wouldn’t have felt like we had any character agency and yet they were hard to buy.

But to play as Christa having Clementine with us, trying to bring her up, would have felt like a total do-over of season 1. It would be a redundant move. Nobody would have liked it better than we did Lee and so they would instantly start from a position of having done almost the exact same thing but better.

So yeah, I agree with the problems there but I also don’t see all that much of a better way unless they started again with a new group and maybe we only reunite with Clementine in season 3 when she is older.

• Yeah, but imagine for the rest of the game no Clem decisions mattering to the group. That would be pretty boring.

I still think Lee's death really messed them up because they didn't have a big character to replace him. I think they should have had someone else be the main character for S2.

God bless you.

Not sure how they could have executed properly. As it would have always been unrealistic for adults to listen to a child for the major decis

• The final season.

• Kate Garcia

The final season.

• How dare you insult my Katie-potatie?!

Melton23 posted: »

Kate Garcia

• Yup, as I basically said before. Killing Lee, basically messed up their future seasons. The only way I really see around it was having someone from a different group run into Clem (and she act differently based on what Lee taught her). Maybe a character that didn't have much run time like Uncle Pete or someone.

God bless you.

BeefJerkyX posted: »

I feel like they were in a no-win situation with season 2’s playable character unless they made the decision to go with a completely unrelat

• edited May 2019

Here's a quick list of my own:
    5 Removing Rewind
    4 Shorter Episodes
    3 Creative Favoritism
    2 Killing of 95% of its characters
    1 Mismanaged/Flaky Direction

• Creative favouritism?

Here's a quick list of my own: 5 Removing Rewind 4 Shorter Episodes 3 Creative Favoritism 2 Killing of 95% of its characters 1 Mismanaged/Flaky Direction

• It's not as frequent as those other problems, but it did have a considerable reflection on the story and cast balance.

Creative favouritism?

• I was hoping you’d explain further. As in the writers clearly played favourites when it came to characters?

It's not as frequent as those other problems, but it did have a considerable reflection on the story and cast balance.

• Its; not ‘it’s’.

Here's a quick list of my own: 5 Removing Rewind 4 Shorter Episodes 3 Creative Favoritism 2 Killing of 95% of its characters 1 Mismanaged/Flaky Direction

• We've got a grammar nazi here bois.

Its; not ‘it’s’.

• Boys* Nazi*

MinerJas posted: »

We've got a grammar nazi here bois.

• edited May 2019

Oh!
    Uhum, yes, of course--Kenny, Jane, and maybe David in particular.

@RobertHirschko1 Its; not ‘it’s’.

Oh shoot, I did put that, didn't I?

I was hoping you’d explain further. As in the writers clearly played favourites when it came to characters?

• With David, that was kind of baked into the entire premise of the season. Kenny and Jane, yeah, that’s a strange one because the season started a particular way and then took a total detour. I know many people love Kenny and I do feel he is one of the most interesting characters but, personally, I would have preferred it had he not returned in season 2. The moment he did, he dominated that season.

Jane I feel was built up a bit more naturally, largely because she was a new character. But the side effect was that we lost a lot about that original cabin group. Also, part of that I think comes down not just to the characters but that so much of the season from ep2 on was built around picking favourites. Season 1 had us making choices that often came from opposing characters (Kenny vs Lilly for example) but it was still about the merit of those choices. Season 2 was straight up about picking who we liked more and that was divisive and often mean-spirited. Kind of in keeping with the vibe of the season, I guess, but it wasn’t always pleasant to watch play out and, yes, came at th expense of some of the other characters.

Oh! Uhum, yes, of course--Kenny, Jane, and maybe David in particular. @RobertHirschko1 Its; not ‘it’s’. Oh shoot, I did put that, didn't I?

• xo.

MinerJas posted: »

We've got a grammar nazi here bois.

• With David, that was kind of baked into the entire premise of the season.

Mind explaining your thinking here?

Jane I feel was built up a bit more naturally, largely because she was a new character.

Naturally? She's the worst one straight-away!

With David, that was kind of baked into the entire premise of the season. Kenny and Jane, yeah, that’s a strange one because the season star

• Ha! Okay, I just see Jane a bit differently.

But with David, what I mean is that the whole story of the season is really about those two brothers. It is set up from the start and it’s where it all leads to at the end. So David is as essential as Javier and the dynamic between the two is what the season ultimately comes down to so it should come as no surprise that David gets that focus.

A New Frontier could just as easily be titled A Crappy Brother. That’s the story.
    Personally, I feel that aspect was handled pretty well. David is a total ass but he doesn’t always want to be and tries to justify it and apologise for it but then will be an ass all over again. It’s depicting an abusive relationship.

With David, that was kind of baked into the entire premise of the season. Mind explaining your thinking here? Jane I feel was

• Egh
    The point is the way the story is written and/or ultimately carried out gives off a feel that the writers are over tailoring everything to prop them up, often at the expense of how the characters are handled.

Ha! Okay, I just see Jane a bit differently. But with David, what I mean is that the whole story of the season is really about those two

• I don’t know if I feel that with David. I mean, he’s obviously hugely propped up and pushed forward but that’s because he’s totally core to the story so not sure I’d expect it to be any other way.

Egh The point is the way the story is written and/or ultimately carried out gives off a feel that the writers are over tailoring everything to prop them up, often at the expense of how the characters are handled.

• David's admittedly a half-lidded, perhaps proxy case.

I don’t know if I feel that with David. I mean, he’s obviously hugely propped up and pushed forward but that’s because he’s totally core to the story so not sure I’d expect it to be any other way.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.