How did you first find out about HSR?

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
I know a lot of folks around here are on the edge of their seats waiting for the game to release... maybe we can distract you for a few minutes with some HSR nostalgia? :D

I'm curious to hear how everyone first found out about Homestarrunner.com (and how long you've been following the site). I first learned about them when Peasant's Quest came out. I had just started writing for Adventure Gamers, and my first assignment was to interview the Brothers Chaps about the game. (Little did I know, four years later I'd be part of the company making a game with them... karma is weird!)

Also, I once caught my boss at my old job watching Strong Bad emails in her office when she was supposed to be working. We shared a moment over it.

Anyway, how about you? How long have you been a fan, and what got you into it?

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I've been a fan since 2002 when I was introduced to H*R by my High School English teacher (no foolin'). She like it because finally somebody was fighting "the war against horrible internet language." She was an odd duck though, told us she'd dock us points if we used a spell checker, and somehow she always knew when we did...

I saw this one first, and I've been hooked ever since. I was cemented as a H*R fan when they worked with my favorite band.

Well, I'm distracted.
  • edited July 2008
    A friend of mine works for the state, and thus has loads of time during the day to look around the internet. He would always send me links to odd sites he found, and one day he sent me a link to this strange cartoon guy who answers e-mails. I was instantly hooked.

There were about seven emails at that time. I've come a long way with Strong Bad. :)

And having played every Sierra game (Conquest of Camelot is still my favorite), when Peasant's Quest came out I very nearly shed a few tears of joy. :D
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    I was a huge Sierra fan, too, which is why Peasant's Quest appealed to me so much. :)
    A friend of mine works for the state, and thus has loads of time during the day to look around the internet.

Something about this just seems so wrong...
  • edited July 2008
    When I heard about this game :D
  • edited July 2008
    Curiosity got the best of me when a bunch of references to Strong Bad started showing up around the internoobs.

Funny thing is, I didn't much care for it at first. I guess I caught a bad episode or something. But I came back to it after awhile, and I went on to watch almost every video on the site, some repeatedly. :p

Only reason I haven't watched everything on the site is because they don't update often, and I like knowing that there is unseen content still waiting.
  • edited July 2008
    I don't know exactly how I first encountered Homestar Runner.

But I do know that I possibly wouldn't have found out about Telltale without that site.

I know I was at the site when Peasant's Quest got added to the website. And it was Peasant's Quest that opened up the world of Adventure Gaming to me. I mean, I may have played similar games before. But Peasant's Quest was there at the right time to get me to play it and gain an appreciation for games of this type. I gained my love of Adventure games from a free online spoof, which is a bit sad. But it's true. I've since played through a lot of adventure games from Sierra, LucasArts, and Infocom. But it all started with disk 4 of of 12.
  • edited July 2008
    I vaguely remember going to the site around the beginning of it (I was really young.. like 1st grade?), but I thought it was weird (it made no sense to me), and missed out on a few years of awesomeness.:(
    Then in '06, I went over to my friend, and he was drawing this odd characters in his sketchpad. He told me where they were from, and I decided to take a look at the website. I watched a few toons, and I started cracking up. I later found the sbemail feature; my first sbemail was ISP. I watched it over and over, each time I laughed harder. Pretty much ever since then, I have loved all he stuff the Chap. Bros. do, and I am absolutely stoked about SBCG4AP!
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    In 2002 a fellow poster on a Flash animation forum blew the whistle on some guy plagiarizing HSR cartoons, which I hadn't seen. I wound up getting hooked on the real deal.
  • edited July 2008
    I was introduced to it by a friend during my early high school years, simple as that. I remember myself as being a pretty big follower of it after that, but it was probably years between Telltale's announcement and the last time I'd regularly visited it. (I want to say that even when Peasant's Quest came out, which momentarily renewed my interest, I was like, "Hey wow, I remember those guys!") Obviously, when the episodic series became public, I took another trip down Homestar lane.
  • edited July 2008
    i found it back in 2004 yet i didn't think much about it, i played like 1 game and watched 2 toons and decided to come back the next day, sadly this didn't happen :( but thanks to Telltale i've been reunited with it!
  • edited July 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    ... but thanks to Telltale i've been reunited ...

And it feels so good...

made myself laugh, that's half the battle.
  • edited July 2008
    I was like 7 years old, and my cousins showed it to me.I always thought it was hilarious.The first E-mail I saw was the one where someone asks what it is like when homestar and marzipan go on a date.

I wouldn't know about telltale without that site, too.
  • edited July 2008
    I think I watched a few in highschool, but it didn't set in really until freshman year of college (2004). That is when I really started paying attention to HSR.
  • edited July 2008
    Learned of it from a friend, who's a school teacher.He learned it from his class.Fan ever since.BUG SWALLOW!
  • edited July 2008
    I was at Infinite Machine so it must've been 2001 or 2002. A friend of mine from LucasArts sent me an IM that just said: http://www.homestarrunner.com

I liked it, but didn't get to be a huge fan until the crying sbemail.
  • edited July 2008
    my friend showed me the site when it first went up (me and him have connections with the Chap brothers) so ive basically seen everything:):D:D
  • edited July 2008
    Several years ago, at a LAN/Games/TV/Geekiness party at my friend's house, one of the guest had to play the latest sbemail, which was "anthem", i.e. Strong Badia's Anthem.

At the time, I went "huh?" because it wasn't at all funny to me. Even when afterwards they played "dragon" (Trogdor's inception) I didn't get it that much.

But I was intrigued.

So later I went to the site, watched the intro toons (Homestarrunner.net, Coach Z's new Jorb, the character intros) to get a feel for the universe. THEN, I went back through all the other toons and sbemails and realised it was indeed very very funny, but you needed a bit of context to get a lot of the jokes.

That's one thing I've definitely found with H*R - if you don't know the characters, a lot of the humour is lost. Once you've got to know them, it's hilarious ALL the time :)
  • edited July 2008
    I first heard about it while I was attempting to find funny cartoons on the internet in 2002. Most other cartoons were either crap, updated every 2 years, or both. The first SB_email I saw was "Flag Day" and H*R has been my Internet browser's homepage ever since. I also got all of my friends into it as well.
  • edited July 2008
    around the email looking old
  • edited July 2008
    I'm one of the ones who just had a friend show it too me. It was shortly after the big post-ISP hiatus. I remember this because it didn't update for, like, a month.
  • edited July 2008
    i was at the forums and noticed some guys, like trogllama, running around with h*r-avatars, so i though, it might be interesting. after a while i found out that this little white/red guy was homestarrunner-related and visited the website. at first i didn't like it...probably, because it gave me the impression of being way to childish. after telltale announced the game, i thought to myself: "if they're doing it, it has to be good.". so, i watched some more cartoons and once i got the hang of it...i should be through all cartoons on the website by now and once i have room for more dvds, i will probably get them as well.

okay, i know that's pretty lame...but h*r isn't really that big over here...
  • edited July 2008
    How did I find out? Podcasts my dad downloaded. April of 2006. First ever thing I watched was "Everybody to the Limit", then "TGS 8" then "Death Metal"

Then I started watching the rest on my dad's iPod, and we decided to actually go to the website...I explored...then bought merchandise that summer.
  • edited July 2008
    I learned in the big '04 when my friend wanted to show how funny teen girl squad was we watched those tha he showed me the sbemails he liked the best. I was hooked
  • edited July 2008
    Let's see, my friend told me about the fluffy puff marsmellow commercial short back in like, 2002 or 2003. But I didn't really check out the site until about 2006.:(
  • edited July 2008
    A Canadian guy told me about it back when I was in high school. He was talking about Homestar yelling out "Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me!" and I thought it was the funniest sentence I heard all week, so I went and checked it out. The Strong Bad emails had only been going on for under a year at the time :cool:
  • edited July 2008
    it was neither for me is the review of HSR on G4's attack of the show or trogdor songed by strong bad on playstation 2's guitar hero 2. then i went to the HSR website for around 2006 watched some old ones then to strong bad email then later become addicted to the web series.
  • edited July 2008
    I learned about the website through Nintendo Power because they were talking about the Internet browser games on the site and i was interested and went to the website to try the games and am now addicted to the site.
  • edited July 2008
    One day, my brother came home from school with one of his friends and went on the computer. I wanted to see what they were doing, and just as I walked in, the Homestar Runner main page loaded up. They watched A Jorb Well Done, and I was immediately hooked. It's still one of my favorite toons.
  • edited July 2008
    ive known it since 2004 because my cousin showed a SBMail to me, Virus is still my favorite.
  • edited July 2008
    Around 2000, when it came up, I was searching around the internet for random things and one of the things I searched for was "marshmallows" and Marshmallow's Last Stand was the first thing to pop up. Loved Homestar ever since.
  • edited July 2008
    For me around 2003 or 2004 I came across the site from another site's links page.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    A friend of mine who was really into Fark sent me a link to the tape leg or crazy go nuts university email when they came out (whichever of those came first). I thought they were pretty funny, (kind of hilariously in hindsight) because they reminded me of Radiskull, a handful of Flash toons I liked at the time. I didn't really get into Homestar/Strong Bad that much, though, until techno/dragon/japanese cartoon, which seems to be the triumverate of emails which made the site really take off for most of the Internet.
  • edited July 2008
    my cousin came over and he told me about it. i thought it sounded stupid, but then he showed me the sbemail dangeresque 3 and like everyone else, it became one of my favorite sites. i learned about telltale when i googled "insane rabbit" and it came up with sam and max. this was all about... 4 years ago!!!
  • edited July 2008
    A friend showed it to me a couple years ago. I think Lackey was the new SBEmail at the time, and I have been into the site ever since; can't really remember the year.

My favorite SBEmail is Kid's Book, hands down. \/
  • edited July 2008
    My cousin showed it to me a long time ago, but at first I didn't get it. Then a lot later my friend reintroduced me to the website. This time I thought that it was hilarious, and I spent a lot of time on it ever since.
  • edited July 2008
    First I heard of it was Telltale's announcement they were doing the games, so I'm hoping the games don't require much in the way of background knowledge of the comics to get the humor.
  • edited July 2008
    my fave email is colouring
  • edited July 2008
    my fave email is colouring

Never mind the bullocks!
  • edited July 2008
    I think around 2003. My uncle's a teacher, and some kid told him about this website. Me and my dad went on it, watched A Jorb Well Done and fell in love with it. I continued watching until 2005, and when the game was mentioned, I've gotton back into it.
  • edited July 2008
    I actually didn't know about it until I heard about Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People! I would like to thank the almighty Telltale for introducing me to such a great web Flash series!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.