Movies of 2016

Comments

• edited August 2016

Better than both those 2. Bit crazy at times but way better.

Sorry, as there were no notifications then, I missed this!

Was it as bad as The Last Stand or Origins: Wolverine? IMO, those are the only bad X-Men movies.

• It's okay :)

Better than both those 2. Bit crazy at times but way better. Sorry, as there were no notifications then, I missed this!

• edited August 2016

Seeing Suicide Squad on Saturday night! I'll let you guys know what I think (spoiler free)

My local comic shop were very nice to give me this poster they had :) since i'm such a nice person!

enter image description here

• Cool! Thank you for the reply :)

He is obviously younger than X2 nightcrawler, still just as powerful and skilled thoguh. Knows how to use his power, I thought he was funny,

• edited August 2016

For some reason Suicide Squad came out early....like a couple days early in select parts of the country(USA). I honestly don't know why but it literally was available to watch.

I'd honestly say for me the movie is a solid 9/10. If we was to be heavily critical of it then I can easily drop it to a 7/10. I really hate that we have these early screenings as I think it will deter people from seeing a movie that actually isn't bad...or as bad as claimed. Most are painting this movie as the worst movie to ever come out. Honestly, it could help user reviews as most hype it up to be terrible...maybe it lowers expectations.

• The bad reviews are yet to put me off, i've seen comic fans saying its solid yet, reviewers be more harsh...

For some reason Suicide Squad came out early....like a couple days early in select parts of the country(USA). I honestly don't know why but

• edited August 2016

To people that want a NON SPOLIER REVIEW of SUICIDE SQUAD MR SUNDAY MOVIES always does great videos.

I am yet to see and didnt want spoilers so you should be fine watching!

• edited August 2016

Saw Suicide Squad tonight. Loved it! Harley Quinn and Deadshot are fantastic. Didn't like leto as joker much. 8/10

• Seeing Suicide Squad later today. A little dissapointed that it got piss poor reviews, but I'm still gonna keep an open mind.

• edited August 2016

Pros:

-Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn

-Viola Davis as Amanda Waller

-Decent humorous moments

-Use of practical effects

-First third is fantastic and introduces the squad members perfectly.

Cons:

-Last two thirds is just a generic blockbuster plot line.

-Jumped around so much that several moments came off as inconsistent, sloppy, and/or rushed.

-Many of the characters, especially the Joker, were pretty paper thin and underutilized.

-Team lacked any chemistry

-Enchantress was pretty hard to take seriously most of the time she was on screen.

-Action scenes are nothing to really write home about.

-The climax is...just....just awful.

Final Verdict: I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't help but feel pretty dissapointed by this film. But I can't help but feel like there was a ton cut from this movie, especially since a good chunk of the clips you saw in the trailers weren't seen in the theatrical version. So if this film ever gets a Directors Cut, you bet your ass, I'm gonna see it. But until or if that happens, Suicide Squad is still a very blah flick. It's by no means the worst film I've seen this year, but it is the most underwhelming.

Final Score: 4/10

• I just watched Batman v Superman Way Too Long Edition and I thought it was fine. I liked it more than The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel. While I'm not a fan of this version of Luthor, I didn't have any other issues with it really. It was dark and pretty much every character went through an arc. I liked it more than The Avengers.

• I saw some reviews hating how Harley was treated. I honestly think a Harley movie may never really happen as you will have to show these really fucked scenarios. Hell, if you remember the Batman animated series Joker numerous times hits, tries to kill her, and constantly manipulates her. I think most would be scared to put that on the big screen as some would think they are glorifying it.

Oh yeah..some reviews also said they glorified gun violence. I don't even know anymore.

The bad reviews are yet to put me off, i've seen comic fans saying its solid yet, reviewers be more harsh...

• First they did the bfg and now ive just seen a trailer for petes dragon, why are they doing this the films didn't need remakes.

• edited August 2016

Guys, if you have Netflix, do yourselves a favor and witness this fucking masterpiece. Everything about it is fantastic: The story, the characters, the 80's homage, the performances, the soundtrack, the atmosphere, the pacing, literally everything. I just can't get over how fucking good it is and I want more. This is well worth your time whether you're a fan of the genre or not.

• edited August 2016

I think now with Geoff Johns in charge, they'll make it.

ralo229 posted: »

Pros: -Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn -Viola Davis as Amanda Waller -Decent humorous moments -Use of practical effects -First

• Sums up how I feel on suicide squad

• Did anyone else see trailers for Don't Breathe? I'm actually pretty excited for this.

• enter image description here
    Suicide Squad was great! I really hope we get a sequel!

+Great cast/performances
    +CAMEOS!
    +Good drama/humor balance
    +Killer Croc, el diablo and boomerang were SURPRISINGLY interesting and funny.

-Lack of Joker
    -Some pacing issues

Score: 8.5/10

If we do get a sequel, I want Deathstroke to be in it. Ben Affleck uploaded a video on his twitter/fb earlier today that shows deathstroke in front of the batmobile! Probably a suit testing for Justice League or the batman solo movie! Maybe batman will face deathstroke in his movie and will arrest him so he'll be in custody when Suicide Squad 2 comes out.

• edited October 2016

So...this thread has been kinda dead for a while. I'll bump it with this:

Pros:

-Eva Green

-Creative visuals

-Gothic atmosphere

-Has some entertainment value despite it's flaws which I'll list below.

Cons:

-Other performances are hit and miss

-Not a ton makes sense.

-The peculiar children are pretty underutilized and given the backburner to make way for a boring wonder bread protagonist.

Final Verdict:

Should you see this movie? Honestly, it all depends on your viewpoint. You might like this if you're a die hard Burton fan or if you're a fan of the book (I've never read the book, so I have no idea how well it follows it.) But if you're looking for something that makes sense, look elsewhere. Because you'll hate the shit out of this movie.

Final Score: 6/10

• edited October 2016

So I just got back from Deepwater Horizon, which is directed by Peter Berg (Lone Survivor), stars Mark Wahlberg as Mike Williams, and is about the titular drilling rig which was the cause of the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. While there isn't much characterization or development in the movie, and it does have a bit of a slow first half, the second half more than makes up for it. While you're amazed at the destruction occurring on screen, the movie did a great job of not taking away from the loss of life and the impact that this disaster had, the action doesn't distract from the emotional pathos of the movie, rather it enhances it. With how its handled, you feel like you're on the rig itself as its falling apart. And Mark Wahlberg has one of his best performances in this movie, if not his very best, I'll even say it's Oscar worthy.

Overall: A-

• edited October 2016

I just finished watching Don't Breathe.

PROS: This film did what no other film has done before. Alvarez did an exceptional job at reminding the audience that even though the film followed a certain group of people, there was no straight up protagonist or antagonist. Both sides of the conflict were never innocent, and the film made sure you knew that. In no other film has that been expressed, and it was a great twist to the horror genre.

Alongside that, the plot was coherent and unpredictable. Even if you think you know where it is going, you don't. Unpredictability is something rare from movies in general these days, and it's fascinating to see that rare of an element in a film such as this. The acting was great, although nothing Oscar worthy by any stretch of the imagination.

The way the movie was filmed made my skin crawl at times. Don't Breathe never built up its fear factor off of jump scares or gore, but off of pure tension and mystery. Nothing today does that. This is another factor that makes Don't Breathe so unique.

CONS: As a horror fan and a movie goer in general, I can't find a bad thing to say about this movie. This movie was pure horrific perfection.

Final score: 10/10. A definite must-watch for any horror fan.

• Yo, going to the cinema w/ my m8s tonight. Do you guys think we should watch The Accountant or Inferno? I wanted to watch the accountant because batman v punisher but my friend said that he wants to watch inferno. Inferno got some really bad reviews just like the first 2 movies but I loved the da vinci code and angels and demons... The accountant got some really positive/good reviews :|

• The Accountant definitely, I saw it last week and it was fantastic. It seems to be a very divisive movie though, you either absolutely love it or completely hate it.

Tolispro posted: »

Yo, going to the cinema w/ my m8s tonight. Do you guys think we should watch The Accountant or Inferno? I wanted to watch the accountant bec

• Did anyone else see Don't Breathe? How was it?

I personally loved it, as you can see from my review up above.

• edited October 2016

Yes, yes and yes! My friend wouldn't agree to go to watch the accountant but we flipped a coin 3 times and the fate decided that we have to watch the accountant. Amazing movie, probably the best movie of the year if you ask me!

The Accountant definitely, I saw it last week and it was fantastic. It seems to be a very divisive movie though, you either absolutely love it or completely hate it.

• edited November 2016

I was gonna just make another thread about this, but I figured it would kinda be appropriate here. What would you say are the best to worst films of 2016 so far?

Here's my list:

Worst to Best:

Terrible:

-Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

-Suicide Squad

Mediocre

-Warcraft

-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

-The Boy

-The Forest

Meh:

-Star Trek Beyond

-Batman: The Killing Joke

-Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

-Ghostbusters

-Morgan

-Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

-Sausage Party

Decent:

-The Witch

-Midnight Special

-X-Men: Apocalypse

-Trolls

-Storks

-The Shallows

-Kung Fu Panda 3

Good:

-Finding Dory

-Justice League vs. Teen Titans

-Captain America: Civil War

-Tallulah

-The Jungle Book

-Ouija: Origin of Evil

-Lights Out

-Kubo and the Two Strings

-Swiss Army Man

-The Invitation

-Deadpool

-Doctor Strange

-Don't Breathe

Great:

-The Nice Guys

-10 Cloverfield Lane

-The Little Prince

-Sully

-The Conjuring 2

-Hush

-Zootopia

-The Boy and the Beast

• edited December 2016

I've only seen 6 films this year.

Civil War
    Keanu
    Moana
    The Shallows
    Deadpool
    Doctor Strange

Being #6 on my list doesn't mean i didn't like it, just that i liked the other 5 more.

• edited November 2016

This actually made me realize how few American movies I actually saw this year except on an airplane... I honestly think there were maybe two or three of those I actually bought I ticket for... Overall, this was a mediocre year. A few indie films I really liked, but nothing I was in anticipation for. 2014 still reigns supreme of late at least.

• edited November 2016

Very few movies are going to last in my memory from this year, I think. Compared to 2015 or 2014 is wasn't that good.

Animation had an excellent year ,the first year to have multiple films grossing over $1B, but if we're talking about the kind of indie movies that I like it was a bit of a wash. The year isn't over, and it's mostly repeats from my earlier posts, but here's my list:

Insane: The story of a woman wrongfully committed and the journalist tyring to find out the truth. Really interesting in its blending of thriller and horror genres.
    (enter image description here)

Our Love Story: A really meaningful love story, straight or lesbian:

Grandfather: One of the best films this year, socially inquisitive with an enticing plot. Korean Taxi Driver 2016.

• I hate Dirty Grandpa with a passion. What happened to you De Niro?

• edited November 2016
    1. Captain America: Civil War
    2. Don't Breathe
    3. Lights Out
    4. Dr. Strange
    5. Deadpool

That's all XD. Everything else this year was shit.

• The Revenant was amazing! a bit weird though

Poogers555 posted: »

Well, I guess Ill order the movies Ive seen this year in the order of how much I enjoyed them * Deadpool * Zootopia * 10 Cloverfield Lane * Hail Ceaser * The Revenant

• Swiss Army Man and The Invitation were both pretty good indie films. I'd recommend checking them out if you haven't already.

I also need to see more foreign films. There's just not a ton that have gotten a lot of buzz. I really want to see Train to Busan, The Haindmaiden, The Wailing, and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Sarangholic posted: »

This actually made me realize how few American movies I actually saw this year except on an airplane... I honestly think there were maybe tw

• edited December 2016

enter image description here1

Well, I just saw this piece of shit... Actually, I shouldn't be so hostile, as it's the kind of movie I really like, just extremely poorly executed. It's making tradegy, but the thing with tragedy is that there is an element of hope. If you're watching somebody getting shit on for an hour and a half it is no longer appealing. What makes it worse is it was directed by Bernard Rose who made Candyman which is one of my absolute favorite horror movies ever.

• Jason Bourne was to me the best film of the year, saw it in cinema and what a ride!

• Seen 24 movies this year (soon to be 25)

The Good

• The Revenant
    • The Hateful Eight
    • Deadpool
    • 10 Cloverfield Land
    • Zootropolis
    • The Jungle Book
    • Captain America: Civil War
    • Star Trek Beyond
    • The BFG
    • The Magnificent Seven

The Bad

• Dad's Army
    • London Has Fallen
    • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
    • X-Men: Apocalypse
    • The Angry Birds Movie
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    • Independence Day: Resurgence
    • Ghostbusters
    • Batman: The Killing Joke
    • Suicide Squad

The Mediocre

• Warcraft: The Beginning
    • Finding Dory
    • Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders
    • Doctor Strange
  • Hacksaw Ridge. A+

• New best film I've seen all year is Sing Street. Man, it's gonna be hard to top that one.

• Seen 24 movies this year (soon to be 25)

The Good

• The Revenant
    • The Hateful Eight
    • Deadpool
    • 10 Cloverfield Land
    • Zootropolis
    • The Jungle Book
    • Captain America: Civil War
    • Star Trek Beyond
    • The BFG
    • The Magnificent Seven

The Bad

• Dad's Army
    • London Has Fallen
    • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
    • X-Men: Apocalypse
    • The Angry Birds Movie
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    • Independence Day: Resurgence
    • Ghostbusters
    • Batman: The Killing Joke
    • Suicide Squad

The Mediocre

• Warcraft: The Beginning
    • Finding Dory
    • Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders
    • Doctor Strange
  • Recently seen two movies that could be called prequels or spin-offs.... And surprisingly they were both great!

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them being great wasn't really a surprise to me though, because I could expect a great story from JK Rowling. And it was, a really engaging story, with very likable and relatable characters. The pacing was fluent, the story flowed almost constantly, but it also didn't feel rushed. It also did great job in expanding the lore of the wizarding world, and set up the sequels without being too much of a sequel bait. Overall, a 9/10 movie for me.

Rogue One was the one I was a bit more concerned about beforehand. Thankfully though, it proved itself a great movie as well! While the pacing wasn't as fluent as with Fantastic Beasts, this one knocked it out of the park when it comes to action. While some of the characters didn't really get as much attention as they deserved, the three main characters were likable and interesting. There could've been more Vader, but his presence could really be felt on the scenes that he was in. Krennic was also a decent antagonist. A great war movie, gets 8.5/10 from me.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.