We are the 'Tales from the Borderlands' Dev Team, AMA! (Over)

Comments

• I don't have a question, but I do want to say, thank you. Thank you for making the most unforgettable experience I have had in a very long time. I literally love every aspect of it. The characters, music, writing. Thank you so much.

• Tahnk you for answering to our questions!

MarkDarinX posted: »

Guys! This has been great! Sorry to cut my time here a bit short, but video games gots to get made!! Thanks you all for being AMAZING fans!! ~Mark Darin

• omg that had me cracking up! that and the Cassius button mashing scene!

NotSaracen posted: »

"HE DID THE THING!!!!"

• We all love you Nick. and everyone else who works at Telltales. :D

NickTTG posted: »

Wish I could stay longer, but sadly I have to take off. Thanks for being such an awesome fan base. I think we were a little bit worried you'

• No, the blue one! The one on his chest. There are many speculations about what the whole thing actually looks like. :)

https://cdn.telltalegames.com/files/borderlands/pdf/rhys_cosplay_guide.pdf

• PierreTTGPierreTTG Telltale Alumni

I'm working on getting Leyton Orient to the Premier League in my FIFA 16 Career Mode and finishing Bloodborne (I'm on vacation).

• Anyone up for a skin pizza party?

• NotSaracenNotSaracen Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2015

We had to leave some mystery out there...

astakolafs posted: »

No, the blue one! The one on his chest. There are many speculations about what the whole thing actually looks like.

Enhance! is a joke we've all been saying around the office for a while.

Final final question! Who had the idea of the ENHANCE! scene?

1. Did fan feedback in the forums tailor how you changed the story in following episodes? And if so, can you please give an example?

2. Were there any scenes you removed from the game and what were they?

Also thank you all for your wonderful talent and incredible genius to create this game!

• The idea of the stranger opening the vault to bring back a loved one was something we really liked. Everyone else was doing it out of greed and it was the robot who had pure intentions. Felt like a strong note to end on after a season of backstabbing and selfishness.

That's an interesting point of view, I hadn't thought about it like that and just assumed it was a joke about the romance between the two.

Yeah we had a lot to get through of story in 5, so we knew we had to wrap up the past in the 1st half. We toyed with the idea of letting the

When I saw that scene playable for the first time, that's when I knew this episode was gonna be good...

Danth3man98 posted: »

Anyone up for a skin pizza party?

Thanks! We all worked really hard on that one.

And keep writing!

• Thx for the answers. You guys make awesome video games.

Wish I could stay longer, but sadly I have to take off. Thanks for being such an awesome fan base. I think we were a little bit worried you'

The concept of "skin pizza" came from the twisted mind of Zack Kellar.

Danth3man98 posted: »

Anyone up for a skin pizza party?

Shade and Rudiger. Shadiger? Rude?

Duck_Hunt posted: »

Who do you ship?

The idea is that in Hyperion corporate culture it's actually an enhancement to get a bionic arm. So he paid for it to look more baller and cause it does cool stuff.

My only question: How did Rhys lose his arm?

• Another question, just because I'm curious.
    Why does Rhys have a cybernetic arm? Same goes for his eye/port, too, I guess!

• Did he ever say what were the peperone's? I need the recipe

PierreTTG posted: »

Over the course of the season things move and shift for plot reasons. Nothing controversial, just fit the flow of the story better.

dojo32161 posted: »

So both Cassius and Gortys were originally meant to premiere in episode 2, what made you change your minds/what change during that time.

• Hey guys thank you for doing this AMA! Tales From the Borderlands was personally my GOTY, Ioved it so much.

How did you conceptualize creating the main four (Rhys, Fiona, Sasha, and Vaughn)? Did you decide on their main occupation/where they came from or personality first?

Fun Fact: There was an early version of the ep 2 credit scene that was Gnarls Barkley - Going On.

Poogers555 posted: »

I remember a while back you replied to someone asking if we would get Crazy by Gnarls Barkley would be in Tales, and you said Episode 2 was going to have a Gnarls Barkley song, can you say what song it was?

• I know this might be a little early to ask, but is it possible that we will see more seasons of tales from the borderlands in the future? I have a such an emotional connection to the game and im sad that it's over

• Was there ever going to be an option to kiss Sasha in episode 5 when they were reunited?

• Fair enough ;)

We had to leave some mystery out there...

• This should be quoted for past TT games. Just so no one gets confused on these rewrite concerns.

That's a sad product of having to take some wild guesses as to exactly what will happen in every episode when we ship ep 1. Same thing with

• Sorry if it was answered already, but what are the chances of a season 2? It's pretty much my favourite telltale game.

1. Our art department worked closely with Gearbox to make sure we were hitting the Borderlands aesthetic perfectly. They put a lot of care into their designs (and keep cosplayers in mind while they do it), so we wanted to make sure that our characters fit in their universe. Asymmetry is one of the key components to the Borderlands look, but there's dozens of smaller elements that you need to hit just right with every character model. We'd start with concepts and work with Gearbox every step of the way until the final model was ready for in-game.
    2. We took inspiration from a variety of sources, from Big Fish and Rashomon for the "Two Sides to Every Story" angle, to Guardians of the Galaxy and Mad Max. Borderlands is a perfectly blended mishmash of genres, and we wanted Tales to reflect that as well.
    3. We LOVE our cosplayers! Now that the game is been out for awhile we're seeing more attention paid to the secondary characters (ie. August and Vallory). I can't wait to see cosplayed Gortys.
    4. A LOT of hard work. Storyboards and a music track help too :)
    Rattapeng posted: »

At first thank you for that awesome experience. I didn't even knew I could be hyped that much for such a type of adventure game.gives Brofis

Nope. Pretty sure Fiona would've murdered him on the spot at that point.

Enigma12 posted: »

Was there ever going to be an option to kiss Sasha in episode 5 when they were reunited?

Thank you for playing! We knew we had something good, but we're blown away by the overwhelming positive response we've received this season.

madness1660 posted: »

I don't have a question, but I do want to say, thank you. Thank you for making the most unforgettable experience I have had in a very long time. I literally love every aspect of it. The characters, music, writing. Thank you so much.

• Jealous or not wanting half a robot to get into bed with her sister?

Nope. Pretty sure Fiona would've murdered him on the spot at that point.

There was a lot of of work put into this before I got onto the project, but I think the idea was to figure out who they were to one another before figuring out their role in the world of Borderlands.

PeggyCarter posted: »

Hey guys thank you for doing this AMA! Tales From the Borderlands was personally my GOTY, Ioved it so much. How did you conceptualize cre

Rhys added the cybernetics to be a better hacker. The hardware in his arm and Echo-eye gave him an edge in Hyperion... if Vasquez knew that Rhys could remotely hack into his computer, he never would have invited him into his office.

hyperlon posted: »

Another question, just because I'm curious. Why does Rhys have a cybernetic arm? Same goes for his eye/port, too, I guess!

• When is Senpai (Laura Bailey) gonna notice me? ;-;

I already got Dameon to notice me.

What we knew first is that we wanted to tell a story about non-Vault Hunters. How do regular folks get by on Pandora (and Helios)? What are they into? Once we had that story pillar, we iterated endless on the types of people we wanted to see in this world, settling on a hacker, his best friend, and two Pandoran local con-artists. Their personality evolved throughout pre-production to the snarky, semi-dorky characters you see today.

PeggyCarter posted: »

Hey guys thank you for doing this AMA! Tales From the Borderlands was personally my GOTY, Ioved it so much. How did you conceptualize cre

That was us... We pitched it to them in person, and I held my breath until they approved it :)

• Someone has to tell him it was sicker than anything ever seen in videogames history ...
    Really. You guys were lucky to pass any PEGI ratings ... Some of them judges probably threw out ...

But still, what a lot of unexpected fun !

• Clearly Jealous, who wouldnt want that robo-man dweeb guy, and lucky my Fiona will have him I guess .-.

Jealous or not wanting half a robot to get into bed with her sister?

Okay everyone, I have to take off. Thank you so much for being the most amazing community of fans, cosplayers, debaters, critics, and fan fiction authors I've ever seen! I've been on this project for two years, and it's hard to believe it's all over. Next up, a much needed vacation...

Stay awesome!

• Sorry, another question: Did you guys EVER expect this game to be this popular with such awesome reviews, and my own GOTY?

This discussion has been closed.