Movies of 2016

Comments

• Well, I guess Ill order the movies Ive seen this year in the order of how much I enjoyed them

1. Deadpool
    2. Zootopia
    3. 10 Cloverfield Lane
    4. Hail Ceaser
    5. The Revenant
  • I was ok with Alexander Luthor's portrayal. It did not bother me as much as other people. My problems with the film is it tried an artsy vibe with the shots and music, which did not resonate, the editing at parts were pretty bad and some of dreams were not needed. Technically Lex did not need to add to Batman's motivation, but whatever. Gal Gadot as Diane was meh (though her in the white dress....damn), her as Wonder Woman awesome. Overall it is okay.

• Like Batman v Superman or not, I'm just gonna leave this here :P

enter link description here

• Hey, Hitler's not wrong ya know.

Saltlick123 posted: »

Like Batman v Superman or not, I'm just gonna leave this here :P enter link description here

• edited April 2016

So I just saw Batman V Superman

enter image description here

Batman

Ben Affleck did the Batman part great actualy. I expected a terrible Batman but it was realy good... But why in Gods name did Batman had to kill so many people it is over the top murder count! IF you complain about Superman and Zod in Man Of Steel just be glad Batman wasn't the one fighting Zod with Spermans power. I want a special edition with a kill count on the movie.

• Good fight scenes with Batman
    • Gadgets are good
    • Great acting skills that made his dialoge better

Superman

I liked Superman... No seriously I never realy liked Superman but I did kinda like him in the movie good job but something feels realy realy realy of can't put my finger on it.

Wonder Woman

I wanted to post a naked image for extra attention- I mean** I was looking out for **her **part **the most in the movie and it was... Okay

I can't form anything on her acting skills because she didn't do that much and was only part of a big action scene for the most time.

there were side plots in the movie with her that needed more attention.

And for a fighter I'm not a expert on muscle and the human body but her actress should've eaten 6 pounds of cookies before shooting the movie and start working out more. They should've released a movie with Wonder Woman in it before Batman V Superman ever came out because her part needed more.

Lex Luthor... Calm your manly tits dude.

DC look I love you I love you more than Marvel

Yes... I said that

I knew the movie was gonna be dark but for a movie rated PEGI 12 holy violence, dark, mature, kidnapping stuff I never expected Batman going full Arkham Knight on those guys and so many detailed scenes... I loved it!

Plot Alot of build up to the battle between Batman VS Superman but eh, I understand why Batman wants to fight and Superman but I can't go full into it because spoilers. I'm kinda glad that this time people talked in a Super Hero movie about consequences. Overall I do say plot is good but it tried so much no wonder it was 151 minutes long.

Please DC release a Wonder Woman movie before this and maybe a Batman movie to that leads up to this.

Overall 7,5/10. I can go in full detail but I won't and this movie is not for everyone and even if I didn't like the movie I can say the location were good, effects were good, sounds were good, soundtrack was okay and more but this is not everyones movie

Also Ben Affleck is fucking hot I do bang him

• I actually had never thought about it that way before, about the relationship between this film, and the reference to the incident on 9/11.

Sarangholic posted: »

So I just saw Batman vs. Superman.Yes, I'm surprised too. I don't like superhero movies, and occasionally I'll see one and remember why (the

• edited April 2016

Taxi Driver review (Classic)

Been recently on a Scorsese binge and just saw one of my favorite movies all time all over again! Choosing my favorite Scorsese film is hard because he has made 3 movies in three decades that literally top my all time list. The 90's with GoodFellas, the 80's with Raging Bull, and the 70's with Taxi Driver. How can you choose between all these films? It's just impossible! I've been wanting to review this movie for some time now, so lets get to it.

"Some day, a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets."

Taxi Driver stars Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Harvey Keitel, and Cybil Shepherd, and is directed by Martin Scorsese (of course). It follows our main character, Travis Bickle (Robert De Niro). A lonely, awkward, and complex man who takes on the job of a Taxi Driver to deal with his insomnia. Throughout the film, we see him struggle with women, and observe his slow descent into madness in the seedy side of New York City.

The Positives

• Everyone else in the film does a very good job, but Robert De Niro is without a doubt the show stealer. The man is a master actor. Who didn't see that coming? What's more fascinating about De Niro's performance is his character, Travis Bickle. As previously said before, Bickle is a complex man, finding ways to cope with his loneliness. He's always awkward around people and tries to find a way to connect with them. But in the end, he always fails. In a way, many of us can sympathize with Travis. We've all experienced times where we were lonely and depressed. People like Travis are ticking time bombs with bad ideas in their heads that they just wanna act upon. The character is the pure definition of an anti-hero. Actions he takes near the end of the film represent his breaking point. That cry for attention from the media and everyone else. Actions he takes may mark him as heroic, but lets not forget that his original intent would've marked him as a deranged criminal. Realistically, Bickle would be considered psychotic in both respects. Some of you may not know what I'm talking about, so that's why you should see the movie to understand it. ;) And not only was the performance and character top, but the direction was at its A-game as well. More like A+ game. Thanks to Scorsese, we can actually feel the isolation that Travis is undergoing. But while we may feel, we may not necessarily understand everything that Travis goes through. That is a mystery left for us to interpret.

• The night life of New York City is fucking beautiful. Yes there is a bunch of scum and trash on the street, but aesthetically wise, it IS beautiful. I have the Blu-ray version, so it makes it even better. My god, the opening shot with Bickle emerging from the smoke filled sewers, driving through the soaked streets of New York looked gorgeous. The cinematography was beautiful, but there is a conflicting aspect of the atmosphere that reveals all the scum of the city. Still looked awesome though. Not to mention the film has this neo-noir type of feeling to it. Speaking of the noir tone, the soundtrack is phenomenal. I'm mainly talking about that one jazz track that plays throughout several scenes in the film, but it us god damn amazing!

The Negatives

• Now, I haven't been able to fully grasp the ending for the film. And when I mean the ending, I'm talking about the very final scene. The shootout and all that was awesome, but certain things after that I just found it too cliche in my opinion. Rumors have surfaced that the ending was all in Travis' head, but some of it's kind of find too far fetched.

Overall: Despite a very small gripe with the film's ending, Taxi Driver is literally one of the best films I have ever seen. An amazing performance by Robert De Niro, great direction from Scorsese, and an absolutely amazing protagonist. It's a movie that I can watch over, and over, and over again with the same amount of excitement as the first time I watched it. Taxi Driver deserves its mark as a classic, and deserves it's spot as one of the best American films ever made.

Grade: A+

• edited April 2016

It's called "Insane." It's actually a really good movie. Basically, there is a reporter trying to find out the story behind a woman who was abducted and commited to an illegal mental hospital, and that hospital caught on fire, after which she killed somebody. The questions are, is she guilty? What was the connection between the fire and the murder? The movie shifts between the perspective of the reporter and the woman telling about her time at the asylum, and the genre switches between thriller and horror accordingly. It's pretty good, and there is a lot of excellent cinematography, and some really interesting shots (for instance, it starts off scrolling down a skyscraper, and in the windows you can see the reflection of the National Assembly - part of the film being a condemnation of nepotism and mental health policy). It takes in some social issues as well, which, I'm not sure if this is still law, but apparently you can be committed only on the confirmation of two people and a doctor. The way they use horror elements in the asylum is particularly interesting. If I recommend this movie for anything, it's the back and forth genre play.

Main problem is spoilers there is a twist at the end which really feels like they put it in just to have a twist. I was very happy with the way the film turned out just until then. The other one, which is just a flub considered how well the film was shot otherwise, is they have an interview where it keeps flipping between a close-up and a mid-shot, and in the close-up she has her sleeves rolled up, but not in the mid-shots, and it's just a blaring continuity error. Not serious, but it did annoy me.

Probably the best movie I've seen in 2016, that said I've been extremely disappointed with the movies I've been seeing so far this year, so that's not a high standard.

• edited April 2016

The ending was something which has been debated over and over, I'm assuming you mean the epilogue - the question is whether Travis is fantasizing his last moments or whether he actually survived. Honestly, I've been studying the screenwriter, and I think it's a bit of a mixup overall - Schrader makes it look like Bickle survived, and suggested it is only temporary until such an event happens again. But Schrader is to a certain extent mimicking his cinematic idol, Robert Bresson (which would be more clear in American Gigolo and Light Sleeper - Travis saying he has stomach cancer is a reference to 'Journal d'un cure de compagne', for example), and his own masters thesis which quite frankly doesn't fit it to it. There is a religous unfolding by which the character transcends (but not necessarily survives) the narrative. Frankly, I see it as Schrader playing with a lot of the ideas and influences and experiences he had in his early 20s, and the film reflects those ambiguities quite simply because it is from a developping standpoint. Basically, Taxi Driver is Schrader getting stuff off of his chest, and the personal nature of the film potentially conflicts with a coherent and constant narrative. To re-reference the 'man in the room' series (Taxi Driver, American Gigolo, Light Sleeper, The Walker), it's him exploring similar themes, and the end of American Gigolo and Light Sleeper are both allusions to Bresson's "Pickpocket." I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I'm not sure Schrader knows where he was going with it either - it's a process which has extended itself over his filmography and which he continually comes back to. Watch the other three films I mentioned, and compare their endings to this:

Compare to Light Sleeper:

Taxi Driver review (Classic) Been recently on a Scorsese binge and just saw one of my favorite movies all time all over again! Choosi

• edited April 2016

The Sound of Music review (Classic)

I just saw The Sound of Music and it was surprisingly great! Now I don't normally like musicals as I find many of them to be very campy and somewhat unbearable. The only ones that I genuinely liked before viewing this are Singing in the Rain and My Fair Lady. With this said, The Sound of Music now makes it in that list as one of the only few musicals that I actually enjoyed. :)

The Sound of Music is directed by Robert Wise, and stars Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. It is based on the musical of the same name, which is also based on a true story. The film is set in Austria, right before shit is about to hit the fan with Hitler and the Third Reich. It follows Maria (Andrews), a former nun that is sent to be the new nanny for Cpt. von Trapp's (Plummer) children.

The Positives

• Now in order for a musical to actually be good, the musical numbers have to be good! The film started off great with the "Sound of Music" track, but I felt like it degraded with the next few as they sounded cheesy. A few of them were literally too corny for my taste. However, as the film progressed, I found myself actually loving the musical numbers after that. I would say that I began liking them as soon as the characters started to develop even further. At first, I couldn't stand the children as they were pretty fucking obnoxious and arrogant. But as they've gotten closer to Julie Andrew's character, I really did see an endearing and genuine connection between her and the rest of the family. Essentially, as the characters of the film started to get better, so did the musical numbers. It becomes even more evident in the third act of the film as it does take a bit of a darker tone. I say "dark" with lack of a better word as nothing horrendously awful happens in the end. It actually ends quite nicely, but the film did take a turn that I didn't expect it to. Near the end of the film where shit is about to go down, I wanted to see Andrews character succeed. After her character finally finds true happiness, I didn't want to see it all go to waste over some dumb war.

• The film was shot in glorious 70 mm, much like The Hateful Eight. But I honestly think it was used better here because the cameramen were actually able to capture breathtaking shots of the landscapes beyond.

The Negatives

• Several aspects of the film are very dated. Like I said before, the earlier musical numbers I found too cheesy, and the characters of the children were pretty god damn unbearable until the end. I don't know. I guess I just don't like child actors that much. :/

• Run time. Again, another movie with a 3 hour run time. But of course, it's a small gripe that I have with it personally.

Overall: A pleasant surprise that I never expected to like this much. The Sound of Music is an endearing and heartwarming film that I'd recommend any musical fan to see. It's filled with extremely well made musical numbers (at least after the first quarter or so), an endearing performance by Julie Andrews and the rest of the cast, and a heartwarming message that many of us could learn. Seriously, don't skip out on it.

Grade: A

• "If you like to hate Mad Max, GET READY TO HATE THIS!" Gonna be my slogan when I review this movie haha.

• The teaser trailer for Docter Strange was released in coalition with the world premiere of Captain America: Civil War. It's to be released on November 4th.

Doctor Strange Teaser Trailer

Thoughts?

• Marvel looks like it's expanding it's universe in a new and interesing way!

Another brit nailing the american accents

NoHopeLeft posted: »

The teaser trailer for Docter Strange was released in coalition with the world premiere of Captain America: Civil War. It's to be released on November 4th. Doctor Strange Teaser Trailer Thoughts?

• edited April 2016

Its a bit weird seeing the sound of music in a movies of 2016 thread :/

Negatives= dated. Lol what a shocker

The Sound of Music review (Classic) I just saw The Sound of Music and it was surprisingly great! Now I don't normally like musicals a

• Lol I know. But I wanted to expand a bit ya know? I haven't seen anything else lately because well... Monay stuff :(

Its a bit weird seeing the sound of music in a movies of 2016 thread Negatives= dated. Lol what a shocker

• Holy shit. How did you see it!?

• I didn't actually watch the review, I just skipped forward to where he gave his rating, Jeremy gave the movie an Awesometacular, really gets me hyped for the movie.

• I kind of expected Awesometacular from him lol. Not criticizing or anything, but what do you naturally expect amirite?

I didn't actually watch the review, I just skipped forward to where he gave his rating, Jeremy gave the movie an Awesometacular, really gets me hyped for the movie. enter link description here

• To be honest, after the disappointing Batman v Superman and how this is basically the Marvel equivalent, I was worried it wasn't going to be good.

I kind of expected Awesometacular from him lol. Not criticizing or anything, but what do you naturally expect amirite?

• You lied to me! How could you. :'(

• No your lie affected me 100%. I've just been diagnosed with clinical depression all thanks to you. :(

Lol Just kidding. Nah man we'll stay bros. I was just joking anyway haha.

• edited April 2016

So one day, I went to internet critic, Chris Stuckmann's channel, and for the first time, I discovered a new video of a movie I had never even heard of: a straight-to-Netflix thriller called, Hush. After listening to his review, I decided to give it a watch and share my two cents. And I can say, I'm glad I discovered this film. The director of this film also brought us, Oculus, which in my opinion is one of the most underrated horror films out there. So, naturally, I had some pretty high expectations for Hush.

The story follows a young author, who is both deaf and mute, and resides in a small cottage in the woods. (Yeah. I know. That's great logic, right?) But anyways, one night she is suddenly thrust into a battle for survival against a masked assaliant, who consistently taunts her and tries to break into the house. Now on the surface, the story sounds pretty standard and even kind of bland, since home invasion stories are anything but new, but it's executed fairly solidly.

The main character is very easy to root for. She's not the stereotypical dumb female that we see in a lot of crappy horror films, but she's also not an axe wielding overpowered bad ass that is suddenly invincible and unstoppable. She's just a person trying to find her way out of a bad situation by any means she can. She's not stupid. She's actually really smart. In fact, there's a pretty clever scene at one point during the film, where she's imagining a bunch of different scenarios to escape from the cottage and what the final outcome will be, which is actually based off a technique she uses to find a preferable ending to her novels. Most horror movies give a character a backstory and not have it tie into anything, but this flick cleverly ties it in and it works very well. So yeah, I like the main character.

The killer, I assure you, you will despise. And I mean that in a good way. This guy is creepy, mysterious, vulgar, sadistic, and just a straight-up douche. You're just waiting for him to drop dead at any minute. But at the same time, he's smart as well. So him and the main character are evenly matched making it harder to predict what the outcome of each scene will be. It's true, we don't know much about his past or his motive behind why he's even trying to kill this girl to begin with, but in this case, I think it's just the mysteriousness behind his character that makes him all the more intimidating and unpredictable. You just never know what this guy is going to do next.

The film is also not nearly as violent as you'd expect. Sure there's blood and stabbing and some of the basic crap you'd expect from a movie about a killer, but it mostly relies on its atmosphere and suspense to move the story forward. It doesn't feel like it needs to pander to the lowest common denominator just for the hell of it. It just wants to tell its story the way it intends and feels that it doesn't need excessive gore. The film doesn't have as much dialogue as you'd expect either. Yeah, there's actually huge portions of this film with little to no dialogue. But it's still just as suspenseful, I might even argue more suspenseful, than the scenes with dialogue. It relies on its atmosphere and its intimidating antagonist in order to build tension. So the film does show an understanding of how to build suspense.

Final Verdict:

I would recommend checking out this film. It's a solid suspenseful thriller that willl keep you on the edge of your seat and might even leave you a bit disturbed. Check it out on Netflix. It's definitely worth the watch.

Final Score:

8.5/10

• Awesome! I watched his review as well, but I don't have Netflix so I can't watch it. :(

ralo229 posted: »

So one day, I went to internet critic, Chris Stuckmann's channel, and for the first time, I discovered a new video of a movie I had never ev

• You don't have Netflix? You must be from another planet!

But in all seriousness, that's a damn shame. It's pretty good. Maybe they'll release on DVD or blu-ray in the future.

Awesome! I watched his review as well, but I don't have Netflix so I can't watch it.

• edited May 2016

Don Jon review

Not a classic review but I wanted to do it. Why not eh?

I just saw Don Jon in my cinema class and it was... awkward. But it was also pretty hilarious. Don Jon is the directorial debut of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and it stars himself, Scarlett Johansson, and Julianne Moore. The film follows Jon Mortello (Gordon-Levitt), a ladies man who is addicted to sex. Or more specifically, porno. Along the way, he runs into Scarlet Johansson and Julianne Moore, and with these two women he learns the difference between normal sex and actual love.

The Positives

• So in my Cinema class, we're looking at the evolution of genre. Out of all the genres he could pick from, he chooses the romantic comedy. I guess it's because it's easier? Anyways, after seeing two films that show their age, Don Jon changes the whole game of the romantic comedy! If you thought The Wolf of Wall Street was raunchy as hell, you HAVE NOT seen anything yet! The film is straight up with its sexual content, constantly showing scenes of pornographic material and all sorts of this obscene stuff. Don't watch this with your kids around haha. But the pornography isn't just there to get you rock hard. Gordon-Levitt manages to create an interesting story about the way men and women perceive love and sex. Women criticize men for the way they look at pornography, telling them that it isn't realistic. And Gordon-Levitt shows us that IS true! But the film isn't single sided as it criticizes the love stories that women indulge on. Ya know, those cliche'd as fuck romance films and novels? Ya, good luck finding someone like that ladies. Comedic timing was great, and the dialogue was well written. There were many times throughout the film that I was laughing my ass off. With all this said, Gordon-Levitt really shows some talent in directing AND writing. Keep it up man. :)

• Performance wise, Scarlet Johannson and Julianne Moore were my favorite parts. Scarlet Johansson was of course sexy as hell, but her looks aren't what make her a great actress. She literally DOES have acting chops. Take a look at her previous films such as Lost in Translation and Under the Skin. Don't tell me that she doesn't have what it takes. Julianne Moore is also an amazing actress. I mean she won an Oscar recently for Still Alice. But I didn't necessarily like Gordon-Levitt... on to the negatives.

The Negatives

• Now, Gordon-Levitt is by no means an awful actor. Far from it, he's one of the best working today. But in this role, I couldn't really bare him. I suppose its because of the Italian stereotype that he uses in the movie. He over does it with his characters, and the rest that he associates with. It felt so exaggerated that it was just cringy as hell to watch. The Italian family stereotype, one of Don Jon's friends. It was just unbearable to sit through. Looked like a family off of Jersey fucking Shore. :(

• Brie Larson's character is somewhat of a "Deus Ex-Machina." Can't think of another way to describe it, but she pops at one point in the movie and helps Levitt in one scene. She's there with Gordon-Levitt in several scenes, but she fucking says nothing until that moment happens! I wanted to see more of her. :(

• The ending. Ending was rather abrupt, simply summing up things with a few sentences.

Overall: Don Jon is a very good comedy film that criticizes the way we perceive love. The way love is usually portrayed in these mediums is all fictional. Its not real in anyway, and I respect Gordon-Levitt for tackling that subject. Beware that it's up the butthole with all sorts of sexual content, so be sure to watch it when no one's around. ;)

Grade: B

• He looks like eddie gluskin from outlast

Don Jon review Not a classic review but I wanted to do it. Why not eh? I just saw Don Jon in my cinema class and it was... awkward

• THE JUNGLE BOOK REVIEW

Pros:

The special effects were fantastic. You can really get into the movie, and Jon Favreau did an amazing job at it, so props to the animators, too.
    The acting was also really good, because, I know it was impossible, THE KID ACTOR WAS ACTUALLY GOOD. Gasp. Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansen, Idris Elba, and everyone was great in this movie.
    They fixed most of the problems I had with the original. The original I felt was just Mowgly going around seeing other animals, and Shir Kahn was there, too. Everything here connects, there is a point to everything, and I love it.

Cons:

There was an overuse of the thing where the main character looks at something, everything runs away, then a big animal jumps out. Some of them were effective, but it was mostly annoying.
    There was also a musical number. Not really anything bad, but it kinda bugged me.

Conclusion: I think it's a great movie. Not my favorite this year, but definitely a great film. I recommend a watch.

Grade: A-

• i liked the movie but i felt like it just ended. like "oh that was it...?" but overall i did like it.

i probably give it a lower grade like a 7/10

Don Jon review Not a classic review but I wanted to do it. Why not eh? I just saw Don Jon in my cinema class and it was... awkward

• That's one thing I forgot to mention. Ending was very abrupt. It was just a sum up with a few sentences at the end.

jamex1223 posted: »

i liked the movie but i felt like it just ended. like "oh that was it...?" but overall i did like it. i probably give it a lower grade like a 7/10

• Hey, if I could, I would. ;)

• enter link description here

I saw this as an ad on a YouTube video and my jaw literally dropped when I watched it. I mean, what the actual hell is this? A movie about a workaholic dad? And something supernatural happens to him? And he learns a lesson afterwards? Really? I thought we were rid of this cliched formula. Are we literally so short on creativity nowadays that we have to resort to making dated pandering family films with painful cliches that should've died in the early 2000's? I know it hasn't been released yet, but there's just some things that you know are doomed upon arrival.

• What the fuck is this....

I smell an F movie right here.

enter link description here I saw this as an ad on a YouTube video and my jaw literally dropped when I watched it. I mean, what the actua

• edited April 2016

Wait, is Kevin Spacy out of money or something? Holy shit, they dragged Christopher Walken into this?

What the hell do famous celebrities do to spend so much money they have to do shit like this? Honestly, you could probably have a prostitute and a line of cocaine awaiting you every day after work and still have enough not have to do these kind of movies... I give David Cross a pass for the Smurfs, because as funny as he is, it's a niche audience and that's not where his money comes from - but these guys?

enter link description here I saw this as an ad on a YouTube video and my jaw literally dropped when I watched it. I mean, what the actua

• Holy shit.

I gotta watch the previous Bournes in prep for this!

Saltlick123 posted: »

• how does everyone feel about Neighbors 2?? idk, im sttill on the fence about it. some parts of the trailer make it look funny but i fear they basically gave away most of the jokes of the trailer and they are trying to make it bigger o than the 1st just to make it bigger and in that they might fail. i mean i didnt expect to really like the first one but i did enjoy the shit out of that one. anyways your thoughts?

• Not excited for it. Saw the first one and I thought it was mediocre. Seeing this... just no.

jamex1223 posted: »

how does everyone feel about Neighbors 2?? idk, im sttill on the fence about it. some parts of the trailer make it look funny but i fear the

• New Independence Day: Resurgence Trailer

"They like to get the landmarks." This guy would be great at Cinemasins.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.