The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• edited December 2018

Christmas has passed, and with it, there's new stuff to buy. Just ordered Metro: Redux, inFamous Second Son, Thief, and Titanfall 2. On top of that, I've still got to get to RDR2, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and, after years of saying I'm going to get back into it, the original Bioshock.

• Would anyone recommend Dark Souls 2? I heard that it's like one of the most divisive games of all time, players either hate it or love it.

• I'm rewatching bits of Until Dawn and man, how forgot how much Rami Malek hams it up after the reveal.

• edited December 2018

If you're a fan of Spider-Man, go see Into The Spider-Verse.
    Or, maybe go see it if you're not a fan.
    Just go see it.

BEST. ANIMATED MOVIE. OF THE YEAR.
    No idea where it stands on my favourite Spidey movies specifically, but it's definitely now in the top 3 alongside Spider-Man 2 and Homecoming.

"Alright... Let's do this one more time."
    BEST. ANIMATED. MOVIE. OF. THE. YEAR.

• Oh my goooooood. The directors, animators, writers, etc. The whole team did an amazing job on this film. They set out to make a comic book come to life and they really, truly did it.. It's a joy, no, honour to watch as the colours, shapes and pure comic style flow off the screen into your eyes. Yes, I'm talking really weird but that's just how good I thought this movie looked.
      From the very first image of the Official Seal of the Comics Code Authority (awesome) to the last jaw-dropping bits of the animated credits, it's fantastic, spectacular, and amazing all rolled into one. Thought bubbles, narration blocks [Meanwhile, Later, in Queens..., etc.], dotted art, sound effects, panels strewn across the screen, aspect ratio, camera angles... it's all perfectly laid out.
      The faux stop-motion animation style might look jarring at first, but you should get used to it in the first 5-10 minutes.

• The Music. My god, the music. I don't know my genres all that well, but the influences of Rap, R&B, Jazz, Synth/Lo-fi/Hi-fi/Electro, Dubstep, Rock, Punk Rock, Classical, etc. It's all there in full force and is incredible to listen to. So much of it complement the visual scenes so well (even the vocal songs don't interfere all that much with the dialogue). The Prowler's theme is my absolute favourite. Tense, awesome, dark.

• The characters. While some may have been underused in my opinion they all shine nicely. Peter B. Parker is lovingly jaded, Spider-Gwen is lovingly compassionate, Peni Parker is adorably cute and interesting, Spider-Noir is broody in the best way, and Spider-Ham is cartoonishly cartoony.
    • The writing, the jokes, it's all so well done. The references to older S-M movies, the relationships of Miles and his family, the clever jokes that poke fun at common tropes and the character itself as well as good running jokes used over the course of the film. It's so gooood. :love:

One small caveat I had was that the theater I watched this in was packed. Meaning, I was left with an aisle seat (literally), so the 3D effect only worked for about 3/4ths of the screen. Also, the audio quality wasn't all consistent, so some lines I couldn't understand as sound effects or music (or the volume of the dialogue) was drowned out/too weak. But, that's probably more related to my circumstances.

I am definitely watching this movie again. Maybe a third time. Oh, man I just want to experience it again because it gave me a rush of excitement and heroism. Seriously, as corny as this sounds and memey as this saying has become. This ending of this movie makes you feel like Spider-Man.
    I am SO buying this on bluray/dvd when it comes out. And I don't usually buy movies.

I give this movie anywhere between an 8.7-10 out of 10, with a certified golden medal for enjoyment. It's hard to believe the company who made the Emoji Movie followed it up with this well-crafted product.
    There is no way they could have made this movie in Live-Action, so if you've got something against animated features, then you are missing out.

I'd talk spoilers (as there's one that I had a small problem with) but I'm keeping this spoiler-free for now. I'm open to talk about it more in detail if you want me to (in private).

• edited December 2018

Metro: Redux, inFamous Second Son, Thief, and Titanfall 2

Those are some pretty good choices. I've tried getting into Metro (I've got 2033) on my PC, but it's a potato that can't run it smoothly, and... the controls were a bit complex imo. How you haven't played Infamous Second Son is fascinating. It's the best (at least in terms of gameplay) for the series.

got to get to RDR2, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn

Well, you've got a busy schedule now. I'm pretty sure those are pretty big games. Haven't played any of them, but I've recently purchased Horizon and hope to get to that soon.

As for me, Sony has forced my hand to murder my PS4 wallet this holiday season (because they've got new lows and new cuts on games long in my wishlist). I don't usually murder wallets so this is kinda weird for me. I've got a lot of games currently to take in and play.
    So far I've got a few games on the multiplayer side I've started: Alienation and Battlefield 4. On the backend for Single-Player later I've got The Last Guardian, Sleeping Dogs, Night In The Woods, and Horizon:ZD.
    (That doesn't take into account the games I'm currently playing like Hitman 2, Persona 3, and the Spider-Man DLC.) Wow.
    I'll go through one at a time, I guess.

Edit: @MetallicaRules Weren't you the one who started (or at least mentioned) Dying Light a few months ago? How's that going?

Christmas has passed, and with it, there's new stuff to buy. Just ordered Metro: Redux, inFamous Second Son, Thief, and Titanfall 2. On top

• Some dickhead I know went and spoiled red dead 2 for me for no reason a while back and I just can’t get myself immersed into the story knowing what’s going to happen in the end. Anyone got any pointers for how I can still enjoy it or at least forget about what I was told?

• edited December 2018

Lol, with me having no family or friends around the only thing I've been looking forward to the past few days is what I'm gonna eat for my next meal. Luckily I'll be flying back home soon, so all I can do now is laze around.

• My mom's birthday is on 29th December and this makes me terrified for some reason. Any birthday does this to me, actually, even my own. I just dread giving and receiving presents. Anyone can relate? I feel weird.

• When my Christmas present didn't come today and ruined my plans:

• Pray tell, dear Aron, what did you gift yourself?

AronDracula posted: »

When my Christmas present didn't come today and ruined my plans:

• edited December 2018

A copy of Red Dead Redemption 2. Ordered it from a game shop and told them that I expect it in 27th for the delivery but didn't reach me yet.

AChicken posted: »

Pray tell, dear Aron, what did you gift yourself?

• Ouch.
    ...maybe it'll become a nice New Year's Eve present? ?

A copy of Red Dead Redemption 2. Ordered it from a game shop and told them that I expect it in 27th for the delivery but didn't reach me yet.

• edited December 2018

I wonder how many stars there are? ??

• I was scrolling through Tumblr (please do not ask why I was scrolling through Tumblr, I’m ashamed I even admitted this to be honest) when I came across a post by Kent Mudle, one of the creative heads of TFS. He was asked whether he thought ANF gets too much hate or criticism. Let’s just say his answer is kind of scathing to not only the end result, but the management of Telltale at the time.

From the consumer perspective, I think people are right to be disappointed. It’s not what fans wanted, and not quite a bold new start for the series either. It feels like a series of half measures, has Clem, but not really, Latino family, but still pretty white, realistic art style, but still kind of cartoony. Had the management at the time been bold enough to pick a lane instead of trying to cast such a broad net, it could have been something special.

A lot of very talented artists and writers worked very hard on the season but they had to make the best of a poorly conceived plan from the higher ups. Which I think could describe a lot of telltale’s recent catalogue, very talented people in the trenches, leading to some great scenes and moments, but a flawed whole.

Ideally criticisms of the season should recognize the structural flaws while still appreciating the good bits, but I understand being that nuanced isn’t easy. S3 was made under difficult conditions, and it’s a huge credit to the hardworking artists that it turned out halfway decent.

Hearing that, even if it does validate what many speculated and knew, is still surprising, and for him to be so blunt with it is the kicker. He’s basically saying “Yeah, I can see why a lot of people hate S3, it’s not a good game, but the team did the best they could with what they were given.” It’s hard to find anything in here I disagree with, he’s pretty spot on and gets why a lot of people disliked ANF, and even says they’re justified in feeling that way.

• Why were you scrolling through Tumblr?

I was scrolling through Tumblr (please do not ask why I was scrolling through Tumblr, I’m ashamed I even admitted this to be honest) when I

• I think scrolling through tumblr alone warrants banishment from the planet entirely. Shame.

I was scrolling through Tumblr (please do not ask why I was scrolling through Tumblr, I’m ashamed I even admitted this to be honest) when I

• I finally got watch the Venom movie and I have to say, the critics were way too fucking harsh, how can this movie be worse than Catwoman? That garbage didn't even stay true to the source material, her name isn't even Selena Kyle. You're not human if you think Catwoman is a watchable movie and Venom isn't.

I'm not saying this was a perfect movie but it was definitely something that I enjoyed. I loved the relationship between Venom and Eddie, the best moment between them was definitely the "Parasite" and the elevator scene ("PUSSY") and the design and CGI were done right for the character, Tom Hardy is ten times better than Topher Grace.
    There is even something that this movie does better than a lot of movies. Eddie's ex-wife's new husband, Dan, didn't show any hatred towards his wife's ex husband and all he did was to help him get away from Venom. Finally someone who isn't a cliched boyfriend/husband.

But yeah, the storyline and the antagonist could have been done better and stupid Sony didn't have the balls to make it rated-R, they don't even have a good excuse because Deadpool and Logan were successful.

• I asked for ONE thing in this world, and what do you go ahead and do? You asked the question you weren’t supposed to ask.

dojo32161 posted: »

Why were you scrolling through Tumblr?

• I liked Venom but, man, I thought it was really dumb. Although, Mission: Impossible - Fallout and Deadpool 2 deserved more money than it.

Not hyped for Morbius the Living Vampire with...dear god, Jared Leto.

I finally got watch the Venom movie and I have to say, the critics were way too fucking harsh, how can this movie be worse than Catwoman? Th

• Thanks for sharing. It sucks that, there were some interesting ideas in ANF, but clearly it was fumbled around management wise. I do think ANF is better than what most people here think, but I think we all agree that they clearly tried (I mean, those environments were really something).

• Metallica wanted to shield his eyes from the adult content that is perverse on the Internet. Tumblr is safe. Isn't that right, @MetallicaRules? :wink:

dojo32161 posted: »

Why were you scrolling through Tumblr?

• I'm glad my bowing out payed off here.

Metallica wanted to shield his eyes from the adult content that is perverse on the Internet. Tumblr is safe. Isn't that right, @MetallicaRules?

• Hey man, when ya tell people not to ask it’ll only make people wanna ask harder.

I asked for ONE thing in this world, and what do you go ahead and do? You asked the question you weren’t supposed to ask.

• "Jimmy, don't look down."

Jimmy looks down

"Oh god, Jimmy! No!"

Jimmy freaks out, falls off the rickety bridge and dies.

lupinb0y posted: »

Hey man, when ya tell people not to ask it’ll only make people wanna ask harder.

• Hahahahahahahahahaha(starts sobbing)hahahahahahahahaha...KILL ME!

Metallica wanted to shield his eyes from the adult content that is perverse on the Internet. Tumblr is safe. Isn't that right, @MetallicaRules?

• edited December 2018

...Why is it that I can vividly picture you doing this?

Oh right, your PTSD ANF series gave me plenty of it. ?

Hahahahahahahahahaha(starts sobbing)hahahahahahahahaha...KILL ME!

• edited December 2018

Edit : ok the forums are working again.

• For a second there, I thought we were done for.

iFoRias posted: »

Edit : ok the forums are working again.

• Finally, my copy of Red Dead Redemption 2 has arrived. Just downloaded it and finished the first chapter of the game.

• Is it possible to make a thread that exists in multiple sections?

• edited December 2018

So I watched Bumblebee. I can't believe the rapper formerly known as Chilly Tee saved the Transformers movie franchise. While he may have had a failed rapping career, but he does have talent when it comes to movies. The first five minutes is the best thing in the entire franchise, I was making the goofiest smile. If the movie had ended after that first bit I would have been completely fine.

I had a really good time with it! Charlie (the main character) is great. She's a well developed character and while you may find her a bit annoying at the start due to her attitude she gets a lot better as the movie goes on. The other human characters are decent as well. The action scenes are really clear and creative with no annoying shakey cam or excessive effects like sparks and motion blur. You can actually tell what's going on. It also helps that they gave the Decepticons colour instead of making them look like crumpled aluminium foil. Also to my surprise brands and logos weren't shoved in your face.

There are also a few problems I have with the movie. You can really tell that John Cena is not the strongest actor. He's not awful (in my opinion) but he is the weakest of the cast. But he does have a few funny lines that got me going. Another is how the violence is handled in the movie. When some of the humans die they just straight up get liquefied in this really terrible effect that looks like they get turned into water. I get that the movie is family friendly but they could have made it way better looking. Finally there's a fight between John Cena and one of the Decepticons that is a bit iffy and doesn't really make sense how it lasts so long.

Overall I had a really good time with this movie. It's flawed but it's fun. It felt like the people making this were actually fans of the series. It felt like there was actual heart put into this movie. I hope to god the the following movies are like this because this movie is not making anywhere near as much money as the previous movies by Michael Bay which is disappointing. It's only just gotten past its budget.

Also make a movie that's just like the first five minutes please.

• John Cena

Agent Burns actually

So I watched Bumblebee. I can't believe the rapper formerly known as Chilly Tee saved the Transformers movie franchise. While he may have ha

• Ever watched the movie 12 Angry Men? I got the idea from that where the story is centered around the jury's deliberations and I'm exploring the social attitudes and ideologies that people in society view crimes with and representing them through the jurors. I don't want to say much more since I'm still working on most of the details and this book deals with some heavy stuff in a way that might irritate a lot of people so this thing might not even see the light of day until I'm established enough that somebody will want to publish it.

Ooo what kind of novel are you writing?

• In order to start 2019 with a lazy attempt to plug my shitty Youtube channel, I'm linking my latest video examining the year of 2009 for any who's in enough of a "who gives a shit" mood to watch it. Enjoy and happy new year!

• That sounds pretty interesting! Maybe share some more details on here once you've done more!

If you're looking to get it published you could always try self publishing on Amazon or something.

Ever watched the movie 12 Angry Men? I got the idea from that where the story is centered around the jury's deliberations and I'm exploring

• Thought about self-publishing, but I think that I'll either get no attention what so ever or get a lot of negative attention (because if this gets any real attention whatsoever, it'll be a bit controversial).

That sounds pretty interesting! Maybe share some more details on here once you've done more! If you're looking to get it published you could always try self publishing on Amazon or something.

• Would be nice if it was possible to breath life into other forum sections, but there are no devs here that can make that happen. These forums have been left to die.

DabigRG posted: »

Is it possible to make a thread that exists in multiple sections?

• Wow, it's already been almost 10 years since Avatar released? I feel old

In order to start 2019 with a lazy attempt to plug my shitty Youtube channel, I'm linking my latest video examining the year of 2009 for any who's in enough of a "who gives a shit" mood to watch it. Enjoy and happy new year!

• Hey, do you have a blog or something where you write reviews for games/movies/shows? I find your posts well thought out and interesting to read :)

So I watched Bumblebee. I can't believe the rapper formerly known as Chilly Tee saved the Transformers movie franchise. While he may have ha

• Damn, and I had finally gotten to TWAU.

Wait, no devs...?

Would be nice if it was possible to breath life into other forum sections, but there are no devs here that can make that happen. These forums have been left to die.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.