Graphics

edited January 2011 in Back to the Future
You knew this was coming.

Personally, I want realistic graphics.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I don't know. I think both approaches could potentially work, but without seeing it...
  • edited June 2010
    Both can work but i think Telltale's best choice is to go in a cartoony game style similar to the ghostbusters game for the wii

I'm a little worried that with Telltale doing bigger and more popular games they may abandon lucasarts titles for bigger things.
  • edited June 2010
    I'd like to see some real action, some drama, some seriousness! If it's all too cartoony, I can't take it for real. Not with BTTF.

Imagine the DeLorean in a cartoony way..it's just not right. But, then again, if someone told me that I will cry while playing a Monkey Island game, I would have never believed him/her! Telltale can do pretty amazing stuff with their tool, including creating a cool atmosphere...almost perfect.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't care at all what style they go for.
  • edited June 2010
    They probably already know what style they're going for and thus are sitting behind their super-size computer-screens, in their big velvety thrones laughing maniacally at us.

I voted cartoony for want of a "somewhere in between the two" option.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't mind if BTTF goes cartoonish or not...

Comic1.JPG

But Jurassic Park, on the other hand, must be realistic.....or not. I guess it could work. I don't know. As long as the story is good and the gameplay fun and the graphics at least comparable to Wallace & Grommit.

Also, You'd better bloody well be able to die in Jurassic Park. Maybe in BTTF creating a paradox could result in an unwanted game ending, but I don't think it needs deaths per se. But both games need to feel dangerous. BTTF was all about time limits, high speed action, and JUST making it. This needs to be presented and experienced in the game. Jurassic Park's danger atmosphere goes without saying...

And they'd just better get Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd to voice it (unless those characters won't be in the game) or it'll be a huge epic fail. I know Fox would be up for it (he's done quite a bit of voice work since his condition) but I don't know about Lloyd. And Jeff Goldblum for Jurassic Park if nobody else.
  • edited June 2010
    At the moment I'd say somewhere in between fully realistic and cartoony. It does need to be more realistic than cartoony mind.
  • edited June 2010
    It should look like this:
    mcmonkeyisland.png
    ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Where's the "somewhere in between" option?
  • edited June 2010
    I can't rally decide. Although I think if it goes for realistic people need to remember this is an adventure game, and while the graphics will obviously be better than say, Half Life 2, you shouldn't expect Crysis.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah I don't think it has to be cartoony per se, but it should be stylized rather than realistic. I'm thinking of The Beatles Rock Band as an example of this, but there's a lot of space on that spectrum.
  • edited June 2010
    You know, for example, the new human characters (or even the redesigns of the old ones) that are seen in the last season of Sam and Max look really detailed and sleek.

I want that style.
  • edited June 2010
    Cartoony, but not over the top. Someone mentioned the Wii Ghostbusters and I think that's perfect. The BttF movies always were a bit zany and over the top so the game should capture that spirit. A realistic look would only make the characters seem like lifeless mannequins and we don't want that for something as fun as BttF.
  • edited June 2010
    What about the Star Trek Online stylized look. Originally it was going to be photo-realistic but they changed to a stylistic approach. I think the result is something that would work fairly well for BTTF.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Nimeni wrote: »
    Where's the "somewhere in between" option?

It doesn't exist. That's the whole problem with asking if you'd like "realistic" graphics or not. EVERY computer graphic representation has some degree of abstraction. And abstraction does not lie along a continuum. You don't just "crank up/down the abstraction" when producing art.

In other words, I refuse to vote on the grounds that you don't really know what you're voting for. It's almost political. :D
    I'd like to see some real action, some drama, some seriousness! If it's all too cartoony, I can't take it for real. Not with BTTF.

Impossible? Really? Absolutely? What do you think of this:

203_large.jpg

(Large: http://cghub.com/images/view/25222/ Artist's name is Dan Schoening, brilliant guy, not that anyone thinks I could do that. Oh my god, if only. You'll see MY hideous new BTTF fan art soon enough ;) )
  • edited June 2010
    It doesn't exist. That's the whole problem with asking if you'd like "realistic" graphics or not. EVERY computer graphic representation has some degree of abstraction. And abstraction does not lie along a continuum. You don't just "crank up/down the abstraction" when producing art.
    I would disagree with this statement, but I'm a pretty classical student of the McCloud Theory of Visual Iconography. ALthough I sort of suspect your definition of abstraction is slightly different, in which case I ask for clarification.
  • edited June 2010
    Oooh, thanks for that illustration - it's now my pc wallpaper.
    edited June 2010
    Soup wrote: »
    I would disagree with this statement, but I'm a pretty classical student of the McCloud Theory of Visual Iconography. ALthough I sort of suspect your definition of abstraction is slightly different, in which case I ask for clarification.

Yes, I can offer that level of theory. Nonetheless, I would like to re-read my McCloud library first (granted, it consists of only 2 of his 3 books, "Understanding Comics" and "Making Comics").

On a preliminary note, it's McCloud's tendency (and ability) to classify everything along lines and continuums. That makes his works (a) very understandable, (b) very interesting and (c) very debatable. I love all three qualities in his works. It was particularly impressive in the last chapter of "Making Comics" - concerning personal style. Very, very, very debatable classifications there - but that was the whole merit of that chapter. Really kept you thinking what you actually wanted to DO.

McCloud's students now to be named "classical". Not bad! I'm with you! ;)
  • edited June 2010
    I would prefer a Cartoon Style. So, like other Telltale Games. :D
    It's a kind of Brand, you know. You looking on a running Adventure Game and knowing that it must be from Telltale. ;)
  • edited June 2010
    that illustration is outstanding, i love it, i wouldnt mind it being like that.....but i also wouldnt mind it being pixelated like Indiana Jones was and all the other classic point and click games :P
  • edited June 2010
    Hmmm, I like the picture...

(rethinks his previous statement)

I also like cheese...

(thinks of cheese)

I'm hungry!! :D
  • edited June 2010
    Like the picture very much. Certainly wouldn't mind if the game looked like that. But it's not the engine Telltale usually uses, right? How would it look more 3D-ish?

I wouldn't want it too cartoony. It's based on a live action movie, after all. It should remain recognizable and cartoonifying something usually makes things look silly, like caricatures.
  • edited June 2010
    I wouldn't want it too cartoony. It's based on a live action movie, after all. It should remain recognizable and cartoonifying something usually makes things look silly, like caricatures.

Like the cartoon, which with the exception of Lloyd as Doc Brown, was as lame as the PG-13 Robocop who NEVER SHOT ANYONE.
    (Einstein stole the Time Train in the opening credits F.F.S.)
  • edited June 2010
    (from BTTF The Animated Series)
    topten_backtothefuture.jpg
    This kind of character design would suit telltale perfectly
    edited June 2010
    But would it suit US? :D
  • edited June 2010
    But would it suit US? :D

Some people will always love it , Other people will hate it

My presonal rule is 'nothing is ever as good or bad as you imagine it', I set my expectations low and so then the chances of being impressed are higher.

Hyping something up to insane levels can only lead to dissapointment and stupid posts on this forum about how much telltale ruined their lives and general immature shenannigans
  • edited June 2010
    Dunno, let the Telltale decide.
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe they should come up with their own style. A sort of stylized realistic look. Not too real. Not too cartoony. Like I said earlier.
  • edited June 2010
    Dage wrote: »
    (from BTTF The Animated Series)
    topten_backtothefuture.jpg
    This kind of character design would suit telltale perfectly

To me they're just horrible and childish.
    Hope TT brings up a somewhat realistic cool 3D design.
  • edited June 2010
    To me they're just horrible and childish.
    Hope TT brings up a somewhat realistic cool 3D design.

This.

But obviously not going too far overboard in making it realistic. Anyway, given budgets and speed of creation it wouldn't make any sense to make cartoons, when 3D models are quicker and cheaper these days.
  • edited June 2010
    I seriously doubt we'll see super realistic models. I actually wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see the character look based off the BttF Cartoon.
  • edited June 2010
    Cartoony would definitely work. It's less risky than realistic.
  • edited June 2010
    Please don't use realistic graphics. Everything I saw in games and movies looked like porcelaine or paper models and was a pain in the eyes.

The comicstyle posted by Vainamoinen (http://cghub.com/images/view/25222/) would be awesome (especially as 3D engine).
  • edited June 2010
    Wait, graphics or art design?

Design, I wouldn't mind either way; cartoony or realistic is fine by me.

Graphics, I prefer it advanced enough to be stunning, but modest enough for my computer.
    edited June 2010
    Duh, I'm still not ready to pick up Soup's friendly-thrown gauntlet and really get into the details of "iconic abstraction for everyone". ;)

However, here's a thought with a far simpler theoretical foundation: The cartoon version of BTTF is obviously far too simplified to remind people of the original actors - which would be a prerequisite for the BTTF game. However, as the BTTF movies show loveable, but definitly exaggerated, over-acted characters, one could state that the movies actually lend themselves to cartoonisation.

I will think about this still... but the more I think about the "animating Doc"-thread, the more I seem to come to this conclusion...

Love to hear your thoughts on this! ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Story & fun #1. Everything else is just details.
  • edited June 2010
    Details that will make or break a game. And in this case that's rather important if it ends up not feeling like a Back to the Future game.
    edited June 2010
    I'm just listening to the PC Gamers Podcast - it seems like Grossman announces a "realistic" art style (more or less). But actually, this feels like the interviewers avoid actual questions while Grossman avoids actual answers. It's really heartbreaking for people waiting a full nine days for new information. ;)
  • edited June 2010
    I think a CGI cartoony style like the Clone Wars series could fit Back to the Future quite well.
    Jurassic Park needs something more realistic, though.
    edited June 2010
    I think a CGI cartoony style like the Clone Wars series could fit Back to the Future quite well.
    Jurassic Park needs something more realistic, though.

I admit, although I was never interested in the "Clone Wars" series, the animation/art, with all its stylistic edges, caricature exaggerations, grainy textures and realistic lighting effects, was something I thought to be really interesting.

Here's a little citation from Scott McCloud's 1993 book "Understanding Comics", which I'm re-reading at the moment. It might fuel the discussion:

"When we abstract an image through cartooning, we're not so much eliminating details as we are focusing on specific details. By stripping down an image to its essential "meaning", an artist can amplify that meaning in a way that realistic art can't." ("Understanding Comics", page 30)

I think it should be clear that different artists can focus on wildly different details and thus create wildly different styles.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.