Movies of 2016

Comments

• edited April 2016

Hardcore Henry review

enter image description here

If you like to hate Mad Max, GET READY TO HATE THIS! So yea, I just saw Hardcore Henry and it was the best video game movie I've ever seen. Hardcore Henry is essentially the bi-product of a short Youtube video titled, "Bad Motherfucker." The same director for that video decided to make a feature length film with the same camera work, and so Hardcore Henry was born. From the moment I saw the trailer, I knew where the inspiration for this movie came from. In terms of story, the film's plot is very simple. Henry recovers from an accident, his wife gets kidnapped by an organization called Anak, he tries to rescue her, and Sharlto Copley assists him along the way. That is all you need to know, let's get down right to it.

Right off the bat, the moment the credit sequences start rolling, the movie is completely straight forward with you. Dude's getting killed in a multitude of ways in slow motion with a sweet soundtrack in the background reminded me of the awesome opening credits of Deadpool. Deadpool is a better movie for obvious reasons, but let's not get into that. Then not so long after, shit hits the fan hard! If you couldn't already tell, the movie is essentially a large compilation of action sequences, among action sequences, on top of other action sequences, with another action sequence as the cherry on top. And because the film is shot all in first person, it makes for a very unique experience. Major props must be given to those who performed all the stunt work because it was very convincing. Most of what they've accomplished typically be achieved on set, so they managed to get the action right. They of course used special effects in scenes that warranted it, otherwise the action was solid. Speaking of special effects, they were surprisingly good. Except for one scene where Henry had a grenade launcher and you could tell it was obviously fucking fake. In terms of performances, the only notable actor here is Sharlto Copley, and he was without a doubt the best part. The main job of our main actor was just to perform all the stunt work as Henry's character didn't have any dialogue. They give a very good reason for that, so no complaints here. However, with the way the film was formatted with its speechless protagonist and unreal action sequences, it's a no brainer that this is pretty much a cinematic video game! This is pretty much like the early Call of Duty games. Our main protagonist never speaks, and and is tasked with killing a fuckin' armada of dudes who are just sitting ducks at this point. I shit you not, there was a sequence where Sharlto Copley and Henry had to protect a target

With all this said, it's a very fun joy ride. However, it gets repetitive. If there's one word to describe Hardcore Henry, it would be repetitive. The action sequences are fun, no doubt, but they get tiresome. At one point during the movie, I got pretty bored because I could tell what was in store next. The film's pacing is jacked up to 10000% with no brakes, but I just couldn't catch up at certain moments. Along with repetitive action, I noticed that sound effects were reused. During the final fight (which was my favorite one by the way), I heard the exact same death scream 3 times in a row. What you couldn't like record more? You could do well with all the special effects, but can't afford more than 2 sound effects? You did better than Lazer Team. That's for sure at least. One final thing I would like to discuss is the villain of the movie. This is my personal gripe with it, but I just didn't like him. He was very cheesy, and his character was just un-fucking-believable! Out of all the things they give him, they give him telekinetic powers? What the fuck!? I know I'm not supposed to take the world of Hardcore Henry very seriously, but why do we throw things like telekinesis into the batch of nonsense that is already nonsense? At least it makes up for a very entertaining throwdown in the end. :/

Overall: Hardcore Henry is a very entertaining movie, but it loses some of its luster 2/3 of the way. If you thought Mad Max: Fury Road was a movie with no substance, then you're fucking dead wrong when it comes to this. Mad Max is obviously a better made film, but Hardcore Henry is just as entertaining in some ways. Hardcore Henry is worth watching at least once.

Grade: C+/B-

• My goodness! I just watched Silence of the Lambs for the first time in my life! Anthony Hopkins is terrifying!

• Good. Now don't watch any of the other ones.

My goodness! I just watched Silence of the Lambs for the first time in my life! Anthony Hopkins is terrifying!

• Ohhh it's one of those series. Gotcha.

Johro posted: »

Good. Now don't watch any of the other ones.

• edited May 2016

For a fun comparison, watch Manhunter - it's Michael Mann's take on Red Dragon (the novel), it's a bit older, and it's really good Brian Cox is Hannibal Lector.

enter link description here

Ohhh it's one of those series. Gotcha.

• I'm not gonna watch Assassin's Creed. That series is overrated af and dosen't need anymore sequels.

I just finished Deadpool. Funny as hell :D

• Bad Moms 2016

Bad Mom is a comedy movie by the creaters of Hangover Series.This time we will get female leads which includes Mila Kunis,Kristen Bell, Christina Applegate.Three of them will play the role of naughty mom's as the title suggest.

Here is the IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4651520/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Trailer has been not out yet.Shooting is still going on.

Storyline: A woman with a seemingly perfect life - a great marriage, overachieving kids, beautiful home, stunning looks and still holding down a career. However she's over-worked, over committed and exhausted to the point that she's about to snap. Fed up, she joins forces with two other over-stressed moms and all go on a quest to liberate themselves from conventional responsibilities, going on a wild un-mom like binge of freedom, fun and self-indulgence - putting them on a collision course with PTA Queen Bee Gwendolyn and her clique of devoted perfect moms.

More info is available here too: http://fullmoviesdownloadfree.com/download-bad-moms-2016-full-movie.html

Movie looks good as Mila Kunis is one of my favorite actress.She has a baby recently with Ashton Kutcher. I will upload the trailer when it comes out.

• I feel like i've seen something like this before...

It's on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't quite point it out. :/

jimmy0082 posted: »

Bad Moms 2016 Bad Mom is a comedy movie by the creaters of Hangover Series.This time we will get female leads which includes Mila Kunis,K

• edited May 2016

Just got back from seeing the Jungle Book and I thought it was surprisingly good. I was already aware that the critics were raving about it, but it still didn't look that appealing and there have been plenty of movies that have been critically acclaimed that I personally didn't care for like, Fury Road, the Martian, and the Blair Witch Project to name a few. But I just recently got paid for helping out with a video shoot and I thought, "What the hell?" So I went and saw it:

Pros:

-CGI is amazing

-Visuals in general are amazing

-Casting was pretty good. Neel Sethi did pretty well for his first film. Idris Elba was perfect as Shere Kahn. (I swear you could put him in anything and he's find a way to make it work.) I was a bit skeptical about Bill Murray as Balloo, but he made it work. I was also skeptical about Scarlett Johanssen as Kaa, but she still made it work. Christopher Walken really did a good job as King Louie and I was honsetly expecting an awkward and cringe worthy performance honestly.

-Story makes some changes, but never enough changes to piss off fans. It stands on its own.

-Soundtrack is pretty epic.

Cons:

-First act is meh.

-Songs felt out of place to me.

-Neel Sethi had a pretty good performance. I wish I could say the same about his singing.

-Kaa's appearance is very brief.

Final Verdict:

Every once in a while you come across one of those films that you don't think you're gonna like, but after you finish it, you think to yourself, "Shit. I think I enjoyed that movie." The 2016 version of the Jungle Book is one of those films for me.

Final Score:

8/10

• Ha. The kid's singing was bad.

ralo229 posted: »

Just got back from seeing the Jungle Book and I thought it was surprisingly good. I was already aware that the critics were raving about it,

• edited June 2016

Oldboy (2013) review

So in my cinema class we just saw Oldboy. But it wasn't the good one, it was the god damn Spike Lee remake. We're pretty much studying the whole concept of subjective narration in film, and this is the best my professor could show us... Anyways, lets get to it. Oldboy stars Josh Brolin, Sharlto Copley, Elizabeth Olsen, and Samuel L. Jackson. It follows a man named Joe Doucett, a deadbeat husband and an overall despicable person. One knight, he gets kidnapped and is held prisoner in a make shift hotel room for 15 years (I think). After those long and agonizing years trapped in that hell, he's one day released for no rhyme or reason. Joe Doucett, after years of rigorous self-training, seeks his revenge on the man who took his life away.

The Positives

Oh Dae-Su is the character from the South Korean version, but for Spike Lee, it's Joe Doucett. Oh, I see Lee. Oh Dae-Su and Joe Doucett sound very alike. Very clever haha!... ha.... As you can probably tell, there isn't much to like about this movie other than that Josh Brolin delivers a really good performance. Umm... Spike Lee managed to get Joe Doucett's character development right, especially in the first quarter of the film. Yea... that's pretty much it. ON TO THE NEGATIVES!

The Negatives

For starters, nothing felt new. It didn't feel like Spike Lee did ANYTHING innovative with the story or direction. Many scenes were essentially the same as they were in the original movie, but he fucked up on a lot of scenes. The most notable one is the infamous Hallway fight scene. The original one was great because it was all done in one take, and it made our character feel vulnerable as he got his ass kicked. But in Lee's version, the main character feels like fucking Superman. While it's fun seeing him killin' dudes left and right, the fight loses it's impact. I don't feel concerned over the main character's safety, I can already tell he's gonna get out of it without a scratch! Plus, he literally cut the fight scene to make it shorter. If you pay very close attention to the cut, you can see that there was a whole lot more to the fight, and he fucking removed it. Good thinking Lee, good thinking. Now, there ARE minor changes Lee added as an attempt to make the film feel fresh. For example, he makes the weird twist ending from the original even weirder. However, I think Spike Lee only see's the magic of the original Oldboy for its fucking TWIST ENDING! Yes, the twist for the original Oldboy was certainly something, but it isn't necessarily about that. If you ask me, the original Oldboy revolves around the idea that revenge can sometimes never go the way you want it too, and that no one prospers in the end. I could go on a whole analysis trip on the original Oldboy, but let's stay on topic.

As for the other performances, they were essentially nothing special. Elizabeth Olsen wasn't special. It felt like any American girl could play her character. Samuel L. Jackson was a very odd addition. He plays the keeper of the prison, but he was very over-exaggerated. And it disappoints me to say this, but I could NOT stand Sharlto Copley in the movie. It's a shame because I think the man's a good actor. The man knows how to play overly eccentric characters, but he was way too over the top here. He's pretty much playing a cartoonish version of the villain from the original Oldboy. Nothing about his character is threatening, he's simply a weirdo. In the original Oldboy, he was still weird, but he was diabolical. The man was smart, the man had a VERY important reason for causing the pain to our main character. He felt human, while Sharlto Copley felt like a cartoon.

One last thing. The final shot of the movie was a big WTF. Ugliest thing I've ever seen. Don't know what to make of it.

Overall: Spike Lee's Oldboy felt like the most pointless remake ever. It's a movie that lacks in creative innovation, bland performances, and ultimately strays away from the deep meaning behind Oldboy's revenge plot. There is absolutely NOTHING new. Everything that Spike Lee attempted to do felt like he was only doing it for the sake of shock value. The film's only saving grace was Josh Brolin. Thank God you're a good actor. Seriously though, watch the South Korean version over this pile of garbage.

Grade: D

• Yes I can't wait to watch neighbours 2 . The first part was too funny!!
    also I think I'll have a look at The Boss

• Civil War was an amazing movie. Would 100% go to the cinema again to see.

• Red Dragon and Manhunter were both good though.

• well this past weekend i watched two movies that i didnt see before, thanks free HBO weekend. i saw Taken 3 and Horrible Bosses 2.

Taken 3- 7/10 i liked this film, but i probably like it more because of my love for the previous ones. Taken was the best but it kept getting worst. Taken 2 was entertaining but it lacked what the made the first one special. this one also lacked what first one gave us but at least it was something new, as oppose of the second one was kind of basically Taken 1.5. i didnt really liked the russians but i did feel they were a bit more of a threat. the cops part was actually good imo, but maybe i expected more there. overall something was missing but it also was kind of a good close to that series.

Horrible Bosses 2- 8/10 i liked this movie but it just wasnt the first one. some parts felt to try hard-ish. Charlie Day's character was as if he was on speed, and that other dude's character that isnt Bateman was a bit more annoying. Pine and Waltz characters were good but they werent the characters of the previous one. i kinda feel the great Johnathan Banks was a bit wasted in this, way underused imo. Aniston and Spacey's characters, although they just seemed to be brought back for some jokes, were kinda used in a good way they kinda felt a bit unnecessary, specially some of their interactions with them. but overall i liked it and maybe because, just like taken 3, i knew the characters and it was a good close to that movie series. no need for a sequel. kinda wish fast and the furious would stop..

• Anomalisa short review

I just saw Anomalisa, and I thought it was great. Anomalisa is the directorial debut of Charlie Kaufmann, and it stars Jennifer Jason Leigh, David Thewils, and Tom Noonan. What's interesting about this is that there literally is only THREE voice actors for the film. So you'll constantly hear the same voice for certain characters. Anomalisa follows Michael Stone, a lonely customer service expert who is out on a business trip in Cincinnati. During his stay, he runs into a unique and special girl that goes by the name of Lisa. Soon, the two develop a relationship with each other, and more from there. It would be very difficult for me to explain the rest of the plot as it gets very spoiler heavy from there on out. Anywho, on to the short review!

• The animation was superb. Reason being is that it felt unique. It was all stop motion, but it didn't feel choppy. The talented animators who worked on it were able to make these puppets feel like real life people. Seriously, everything from the emotions of the characters to the mannerisms were absolutely flawless. How they managed to pull all of that off, I have no idea. While the film progressed at a slow pace, I didn't really care because I was simply amazed by the animation and the dialogue. I was actually interested in what characters had to say because they feel like real human beings.

• The film is very clever in its presentation. I noticed a certain pattern going on that really helped convey what the film is really about. I previously mentioned that there were only three voice actors in the film, and there is a reason behind that. You may also notice that certain characters feel the same. It's details like these that really help immerse you into the film's universe, and give you an understanding of what Michael's character is going through. It's a film that feels simple, but with a very significant theme behind all of it.

• Just because this is an animation, doesn't mean it's for kids. No sir, this is straight up for adults. Characters swear like sailors, nudity is 100% present (I'm not joking, there's even a sex scene), and many adult themes riddled throughout the movie. With this said, the film is darkly hilarious with all of its crude humor and sex jokes. It's nothing like Deadpool, but it's still funny nonetheless.

Overall: Anomalisa was very unique experience for me. I never expected to see so much from a film that seems very simple. On the surface it seems that way, but the many details that Kaufman adds to the film really make it feel special.

Grade: A

• To be completely fair, I kind of liked Hannibal. It is also a completely different type of film though. I didn't care for the ending either. It's not the type of sequel that one would recommend because they liked the original. It's more of a better style of "Hollywood Joyride" films. If you go into it thinking "Summer Blockbuster", you'll probably enjoy it.

• edited May 2016

A film I've seen recently that I thoroughly enjoyed was director Steve McQueen's (Shame, 12 Years a Slave) first film. Debuted in 2008, Hunger is a film I had on my list of contemporary avant-garde films for some time and I can say my expectations were surpassed by the stunning acting, amazing cinematography, and exceptional script.

The film is a historical period piece following an, among other people, IRA (Irish Republic Army) member named Bobby Sands. A man who was, among many others, imprisoned by the British government and treated as non-conforming prisoner throughout the years of 1976 through 1981 and routinely beaten because of their erratic and even self-destructive behavior. The film is well-recognized as being a period-piece that, although showing great brutality and abuse to the prisoners of H-block, rarely favors one side for the other. Often the film will show the effects of the guards, further humanizing both sides and making the political stunts more understandable to either side. It's not so much an act of heroism that Bobby Sands (and other IRA members) are smearing feces on his walls, and refusing the uniform given, but simply a defiant tone that seems even at times like hot air.

One of my favorite scenes in the film is the often discussed 17 minute long stationary continuous shot in which Bobby Sands and a priest named Dominic discuss a very heavy subject... the moral weight of a hunger strike that Bobby is leading. Not one that is for protest, not one that is for compromise, but one that is for publicity through what is revealed to be mass suicide. Knowing very well he and many others will die a slow and painful death, Bobby argues that it's the only way things will ever truly be resolved to an astonished and outraged Dominic who argues he's only doing it as a defiant bloat of self-pity. The scene is amazingly staged and performed by both Michael Fassbender and Liam Cunningham.

The final 20 minutes follow the weeks of grotesque transformation Bobby went through and more importantly the actor himself underwent in order to make the tragic demise all the more palpable. A phenomenal film that deserves praise and recognition.

I'd rate it a high 8/10.

The one thing I'd say not in it's favor is that one of the artist choices makes the film quite difficult to properly dissect unless informed beforehand. Much of the film is told purely through the acts with little to no exposition lend to the audience making it quite a hard film to properly digest upon first viewing. In fact it's nearly 5 minutes into the film before the first line is said, even that is more or less just a few faint breathes.

Still a masterpiece.

• Mary and max is a good stop motion, I watched it with a room full of people about half of us were crying at the end

Anomalisa short review I just saw Anomalisa, and I thought it was great. Anomalisa is the directorial debut of Charlie Kaufmann, and

• I remember that movie! It's way too depressing though. Especially by the end.

Mary and max is a good stop motion, I watched it with a room full of people about half of us were crying at the end

• edited May 2016

Oldboy remake! I usually defend bad movies but I can't say you're wrong...the only thing I liked were the actors and they didn't really do much...

Oldboy (2013) review So in my cinema class we just saw Oldboy. But it wasn't the good one, it was the god damn Spike Lee remake. We'r

• That Fassbender kid is a damn good actor.

A film I've seen recently that I thoroughly enjoyed was director Steve McQueen's (Shame, 12 Years a Slave) first film. Debuted in 2008, Hung

• I just saw Civil War last night, and it was a fantastic movie. The airport scene is worth the price of admission alone, and it goes on for a whole whopping 17 minutes. All of the characters were really fleshed out, and the introductions of Black Panther and Spiderman were great as well.

• enter image description here
    Watched BVS over a month ago. I was super hyped for this movie but it felt overcrowded and rushed. Too much justice league setup that the movie feels like a justice league prequel. Undeveloped batman-superman conflict ( both physical and ideological )

Score:7.5/10

Just watched Captain America Civil war. Go and watch it guys. I'm not a big fan of the other marvel movies but this one was AMAZING.

Score: 9.3/10

• I saw Civil War yesterday and it was pretty good. Spiderman was great, Panther was great. The Antman scene was awesome. Maybe I missed it but how did Stark know how Spidey was?

• For anyone partaking in the Captain America: Civil War discussion, please refrain from mentioning spoilers. Please put a spoiler tag if you do.

Thanks!

• Captain America Civil War...best MCU movie to date. Not going to say anything spoilery, just that it's way, WAY better than Batman v. Superman and will not disappoint.

Overall score: 9.5/10

• Captain America: Civil War, a fantastic addition to the MCU. Thrilling and funny action scenes definitely helped. The new characters were great, and some of the returning characters, particularly one from another one of my favorite Marvel movies, really helped. The motivations for the characters also really made sense, and it was really funny. I mean, really funny.

• i saw "Civil War" yesterday. i loved it. 9/10. more like Civil Fight but it was still great. LOVED Black Panther, he was awesome and cant wait to see his stand alone film. Also spiderman was awesome, cant wait for homecoming. lets be honest Ant-man was awesome too, he is now one of my favorites. also the "villain" was good. man those fights were awesome.

Deadpool is still the best superhero movie till this date, imo.

• edited May 2016

Captain America: Civil war is awesome. I love it. 9/10. Watch it.

Also I watched Jurassic World again. It was a piece of dog shit. It was a fun movie though.

Captain America: Civil War: A.
    Jurassic World: D+

I can definitely say that I enjoyed Civil war slightly more than I did Zootopia. Even I'm surprised to say that. But I did enjoy Iron man 1 slightly more than civil war.

• Something more mature than all that comics crap. Really unique film.

enter link description here

• Now I'm jealous. I'm the only one here who hasn't seen Civil War.

• I haven't either. And I'm the head of this thread.

Now I'm jealous. I'm the only one here who hasn't seen Civil War.

• I.haven't seen it and I have no intention to, I would sooner sit on the floor in the dark staring at a wall for 2 hours then pay to watch super tripe. I wont even pirate it.

Now I'm jealous. I'm the only one here who hasn't seen Civil War.

• cool story.

I.haven't seen it and I have no intention to, I would sooner sit on the floor in the dark staring at a wall for 2 hours then pay to watch super tripe. I wont even pirate it.

• enter link description here
    I have never looked forward so much to a movie in years

• Really hoping I get time to go see X-Men: Apocalypse!

• edited May 2016

Just saw Civil War.

Pros:

-Amazing action scenes

-Compelling enough premise

-Able to use multiple characters without being incredibly convoluted

-Spider-Man

-Some really good humor. Sure. It takes itself seriously, but unlike DC, it's not afraid to be fun.

Cons:

-Black Panther, while awesome, didn't really add that much.

-Felt heavy on exposition at times

-Maybe it's just me, but I saw the twist coming from miles away.

Final Verdict:

I personally think Winter Soldier is the better movie, but Civil War is still a solid addition to the MCU.

Final Score: 8/10

• I just saw a trailer for The Purge: Election Year. It was fucking scary.

• Seeing Apocalypse tomorrow. Hopefully it's good, I'm unsure as what it will be at the moment.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.