We are the 'Tales from the Borderlands' Dev Team, AMA! (Over)

Comments

• PierreTTGPierreTTG Telltale Alumni

When did we decide that Loaderbot would be the The Stranger?

We had a shortlist of characters that it could be for a while early on and he was on the list. There was definitely an eye kept to staying in front of the fans (lots of forum reading) and making sure that the motivations were strong. Then as the story started to come together we all fell in love with the idea that all this was actually happening because a robot wanted his friends back. We still love that idea.

That's it for me guys. Thanks so much for all the support across the season. Sorry for the delays but we really wanted to make sure we were getting you the best episodes we could. We really appreciate you all and we're glad we got to tell this story with you.

Until the next one. :D

• Pierre
  • Love you too Pierre. <3

PierreTTG posted: »

When did we decide that Loaderbot would be the The Stranger? We had a shortlist of characters that it could be for a while early on and h

• Sad wave

When did we decide that Loaderbot would be the The Stranger? We had a shortlist of characters that it could be for a while early on and h

• You deserve it. Thanks for being awesome.

NotSaracen posted: »

Okay everyone, I have to take off. Thank you so much for being the most amazing community of fans, cosplayers, debaters, critics, and fan fi

• Thanks so much, guys. This game's been such tremendous fun!

• I just wonder why Shade wasn't a possible teammate at the end. He's either dead or thinks he's friends with Fiona, so he would both make sense and have determinant availability like most of the teammates.

• edited October 2015

Was kroger hit harder than we think by finchs death?

• edited October 2015

I have a question about the very beginning of the game. How was Rhys tracking Fiona?

By the way, probably my favorite series you've done! Awesome combination of drama and comedy. Sasha's "death" had me all sad and then when she spit out the line "guys...im not dead yet" I starting laughing my ass off.

• will Jack be back either in ttg or by gearbox ?

• It was one hell of a twist. Thanks and goodbye.

• SHOW US THE LIST

• edited October 2015

I just really wanted to say that i LOVED Tales of the Borderlands, especially as a borderlands fan of the first hour.

You showed us that this universe and pandora is so much richer storywise than just "go to point X and kill X or loot Y" (Even Gearbox got a lot better with Borderlands 2 ;) ).
    And, as a lot of people already told you, the characters were my friends at the end of season and i already miss them...

This is a very rare feeling that you get from a video game.

I'm a bit disappointed that we not saw a kiss between Rhys and Sasha (Rhysha!!!!) but the question of Fiona right in front the vault door made a bit up for it ;)

Just.... HURRAY! And... I badly want a S2. Thanks! :)

CATCH A RIIIIDE!!

• So we have our murderers's lot !!
    Get your pitchforks and torchs, guys ! To them !

Seriously, very interesting plot twist, and very interesting you guys were able to kill off such an icon.
    It surely was an emotional moment, for the players, but it's very good to see such a story collaboration between TT and GB. Of course, Scooter is dead, now, which, as it hasn't escaped to many, some can't get away with it ... Still is what happened.
    Again, really good to see some IP shared in a good way between 2 companies ...

That was us... We pitched it to them in person, and I held my breath until they approved it

• Quick question : The Tediore shield. Were there any plans for it?

• will there be a dlc

• my first answer be bs.

kristi78968 posted: »

While we totally know what happened to them, it would be no fun to give it all away. :'D Are they at least alive and well?!

• Oh yeah...Crap. ._.

bigdogg0821 posted: »

my first answer be bs.

• What factors influenced your decisions of what BL2 weapons would appear in-game?

• Thanks for the answer :D

Yeah, I actually didn't check the DLC for TPS, might give'em a try then.

Still, I stand my ground on the fact that the Guardians in the previous games look artificial while the ones inside the Traveler look more organic (heck, you even used the word "living" yourself, although I wont take that literally :P).

And well, I for one would sell a part of my soul to have Loaderbot as a vault hunter .

The creatures living in the Traveler are Guardians, often found in and around Vaults. All I can say about them is what is currently public k

• Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

Rhys added the cybernetics to be a better hacker. The hardware in his arm and Echo-eye gave him an edge in Hyperion... if Vasquez knew that Rhys could remotely hack into his computer, he never would have invited him into his office.

• Hey there,

I know this thread is already progressing faster than I can read it, from the last couple of hours, which tells a lot !

To the devs, you guys have done a HUGE job in doing this EP 5 close the whole serie in a complete way, giving a whole picture of the story.
    This EP 5 was kind of a worry, for me, as it seemed so difficult to close stories cleanly (see ME3). You really delivered, here !
    Kudos, really !

I have a single question, really: how did the story closure progress through the production of each episode ? I'm really curious about this ... Was it all done at EP 1 production or before ? Did it evolve ? How ?

• MarkDarinXMarkDarinX Former Telltale Staff

ENHANCE!!

Enhance! is a joke we've all been saying around the office for a while.

• I'm not sure if you're still accepting questions, but will you be returning for The Walking Dead: Season 3 or the Michonne mini series once you get back from vacation? Also, thanks for all the work you've done with this series, you and all of the writers did a fantastic job with this game.

I'm working on getting Leyton Orient to the Premier League in my FIFA 16 Career Mode and finishing Bloodborne (I'm on vacation).

• edited October 2015

Thank you Nick and the rest of your awesome hardworking team for this wonderful, wonderful series. Seriously, this entire narrative was a great experience and I look forward to seeing what you guys have planned next.

NickTTG posted: »

Thanks for the love Frozen! The romance with Sasha was planted because we thought it would be an interesting element for both Rhys and Fi

• And if they release TWAU S2 and TFTB S2 togheter ???
    It would be fucking awesome.

Poogers555 posted: »

2.) Do you feel like fans will treat the idea of a possible Season 2 to being the 'Next wait for TWAU S2'? Oh jeez, please dont answer that, thats just making me feel bad for a Wolf Season 2 and a Tales Season 2

• Id be dead, like no, I would fall over dead that my 2 favorite Telltale games were being made side by side

rexoninj4 posted: »

And if they release TWAU S2 and TFTB S2 togheter ??? It would be fucking awesome.

• Everyone will pal,everyone......

Poogers555 posted: »

Id be dead, like no, I would fall over dead that my 2 favorite Telltale games were being made side by side

• What was up with making him swear all the time? he never swore that much in Borderlands 2 and 1

The scene under the arena in episode 1 where Sasha and Rhys had their competition on the catwalks. It got rewritten the night before recordi

• Considering the updates we saw, it looked like Helios wasn't originally meant to be destroyed when you guys first scripted this series. What WERE the original rough plans for Helios?

• Dont worry One day , one day

Enigma12 posted: »

my heart...

• That question answered earlier.

enter image description here

ActionHank posted: »

Considering the updates we saw, it looked like Helios wasn't originally meant to be destroyed when you guys first scripted this series. What WERE the original rough plans for Helios?

• Well. Arlighty! I feel of the ignorance now. =P Thanks.

That question answered earlier.

• I hope you guys are still taking questions. College kind of prevented me from being on when this all started (being on your laptop during exams is apparently frowned upon). Anyways, just a few questions that I wanted to ask:

1. I remember Fiona and Rhys having somewhat different appearances when the game was first teased and art was released. Can you explain why they switched it up, especially Fiona? She looked more related to Sasha than before.
    2. Is Sasha's "present" appearance based on her childhood appearance?
    3. It seemed like you guys were trying to get a bit more creative with the QTEs. Is there any sort of inspiration or goal behind it (like were you just experimenting or were these ideas you had before tht were sitting on the shelf waiting to be used)?
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I still think Vaughn could take him.

• Were you planning on having CL4P-TP in the last episode the entire time?

Or was it my begging.

• edited October 2015

Is there anyway we will get season 2 if it comes?I enjoyed Tales From the borderlands a lot I would love to see a season 2 or dlc so if their is any confirmation of a season 2 or a dlc I would be happy,but for right now i enjoyed this adventure of tales from the borderlands and would love to see more in the future

• Why did you not incorporate shields into the story? In Ep. 1 you both mention them and allow us to pick one up, but it never came into play, as far as I'm aware. Also characters like Athena, who would probably be wearing shields weren't. For Athena, are you just saying Janey threw out all of her mercenary gear, except for Aspis and her sword? Speaking of Athena, why was she not in Sanctuary? Was it just to keep Tales as much separate from the main story or was there another reason?

Why did you only have one Loader Bot in the story? Hyperion has an army of them and I feel something could've been done like maybe Rhys is trying to find his but keeps confusing them? Is the fact that "Loader Bots have been getting smarter since Jack died" have anything to do with Felicity?

What is going to happen to the Vault Hunter's assault on Helios, that was referenced in Tiny Tina's DLC?

Another thing I'm just curious about-Which pre-existing Borderlands characters did you try to incorporate into the story? Why did you choose the ones you did?

And finally: How do I get involved in making these amazing games? Let me rephrase that, what does it take to become involved with such projects? How did you end up at TTG?

• I don't know, the guardians have always seemed like living beings to me in BL1 and TPS

LukeZC posted: »

Thanks for the answer Yeah, I actually didn't check the DLC for TPS, might give'em a try then. Still, I stand my ground on the fact t

• Are all the butts in game because of me?

(And thank you guys so much for being part of the forum, and seeing sketches and concept work on other sites.)

• I know this isn't about Tales from the Borderlands, but was there ever any banang in Game of Thrones? If there wasn't can you please put that in episode 6... You guys can't let the tradition die out.

This discussion has been closed.