SEASON FINALE DISCUSSION [SPOILERS ALLOWED] [SEASON REVIEW]

Comments

• edited December 2016

Still feel let down they didn't give us a chance to tell Harvey or Oswald our identity, but I get it: They wanted to save that kind of moment for Lady Arkham, where it could be more climactic.

Bruce revealing himself to Vicki is pretty much head-canon for me. It makes their last fight feel TWICE as epic with both characters unmasked. Alfred's tearful reaction when Bruce removes his cowl is also very stirring.

• We can only hope! Send him like literally anywhere else and then visit regularly!

I know exactly how not fine Arkham is and now Bruce's bestie is probably living there. Eh, I don't think Harvey is in Arkham. "You're gonna have the best doctors, Harvey" I highly doubt the best doctors would be found in Arkham Asylum.

• Revealing his identity to Harvey or Oswald would also mark them for death as well.

Still feel let down they didn't give us a chance to tell Harvey or Oswald our identity, but I get it: They wanted to save that kind of momen

• Who kissed Selina in the finale? Just curious, since I know it's possible.

• So you have to allow Harvey to continue his rampage in order to actually get the options to appeal to his good side? That kind of sucks

Well, if you choose to go after Penguin instead of Harvey at the end of episode 4, you'll get to confront him as Bruce and try to help his g

• edited December 2016

I honestly feel like telltale writers and perhaps the whole company is losing scope. The context of the wayne and cobblepot family allowed for the 'distraction' to be so much more heartfelt, regardless of the fact they made him a cop killing cartoon villain. There could have been a conversation people remembered, instead it was reduced to something forgetable, like a lot of telltale content lately. I dont say that lightly. Ive been with telltale for a long time, and accepted a lot of things for a long time. But what I find hard to accept anymore is their absolute disregard for pc users, and their disregard for the story itself and quality of that story. They say that game testers prefer a shorter episode, and yet myself and apparently everyone that reviews games prefers longer episodes, as seen by reviews for their own games, as well as other longer games like Life is Strange. They say people dont like hubs, and again I prove otherwise using actual numbers and scores. I've always look forward to a telltale game, because I know I can choose that date an episode is released and relax from my life and play it. I can no longer do that either. The last two release dates were off. This company once was dear to my heart, and I'd defend you against people, but now it seems like as time goes on you care less and less about the people that actually buy your games. You don't inform your customers when your release date is wrong, you don't tell your customers anything, even when they buyt your 'seasons' as a whole in good faith. You're wrong in how you treat your customers. That's my post.

• Wow that was just fantastic! I have to give Telltale serious props for wrapping up everything so smoothly in just under 90 minutes, which can I just say...This episode was under 90 minutes? I was actually shocked to see that. THAT is how you pace a finale, and episode in general, not to mention all the branching paths you can take, and the first 20 minutes or so being entirely different, its just soooo cool. The final fight sequence with Vicki was one of the best action sequences I have ever played. Just everything about it. The entire time I was thinking "The telltale engine can do this?! HOLY FUCK (it can't make an entire crowd of people, but damn). Can we just give the people behind the choreography and animations for this episode and series in general a round of applause, because they sure as hell deserve it! Also, Selina's character! I am SO glad they had the balls to make her with her own weaknesses and vulnerabilities. I'm glad she's not just up in Bruce's dick, and wants to help him because that's what heroine does! That would have been fine...I guess, but also pretty lame. She cares for her own selfish endeavours and that's just great! Batman's finale was AMAZING and I am so looking forward to a second season.

Episode 1 - Realm of Shadows - 9/10
    Episode 2 - Children of Arkham - 9.5/10
    Episode 3 - New World Order - 9/10
    Episode 4 - Guardian of Gotham - 8.5/10
    Episode 5 - City of Light - 9.5/10

Overall - 9.1/10 (SEASON 2 WHEN???)

• those are some high ratings my friend. Whats your opinion on other telltale series'?

Wow that was just fantastic! I have to give Telltale serious props for wrapping up everything so smoothly in just under 90 minutes, which ca

• Now I feel like a fanboy (I'm pretty much am...)

Well the lowest rating I've given a telltale episode is like a 5/10, and I've played pretty much all of them...So, yeah I love their content.

Here's a quick rundown

The Walking Dead Season 1 - 9/10
    Season 2 - 9.2/10
    The Wolf Among Us - 9.3/10
    Tales from the Borderlands - 9.5/10
    Minecraft Story Mode - 8.5/10
    Game of Thrones - 9/10

those are some high ratings my friend. Whats your opinion on other telltale series'?

• If I had to rate each episode, it'd probably go something like this:

"Realm of Shadows" 8/10
    "Children of Arkham" 8/10
    "New World Order" 9/10
    "Guardian of Gotham" 7/10
    "City of Light" 8/10

Overall, the Season gets a solid 8/10 from me. Looking forward to Season 2 (got a good feeling about this getting a continuation).

• Oh man you had me at having tales from the borderlands being #1. I couldnt agree more, and great list altogether

Now I feel like a fanboy (I'm pretty much am...) Well the lowest rating I've given a telltale episode is like a 5/10, and I've played pre

• THIS ^^^^

You know...I would be upset...but that is so Selina...very much the mercenary. I woulda been more upset if she could have been tamed so easily.

• Random post but I see some of your points.

I honestly feel like telltale writers and perhaps the whole company is losing scope. The context of the wayne and cobblepot family allowed f

• My rating on each episode:

"Realm of Shadows" 8/10
    "Children of Arkham" 9/10
    "New World Order" 9/10
    "Guardian of Gotham" 8/10
    "City of Light" 9/10

9/10 overall.

• I choose to focus on a better Arkham Asylum. I failed to interpret this as literally as was meant, but after Bruce finished what he had to say, I was satisfied. All of this terror originated from the dealings at this backwards establishment, so it seemed a fitting way to end things. What was intended to be a place of recuperation, became the chopping block of Thomas Wayne's morally heinous actions, and anything but a fair recovery center. The inmates that truly are ill are treated like monsters and animals by a lot of the staff, and that is just completely unacceptable. Upgrading the facility to what the founders intended just seems so fitting, especially with the role Arkham has held in the story. Bruce will begin to redeem the dealings of his father in Arkham this way. Am I in the large minority in this one? In hindsight, the GCPD could use some reforms, possibly more than Arkham, but I really liked this decision. I'll probably be back on here in ten hours.

Just curious, what did you choose in the end? A better GCPD or a better Arkham Asylum?

• Really? Aw...

Then I salute you, Cop Guy, for bravely sacrificing yourself for a more gripping narrative!

enter image description here

Sarah1281 posted: »

I don't think there's anything you can do for the cop and I think it's better that way. Just like with the city block, this has to show that

• Alrighty. Streamed the 5th one on my YT channel (www.tinyurl.com/JapePelaa) LIVE and I gotta say that this makes want to see so many season of this!!!! Mr J in the next one YESSSSS!!!!!

Countered one funny bug at the Asylum though... the guy who is holding the electric stundevice ... Only eyeballs and teeth are visible on him :D oh man I cracked up!

• edited December 2016

That's the great thing about this Batman game. You get to choose your Batman. How violent he is, how forgiving he is, etc. To bad there wasn't a choice to kill (I wouldn't choose to kill at first but I would go back to see how it changes things like Walking Dead season 2's endings.)

AnimalBoy posted: »

I'm well aware of Selina's character and how she acts sometimes, but i just don't really forgive anyone unless their lives depend on it so i

• That's debatable (it's up for grabs just how far gone Harvey really is), but I'm content with the way the episode ultimately played out.

HiroVoid posted: »

Revealing his identity to Harvey or Oswald would also mark them for death as well.

• Well here is my thoughts on the End..and the season as a whole.

Ep 5 is perhaps my favorite episode of Batman...the duality of Vicki and Bruce...both of them becoming masked vigilantes to fight for justice in a city that is continuously beaten down by crime and corruption and economic trouble.

Batman is who Vicki could have been with a support system like Alfred. Lets keep in mind that Bruce Wayne as Batman is a heroic figure...but it is a bit insane to don a cape and cowl to fight crime and roam the rooftops of Gotham city at night. Al keeps Batman from losing Bruce. Vicki is Lady Arkham...even when she is acting like Vicki Vale. The only symbol of Vicki's humanity was the picture of her and her foster brother. Everything else that was good about Vicki...Lady Arkham sacrificed on the alter of revenge and justice for the victims. This is TellTales best villain ever...well developed and tragic...if DC had any sense at all...this would be the new Vicki Vale for the comics.

I love Alfred...you really want to bring him home safely...So yes I revealed to Lady Arkham that I was Bruce Wayne.

The final fight...Wowsers...and the artwork of the arena...was really well done.

The fate of Vicki...you all know as well as I the Comic Book Golden Rule...No body...No death..and even if you have a body...chances are no death. While we may not see her again...I have a feeling that she is not dead..just biding her time...The TellTale version of Hugo Strange...knowing who Batman is.

SEASON REVIEW

Well lets get the bad out of the way.

Perhaps the most troubled launch of a game in TellTale history. The Engine needs to be burned in a fire. Any computer that can run..oh say Doom well or Rise of the Tomb Raider really well..should have no issues with a story game with QTE gameplay. The performance patch was a great start to fixing things...but what about the PS3 and Xbox360 and Mobile market...that engine is shit. Continually upgrading the TellTale Tool is creating a monster with so much legacy code that it is becoming unwieldy. Why make a new engine when you could just license Unreal Tech...and we know it scales well on older machines and looks stunning on new machines. Suck up your pride before it damages your reputation too much!

Episode 1 Dialogue was a bit cheese in spots...though this did improve...and it was nice to see a new crop of writers getting duty on this game...it does give one a lot of joy to think of the great stories TellTale will yarn out in the future. Short episodes. Bad precedent to continue.

COMMUNICATION IS NOT A BAD THING TELLTALE...stop leaving your fans in the dark when there are delays in game releases.

Batman the series was a fun and wild ride from start to finish with characters ....the writers and the Voice Actors really drove the characters to 9000 in terms of sympathy. Everyone brought their A-game to the project and it shows....hell if this was an animated series on tv...I would watch it...so Bravo TellTale...you have made me...a person who rolled her eyes when this game was announced a fan all over again.

In the Pantheon of TellTale Games...this is probably tied for third place.

1. TWD series
    2. A Wolf Among Us
    3. Batman and Tales From The Border Lands
    4. Game of Thrones
    5. Minecraft SM

And for the record..I loved Minecraft SM...so these are all very good games.

Now roll out the We want season 2 threads!!

• Noway...he hurts when he hits you lol

His brain was scrambled in Episode 2. He's probably not doing well. It's a shame, really. I wanted to beat the crap out of him again.

• Although there are many changes from the various versions of the Batman characters, they made sense in the context of the story. They definitely took their freedoms with the franchise without making it look ridiculous (unlike Nolan's 3rd entry in his Batman trilogy), which I like.

This new version of Cobblepot made sense. He was charismatic and evil, for good reasons.

This new version of Vicky Vale had a good origin story and it seems that they put some thought into it. Her reveal didn't seem like an "asspull" move (like the true main villain of TDKR did).

Harvey Dent was perfect, and I was surprised that you could prevent him from burning his face, yet he still becomes a villain. The way they did it with the drugs was really well handled - I didn't see his face burn yet he still became the villain that is so memorable to the Batman franchise. Many people may think that this takes some value away from the choices that you made - that he becomes a villain no matter what - but from a story perspective I think it was a good move. Just because something doesn't get 100% changed based on your choice doesn't mean that it's a weak spot of a Telltale game and its overall story. I hope that more Telltale fans will see that in the future.

Catwoman was also well done. They reflected on her twisted personality, how she's a villain but can be a hero at the same time.

Alfred and Gordon felt just like they do in any other Batman story, and that's a great thing.

I can't really say much about Bruce and Batman because that depends on your choice, but I like the way he was handled in my version of the story. Classic origin story, with a Falcone twist behind it. They took some liberties with the Wayne history, all of that was well explained and enriched the story in my opinion.
    The 50/50 spread of Bruce and Batman gameplay sections (I don't know the exact number of course but it must be close) was nice and I appreciate seeing both aspects of Bruce Wayne explored like that.

Dialogue choices seemed good as always. You could be a "good cop, bad cop" and something inbetween. All those have been portrayed in the Batman franchise before, so it makes sense and you can shape your own version of the character. Batman was powerful in the combat sections, but I think they put too much emphasis on slo-mo effects which took away momentum in some portions of fight scenes. The detective sections were excelent and I would like to see that return in the future.

One problem I had with this series though is that it was choppy at times with glitches. I played the PS4 version so I can't say anything about other platforms, but I had some lag, framerate issues and weird glitches (like Bruce's neck being bent 90 degrees when talking, completely wrong camera angles that obscured the view of what's happening, missing character models so you could only see the teeth and eyes in some parts of the game). I wonder if this is due to the tight release schedule that TTG stuck to for this entry.

As far as the Season finale goes... well done. It had good emotional moments in large variety. Moments that made you sad, angry or feel like an epic super hero. The fight against Vicky is one of the best fights TTG has done in my opinion, not quite reaching the epic fight at the end of TWAU, but it was long and impactful.

Overall I am surprised that they pulled of this many villains in 5 episodes. The episodes could've been longer, but I'm happy with what we ended up getting. As a fan of the Batman franchise I am very happy with how TTG treated it and I am looking forward to more as it looks like a second Season is coming.
    Thanks Telltale for another great game.

• When you fuck up your friends face and life, your ear gets fucked up, and you find out no one ever really loved you

enter image description here

• It's clear that they wanted to make a semi-cliffhanger.

For example, League of the Assassins might be behind of this whole Vicky Vale having high-tech gear and money to hire mercenaries.

Lazarus Pit or no for her, the plot thickens.

• Bruce already cared about this even before going there and seeing what it was firsthand. Is anyone going to go back and try to sort out who was committed wrongly by Thomas? Were all of them drugged into insanity like Oz's mom? The guy who attacked you shouldn't just be let on the streets but he seemed sane enough. And since Arkham seems the only name in mental health with Harvey going there...Arkham is a Problem and needs to be made better.

Kenny726 posted: »

I choose to focus on a better Arkham Asylum. I failed to interpret this as literally as was meant, but after Bruce finished what he had to

• No no, Alfred still loves you! Unless that's determinant? But no-one would do that to our little Alfie-boy, right?

Poogers555 posted: »

When you fuck up your friends face and life, your ear gets fucked up, and you find out no one ever really loved you

• That was my thought...however part of me now thinks that family of the ones put in Arkham unjustly helped fund the Children of Arkham. Vicki was definitely a really good villain though.

Clord posted: »

It's clear that they wanted to make a semi-cliffhanger. For example, League of the Assassins might be behind of this whole Vicky Vale having high-tech gear and money to hire mercenaries. Lazarus Pit or no for her, the plot thickens.

• I still got my boy Alfred I guess...

(I might honestly replay the Selina part, I really dont like how just screwing up that one dialogue makes it so even the codex goes "Lmao bro, you now sworn enemies with her")

Ekelund21 posted: »

No no, Alfred still loves you! Unless that's determinant? But no-one would do that to our little Alfie-boy, right?

• I thought this was a very strong episode, but I think that's partially because I got the Harvey action sequence at the beginning. Penguin's is pretty underwhelming in comparison.

Some of you guys probably remember, I fucking hated the first episode. I thought it was a nightmare. I still think that the series has a lot of weak points, but this was a strong conclusion, and had engaging moments that made me glad that I glazed over the ones that made me scoff.

• Just got done with the episode, and just...wow. What an exciting, well written, perfectly directed, and fantastically paced episode. Seriously, props to Kent Mudle, the director of this episode, this has been to one of the best directed Telltale episodes I have ever played. That final confrontation and fight scene with Vicki was literally perfect, and there were several shots and scenes throughout this episode that had me mesmerized as well (sorry, just got out of a Media Studies final exam, my mind is focusing a lot on camera shots and the such). But back to the fight scene, from the choreography, to the scenery and imagery, it was flawless, and I loved that, despite Vicki completely accepting her part as Lady Arkham, she had a picture of her younger adopted brother, she feels sympathy for him because she knows he went through the same thing she did. Her murder of the Vales was not only out of revenge, but to also save him from further "punishment." The parallels between Vicki and Batman are well put together, she was a tragic and well handled villain, definitely one of the best in any Telltale series.

That scene with Harvey was intense and the second best scene in the episode (behind the Vicki one obviously), and can I just say, I loved Travis Willingham throughout this entire series as Harvey Dent/Two Face, he was a man constantly battling the man inside his head, and you not only saw it in his actions, but through Willingham's performance, stellar voice acting. The Selina scene, I feel like it's going to piss off the CatBat shippers (whatever you want to call them, I don't fucking know), but I felt it stayed true to the character of Catwoman, while at the same time, adding to her character. She had her insecurities, but was still a thief. And that set up for Season 2, now it's time for The Joker. One of the best parts of the series was that The Joker, for once, wasn't such a huge focus. While I love the Arkham games, they always relied on The Joker. With Telltale, he was brought in for Episode 4, and in that time, they introduced his character, established him as a possible future threat, but never put the spotlight on him for too long, and the ending to Episode 5 set it up great. This is what I and many others wanted, save The Joker for the sequel and have someone else be the villain, and that's exactly what Telltale is doing. Now let's see if they can follow through with a cliffhanger for once, past history hasn't been so kind (BTTF, TWAU, TFTBL).

Rankings for all the episodes:

1. Realm of Shadows: 8.5/10
    2. Children of Arkham: 9/10
    3. New World Order: 9.2/10
    4. Guardian of Gotham: 8.6/10
    5. City of Light: 9.5/10 (still some glitches that plagued the game, and Telltale really needs to make more models for random spectators in the crowd, I saw like 6 or 7 versions of the same person in one shot, not a single change in their design)
  • Not really, left with a kiss. Thought it was a good scene either way though.

Pretty cool boss fight. Sounds like the Bruce-Selina relationship is over.

• Tell her "We make a good team", and things turn out very differently. Gotta realize the kind of girl she is. If she asks why, and you tell her because you love her, that makes it about Bruce, and she would take it as wanting to tie her down. Tell her we make a great team, it's about the interplay between them, which if that's how it goes, she likes. Perfectly in character for Selina. You'll get to leave things with a kiss. Ask "See you around?", she'll answer "maybe" with a smile.

• What happens if you throw Harvey's coin?

• Eh, I just took it as her augmented suit doing work. She had advanced tech at her disposal. Wouldn't be surprised if she had some of that adrenalizing drug in her system either.

Ja1862 posted: »

The ending fight is utterly ridiculous vale can take full blown shots to the face and being kicked through stone pillars. She is laughably overpowered and seems superhuman

• edited December 2016

I'm not the only that found the encounter with Cobblepot unsatisfying then. Bruce and Oswald are former friends, yet the whole conversation seems like Oswald has already made up his mind.

Piggs posted: »

I thought this was a very strong episode, but I think that's partially because I got the Harvey action sequence at the beginning. Penguin's

• edited December 2016

He jumps for it, crashes through the railing, and falls chest first into the ground...unless you mean something else.

zeke10 posted: »

What happens if you throw Harvey's coin?

• Think Selina's possible antihero turn is coming season 2, but you can leave off with a kiss, a rejection, or antagonism this time. Really good scene, I think.

it annoys me how no matter what there's no way to convince selina to stay to redeem herself same with Oswald or Harvey that's kind of disappointing also with vicki cause it would have been nice to at least redeem one of them.

• Well unlike games like Wolf and Borderlands, Batman seems like it is clearly planning for a season 2. It ends with Joker attacking and then him in the bar as we see that this is just his first attempt at chaos. Alot of stuff can easily be transferred into season 2 aswell, and the codex also mentions alot of "in the future" type things.

Just got done with the episode, and just...wow. What an exciting, well written, perfectly directed, and fantastically paced episode. Serious

• He jumps to catch it, falls down the stairs, and ends up hating you.

zeke10 posted: »

What happens if you throw Harvey's coin?

• Does he still end up hating you if you throw it when you stop him from killing himself? I thought the determinant was about if he tried to kill you or himself.

He jumps to catch it, falls down the stairs, and ends up hating you.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.