Movies of 2016

Comments

• I'm incredibly happy to hear that The Conjuring didn't succumb to shitty sequel-itis.

ralo229 posted: »

Now this was a surprise. I am so glad that this didn't follow the typical Hollywood horror film trend by sucking hard. Damn, was this a soli

• Nope. Just a shitty spinoff.

I'm incredibly happy to hear that The Conjuring didn't succumb to shitty sequel-itis.

• I was originally on the fence about seeing this movie because just by looking at the trailer, it struck me as a movie that can either be really great or really terrible. But after seeing that it got decent reviews, I decided to go the theater to watch it. (I caught a 10 PM showing and I had the theater all to myself. Boy was that nice.)

enter image description here

Pros:

-Solid premise

-Beautifully shot

-Stellar performance by Blake Livley

-Shark scenes are entertaining and suspenseful

Cons:

-Doesn't have as much dramatic heft as it could

-A couple scenes go on for way too long

-Has a few implausibilities that might turn off some viewers.

Final Verdict: So as a whole, I'd say The Shallows is a flawed but decently entertaining thriller that isn't as good as it could be, but is good enough for me to recommend. Check it out if you get a chance. Nothing spectacular, but it's well worth your money.

Final Score: 7/10

• edited July 2016

Indepence Day: Resurgence review

Independence day resurgence had all right action (not as good in the first one in my opinion), but it had a minimal plot with too many characters to get invested in it. I do NOT recommend this movie. The original was SO much better. This one had too many characters, and is just a shitty sequel.

Final ranking: Garbage/ 3/10

• The Legend of Tarzan looks interesting, looks very adult aswell. Those gorillas would probably scare a little kid.
    Shall wait and see what people are saying, might make a trip to the cinema again

• Lots of people are saying it's not very good. :/

The Legend of Tarzan looks interesting, looks very adult aswell. Those gorillas would probably scare a little kid. Shall wait and see what people are saying, might make a trip to the cinema again

• Dead Man's Shoes review (2004)

So if you did not notice, I put this movie up on the "Recommend a movie" thread. And with that said, it's obviously something I highly suggest watching. Dead Man's Shoes is a revenge film that is directed by British director, Shane Meadows. It stars Paddy Considine along with other unfamiliar, yet talented, faces. The film revolves around Richard (Considine), a war veteran who returns to his hometown to deal with a group of thugs who have done horrible things to his mentally-handicapped brother, Anthony (Kebbell). Its story is presented with a mix of flashback and present day sequences, slowly revealing what heinous things the thugs did to warrant Richard to exact his vengeance.

The Positives

• What would a good movie be without a great performance to keep it going? Paddy Considine, one of the most underrated actors ever, delivers an outstanding performance as this threatening man hell-bent on his quest for vengeance. Not only was his character bad-ass, but it was also terrifying. Later on in the film, he dawns this gas mask which pretty much makes him appear as a serial killer. Considine is the only one that I could think of who has the ability to portray Richard's character efficiently without overacting. He isn't the only one with acting chops however, as Toby Kebbell was also good at portraying the mentally-ill brother. Along with Kebbell, the group of thugs who are portrayed by the unknown actors were also surprisingly really good. What makes them so great is the way they deliver dialogue as it all feels completely genuine and realistic. On top of that, the thugs do deliver some pretty good humor to the movie. However, they do have thick British accents so it makes it a bit more difficult to understand them. The group of thugs are also complete scum as the flashbacks showcase them doing some pretty awful things to Anthony. Makes it all the more easier for us to want to see these guys get butchered by Considine.

• What makes Dead Man's Shoes a unique revenge film from the others is the fact that the movie mainly focuses on the group of thugs as they are being terrorized by Considine. And trust me, watching Considine terrorize them before going in for the kill is great. Differently from Kill Bill or The Crow where our main character goes on a killing spree to exact his revenge, Meadows decides to take things a bit slower. Rather than instantaneously builds up some great tension. The film takes its time before it gets to the nitty-gritty outcome of revenge. It starts off with humiliating them, then killing them one-by-one as the groups paranoia gets stronger and stronger.

The Negatives

• While I said that the movie focusing on the antagonists for a majority of the film was a positive, an obvious negative to come out of it is the shortened screen-time of Considine's character. I was pretty disappointed when I realized how little Considine's character had. Not saying his character was never in the film, but it was simply overshadowed by focusing on the antagonists.

• The film's pacing and storytelling is somewhat poorly executed during the film's final quarter. While I can kind of understand the purpose of it, it just wasn't necessarily executed in the best way as it felt forced in. It all came off pretty Speaking of poor execution, there was one scene in particular that I just couldn't buy. No spoilers, but to give you a hint, it involves a hunting rifle. With what happened in that scene just seemed highly implausible and just mere coincidence. So, this movie isn't exactly perfect.

• The soundtrack was pretty big miss for me. The film did have a couple of scenes where the soundtrack was used effectively, but overall it all felt pretty misused. Especially near the ending as it didn't feel completely necessary to have it. Instead, it made the scene seem to overly dramatic. But it was a pretty crucial moment so I guess I'm just being nit-picky.

Overall: Dead Man's Shoes is a pretty underrated film that doesn't follow your typical style like in Kill Bill. It's a slow burner that creates great tension, leading to a pretty satisfying payoff. The ending did feel forced as an extra plot point was revealed after everything appeared to have been finished. What the film does get right though are the performances. Pretty. God. Damn. Good.

Grade: B+

• edited July 2016

Ghostbusters (2016) review

Before going into this movie, it's best if we just extract the idea of misogyny and all that discrimination mumbo-jumbo from our thoughts. Instead, we should put our focus on how this film works on its own, and how it meshes with the Ghostbusters franchise. Now with that said, I just saw Ghostbusters and it was surprisingly alright. This reboot was directed by Paul Feig, and it stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon, and Chris Hemsworth. The plot for it is pretty much the same as the original Ghostbusters, so do I really need to provide a plot summary?

The Positives

• Performances wise? Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, and sometimes Kate McKinnon, had relatively good chemistry. Essentially, none of the performances were painfully bad. For instance, it's great seeing McCarthy expand on her comedy. She's no longer playing those loud and obnoxious asshole characters in movies like Tammy, and portions of Spy. She's becoming more tame now, and isn't as eccentric and over the top as before. I've always enjoyed Kristen Wiig, so no complaints from me there.

• I really want to focus on Leslie Jones and Chris Hemsworth as they were the major show stealers for me. When I first saw Jones cast for the movie, I initially thought I'd hate her because her brand of comedy heavily relies on the whole black stereotype thing. Not only that, I was afraid she'd be too crazy as shown in the trailers. However, that wasn't the case at all! Jones had the best comedy, the best dialogue, the best jokes. Much like McCarthy, she was tame in this movie. She wasn't loud mouthed and annoying. I'm so glad to say that she was one of, if not my favorite part of the entire film. Now Hemsworth, who plays the male version of the secretary, was hilarious as well with his stupid quips and lines. And when I say stupid, I don't mean it in a demeaning way. It was the funny kind of stupid, rather than it just being plain idiotic.

• In terms of comedy it was pretty funny. Some jokes were a complete miss of course, but other than that they were really good. The obvious show stealers for me were Leslie Jones and Chris Hemsworth. Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy certainly had their moments, but they were overshadowed by the two I previously mentioned.

• Special effects wise, pretty solid, and it fit the Ghostbusters vibe well.

The Negatives

• I can tell that the screenwriters were simply not good when it comes to implementing meaningful drama. There was a scene involving Kristen Wiig's character, and it just shows how forced in her backstory was. I absolutely hate it when writers can't find an effective way to create some sort of drama. If they can't find something effective, they grasp the simplest thing in the world and try to make it sad for the sake of it being so. That's just poor fucking writing!

• In all honesty, this film really didn't do much to add on to the Ghostbusters franchise.

• If you haven't noticed, I never thoroughly talked about Kate McKinnon's character in the positives section. That's because she simply didn't deliver for me. I can tell she's a funny comedian, but the way she acted in the film was simply too eccentric for my taste. She turned out to be what I feared of Leslie Jones' performance, and that saddens me. I seriously dislike it when any actor plays a zany character to the max because it's utterly cringe worthy. What that tells me is that the actor is trying too hard to be funny.

• The villain. Holy cow. Can you get anymore cliche'd than this? His motivation for wreaking havoc across the city of New York was simply retarded. There are scenes of him in which he's talking to himself like a madman, and he goes on this bullshit philosophical talk in an attempt to appear more edgy and threatening than he really is. Overall, it just made him annoying as hell.

• The film had an insanely large amount cameos from the original Ghostbusters. Some were okay, some made me feel genuinely happy because I got to see them again. However, there was one in particular that was horrendously used. I won't spoil it as you WILL need to see it for yourself, but the way they executed this certain character's cameo was utterly disrespectful to the source material. Disrespectful. Never thought I had to use that word to describe a cameo. :/

• Soundtrack didn't fit the Ghostbusters vibe. Too electronic.

Overall - The Ghostbusters reboot isn't a great film, and it doesn't do anything new for the Ghostbusters universe. But to say that it's the worst film ever made? Hell no. It has its entertaining moments, and it contains two hilarious performances that steal the show. If this isn't your cup of tea, then it's highly understandable.

Grade: C+

• edited July 2016

Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray will always be the original ghostbusters, the fact they are not playing their roles in the remake like in the original and Ghostbusters 2 is a major drawback.

Ghostbusters (2016) review Before going into this movie, it's best if we just extract the idea of misogyny and all that discriminatio

• Wanna know what else was a major drawback? Their cameos. :/

Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray will always be the original ghostbusters, the fact they are not playing their roles in the remake like in the original and Ghostbusters 2 is a major drawback.

• i saw The Infiltrator with Bryan Craston sunday and i thought it was pretty good.

• the overall plot when summoned up at the end was pretty cool and heavy. holy shit is drugs a big business. as if we didnt know.

*Cranston did good but idk if he killed it, there was one scene in a restaurant that was awesome but im not gonna say more cuz spoilers, just know that you feel for everyone in that scene.

• Diane Kruger, who is bae by the way, also did good, as did John Leguizamo, well pretty much everyone did good.
    • i mean the way some it went down it could have been better executed. all the time i didnt feel the dread for any of them being undercover. well one scene in general only but that was it. some scenes where very well dont though i cant lie. it made me smile when those scene played because how they were done. l like well done scenes..
    • i would have liked to see more of the colombians, imo they were under used.

8/10. a solid film, not the greatest but pretty entertaining a worth to watch.

• Has anyone seen X-Men: Apocalypse? If so, how was it?

• Surprisingly crap!!! :(

Has anyone seen X-Men: Apocalypse? If so, how was it?

• edited July 2016

Messy. Too many characters made it seem slightly rushed.

Nightcrawler was great, Evan Peter's Quicksilver was awesome again. I thought they nailed young Jean & Scott.

Apocalypse was so under welming, he's the most powerful mutant ffs! His look could have been more comic accurate tbh

Without spoiling anything its hard to review. I'll simply give it a 6.5/10

• Great young character casting ++
    • Meh story - - -
    • Quicksilver +++
    • Apocalypse - -
    • Magneto ++/--
    • Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique was more annoying -

Just needed a better/more clear cut story to drive it more imo

• Meh. It was better than Batman v Superman, I'll give it that.

• Everyone played different characters. You'll have to see them for yourself to see what types, and why they were bad. Some were ok though.

• Was it as bad as The Last Stand or Origins: Wolverine?

IMO, those are the only bad X-Men movies.

Messy. Too many characters made it seem slightly rushed. Nightcrawler was great, Evan Peter's Quicksilver was awesome again. I thought th

• Lights Out

Pros:

-Perfect atmosphere

-Intimidating antagonist

-Solid script

-Strong performances by Teresa Palmer and the rest of the cast

-The kid character isn't overly obnoxious

-Jump scares are used sparingly

Cons:

-Boyfriend character lacks development and just feels utterly pointless.

-Concept isn't anything that new

Final Verdict: While it's not as much of a breath of fresh air to the modern horror genre that the Conjuring 2 was, Lights Out is still a solid and suspenseful film that's worth your time. Just wait until it comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray so you can avoid all those obnoxious teenagers sitting and yelling in the theatre.

Final Score: 8/10

• I'm going to see this tonight! Excited to see how it compares with Conjuring 2 :)

Lights Out Pros: -Perfect atmosphere -Intimidating antagonist -Solid script -Strong performances by Teresa Palmer and the

• not going into details, am not a professional reviewer, I just give my own grade as a D -

Ghostbusters (2016) review Before going into this movie, it's best if we just extract the idea of misogyny and all that discriminatio

• The trailers were legit freaky as all hell.

Lights Out Pros: -Perfect atmosphere -Intimidating antagonist -Solid script -Strong performances by Teresa Palmer and the

• edited July 2016

In the time I've been away from this thread, I've seen 6 movies from this year. 3 of which I loved, 1 of which I feel strongly betrayed by, 1 of which was so bad it was fucking disgusting, and 1 that was so strangely charming and good that it caused me to apologize for my negative opinions I had built prior to viewing the film. I'm going to write some short reviews off of them in order of me seeing them because why the fuck not? And as a great man once said, No need to flee, this is spoiler free!

Zootopia

Now, typically, when you think "Disney movie about walking talking animals", you think of a goofy little kid friendly movie about animals doing fun stuff. But with Zootopia, this broke a lot of new ground. It had clever and adult jokes, a really coherent and well written story, hilarious pop culture references, beautiful animation, awesome music and it touched upon some really tough subjects, such as racism, segregation, stereotyping and many other social issues that they handled beautifully. Zootopia follows the story of Judy Hops, a young rabbit born from a carrot farmer family who wants to be the first bunny cop. Along her story, we meet Nick Wilde who is a hilarious bundle of joy that the movie needed. He's a con-artist who Judy recruits to solve a missing persons case. Honestly, with how disappointed I've been with Disney in recent years, this movie really surprised me. I went in expecting another mediocre, cliche Disney movie with an uninteresting villain and boring story, but I came out feeling intrigued, entertained and informed.

Pros:

• Judy and Nick work flawlessly together on-screen. Their chemistry is unmatchable and one of the best duos in a Disney movie.

• The story is incredibly well written and it flows together seamlessly.

• After each joke, the characters don't remain silent looking like idiots for a few seconds waiting for the audience to get it, they instead just move right along.

• It's very funny but not afraid to get some tears flowing.

• The mystery aspect is very awesome.

• The city of Zootopia is incredibly well designed and the animation looks outstanding.

Cons:

• I literally found out who the villain was the second they were on screen.

• The credits scene with Shakira was underwhelming and the song was forgettable.

Final Verdict: Zootopia is an incredibly enjoyable film for all ages and was never afraid to ask the tough questions. Overall a 9.5/10 for me.

Deadpool.

Deadpool is not the best superhero film I have ever seen. Not even close. But, It is the best comedy movie I've ever seen. Ever. Deadpool is a fucking hilarious movie and honestly, it deserves a lot of the praise it gets. The action is great, the comedy is fucking awesome, the characters are delightful and enjoyable, the CGI is super cool, there's so much god damn blood! This movie is the very definition of a kickass movie. Deadpool follows Wade Wilson as he meets a girl, falls in love with her, gets the big C and then becomes a superhero. Literally everything else I can say can be considered a spoiler because everything about this movie is so fucking well put together that it feels like saying anything will ruin the experience. Go fucking watch Deadpool if you haven't, you will not regret it. Unless your gag reflex is easily triggered.

Pros:

• Fucking hilarious

• Ryan Reynolds fucking nails Deadpool's character in every way.

• It shows more attacks at X-Men Origins: Wolverine than it does tits. Which is always a good thing because fuck that movie.

• Also, tits. (Just saying.)

• There is so much fucking intense, badass violence.

• Stan Lee's cameo is godly

• The acting is very good.

Cons:

• Takes a while for the plot to really go somewhere special

• Colossus has a different actor which is really weird considering this probably takes place in the Fox X-Men universe, which opens up a whole new can of worms for this story's already bullshit timeline.

• Ryan Reynolds' beautiful face is covered in makeup to make him look like an Avacado had sex with an older, uglier avacado throughout most of the film.

• The ending is a bit cliche.

Final Verdict: It's a good fucking movie. Not the best superhero movie ever, but as I said, the best comedy movie ever. 9/10.

Captain America: Civil War

After being crushed by how fucking much I hated Age of Ultron and being disappointed in Ant-Man, I was really discouraged that lesser Marvel characters or the Avengers would have have a good movie again. And then Civil War happened. Civil War is the fucking perfect example of what a superhero crossover film should be, unlike certain other giant pieces of shit that I'll get to later on. Civil War continues the plotline of Winter Solider, along with that of Age of Ultron. After a recent slip up on a mission, General Ross comes to the Avengers telling them that they've got to be put on a leash. This leads to a fallout within the group, that intensifies after Bucky is accused of a crime and Cap decides to prove him innocent. From there, shit gets fucking awesome. Captain America: Civil War is the Iron Man to Marvel being Robert Downey Jr. Their past few films have gotten mixed to negative opinions from their fans and Marvel seems to just keep making mistakes, and then Civil War comes along and Marvel are the kings once again after a short streak, just as Iron Man put RDJ back on the top. Pretty nifty analogy, right?

Pros:

• The story is incredibly well written

• The action is badass and the costumes look awesome.

• Spider-Man and Black Panther. That is all.

• The film got me to cry on multiple occasions and it really made me feel like shit after leaving the cinema.

• The acting, as usual, is great.

Cons:

• Continuing Marvel's streak, the music is bland, uninspired and forgettable.

• For some weird reason, the CGI was kind of off in this one compared to the past few films. It looked kinda bad in a few places.

• While the final scene is awesome, it was poorly built up and ultimately irritating.

• Stan Lee's cameo was a punchline to a pretty dumb joke.

Final Verdict: Captain America: Civil War is an outstanding superhero movie with some slight flaws, and I'm excited to see what comes next from Marvel Studios. Overall rating: 8/10

Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

Fuck this movie. Fuck this movie. Fuck this movie to hell and back. This is a perfect example of why Zack Snyder shouldn't be involved with anything. It's poorly written, the plot is an incoherent mess, the final battle is shit, Doomsday is shit, Superman is shit, Lex Luthor is shit. This entire movie is a massive disappointment that's only good for some mildly entertaining scenes. I honestly couldn't tell you about the plot because it was so fucking poorly written that I stopped giving a shit halfway through. Basically, Superman destroyed a lot of shit in his fight with Zod, and Batman got grumpy about it. There's more, but really, you shouldn't give a shit because this movie is nothing but fan service done horribly wrong. I don't give a fucking damn about it's poorly written mess of a story. I walked out of the cinema feeling fucking betrayed that my two favorite DC comic book stories of all time had degenerated into this piece of shit, and I absolutely have beef with Snyder now. And the fact that the films fans and the advertising itself had to audacity to say that the extended version was the "better version" when it was literally just as shitty with a slightly more coherent plot is fucking abysmal to me.

Pros:

• Batman and Wonder Woman are this films only saving graces. Batman was absolutely fucking stellar and a joy to watch 100% of the way through. Wonder Woman was fucking badass and I think I have a crush on her actress now because holy shit she was awesome.

• The music was okay at best, better than Marvel's shit.

• The acting, admittedly, was really good.

Cons:

• Literally everything about this movie that wasn't in pros is a con.

Final Verdict: Batman V Superman is a massive waste of time and money that managed to be worse than the DC TV shows with lower budgets, and that trailer for Justice League makes it look just as bad. Don't waste your money on this. Go buy Alien, or Civil War or The Force Awakens instead. Shit, go buy The Room. The fucking Room is more enjoyable than this shit. Overall an "Oh hai mark"/10

Ghostbusters (2016)

For the past few months, I've been harshly ragging on this film. Talking about how bad it looks, how pointless it is, etc. But I decided to see it anyway. Fully expected to hate it. Fully expected to be enraged by it. And then it happened, I watched it and made a discovery. Ghostbusters is not a bad movie. Not at all what-so-ever. Is it a great movie? No. Does it hold a candle to the original? In many ways, no. But is it a bad movie? Not one bit. It's actually a surprisingly enjoyable, funny and cool movie. I have issues with it, but not as many as I thought I would. Ghostbusters follows Erin Gilbert as she tries to get accepted into college, but discovers that her old friend, Abby, published a book the two of them made a long time ago concerning the paranormal. The girls investigate a report of a haunting with Abby's friend Holtzmann, and from there it's them busting ghosts. This movie was not at all as bad as I thought it'd be, and I honestly feel obligated to personally apologize to the cast for my harsh opinions towards it as I was a bit rude. Definitely not a waste of money, but also not a must-see.

Pros:

• It's genuinely funny and the 4 main characters are an absolute joy to watch interact on screen. Most notably Patty, played by Leslie Jones, and Holtzmann, played by Kate McKinnon.

• The ghost designs are really, REALLY cool. I found myself in shock at how cool they were at points.

• The acting is stellar. The banter between the main characters sounds very realistic to how friends would talk. Or at least my friend group. (Minus one since he's a memelord so everything he says is fucking stupid)

• The set pieces are really awesome.

• Chris. Hemsworth.

• The music is absolutely awesome.

Cons:

• There's a lot of unnecessary "girl power" messages in the film, a lot of them with extreme sexism towards men. Which while mostly justified, is still unfair and not needed.

• The CGI is shitty. They don't improve on it at all from the trailer, it's just plain shitty.

• Many of the jokes are cringe-worthy and awful. It makes the MLP fan base look like sophisticated people.

• Kristen Wiig's character is bland and unfunny, and she really doesn't go with the rest of the cast. Which is a shame, because I absolutely love Kristen Wiig, and she's really trying her best, but I didn't enjoy her character at all.

• Slimer's existence in the film is fucking awful.

• Really lame and pointless cameos from 2 of the original Ghostbusters.

Final Verdict: Ghostbusters is a good movie. It's not great, it's not bad, just good. You won't be missing out if you don't see it, but it's still a fun movie. Overall a 6.5/10 for me.

Always Watching: A Fucking Piss Poor Excuse For A Marble Hornets Story

Does anyone remember back in 2009 when Troy from THAC TV and his friends decided to make his own lore based on the Slenderman? And remember when it turned into something bigger and something more amazing than that? Yeah, I happen to be a huge fan of that and I loved it and THAC TV so much that I cried for hours when the original crew broke up. Marble Hornets meant something to me, and when I saw it was getting a movie adaptation, I was over the god damn moon. What this movie turned out to be, was a shitty, poorly written, god damn awful, fucking terrible, absolutely disgusting, painfully cringe-worthy, horribly boring, unfaithful, sorry, FUCKING, PISS POOR, PATHETIC, EXCUSE FOR A MARBLE HORNETS STORY. This movie is so fucking bad not only on a fanboy level, but as a whole it is a movie that does not fucking work. Yes, I know this film came out in 2015, but I saw it in 2016 and it's worth mentioning here because it is the second worst movie I have ever seen in my entire god damn life! This movie is disgraceful garbage in every fucking way, and I wouldn't be surprised if people stopped liking the series after seeing this shit! Fuck this movie! Not even gonna talk about the story, this movie doesn't fucking deserve somebody mentioning it's shitty story.

Pros:

Nothing.

Cons:

Everything

0/10. No, -10/10. NEGATIVE TEN.

• What the hell is that last movie?

By the way, loved Leslie Jones in Ghostbusters too.

In the time I've been away from this thread, I've seen 6 movies from this year. 3 of which I loved, 1 of which I feel strongly betrayed by,

• The last movie is an adaptation of a fucking amazing horror YouTube series. And as I mentioned, it's the worst thing ever.

What the hell is that last movie? By the way, loved Leslie Jones in Ghostbusters too.

• Hey people, suicide squad is coming out on the 4th/5th in most of the countries. Sadly, it comes out on the 25th of august here in Greece ;_; If you're going to review suicide squad, please do it spoiler-free or at least warn us if your review is going to have spoilers! I've been waiting for this movie for over 2 years and I don't even want a tiny spoiler, thanks :D

Btw, I watched watchmen and I loved it. If you like zack Snyder's vision and movies like bvs, man of steel or the 300 then this movie is for you. It's his best movie in my opinion. Zack seems to be really good with direct adaptions ( like 300, watchmen) but he seems to be having a problem telling a new story like in bvs and mos(I loved both bvs and mos but they had a lot of story telling flaws) He was adapting an amazing comic after all, or so I've heard at least. I'm going to buy and read the watchmen comic and see for myself ! 9.5/10

• edited July 2016

So I just got back from Batman: The Killing Joke, the movie adaptation of the critically acclaimed graphic novel of the same name by Alan Moore. This movie was produced by Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett, both of which were producers of Batman: The Animated Series, and features both Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill as the voices of Batman and The Joker.

Pros:

• Mark fucking Hamill, by God, this man IS The Joker. Some may think it's Heath Ledger, or Jack Nicholson, but no, it's definitely Mark Hamill. He's been playing The Joker for over 20 years, and this may be his best performance during that span. He absolutely steals the show.
    • The rest of the cast is great as well. Conroy was excellent as Batman, as usual. Tara Strong was good as Batgirl, and everyone else played their parts exceptionally well.
    • It was faithful to the source material. Scenes were taken directly from the graphic novel, including The Joker's infamous monologue. There were obviously a couple of changes, but for the most part, it stuck true to what made the graphic novel such a great read.

Cons:

• The animation is lacking. When compared to the animation of The Animated Series, this movie feels...lacking. It's not bad, but it's not really that good either, it's pretty meh to be honest.
    • The first 30-40 minutes. Obviously, the graphic novel is not long enough alone to be made into a movie, they have to come up with something to pad out the runtime, and what they came up with feels like a rejected episode of The Animated Series. It focuses mainly on Batgirl, and it has the sex scene that people are making the big deal about (it wasn't even that bad, I don't understand why people are making it such a big deal). It really plays no important role to the overall plot and is literally just eating up time.

Overall, the movie is pretty good, I'd give it a 7.5/10.

• Something about this movie didn't really strike a chord with me. Maybe I was just kind of turned off by the first half.

So I just got back from Batman: The Killing Joke, the movie adaptation of the critically acclaimed graphic novel of the same name by Alan Mo

• ok i got to watch Lighta Out. from the moment i heard that shit was getting a full movie i had my doubts, since adaptations of short film and etc dont exactly always work out. but im hearing not only that it isnt shit, im hearing very good reviews so its making want to go watch it. honestly im very surprised.

• Finally got round to seeing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

This movie was... Interesting to say the least. At times it felt like nothing was pushing the movie forward, can't remember much dialogue, confusing scenes. Was just another Synder fuck fest of confusing shit mixed with action and occasional dialogue. Surprisingly I did like Lex Luthor, nice change to the character - although very strange he was interesting to watch even though he also started blabbering shit.

Cons:

• Batman decides to stop hurting Superman after he says Martha
    • 'Doomsday' felt like another - I'm just here to be the end boss battle and die
    • Superman felt odd
    • Feel like they killed Superman for the reason so he can 'surprisingly' return in Justice League
    • Boring-ish scenes that I feel didn't add anything
    • This, what the bloody hell was this Flash mate

Pros:

• Batman warehouse scene
    • Wonder-Woman
    • Introduced Cyborg, Flash and Aquaman (briefly)
    • There was good action.

Overall I'd give it about 6/10

• The last one looks like a Slenderman thing. I was surprised by Ghostbusters- I was expecting it to be shit but I actually enjoyed it- I don't want to compare it to the original but by itself it was dumb fun.

In the time I've been away from this thread, I've seen 6 movies from this year. 3 of which I loved, 1 of which I feel strongly betrayed by,

• (Still getting used to this new forum format)

Can't wait for the new Bourne but I'm getting a little worried since it hasn't been released in the U.S yet but it already has a 59% on RT :(

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jason_bourne/

• I watched Chris Stuckmann's review on it. I feel like it's pretty self-explanatory, but I'm still gonna see it because Jason Bourne. :)

Saltlick123 posted: »

(Still getting used to this new forum format) Can't wait for the new Bourne but I'm getting a little worried since it hasn't been released in the U.S yet but it already has a 59% on RT https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jason_bourne/

• It is a Slenderman thing, based on the web series Marble Hornets as I literally mentioned above. But it's fine.

And I agree with Ghostbusters, it was a very enjoyable movie.

Saltlick123 posted: »

The last one looks like a Slenderman thing. I was surprised by Ghostbusters- I was expecting it to be shit but I actually enjoyed it- I don't want to compare it to the original but by itself it was dumb fun.

• edited July 2016

"Grand Father" by Lee Seo.I think you would really like this movie @ChuckTheLizard ; it's about an old, alcohol Vietnam War veteran who is one day informed that his son has committed suicide. At the funeral he meets his teenage granddaughter for the first time. As he looks more into the case and his son's friends, he begins to think that it might not have been a suicide after all...

It's an interest movie that portrays a lot of morally grey areas in a very interesting way, but also deals with personal issues such as trauma, abuse, and social issues like generation gaps and immigration, while being very well done on both the action and drama levels. Watching it I felt a lot of similarities to Taxi Driver. (Though the guy in the movie drove a bus).

Also, looking at the pictures, I see the lead is also a fellow lefty.

• Should have just called the movie Bus Driver. :D

Thanks for the recommendation man.

Sarangholic posted: »

"Grand Father" by Lee Seo.I think you would really like this movie @ChuckTheLizard ; it's about an old, alcohol Vietnam War veteran who is o

• edited August 2016

I having a feeling this thread is dying... but... its film festival season so la.

It's easy this dismiss it as a lesbian love story, but what I thought it was really about was communication between people (especially lovers), where there are so many times that they fail to tell each other what is bothering one another and they end up looking for affection in the abstract but never seek comfort for what is really bothering them, the result being only annoyance to each other. Honestly, it's an excellent movie, one of the best I've seen this year and it has a moving and affective message regardless of sexual orientation. In that way, it actually reminds me of Wong Kar Wai's "Happy Together." which is nominally about a gay couple, but is really about loss and the passage of time.

• edited August 2016

The story of a guy who runs a luckless karaoke bar (namely the sketchy kind), who hires a hostess and things go crazy from there. It pulls you in with a realistic but eccentric group of characters, but switches between drama and comedy adeptly, giving you a chance to joke about the characters quirks, but at the same time sympathize with their hardships. They use a single location extremely adeptly, giving you ample reason as to why that is the sole location, and when you do get out of it, you see just how hostile the world around the charcters can be. It combines heart and humor, and honestly it reminded me of Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson, less star-studded, but nonetheless has actors and actresses play absurd roles in a very straight fashion such that the comedy is based on the situational irony.

• How does new Nightcrawler stack up to X2's Nightcrawler? He was one of my favourite parts in that movie, and I was super excited when I heard he'd be in this.

Messy. Too many characters made it seem slightly rushed. Nightcrawler was great, Evan Peter's Quicksilver was awesome again. I thought th

• STILL not used to this forum format....

When Rotten Tomatoes already starts murdering Suicide Squad with a 34%... "Suicide Squad boasts a talented cast and a little more humor than previous DCEU efforts, but they aren't enough to save the disappointing end result from a muddled plot, thinly written characters, and choppy directing."

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/suicide_squad_2016/

Also, I saw the new Bourne when it came out and I'm mixed, it might be a good action movie but it can't help but be disappointing.

• He is obviously younger than X2 nightcrawler, still just as powerful and skilled thoguh. Knows how to use his power, I thought he was funny, his struggle to understand americans and the english language. He's sometimes overshadowed by Scott and Jean but I think thats due to them being X-Men.

Him and Quicksilver were the best parts of the movie, in my opinion

AdamGoodtme posted: »

How does new Nightcrawler stack up to X2's Nightcrawler? He was one of my favourite parts in that movie, and I was super excited when I heard he'd be in this.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.