2017 Games that disappointed you so far?

What game(s) of 2017 do you think let you down? I've completely wasted my money on Outlast 2.

Just WTF? This was my most anticipated game of this year because I'm a huge fan of Outlast 1 and Whistleblower DLC and it turned out to be nothing but a CHASING simulator with terrible writing, lame characters, lack of puzzles, enemies with no character development and a confusing story which results DLC baiting. I tried to get the platinum from it but I gave up because this has one of the worst enemy AI's ever, the enemies know where you're hiding though they didn't even see you. If they make a new DLC or a new sequel, I will not bother checking it.

I would have included TWD A New Frontier but it was too obvious.

Tagged:

Comments

• Mass Effect Andromeda....those graphics...a bland story...unfunny funny man....now no story dlc...but hey...they will continue to support the micro transactions.

• While I did enjoy it, I would say Prey wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. This is the same studio that made the Dishonored series, so maybe that gave me some high expectations going in, but I just wanted a bit more in terms of gameplay and story. Unlike Dishonored, it doesn't feel like it has a lot of replay value. With both Dishonored games, I thought, "I can't wait to play it again and do things differently," but with Prey, I was "Okay, it's over, time to move on to something else."

• So I guess that's why you didn't finish it on your channel. I even tried the demo myself and didn't interest me at all, it had some frame issues.

While I did enjoy it, I would say Prey wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. This is the same studio that made the Dishonored series,

• edited September 2017

Prey wasn't quite as good as I was expecting either. I still think it's a great game, I just think it fell short story-wise. Even then it didn't fall flat completely, I think it had a great opening and I think the ending kinda works, there just isn't much in-between and is bogged down by needless fetch quests which just felt like it was delaying the progression and flow of the story. This did however benefit the open ended nature of the game, I was quite satisfied with most of the side-quests and just exploring the map itself. The frustrating thing is that there are things briefly mentioned but never fleshed out that could have filled this middle part of the story.

I disagree about the replay value. I just think you need time between replaying, so maybe it is just the immediate impression you get. Playing Prey did make me want to replay Dishonored though, and I did. The first time I played Dishonored was in 2014, and it was nice to go back to it while playing it differently. I can see myself replaying Prey at some point. I've heard some people say they ended up appreciating the game more after playing it a second time.

I've also heard Arkane had to meet a deadline, so maybe that is why it didn't have those other story elements fleshed out.

While I did enjoy it, I would say Prey wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. This is the same studio that made the Dishonored series,

• Yeah, I kind of lost the inspiration to keep going after a certain point. I eventually went back and finished it, but I started back from the beginning and I just didn't feel like recording it again, even after I got to the part where I last uploaded.

AronDracula posted: »

So I guess that's why you didn't finish it on your channel. I even tried the demo myself and didn't interest me at all, it had some frame issues.

• The game does have a lot of fetch/side quests, which is fine, especially in such a huge (and well designed) space station like Talos 1. You can tell a lot of the development time went into that, and it definitely paid off, Talos 1 is amazing. The problem is that there isn't really an easy way to get back to some of the places you previously were in order to do them, and they're often so far out of the way that you don't want to do them because you have to spend just as much time getting back as you do in trying to do the mission itself. Other times, it requires you to go to a part of the space station that hasn't been unlocked yet, and by the time you do, you either forget you have the mission or several more have popped up and you're trying to complete those as well. Plus (while this may not have been a problem for you, it did bother me a lot) the loading times SUCKED! I sometime spent more time waiting for a certain area to load then I did in the actual area itself, and then I had to go through another loading screen just to get to the next area. If half the game is waiting for it to load, then it takes you out of the experience and lessens the enjoyability.

Much like with Dishonored, the endings vary depending on how you acted and the decisions you made throughout the game, and you're right, they do work well, it's just the middle part that drags a bit, which was never a problem I had with Dishonored. Not saying the stories in those games were anything truly spectacular, it's just that there was so much there that made it fun. The gameplay, the powers, the exploration that often times leads to the world building, and the numerous alternate routes that can be taken. You can spend 30-40 minutes, possibly more, in a certain area before even needing to move on to the next, so that cuts back on the loading time issue I had with Prey.

I do want, at some point, to go back and play Prey again, in the hopes that I have a somewhat deeper appreciation of it, but that won't be for a while.

VenomHD posted: »

Prey wasn't quite as good as I was expecting either. I still think it's a great game, I just think it fell short story-wise. Even then it di

• Mass Effect Andromeda. I want to like it and I've tried to play it a couple of times, but I just get super fucking bored.

• Besides the obvious answer being A New Frontier, I nominate Outlast 2 as one of the more disappointing games of 2017.

I consider Outlast 2 to be an antithesis of the original game; this game just seems to go about the opposite direction of what make Outlast a decent, if flawed, horror experience, and thus ends up becoming an inferior and dull version of the first Outlast.

It doesn't help that Outlast 2 barely brings anything new to the table when it comes to gameplay, story, characters, et cetera. The only purpose I suspect that Outlast 2 has as a sequel is to find new ways to disturb or disgust the player, and for most of the part they fall short due to how they're clearly made for shock value and nothing else.

There isn't even any improvements of any kind on the gameplay itself. The chase segments are both repetitive and overused, the lack of combat does more harm than good considering the trial-and-error stealth mechanics, and the recording events are more or less glorified exposition on events we've already seen.

To be honest, I've only just remembered that Outlast 2 had existed. It's that forgettable to me.

• Mass Effect Andromeda. I, unlike most loved the characters and the overall story, but the open world roaming the planets part of the story were extremely tedious for me.

• Wait, didn't you say you weren't interested in Outlast games?

RichWalk23 posted: »

Besides the obvious answer being A New Frontier, I nominate Outlast 2 as one of the more disappointing games of 2017. I consider Outlast

• All of them. Good video game quality has kinda been dead since late 2015.

• Yeah, I don't have ideas for what I should play next. The only game 100% confirmed for 2018 that I'm excited for is Spider-Man PS4.

All of them. Good video game quality has kinda been dead since late 2015.

• Yeah, there hasn't been a good Spidey game for a few years now. And there are zero to buy on Steam anymore.

Yeah, I don't have ideas for what I should play next. The only game 100% confirmed for 2018 that I'm excited for is Spider-Man PS4.

• It is not developed by the ones who made The Amazing Spider-Man games. It's developed by Insomniac and from what I've heard, they never made any bad games and they are doing what fans want in a Spider-Man game, they are huge fans of Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man Web of Shadows.

Yeah, there hasn't been a good Spidey game for a few years now. And there are zero to buy on Steam anymore.

• Would New Frontier be considered last year's game since the premier was in late 2016 or this year's game since the finale was aired in mid 2017? Could it be both years?

• Not really a game for 2016 because it was premiered in December and the full game was released this year.

Ladariel posted: »

Would New Frontier be considered last year's game since the premier was in late 2016 or this year's game since the finale was aired in mid 2017? Could it be both years?

• IMO nearly every game of 2017 Is shit, the only game I like this year was resident evil 7, looks like the best games are still to come this year, I hope anyway.

• edited September 2017

I wouldn't say a game has "disappointed" me because that means the game is.. Really bad. Which is rarely the case.

I'm gonna make a prediction though: Asassin's Creed Origins. WTF is that setting, and nudity? Even if I'm getting it, its only when its on sale.

Ubisoft must be like: shit, we're already in the 19th century, we can't go futher. This cash cow is gone sobs.
    Random employee: why not make a game set in the BCs? And add nudity to attract edgy pervs!
    Ubi: Great idea! Let's start working on it now!

• the only game I like this year was resident evil 7

Me too. Only this and Uncharted The Lost Legacy are the ones that I enjoyed.

BigGazMan posted: »

IMO nearly every game of 2017 Is shit, the only game I like this year was resident evil 7, looks like the best games are still to come this year, I hope anyway.

• I wouldn't say a game has "disappointed" me because that means the game is.. Really bad.

Disappointing doesn't necessarily mean bad. It means that it didn't live up to your expectations but still a game to enjoy.

ScootyZ posted: »

I wouldn't say a game has "disappointed" me because that means the game is.. Really bad. Which is rarely the case. I'm gonna make a predi

• I've still to play Uncharted the lost legacy but yeah Resident Evil 7 was a great game and I can't not wait for the dlcs to come out In December.

the only game I like this year was resident evil 7 Me too. Only this and Uncharted The Lost Legacy are the ones that I enjoyed.

• So Zelda Breath of the Wild is shit?

IMO nearly every game of 2017 Is shit, the only game I like this year was resident evil 7, looks like the best games are still to come this year, I hope anyway.

• edited September 2017

Never played It so I can't judge but I've heard nothing but good stuff anyway I said nearly every game of 2017 are shit I didn't said all games of 2017 are shit,

So Zelda Breath of the Wild is shit?

• Fair point.

Never played It so I can't judge but I've heard nothing but good stuff anyway I said nearly every game of 2017 are shit I didn't said all games of 2017 are shit,

• Tis sad there are no more DLCs to expand on the story, it could've saved the game had they put in effort.

Mass Effect Andromeda....those graphics...a bland story...unfunny funny man....now no story dlc...but hey...they will continue to support the micro transactions.

• Middle Earth - Shadow of War

The game isn't even out yet.

• edited September 2017

What's wrong with Ancient Egypt and nudity in a game series that's always been aimed at mature audience?

I wouldn't say a game has "disappointed" me because that means the game is.. Really bad. Which is rarely the case. I'm gonna make a predi

• Destiny 2... NOT.

• Because it's not Assassins's Creed. Established since Assassin's Creed 2, we know what to expect from each game. Such as swear words in Italian/French or whatever. Also slangs such as "Lost your bottle, boys?". Partial nudity, gore, violence and blood.

Full nudity (and possibly horror if we get to explore tombs and such)? That's not Assassin's Creed, it forgot what the franchise is. It's a mysterious stealth action franchise, not GTA.

Also, Templars never existed until the Crusades. What kind of story will we see if there are no templars? Go on a GTA killing spree with nudes?

What's wrong with Ancient Egypt and nudity in a game series that's always been aimed at mature audience?

• The Templars in AC universe were created during the era of the First Civ, they just weren't called that at the time just like Assassins.

And I don't get your problem with nudity. It all depends on how will they use it.

Because it's not Assassins's Creed. Established since Assassin's Creed 2, we know what to expect from each game. Such as swear words in Ital

• Yeah, the loading times is something I should have mentioned. They weren't too long for the most part for me, but occassionally they were. It made doing a lot of the side-quests (which I always do in games like this) feel more monotonous than necessary.

Another big thing that annoyed me that I failed to mention is that fact that it's even called 'Prey'. It has no right to have that name. It has more in common with System Shock than it does the preceding series that originally had that name.

The shortcomings of Arkane's Prey also serve to remind me of the cancelled 'Prey 2', which looked absolutely amazing. For that, I'll always be annoyed with Bethesda. It was the exact kind of game I always wanted. Prey 2's cancellation also reminds me of another game where you play as a bounty hunter, that is of course Star Wars 1313, but I'm rambling at this point, so I'll stop that tangent.

I think even if I replay Prey (and I do end up appreciating it more) Dishonored will remain Arkane's best work, though I've yet to play Dishonored 2, so maybe I should get around to that before replaying Prey.

The game does have a lot of fetch/side quests, which is fine, especially in such a huge (and well designed) space station like Talos 1. You

• Oh... I thought they were going for historical accuracy. Was that mentioned ingame?

Probably sex scenes, just way more explicit than in Ezio games?

The Templars in AC universe were created during the era of the First Civ, they just weren't called that at the time just like Assassins. And I don't get your problem with nudity. It all depends on how will they use it.

• edited September 2017

Man, I wish I had thought of saying that. Yeah, the whole micro-transactions and profiting off of a deceased executive producer really put me off wanting to buy it.

Clord posted: »

Middle Earth - Shadow of War The game isn't even out yet.

• edited September 2017

TWD: ANF - I'm not gonna say why because there's already hundreds of threads that will explain why.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - This is probably the most dissapointing game that I've ever played. The plot, animations even the voice acting was just dissapointing. Characters were also bland as hell. I wasted 30€ on this... Unfinished product.

• edited September 2017

You have to play Dishonored 2, it's fantastic, it improves on almost every aspect of the original game. You should definitely play it since we have Death of the Outsider coming out on Friday.

But concerning the loading times, I had times where I was waiting for well over a minute, bordering on 2 minutes, for an area to load, even if it was a pretty small area I was going into. Compare that with a game like Dishonored, whose longest loading time for me has been about 25-30 seconds. And again, Prey has you going into so many different areas than Dishonored does, so you have to experience the loading screens much more in that game than you do for Dishonored.

VenomHD posted: »

Yeah, the loading times is something I should have mentioned. They weren't too long for the most part for me, but occassionally they were. I

• edited September 2017

I would already have it, if not for it's PC launch. I was going to get it in the Bethesda steam sale, but that's where I ended up getting Prey instead. There is a demo on Steam, so I'll try that (just to test performance) and then I'll have to look around for the next time it is on sale.

I never played any of the Dishonored DLC either. I'm guessing you are going to say it is great, so maybe I should buy those too.

You have to play Dishonored 2, it's fantastic, it improves on almost every aspect of the original game. You should definitely play it since

• Even if I don't have much interest in a game or movie for whatever reason, I do try to find some form of positive qualities and moments that stands out to me.

I can understand why some would find Outlast 1 and Whistleblower to be entertaining, horrifying, memorable, et cetera. I just cannot say the same with Outlast 2.

Wait, didn't you say you weren't interested in Outlast games?

• most dissapointing game? outlast 2 i only played it because it was part of the trinity set

• most dissapointing game? outlast 2 i only played it because it was part of the trinity set

Sign in to comment in this discussion.