The Battle of Bastards Thread (Revised, Lots of Inside/extras)

Comments

• edited June 2016

It won't happen, i wish it did, but it won't. I have barely been watching the show this season, but i assume Baelish will save the Starks.

Nightmare1 posted: »

I hope the Boltons win mates, i really dont like any of the Starks.

• edited June 2016

Littlefinger doesn't have a claim to the North or Winterfell so it's not going to happen. Or it would be a terrible and unuseful move.

As for the title of warden of the North, it's up to the King to give it.

EDIT: corrected my own mistake.

N8eule posted: »

To be honest Iam more afraid that he betrays them. I imagine him only entering the battlefield when both forces are weakend, just to "crown" himself warden of the north. Chaos is a ladder...

• Ahh my least favorite story this season lol. I've also heard terrible rumors of the sandsnakes returning.

jamex1223 posted: »

from what ive seen we will get a Meeren seen...

• As for the title of warden of the North, it's up to the King to give it.

True, but the North is at the moment (no matter who wins the BoB) de facto independent. Because both Starks and Boltons are traitors to the crown and it seems like the crown really isn't in a state to "fix" the situation. Or rather, Cersei gave LF the task to overthrow Boltons, but we know he isn't loyal to the crown either.

So, in other words, Tommen's power doesn't quite reach to the North at the moment.

Euron posted: »

Littlefinger doesn't have a claim to the North or Winterfell so it's not going to happen. Or it would be a terrible and unuseful move. As for the title of warden of the North, it's up to the King to give it. EDIT: corrected my own mistake.

• The title of warden of the North is applying only in the Realm. As for the Bolton traitor, I totally forgot that concerning the series. But from what I remember they don't know they're considered as traitors, no?

As for the title of warden of the North, it's up to the King to give it. True, but the North is at the moment (no matter who wins th

• The title of warden of the North is applying only in the Realm.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning that, but in the end it's just one title or the other. I guess they will go for Sansa as Queen in the North, rather than "wardeness" (like LF said in s5).

But from what I remember they don't know they're considered as traitors, no?

Well, Roose was talking about how they should have the support of the whole North because of the threat of Lannisters. "Reckoning is coming" or something like that :D So I think they are aware of the situation. Though Ramsay was far less concerned about it than Roose,

The title of warden of the North is applying only in the Realm. As for the Bolton traitor, I totally forgot that concerning the series. But from what I remember they don't know they're considered as traitors, no?

• Sad to say, we will lose Ghost in the battle.. that or he'll be locked up in a secured kennel for his own protection.

Please tell me this is just speculation. I really don't want to lose another Direwolf

• You aren't calling shit. That is a spoiler.

• Tbh, bringing Ghost to a battle like this would be quite reckless from Jon, almost like asking for him to die. There are just way too much spears an arrows. I think Ghost is not in the battle - he has been absent in all of the promo material.

IR0NR4TH posted: »

Sad to say, we will lose Ghost in the battle.. that or he'll be locked up in a secured kennel for his own protection.

• One more day, guys :D

• edited June 2016

All I can say is there are a lot of problems with the battle I've seen so far.

Biggest amongst them is in a picture above. JON, WHY ARE YOU FIGHTING CAVALRY ALONE AND ON FOOT!?

But if you're still reading:

1. Why is Ramsey's men using pavises in combat? Now, I could be wrong and they're using tower shields, but a pavise is made so you cannot see the man behind it. A tower shield is only large enough to cover a man but leave his head and feet (but not ankles) exposed.

2. Ramsey's archers are using bodkins against unarmored soldiers. What should be used are barbed so that it'd tear the flesh inside and they cannot be pulled out.

3. Again, Jon on foot versus cavalry. You're going to die.

4. We all see how big the field of battle is, so Jon: why are you letting your infantry charge over three hundred yards into archer fire without shields?

5. Another grievance that the show constantly likes doing: chainmail/plate. Where is it? Why do your men fight in literally the clothes on their backs and a bascinet? Only in tournaments have I seen anyone wearing actual plate. The Lannisters are the exception to this, but seriously. Wear a breastplate for Christ's sakes.

• nah... you're wrong, i highly doubt he recognize her, if he did... he would've taken her or something, he would not missed that chance and about rickon stark..... you are wrong there too, at the end all he did was help sansa scape kings landing. You are giving him too much credit.

ShaneGrimes posted: »

Well him protecting and shaping Sansa, though he definitely has his agenda she would almost certainly be dead if it weren't for him. Also

• edited June 2016

This is entertainment, not a document of medieval warfare for fuck's sake -.- If you are expecting that, just skip it.

And I very much doubt Jon is in that situation (facing the cavalry on foot) willingly, something has clearly happened that has led to that situation.

Barthanax posted: »

All I can say is there are a lot of problems with the battle I've seen so far. Biggest amongst them is in a picture above. JON, WHY ARE Y

• Yeah that's what I said previously.

I will continue to give LF the benefit of doubt until he goes full Ramsey Snow. The show wants me to not trust him and trust Varys, so I'm a rebel and I do the opposite.

Alex_L_P posted: »

nah... you're wrong, i highly doubt he recognize her, if he did... he would've taken her or something, he would not missed that chance and a

• Well if you're asking all these questions, also ask why they fight outside Winterfell.

All I can say is there are a lot of problems with the battle I've seen so far. Biggest amongst them is in a picture above. JON, WHY ARE Y

• i think because they dont want to be tricked , like lord umber said , Jon might know some secret passage since he grew up in the castle .

Well if you're asking all these questions, also ask why they fight outside Winterfell.

• Some of your points are wrong and some others may not be what it looks. And if you wonder why the wildlings fight in their clothes? the answer is more than obvious! they dont have the materials to make armors and the money to buy them, they are poor! they dont have anything! the lannisters are the exception because they are rich and they can afford it, they have the riches to buy good equipment to all their soldiers, so as the tyrells. Besides... when have you seen northern soldiers with armors? wait until the episode airs and then post your opinion.

• He's alone beside his horse in all promo images. So either he's been flanked or he purposely dismounted to face cav on foot.

This is entertainment, not a document of medieval warfare for fuck's sake

Secondly, no need to swear. There is a fine line between the two, yes, but like I said: Wear a breastplate at least. Wildlings I can understand them not having armor, but if you're an army at least supply them with more than a leather armor, bascinets and cuir bouilli.

This is entertainment, not a document of medieval warfare for fuck's sake -.- If you are expecting that, just skip it. And I very much do

• edited June 2016

I can answer that.

A siege takes months. That's food, supplies, equipment and time that Jon would need. Littlefinger's army can come in that time and Ramsey would be facing almost triple the original numbers. Winterfell was already damaged once as well, meaning weak points are easy targets for trebuchets and catapults to hit and, with the repairs we've seen, all it would take is sending over some firepots and Winterfell falls to flame. Ramsey is also brash and impulsive. He'd be too hot-blooded and angry just to sit idle. And as alikir34 said, Jon knows the castle. He can find the sally port and waltz right in, bringing the fight to Ramsey within minutes without so many casualties.

On open field however, while they don't have the defensive capabilities of a castle, they can move and flank. They have the hill which gives them the advantage for the charge against Jon's army and the range of Ramsey's bows is much greater. And, with my reasons above, Ramsey decided on the better course of fighting. Jon's army has no chance on an open field. He simply does not have anything for him. The Wildlings are unpredictable, but they also don't fight large scale battles. We saw them flee at the Wall despite their numbers (though they did a good number on Castle Black). Wun Wun is a HUGE target for archers. He will die within the first few minutes if Ramsey's men aren't already overpowering Jon's men. And with it taking a month for a carriage to arrive from Kings Landing (Season 1, Episode 1) the Vale would take at least two or three weeks. Littlefinger would be too late to help.

Well if you're asking all these questions, also ask why they fight outside Winterfell.

• I'm sure we're all fairly certain how this battle will go, but I hope they don't make Sansa out to be a hero for deus ex Vale to save the day. Yes, her raven will bring them in after the casualties have been tallied. However, if she'd been forthcoming with Jon at the beginning and sent word to Little Finger sooner... how many more lives would've been spared? The sad truth of it is as much as they've tried to make Sansa a real player in the game.. everytime she's played, she's chosen poorly.

Just as Ice was melted down into two blades, I'm really only hoping for two Starks to be left standing at the end of it all.

• I'm no fan of the Lady Stoneheart/UnCat plotline and am glad the show has done it however I just read an article that got me thinking. It predicted that Ramsay would lose Winterfell and flee with a small Bolton force then running into Stoneheart and The Brotherhood who hang them. While it wouldn't be what I want it would still be an.interesting way to introduce her even if it's very late. Any thoughts?

• Well, sand snakes are bastards. Maybe they're written better now. (Hopefully)

Ahh my least favorite story this season lol. I've also heard terrible rumors of the sandsnakes returning.

• They have not shown Stoneheart yet. At this point, I personally would not feel it. Though if the Frey/Lannister dinner shown in the season trailers is meant as a revenge scene for the Red Wedding, maybe outside Brienne, I don't know who would lead the revenge. And Brienne does not seem so smart.

Clemenem posted: »

I'm no fan of the Lady Stoneheart/UnCat plotline and am glad the show has done it however I just read an article that got me thinking. It pr

• If this episode turns out to be a letdown, I'll probably just kill myself.

• I dont see how it could be, however it turns out, because if anyone is unsatisfied with a bigass battle, theres no hope.

Brodester08 posted: »

If this episode turns out to be a letdown, I'll probably just kill myself.

• I'm sure it'll be great, but I'm keeping my noose handy just in case.

KCohere posted: »

I dont see how it could be, however it turns out, because if anyone is unsatisfied with a bigass battle, theres no hope.

• The way you told that sounds really cliche though. I don't think it will be that simple at all, I mean I am expecting Jon Snow to come through with the win, his resurrection otherwise would've made no sense, but I'm not expecting a half cliche win for them, something will happen seeing as it is Game of Thrones. Or maybe Snow will fucking die, but he will get resurrected again, it's just wont be that simple. Rickon could die, that I can see.

IR0NR4TH posted: »

It's going to have the deaths of; * Rickon Stark - (impaled by arrow of Ramsay) - Ramsay allows Rickon to go to Jon but as he reaches J

• i think you should really lower your expectations. that really goes out for everyone. i mean i had no fucking idea about Hardhome and that episode completely shocked me and this time we know whats to come. kind off... can they completely shock us? i mean they submitted this episode to the emmy's for a reason. not just because of the directing and all that other stuff all that budget went in to, but for writing, so i hope they can so something for us not just a badass looking battle but a lil something else.

Brodester08 posted: »

If this episode turns out to be a letdown, I'll probably just kill myself.

• Finis what you're eating before the episode because I expect we will get a flayed rickon or at the very least he will be killed

• edited June 2016

Some of your points are wrong

Which ones?

And if you wonder why the wildlings fight in their clothes? the answer is more than obvious! they dont have the materials to make armors and the money to buy them, they are poor

They have the materials (Bone Priest, iron tools.) and I already made the point that I understand the Wildlings are not like Westerosies. Even with their metal materials, I can agree that North of the Wall would be -60 to -100 on a good day, so forging plate would be pure fantasy. However, I am making the argument that the North could at least wear more than just leather in the show. We see them with bascinets, but why is it impossible to imagine that they would wear chainmail over/under their leather?

Some of your points are wrong and some others may not be what it looks. And if you wonder why the wildlings fight in their clothes? the answ

• "They have the materials (Bone Priest, iron tools.)

No i disagre with you on that.

The northerns are not known for being as rich like the lannisters or the tyrells or the knights of the vale, not all of them use metal armors, maybe because they dont need or they are not used to it, but they are still good warriors without it.

Some of your points are wrong Which ones? And if you wonder why the wildlings fight in their clothes? the answer is more than

• No i disagre with you on that.

The Wildlings have a Bone Priest and iron tipped spears/arrows though. How can you disagree with stuff they are seen with in the show?

"They have the materials (Bone Priest, iron tools.) No i disagre with you on that. The northerns are not known for being as rich like

• Not that, the other..... they dont have so much to make armors to ALL their soldiers!!

No i disagre with you on that. The Wildlings have a Bone Priest and iron tipped spears/arrows though. How can you disagree with stuff they are seen with in the show?

• edited June 2016

Littlefinger has the strongest army if he marches north, so thats enough claim for me. I know what you mean, but I cant trust in things as claims and laws in this world anymore. I wouldnt be surprised if Cersei/Tommen will give him that title. I havent watched the new episode yet, but I hope you are right ;)

Littlefinger doesn't have a claim to the North or Winterfell so it's not going to happen. Or it would be a terrible and unuseful move. As for the title of warden of the North, it's up to the King to give it. EDIT: corrected my own mistake.

• edited June 2016

Nvm.

• so thats enough claim for me.

Yes, that's the point. For you. Not for the Northerners who will be under him. Asoiaf is a world where one cares strongly about rights, and got is kinda the same. Now I didn't see it too yet. :P

N8eule posted: »

Littlefinger has the strongest army if he marches north, so thats enough claim for me. I know what you mean, but I cant trust in things as c

• Did the Meereen scene disappoint you? It was amazing.... :)

Ahh my least favorite story this season lol. I've also heard terrible rumors of the sandsnakes returning.

• The Free Folk do not mine nor smelt and there are few smiths and fewer forgers north of the wall; the only metal armor that they wear are bits and pieces that they've taken from dead rangers. Most will wear boiled leather or sewn sheepskins and use crude rounds of skin stretched over wicker, painting them with figures such as skulls and bones, serpents, bear claws, twisted demonic faces, and severed heads. I don't believe the arrows are Iron tipped though, you should look into that more.

The Thenns are the most well armed and armored with bronze helms, axes, short stabbing spears with leaf shaped heads, shirts sewn with bronze discs, and plain unadorned shields of black boiled leather with bronze rims and bosses.

They have not made any considerable technological advances.

(taken from westeros.org "Free folk" page. )

No i disagre with you on that. The Wildlings have a Bone Priest and iron tipped spears/arrows though. How can you disagree with stuff they are seen with in the show?

• Yeah you are far better with your knowledge about this, next time I will trust you for sure. I always think I know how this all works and then something happens which proves me wrong. But maybe thats why this series/books are so successful, you never really know how things turn out.

so thats enough claim for me. Yes, that's the point. For you. Not for the Northerners who will be under him. Asoiaf is a world where one cares strongly about rights, and got is kinda the same. Now I didn't see it too yet. :P

Sign in to comment in this discussion.