Unpopular walking dead opinions?

Comments

• edited November 2017

Heh. Wonder where he is?

no idea.

You mean you were before

technically, yes but they were so awful I deleted them pretty soon out of embarrassment. On deviantart. (it was transformers shipping fanfiction) Surprisingly I had like 3 people reading them, which is more than I expected. One of them even told me not to delete it, but I couldn't handle the pressure.

In hindsight, that may have been part of the point, but unfortunately the story structure and especially the sudden boost in prominence Jane got made it more apparent then it probably needed to be.

I don't think Jane has anything to do with it. He sucked before she was introduced. If anything, his only good scenes come after Jane is introduced. He finally realizes he let everybody down in episode 5. The acting for that scene is pretty good, too.

Yeah. They got a bit of a habit to short change characters like him and Kate to needing stuff like that. Too bad characters like Sarah apparently weren't "good enough" for even that much.

I know, and sometimes it takes a while to figure out how to play the game in a way where everyone gets proper exposure. What does Sarah get? I guess she can stand up for clem (kinda) and say she was the one that took the picture in the cabin. Not that it really matters. Well, there was also when she tells Carver not to slap Clem. She sounds whiny at first with the "don't hit my friend" , but she actually sounds a bit more confident when she says "LEAVE HER ALONE!" ... I forgot about that. Considering how terrified she was of him before to the point where she could barely breathe... that's something, I guess.

DabigRG posted: »

Hoo boy, good times. Thought he was going to get me banned forever. Heh. Wonder where he is? I wish I was a fanfic writer, ag

• edited November 2017

My primary really critical observation about the ANF flashbacks was that the very basic idea of Kenny and Jane's deaths felt like they were swapped around, the suicide part not withstanding.

• edited November 2017

I think I like Clementine's story more then her voice and emotions. I'm surprised her voice hasn't changed between Season 2 and A New Frontier. Sometimes I wish it would. I do like to hear Melissa's voice though. And I don't know if I already said this but I do prefer Clementines new haircut that Javier helped her with then the pigtail haircut she had.

• technically, yes but they were so awful I deleted them pretty soon out of embarrassment. On deviantart. (it was transformers shipping fanfiction) Surprisingly I had like 3 people reading them, which is more than I expected. One of them even told me not to delete it, but I couldn't handle the pressure.

Huh, too bad for them. I don't watch Transformers anyway, so I can't say I really have a seat to take.

Maybe you should try it out again now that some time has passed. You're sure to have improved by now.

I don't think Jane has anything to do with it. He sucked before she was introduced. If anything, his only good scenes come after Jane is introduced.

What I mean was that he was probably always supposed to have some shortcomings here and there, but Jane suddenly taking up the stage more than she was supposed meant more focus was drawn to them and he never really got to crescend as they had been building up.

Though I definitely appreciate and give Nick Breckon credit for at least wrapping him up with a nice little bow as much as he could.

He finally realizes he let everybody down in episode 5. The acting for that scene is pretty good, too.

Eh, it kinda started in In Harm's Way, but whatever.

I know, and sometimes it takes a while to figure out how to play the game in a way where everyone gets proper exposure. What does Sarah get? I guess she can stand up for clem (kinda) and say she was the one that took the picture in the cabin. Not that it really matters. Well, there was also when she tells Carver not to slap Clem. She sounds whiny at first with the "don't hit my friend" , but she actually sounds a bit more confident when she says "LEAVE HER ALONE!" ... I forgot about that. Considering how terrified she was of him before to the point where she could barely breathe... that's something, I guess.

With regards to Luke and Kate, I meant in general and/or ultimately, but whatever.

But yeah, to list Sarah's moments, she:

• Always gets her the peroxide despite the consequences(though I think it is possible for her to simply get a little annoyed/bored with Clementine and do so to get rid of her)
    • Can mention that she wanted to take selfiespictures in part to cheer Clementine up(which as Y&YAH points, is one of the few times Clementine's minor depression is acknowledged)
    • Will accept the blame or come to Clementine defense regarding the picture Carver found
    • Is the onlyfirst Cabin Group member to actively get along with Walter's Group
    • Offers to keep watch while Clementine pees...(Oh Sarah...eh, it's the thought that counts)
    • Will determinately stand up to Carver if he slaps Clementine
    • Explains how Reggie got ended up in his situation
    • Helps look after Rebecca and Sarita when they get overwhelmed
    • Warns the group about the herd in lieu of Luke

[One of] The Big Issues is that she never really gets a chance to participate in an action scene despite the story clearly building up the event. A large part of that comes from how Amid the Ruins as a relative whole suddenly turns against her, even making sure she ends worse off than most despite easily being one of the nicest and most sympathetic characters.

Granted, Season 2 ultimately had that as a problem throughout(mostly in the second half), but Sarah was one of the most effected by that.

Louche posted: »

Heh. Wonder where he is? no idea. You mean you were before technically, yes but they were so awful I deleted them pret

• Huh, too bad for them. I don't watch Transformers anyway, so I can't say I really have a seat to take.

Hey, I at least gave them a heads up. That's more than some people do.

Maybe you should try it out again now that some time has passed. You're sure to have improved by now.

Wew. I got shudders just thinking about it. Writing. Jesus. I dunno. It feels like unknown territory now. But it's not like drawing. It can't be that hard, right? Which by the way, I'm still drawing telltale characters, or trying to.

Though I definitely appreciate and give Nick Breckon credit for at least wrapping him up with a nice little bow as much as he could.

Did he? How? Because he admitted he could have done more? I didn't feel like they ever really resolved the shed thing. He should have been on his knees begging Clem for forgiveness. That whole thing was shameful. Didn't apologize for dropping her, either.

Eh, it kinda started in In Harm's Way, but whatever.

Always with the technical details.

Can mention that she wanted to take selfies pictures in part to cheer Clementine up(which as Y&YAH points, is one of the few times Clementine's minor depression is acknowledged)

You know I had something to say about this (the depression aspect), but I can't remember what now. Fuck. It is a good topic.

Is the onlyfirst Cabin Group member

eh?

Offers to keep watch while Clementine pees...(Oh Sarah...eh, it's the thought that counts)

Yeah, Clem responds to that in a way that makes the whole thing cringe-worthy.
    But I guess it was to begin with. Still, it would have been nice to have some more alternate dialogue tones. So in one version she's happier with Sarah so she doesn't care if what she said is silly, she responds positively. Then again, the whole thing is occuring while they're held captive by Carver, so...
    But you get what I mean right? I could have sworn this was the case with Clem's chat with Walter. That she could have a positive tone or a negative one.

Explains how Reggie got ended up in his situation

Yes, one of her few moments of clarity

Helps look after Rebecca and Sarita when they get overwhelmed

Extremely brief and glossed over

Warns the group about the herd in lieu of Luke

Eh?

One of the big issues is that she never really gets a chance to participate in an action scene despite the story clearly building up the event.

Well, judging by the promo art, In Harms Way might have been that one point.

Granted, Season 2 ultimately had that as a problem throughout(mostly in the second half), but Sarah was one of the most effected by that.

Didn't season 1, too? Season 1 wasn't perfect. You rarely ever had moments where you were doing stuff with others that WASN'T a cutscene. And no, I'm not counting hubs where they just stand there, you know what I mean. Even exploratory stuff.

technically, yes but they were so awful I deleted them pretty soon out of embarrassment. On deviantart. (it was transformers shipping fanfic

• edited November 2017

Hey, I at least gave them a heads up. That's more than some people do.

Very true. :disappointed: :

Wew. I got shudders just thinking about it. Writing. Jesus. I dunno. It feels like unknown territory now. But it's not like drawing. It can't be that hard, right? Which by the way, I'm still drawing telltale characters, or trying to.

Ah. Anyone in particular?

Did he? How? Because he admitted he could have done more? I didn't feel like they ever really resolved the shed thing. He should have been on his knees begging Clem for forgiveness. That whole thing was shameful. Didn't apologize for dropping her, either.

I think that's more of an oversight than anything else. Well that and the actions speak louder than words principle.

You know I had something to say about this (the depression aspect), but I can't remember what now. Fuck. It is a good topic.

Yeah. Unfortunately, that probably got in the way of "badass" stuff and nostalgia, so it got downplayed/forgotten.

eh?

Her making the effort to hang with Sarita is what convinced everyone else to get with the program.

Oh definitely. Honestly, it's obvious that In Harm's Way was supposed to be a Carlos and Sarah focused episode anyway but Kenny being brought back as a member of the group meant he got most of what was meant for Carlos. And it's also likely why Sarah frontloads the first act before practically disappearing until the ending.
    enter image description here

Didn't season 1, too? Season 1 wasn't perfect. You rarely ever had moments where you were doing stuff with others that WASN'T a cutscene. And no, I'm not counting hubs where they just stand there, you know what I mean. Even exploratory stuff.

Eh, it still was a lot more charitable with it's cast. Plus, there wasn't as much emphasis on action and danger because the focus was where it was supposed to be--on the characters.

Huh, too bad for them. I don't watch Transformers anyway, so I can't say I really have a seat to take. Hey, I at least gave them a h

• If there was one problem I had with Above the Law, it was with Clementine.

• Very true. :disappointed:

Ah, you know from experience, then? Do tell.

Ah. Anyone in particular?

Yeah, I tried my luck at drawing profile shots of Lilly and Sarah. Lilly from memory and Sarah from the avatars on the site. Just while I was fiddling at the desktop here. Wanna see them? You can critique me.

I think that's more of an oversight than anything else. Well that and the actions speak louder than words principle.

I suppose, but it's hard not to see Luke's actions towards Clementine as being out of guilt rather than kindness. Are we really supposed to forget how he just let Carlos call the shots like that with barely arguing? How he drops (lol) his nice guy act when he seems afraid that a little girl will suddenly bite him when she's clearly not a zombie yet? (why do they write Luke and Pete like they only just found out about zombies and how they work?) And even though Carver/Bonnie essentially tell us Luke was the leader with a stubborn sense of right and wrong, he still easily relents on letting them lock Clem in the shed? I don't buy it. Seems like inconsistent writing. :expressionless:

Yeah. Unfortunately, that probably got in the way of "badass" stuff and nostalgia, so it got downplayed/forgotten.

Never forget the 'kicking down the door after two tries' in Amid the Ruins. That was literally the writers saying "fuck it. on to the next scene."

Her making the effort to hang with Sarita is what convinced everyone else to get with the program.

if you say so. I don't really see how.

Oh definitely. Honestly, it's obvious that In Harm's Way was supposed to be a Carlos and Sarah focused episode anyway but Kenny being brought back as a member of the group meant he got most of what was meant for Carlos. And it's also likely why Sarah frontloads the first act before practically disappearing until the ending.

Yeah, gotta love those remnants of previous drafts still in the final game. Shame, I really like that promo image too. It's very dynamic.
    I don't know if it was ever confirmed that Carlos was supposed to kill Carver, but it makes the most sense now. They built it up, same with Alvin for some reason. And in the end, they really screwed him over with no conclusion to any of that. I read a fanfiction that gave him that role (As well as the one who gets smashed with the radio) and his death in the herd scene was because the walkers could still smell Carver's human blood all over his pant legs. (Carver's death was even more brutal in that, with Carlos actually stomping his head in.) Not a bad idea, I think.

Eh, it still was a lot more charitable with it's cast. Plus, there wasn't as much emphasis on action and danger because the focus was where it was supposed to be--on the characters.

True. There's still some cheap shortcuts but you do feel like you know most of the characters, even when they die pretty early on.

Hey, I at least gave them a heads up. That's more than some people do. Very true. : Wew. I got shudders just thinking about i

• Does it count as a problem for that episode when the problem is something that wasn't followed up in prior episodes?
    like max living but disappearing, or javier mercilessly killing badger and max and this seemingly having no effect on him?

If there was one problem I had with Above the Law, it was with Clementine.

• Shane>Negan

• Both are equally hot

Clemenem posted: »

Shane>Negan

• TV Shane or comic Shane? Because they’re both totally different villains, IMO.

Clemenem posted: »

Shane>Negan

• I love Jane. I get where she's coming from and think (apart from putting the life of a baby at risk) that on the whole she showed a lot of integrity and was a decent person most of the time. If I lived in that world and was her age, she is exactly the kind of person I would hope to be like. Resourceful, tough, independent. I just would have been smart enough to use a condom.

Flog61 posted: »

Jane has excellent character development.

• TV of course

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

TV Shane or comic Shane? Because they’re both totally different villains, IMO.

• Weird question, I know, but can we generally agree that Ava's characterization, utilization, development, and screentime compared to Tripp's is a example of the saying "Less is More"?

• Eh, a little of both, but you definitely have a point.
    Max disappearing was a problem in the last two episodes, so it doesn't really count here.
    As for killing Badger, that's at least a little justified by what he did throughout the story, so I didn't mind it too much. I just think it could've been an another interesting point to share with Gabe and Kate.

Does it count as a problem for that episode when the problem is something that wasn't followed up in prior episodes? like max living but disappearing, or javier mercilessly killing badger and max and this seemingly having no effect on him?

• Ah, you know from experience, then? Do tell.

I don't immediately recall what I was referring to there, but I'll assume it was a Steven Universe fic.

Yeah, I tried my luck at drawing profile shots of Lilly and Sarah. Lilly from memory and Sarah from the avatars on the site. Just while I was fiddling at the desktop here. Wanna see them? You can critique me.

Ah, sure.

I suppose, but it's hard not to see Luke's actions towards Clementine as being out of guilt rather than kindness. '
    And even though Carver/Bonnie essentially tell us Luke was the leader with a stubborn sense of right and wrong, he still easily relents on letting them lock Clem in the shed? I don't buy it. Seems like inconsistent writing. :expressionless:

Eh, it can be(and/or probably was) both.

Him being THE Leader of the Cabin Group was barely (or not at all) implied in All That Remains, but the setup for his character throughout both parts makes it clear that he was supposed to be an up and coming leader with a floundering sense of idealism and confidence. Ultimately, Luke was summed up as a guy who clearly wanted to protect and do right by his group, but unfortunately tended to run into trouble due to his hidden shortcomings/insecurities(not the word I want to use) and inability to effectively reconcile doing the right thing with doing what's best for survival.

Are we really supposed to forget how he just let Carlos call the shots like that with barely arguing?

Well, Carlos was the doctor of the group. And like he tells Nick after closing the shed's doors, Luke wanted to be sure before they did anything to Clementine.

How he drops (lol) his nice guy act when he seems afraid that a little girl will suddenly bite him when she's clearly not a zombie yet? (why do they write Luke and Pete like they only just found out about zombies and how they work?)

He was supposed to be just panicked by the sudden discovery, which was fueled by what happened to Nick's Mom.

Never forget the 'kicking down the door after two tries' in Amid the Ruins. That was literally the writers saying "fuck it. on to the next scene."

Yeah, that was pretty dumb. Even if the walkers might've loosened it up for her, it still arguably raises more questions.

if you say so. I don't really see how.

The two Princesses bonding over Christmas is what convinces Kenny to relinquish and set aside his gun, which also causes the rest of the Cabin Group to do so as well.

Yeah, gotta love those remnants of previous drafts still in the final game. Shame, I really like that promo image too. It's very dynamic.

I don't know if it was ever confirmed that Carlos was supposed to kill Carver, but it makes the most sense now. They built it up, same with Alvin for some reason. And in the end, they really screwed him over with no conclusion to any of that.

Yeah, seriously.

I read a fanfiction that gave him that role (As well as the one who gets smashed with the radio) and his death in the herd scene was because the walkers could still smell Carver's human blood all over his pant legs. (Carver's death was even more brutal in that, with Carlos actually stomping his head in.) Not a bad idea, I think.

Yeah, that's actually really interesting and clever. Really give poor Sarah an extra dosage of trauma, though.

What was the name of the fanfiction?

True. There's still some cheap shortcuts but you do feel like you know most of the characters, even when they die pretty early on.

We better get an encyclopedia type thing during/after the Final Season to expand on characters who didn't get. that much

Very true. Ah, you know from experience, then? Do tell. Ah. Anyone in particular? Yeah, I tried my luck at drawing p

• edited November 2017

As for killing Badger, that's at least a little justified by what he did throughout the story, so I didn't mind it too much. I just think it could've been an another interesting point to share with Gabe and Kate.

Hey. Don't get me wrong. I think it was totally justified. That's not my complaint, I'm not saying Javi should regret it.
    I'm saying a former baseball player doesn't just smash someone's skull and brains to bits and then not get shook up about it. I mean, what the hell is that? He's not a fucking war veteran.

Ah, sure.

Second thought, I'll touch them up and maybe post them in the fan art thread.

Eh, it can be(and/or probably was) both.

But I'm no professional writer. What do I know? :flushed:

Him being THE Leader of the Cabin Group was barely (or not at all) implied in All That Remains,

I know, it's hilarious. The game is literally telling us two differing things. Or maybe three or four different things, if you buy into the "carlos or pete were the leader" thing.

Ultimately, Luke was summed up as a guy who clearly wanted to protect and do right by his group, but unfortunately tended to run into trouble due to his hidden shortcomings/insecurities(not the word I want to use) and inability to effectively reconcile doing the right thing with doing what's best for survival.

Which is funny, because most everyone but Kenny and Carver seemed to think Luke was perfect and could do no wrong. Nick in particular really sang his praises.

Well, Carlos was the doctor of the group. And like he tells Nick after closing the shed's doors, Luke wanted to be sure before they did anything to Clementine.

Be sure she died of an infection? Yeah.

He was supposed to be just panicked by the sudden discovery, which was fueled by what happened to Nick's Mom.

Which happened really recently, judging by Pete's optional comment? Nick's mom wasn't with them at Carver's camp, was she? Another thing I've been confused about. Still, this long into the zombie apoc, and they haven't figured out how it works yet? Hello, cheap drama.

The two Princesses bonding over Christmas is what convinces Kenny to relinquish and set aside his gun, which also causes the rest of the Cabin Group to do so as well.

Oh, that's what you meant. Yes, I suppose that is true.
    Hm. Sarita being like surrogate mother to Sarah, hmmm. But Sarita died after Sarah already ran away. They could have used her death to further push Sarah over the edge. Tsk. Another idea wasted. Not that it really matters, I guess. It's all the same outcome for poor Sarah.

Yeah, that's actually really interesting and clever. Really give poor Sarah an extra dosage of trauma, though.

What was the name of the fanfiction?
    You probably know the one. "Young and Young at Heart"
    I think Carver had choked Sarah into unconscious by the time Carlos took his sweet time killing him, so that didn't traumatize her. Seriously that scene was brutal. First you had Carlos cripple Carver with the gun ala Kenny, then Carlos shot up the rest of his legs, including his ahem groin
    Then Carver used "surgical precision" or something to snap Carver's arms, leaving completely utterly defenseless before stomping his skull in.
    So... yeah, he was very "not nice." as Luke said.

As for how Sarah took Carlos' death, she and Clem got trapped on a windowsill or something, and Sarah considered killing herself or throwing herself to the walkers and Clem actually managed to talk her down.
    Now that I think about it, it's sorta reminiscent of the Jane and Jaime situation, I think the author borrowed a lot of things from the game in broad strokes.

We better get an encyclopedia type thing during/after the Final Season to expand on characters who didn't get. that much

Oh? Like how?

Ah, you know from experience, then? Do tell. I don't immediately recall what I was referring to there, but I'll assume it was a Stev

• I couldn't care less about the final season(Might watch it on youtube). I'm playing Batman.

• Eh, agreed.

Dan10 posted: »

I couldn't care less about the final season(Might watch it on youtube). I'm playing Batman.

• Not really revelent as of the last two months, but I used to practically hate Grim Ranger.

Still have no idea who it's supposed to be about, though.

• My Clem doesn't necessarily hold a grudge on any of the older characters.

• Luke's a disgrace of a human being

• Eh, mostly in character, yes.

My Clem doesn't necessarily hold a grudge on any of the older characters.

• Not an opinion so much as a widely ignored fact: Kenny is a shit fighter.

• Far from an unpopular opinion, I'm sure, but I think it's worth saying: Clementine determinately calling Kenny "a monster" is more than rather much.

• Um, only to Lee. He did manage to fight Mike and Jane.

Not an opinion so much as a widely ignored fact: Kenny is a shit fighter.

• edited January 2018

No, he lost all but one of the fights he got into(and often started), whether it be Larry, Lee, Molly, and/or the Cancer Group.

Not counting situations like the St. Johns, the Save Lots Bandits, Carver, or even Arvo due to extenuating circumstances and/or lack of actual combat.

And in Season 2, he only truly fought Jane and "won" by virtue of Jane's knife.(I've had issues with how that fight played out in general, but that's another matter) The only reason he managed to get Mike pinned was because he suddenly flipped out when Mike tried to help him with their work and Mike was clearly trying(and gradually failing) to keep his cool.

AronDracula posted: »

Um, only to Lee. He did manage to fight Mike and Jane.

• na that's just common sense

I don't support Cluke or Clavier.

• i like season 2 more then season 1

• I don't hate Arvo.

• Me neither. In fact, I've grown to really like him, despite how wasted he was as a character.

Fangirl101 posted: »

I don't hate Arvo.

• Glenn was a far better character in his one episode than That-Paul-guy was in three.

• r/FuckArvo would like to have a word with you.

Me neither. In fact, I've grown to really like him, despite how wasted he was as a character.

• edited January 2018

...What?
    EDIT:I just realized I misunderstood what you were replying to.
    Fuck r/Fuck Arvo! Whatever that is.

r/FuckArvo would like to have a word with you.

• You heard me, Rick Rubin.

...What? EDIT:I just realized I misunderstood what you were replying to. Fuck r/Fuck Arvo! Whatever that is.

• I think I mentioned this before, but I'll say it again: I preferred Gabe and Clementine's dynamic in Part 2 to their interaction in (most of ) Thicker than Water and especially From the Gallows.

• I don't think it's unpopular.

Glenn was a far better character in his one episode than That-Paul-guy was in three.

• edited February 2018

No, it probably isn't, but there seems to be a lot more positivity and hype about the latter regardless.

Granted, it's actually generally preferable to have people being positive about something over constant complaining and nitpicking, but you get the point.

AronDracula posted: »

I don't think it's unpopular.

• edited April 2018

I enjoyed season 2 even more than I enjoyed season 1. Season 1 was absolutely amazing but more than anything it perfectly set the stage for season 2. The transition from father figure to child was so beautiful and well written. I really liked how season 2 went a different route from most games and had a child as the lead. The reason I love these games so much is because it focused on a child's perspective in the walking dead universe and was an interesting change of pace from the main walking dead story. The Last of Us always seems to be revered as the first game to have a lead child who was smart and independent, but Telltale's Walking Dead in all honesty beat them to it. I found it very tragic but very well written how Clementine went from a sweet innocent little girl to a hardened survivor. I loved how the combat scenes took into account that Clem was a little girl as opposed to a grown man and had to survive fights by using her surroundings to her advantage and playing dirty by biting fingers and what not. I thought season two had well written and developed characters. Carver was a great antagonist with a lot of buildup he was crazy but he didn't have purely evil intentions, he wanted to rebuild society and the human race at any cost. Clem and Carver had an interesting dynamic where he recognized that Clem is meant to lead not follow and is capable of making the hard decisions and if the human race is to survive the next generation has to be like Clementine. I liked that after Carver was killed off it focused more on how even the people you trust can be a danger to your survival. The way it was hinted at that Sara had minor mental problems and the way she had PTSD after the death of her father fit perfectly and realistically in The Walking Dead Universe.

I also really liked how season two explored the different ways people evolve to survive in the apocalypse.

• There are people like Jane and Clementine where their losses are hard but they are ultimately tempered and made stronger from them.
    • There are people like Luke who refuse to let the horrors change who they are and continue to be the best person they can.
    • People like Kenny who were strongest when he had everybody to protect and all of the losses he endured only weighed down on him causing him do become emotionally unstable.

The way season 2 had multiple branched out endings was awesome too. I loved this especially because season 1 only had one singular ending. They blew those season 2 endings in ANF but that is a problem with ANF not season 2.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.