What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    dthoupis wrote: »
    Davies I was not refering to you. I was making a general comment

D'oh, sorry. It was just because your post came after mine I guess.
  • edited June 2010
    The secret is either 42 or that monkey island is an adventure game, which if you think about it, there is many things in the game pointing towards the game being an adventure game, like at the end of SOMI when guybrush says "never buy a game that cost $49.99" or something like that, so maybe the secret of monkey island is that it's an adventure game.
  • edited June 2010
    What is this 42 issue?
  • edited June 2010
    What is this 42 issue?

Its from hitchhikers guid to the galaxy A cult Book/Tv show they also had a movie.
  • edited June 2010
    Another point of plondering minds. During the tree dance song when LeChuck appears, the dream bone parents are scared of him and leave. Has LeChuck doomed them and they are scared of him? Also LeChuck during that sequence mentions he will destroy the spiritual essense of Guybrush and is shown changing to MI1 Guybrush and throwing root beer on MI2 Guybrush. Perhaps that is all a dream but who knows? Maybe Guybrush from that time onwards was under LeChucks spell or something. Also one more issue, where did LeChuck got ingredients for the Voodoo doll which he haunts Guybrush in the underground tunels?
  • edited June 2010
    Another point of plondering minds. During the tree dance song when LeChuck appears, the dream bone parents are scared of him and leave. Has LeChuck doomed them and they are scared of him? Also LeChuck during that sequence mentions he will destroy the spiritual essense of Guybrush and is shown changing to MI1 Guybrush and throwing root beer on MI2 Guybrush. Perhaps that is all a dream but who knows? Maybe Guybrush from that time onwards was under LeChucks spell or something. Also one more issue, where did LeChuck got ingredients for the Voodoo doll which he haunts Guybrush in the underground tunels?

well the spit could been from the plaq he sold with his spit on it. The thread the pink dress. The head could have been from one of the times his hair jumped and bits fell out. The dead is his parents. Just random guesse lol
  • edited July 2010
    Anyone ever connect the tunnels at the end of the game acting like portals, Like the mi1 flashback. To the real life tunnels for staff covert staff movement at Disney World. Aparrently there is a whole network of tunnels around that place that the staff call the first floor, The rest of the park was built over them.
    considering the game was influenced by the pirates of the carribean ride and the
    much hated theme park ending. are these tunnels based on the disney ones?
  • edited July 2010
    dogtopia wrote: »
    Anyone ever connect the tunnels at the end of the game acting like portals, Like the mi1 flashback. To the real life tunnels for staff covert staff movement at Disney World. Aparrently there is a whole network of tunnels around that place that the staff call the first floor, The rest of the park was built over them.
    considering the game was influenced by the pirates of the carribean ride and the
    much hated theme park ending. are these tunnels based on the disney ones?

This is well known and has been covered in detail on this very forum and the rest of the Internet, but it is interesting, isn't it? ;)
  • edited July 2010
    certainly is. I was convinced that this was a new angle. should have read up on the forums :)
  • edited July 2010
    I see the humor in the first two Monkey Island games to be very Monty Python-esque (what with all the absurdity, self-referential jokes, frequent breaking of the fourth wall, anachronism, etc) --- and in that sense, I see the ending to MI2 as the same kind of joke as the ending to Monty Python & The Holy Grail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAyqzEOLix4

That was one of the most abrupt and absurd (and most memorable) endings ever to a movie. It's set up to be an 'epic' assault on the tower, and just when they're about the get to the grail, the police comes in and arrests everyone out of nowhere (!?!?!!)

Like someone said before - they did it for the lulz.
  • edited July 2010
    I love the commentaries.
    Not sure why they cut out the intro. Unless i missed it
    aw crap, wrong thread. there's a few similar looking threads :P
  • edited July 2010
    Can people tell me how these 3 things can be true at the same time:
    1) guybrush was adopted
    2) guybrush and LeChuck are brothers
    3) the bone from guybrush' legal parents works in the voodoo doll on LeChuck
  • edited July 2010
    This is going to sound stupid.

But I think I finally got MI2 and it is really just "He was a kid in a theme park." I knew the theory before but I didn't notice (conceptually) how much Big Whoop Amusement Park looked just like Booty Island.

Or that was the intended ending anyway, what we were supposed to get out of it. Tunnels, Walt the Dog, etc. Might be some third game planned (might just be a lie, kind of harsh to say but still) that had little to do with anything in MI1 or MI2.

Gilbert's story feels complete to me, or at least complete enough I don't care about MI3a unless it actually happens. (It almost certainly won't.) Unless something new happens it is what it is. The next three games are almost like a different series, strongly inspired by the first two but trending along a different path. Which, I suppose, is fine - and after five games and two remakes I am quite content. If nothing MI related happens again, I will not complain. Hell, I'm not even expecting more MI.
  • edited July 2010
    Things didn't start getting weird in the game until Guybrush fell down the hole at the end. I think the whole point of the last sequence is that Big Whoop has trapped Guybrush and LeChuck in another world, the very world Guybrush was trying to escape LeChuck too. In this world Guybrush and LeChuck are brothers at an amusement park and they are changed to fit into this world. They both still retain some of their identity at the end if you look at some of Guybrush's dialogue options and LeChuck turns to the camera with his eyes flashing.

The whole theory that Guybrush is a boy all along because of the appearance of Elaine at the end. The reason why there was never a immediate sequel to this game was because Ron left and the game didn't sell very well.

Charlie
  • edited July 2010
    The game getting weird starts when you go underneath the waterfall and find metallic tunnels there, I'd say.
  • edited July 2010
    Didn't Ron and company said in the commentaries something about all people at the end being hypnotized robots or something like that? This commentary appears in the Phatt Island Library.
  • edited July 2010
    I loved the ending to MI2 when I first saw it back in 1992 and I still love it today. The fact that it is so mysterious and leaves so much to the player's imagination is exactly what I love about it. While I do love CMI, I was never particularly happy with how they tried to explain the ending of MI2.
  • edited July 2010
    He also said something like "...and the kid sees dead people..." I think it was just a joke as he sounded like he was giving away a bunch of endings from older movies.
  • edited July 2010
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Walt the Dog, etc.
    Actually, according to the commentary, Walt is named after
    someone on the team's dog who was mean and bit people. And then Ron says "Let's just pretend it's named after Walt Disney, sweeter story."
    Biggest coincidence ever?
  • edited July 2010
    It was
    Steve Purcell's dog
    , actually.
  • edited July 2010
    The ending of MI2, in the grand tradition of Monkey Island and Lucasarts adventures, is one last puzzle for the creators to know and the players to find out. A cosmic and poetic joke, I would say.
  • edited July 2010
    Dunno if this has already been pointed out, but I suspect everything changes during Guybrush's "dream". Why? Because we all know it wasn't a dream: his parents give him concrete hints that he writes down while unconscious and that are still there after the awakening. During this "extracorporeal" experience, LeChuck says he's destroying Guybrush's spiritual essence, zapping him with root beer. Being that a real experience out of his body, probably it's Guybrush's spirit (or soul, or whatever you wanna call it) that got hit by root beer... and this could have disastrous effects. Thoughts?
  • edited July 2010
    Overall, I'd have to agree with a combination of the canon idea and the op's posting. However, I feel there's more to the story. Some other things that may have happened in the plot that may be subtly hinted at seem to indicate certain things. I think that when he got older, Chuckie became a pirate. Guybrush's parents were pirates/pirate hunters/privateers in their own right and that they left Guybrush to stop LeChuck (Chuckie.) However, LeChuck later killed his and Guybrush's parents, which explains why their skeletons are in the subterranean depths as LeChuck had hid them there after he himself had found Big Whoop. It also explains why Guybrush's parents knew the secrets of LeChuck's fortress in the "dream." Moreover, Guybrush must've been very young when these events happened, roughly seven, while Chuckie may have been a teenager or in his early '20s. Because he was so young, Guybrush didn't understand why his parents left, so he assumed that they abandoned him.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm pretty certain now that Guybrush was somehow cursed by LeChuck... the red in Chuckie's eyes and Elaine at the end make me think that.
  • edited July 2010
    Before I read all of the forums and conspiracy theory sites about the game, I always thought that Monkey Island was loosely based on Star Wars, and that the third game would have had Guybrush finding the "Secret" (how to be a true voodoo-powered pirate) and using it to defeat Lechuck who, as it would turn out, found the secret a long time ago and was corrupted by its power. I figured that the ending was a flash back sequence from right before Lechuck found the secret and the next game would pick up with him turning evil in front of his mentor Herman Toothrot.
  • edited July 2010
    How did Elaine know that LeChuck was down there anyway? :confused: She only saw Guybrush fall down.
  • edited July 2010
    Mijkojan wrote: »
    How did Elaine know that LeChuck was down there anyway? :confused: She only saw Guybrush fall down.

She didnt have to know LeChuck was down there, she just says she hopes LeChuck hasnt put him under a curse, that doesnt mean she thought he was down there, it just means that she though it was a possibility that LeChuck had something to do with Guybrush not returning as he hadnt come back up to her yet.
  • edited July 2010
    Or perhaps Elaine could hear their voices. I'm sure those tunnels would be pretty echoey, it's a rather large possibility.
  • edited July 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Or perhaps Elaine could hear their voices. I'm sure those tunnels would be pretty echoey, it's a rather large possibility.

Yea, I guess it would be pretty easy to hear Guybrush and LeChuck screaming down there.
  • edited July 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Yea, I guess it would be pretty easy to hear Guybrush and LeChuck screaming down there.

why didnt she try and help him T_T
  • edited July 2010

Because, apparently, she thought that if anything, it's Guybrush who has to help her to redeem himself :p
  • edited July 2010
    Farlander wrote: »
    Because, apparently, she thought that if anything, it's Guybrush who has to help her to redeem himself :p

Or perhaps she didn't feel like jumping to her death to try and help him.
  • edited July 2010
    Or perhaps she didn't feel like jumping to her death to try and help him.

Let's not forget that, unlike Guybrush, she had a perfectly good rope. Elaine's resourceful enough, if she wanted to help Guybrush, she would've done that.

Which, makes me thinking. So, Guybrush tells Elaine the whole story, right? They're both hanging over this pit... Then Guybrush falls down, Elaine sees that, so what does she do? Yes, she climbs up, obviously... Waits a little, hopes that Guybrush didn't get cursed by LeChuck,whom she might or might not have heard and... leaves... apparently. Thinking that Guybrush is dead, killed by LeChuck (if we put CoMI and this) NEVER, not in MI2 or CoMI, thinking that he could've fallen to his death, really. Broke some bones. Legs. Ribs. Stuff like that. Unable to get up. In horrible pain... I mean, Guybrush yelled so hard she must've heard it... Well, yes, he didn't yell because of broken bones, but, nonetheless...

You know what, Elaine in MI2 is a bitch. Not only she's a bitch, she doesn't resemble a bit the "motherly figure" Ron visioned her. Not a hint of that.
  • edited July 2010
    ^ that's why I much preferred there relationship in SMI CMI EMI & TMI and dont like how there potrayed in LR
  • edited July 2010
    You know what, Elaine in MI2 is a bitch. Not only she's a bitch, she doesn't resemble a bit the "motherly figure" Ron visioned her. Not a hint of that.

Was the "motherly figure" really part of Ron's interpretation for Elaine?
  • edited July 2010
    Was the "motherly figure" really part of Ron's interpretation for Elaine?

Well, he said that it was his interpretation if he were to make MI3, and that he thinks that Elaine and Guybrush wouldn't have married.

But so far I don't see how she is at least a bit or could've become one. If we take only MI2 (and maybe MI1) into consideration, that is.
  • edited July 2010
    But so far I don't see how she is at least a bit or could've become one. If we take only MI2 (and maybe MI1) into consideration, that is.

The "mother aspect" is new to me. I'm sure the kick ass pirate bride image she's gotten wasn't Ron's idea though. I think she should have stayed the "unapproachable" politician she used to be. Just with more screen time.
  • edited July 2010
    Ron's vision for Elaine was that she thought of Guybrush as a little brother. Which fits quite well with the Star Wars storyline they were going for (you know, not so subtle hints of incest).
  • edited July 2010
    Ron's vision for Elaine was that she thought of Guybrush as a little brother.

A motherly figure that thought of Guybrush as a little brother :p I distinctly remember reading Ron somewhere say the "motherly figure" part.
  • edited July 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    There are people who say that Ron Gilbert says that CMI got off track with the Guybrush+Elaine relationship, while I believe that it's Revenge's depiction of their relationship that doesn't fit, rather than CMI.

I do understand and can agree with the idea that, in Revenge, Elaine may have been hurt by Guybrush's insensitivity, but that still doesn't sufficiently explain [...]why Ron would say that she sees Guybrush more as a little brother when she might as well have said she loved him and wanted to have sex with him in the first game when she came to rescue him after being thrown off the dock. This doesn't sound little-brother-ish to me.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.