Site update discussion. NEW 11/30; Display first post on all pages + classic forum category layout

Comments

• Give me a week to adjust to this site lol. But is it me or is the TWD section missing its banner?

• Yeah, it's just a blank picture for me as well.

Give me a week to adjust to this site lol. But is it me or is the TWD section missing its banner?

• edited October 2017

Got it, my man they gotta do something about the header at the top of the page, its very obnoxious. Other than this I think I'm good. Is there gonna be anyway way to see your feed, like you could before? I mean like, just to see responses and replies and such in threads. I can see my posts, but i checked my notifications, and all that was there was two notifications that someone had flagged me for trolling in September? No notifications from this thread though lmao

• My profile says that I was last active on June 24, 2017... It's October...

• Holy shit I thought it was my internet being shit. The pages take forever to load on here but when I go on other websites it loads fine.

Melton23 posted: »

Okkkkkk sooo after some time with this update i’ve noticed that my internet has been shittier than ever before while trying to load, sometim

• One reason I liked these forums so much is because they didn't use the shitty common practice of linear discussion, at least not in the 3+ years I was on here since early 2014.

• Linear discussions suck. They have always sucked. They will always suck. Some people claim that they're somehow more organized, but that's bullshit. Any thread longer than a page or two always results in tons of scrolling and confusion as to who even replied to whom with linear discussions. Always. On any website ever. They're a thing of the past for a reason and have long since been replaced by intelligent layouts on most self-respecting forums. Why would you go back to them? Is this some retro hipster bullshit? What Telltale should have done is make replies collapsable so you don't have to scroll so much, not make it even worse.
    • Also, they somehow managed to make the website look even more bland and sterile than it already looked like since the last big update (which was still actually good). It's ugly as hell.
    • I guess they got rid of upvotes for good and all after disposing of downvotes a few years back. All upvotes before the update are gone, and it's been replaced by some Instagram heart shit. Don't know how I feel about that.
    • For some godforsaken reason the link that I've used to get to my profile for years now leads to the section where you manage your games, settings etc. and not to my actual user page anymore. No more pressing "t" and "Enter". Sucks.
    • They got rid of reply notifications? Are you fucking serious? So basically you don't even know if someone replied to you anymore, and seeing the actual comments on your profile page has been replaced by a generic "UserX has posted on DiscussionX" that doesn't tell you shit.

Some positive things at least:

• Notifications for PMs are neat, but you can't delete the disgusting ones you've gotten over the years. You know which ones I mean. I also realized upon going through them that I had missed quite a few over the years (sorry to the guys I never replied to ;-;), so I guess that highlights again how useful they're going to be.
    • I guess the "Save Draft" option might be useful at some point. Good idea.
    • Wall comments might be fun, but I doubt I'll ever use them.
    • I suppose the new "Profile" page is a bit more organized and might also make it a bit easier for new users to use custom avatars.
  • Let's be honest, who asked for this?

• Now that the like counter problem has been resolved... fix this damn reply system. It’s so bad.

• edited October 2017

Linear discussions suck. They have always sucked. They will always suck. Some people claim that they're somehow more organized, but that's bullshit. Any thread longer than a page or two always results in tons of scrolling and confusion as to who even replied to whom with linear discussions. Always. On any website ever. They're a thing of the past for a reason and have long since been replaced by intelligent layouts on most self-respecting forums. Why would you go back to them? Is this some retro hipster bullshit? What Telltale should have done is make replies collapsable so you don't have to scroll so much, not make it even worse.

I wouldn't call them a thing of the past since they're still used by the majority of forums, some might even say "self-respecting forums" :^). There's no confusion about replies because everyone who knows how linear discussions work quotes the post they're replying to.

I guess they got rid of upvotes for good and all after disposing of downvotes a few years back. All upvotes before the update are gone, and it's been replaced by some Instagram heart shit. Don't know how I feel about that.

They got rid of reply notifications? Are you fucking serious? So basically you don't even know if someone replied to you anymore, and seeing the actual comments on your profile page has been replaced by a generic "UserX has posted on DiscussionX" that doesn't tell you shit.

bro how about reading the actual main post

• It's not very easy if you don't know where the fuck the main post is, is it?
    If you joined the madness and saw all this now, there is no way to know that the main post is on page 1.

Linear discussions suck. They have always sucked. They will always suck. Some people claim that they're somehow more organized, but that's b

• I wouldn't call them a thing of the past since they're still used by the majority of forums, some might even say "self-respecting forums" :^). There's no confusion about replies because everyone who knows how linear discussions work quotes the post they're replying to.

Still doesn't change the fact that it's unnecessary and sucks. There are often several discussions going on within a thread, and the linearity makes it all one confusing mess. Yes, even if you quote, and not everyone is going to quote because it doesn't do it automatically. This is a downgrade, no question about that.

Linear discussions suck. They have always sucked. They will always suck. Some people claim that they're somehow more organized, but that's b

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited October 2017

It's not very easy if you don't know where the fuck the main post is, is it?
    If you joined the madness and saw all this now, there is no way to know that the main post is on page 1.

If you have never clicked on this thread before it will load page 1 by default with it focusing on the main post, also if anyone has used any type of forum ever they should know the first post on page 1 is the OP and the "main" one.

• edited October 2017

It's not very easy if you don't know where the fuck the main post is, is it?

oh come on even a toddler would realize that the main post sure as hell isn't in the middle of the thread

• Still doesn't change the fact that it's unnecessary and sucks. There are often several discussions going on within a thread, and the linearity makes it all one confusing mess. Yes, even if you quote, and not everyone is going to quote because it doesn't do it automatically. This is a downgrade, no question about that.

We used to have several discussions going on within a thread with the old forum style, we won't anymore, therefore no confusing mess.

I wouldn't call them a thing of the past since they're still used by the majority of forums, some might even say "self-respecting forums" :^

• You're saying that as if having several discussions in a thread was a bad thing, but for example in the interactive fanfics (and surely in any long threads) it was extremely useful. So, to me making it harder to have separate conversations within a thread is a step backwards.

Still doesn't change the fact that it's unnecessary and sucks. There are often several discussions going on within a thread, and the lineari

• What?!? I really fail to see your point. THIS is confusing, putting several discussion together, making a reply on page 2 appears in a discussion on page 10 that is entirely different is NOT structured. Before, it popped up under what you replied to, therefore not structured and only a complete, confusing mess.

Still doesn't change the fact that it's unnecessary and sucks. There are often several discussions going on within a thread, and the lineari

• Embedded YouTube videos are no longer showing their titles before you click on them. There is probably some simple setting somewhere that can be changed to fix this.

I also still can't sign in directly on the Community page. I have to go to the Telltale home page to sign in. That was a problem with the previous forum update, though, not a new one.

• What?!? I really fail to see your point. THIS is confusing, putting several discussion together, making a reply on page 2 appears in a discussion on page 10 that is entirely different is NOT structured. Before, it popped up under what you replied to, therefore not structured and only a complete, confusing mess.

No one is going to be replying to comments 8 pages back. Why would you reply to a comment that's not relevant anymore to the current page?

captainivy1 posted: »

What?!? I really fail to see your point. THIS is confusing, putting several discussion together, making a reply on page 2 appears in a discu

• Because it was a comment in that conversation? Conversations were contained to the people it was relevant to, so the people it was relevant to could reply. Why regress to a primitive format when the prevailing social media format promotes individual discussion? AND WHY DOES MY BROWSER KEEP LAGGING OUT TO TELL ME A DRAFT HAS BEEN SAVED, STOP SAVING MY FUCKING POSTS AND LET ME POST. Holy hell.

• edited October 2017

Well, one page back then. Unimportant detail in my argument. This linear way is stupid whatever way you look at it.

• What's with the fucking automatic save draft!!!???

• edited October 2017

We used to have several discussions going on within a thread with the old forum style, we won't anymore, therefore no confusing mess.

Wait, wait, wait, you are using this as an argument in favour of the new style? I mean, the reason we won't have multiple conversations in a single thread anymore is because it is no longer possible and yet you seem to imply this is a good thing. That is not a feature, that is a clear downgrade to what we had. Having comments less structured and more confusing, to the point where multiple discussions at once are no longer possible, that is not a good thing and it's actually ridiculous that this is brought up as an example in favour of the new system. What if users wish to actually discuss with each other in the new style? That is always going to cause a confusing mess. In this very forum, it will be particularly bad, because the general design is as bland and minimalistic as possible, far from suited to support linear style discussions.

Blind Sniper and Johro have brought up a handful of non-ridiculous points I am even willing to agree with, yet they stand against some pretty massive negatives that all seem to be disregarded with the stock phrase "People just have to get used to this", as if that fixes the issues this new style is causing. This is not more structured, this is not an upgrade. It is an inferior design, far less suited to support layered and active discussion between multiple people. In fact, it can get downright discouraging. There's a reason such a system has previously only been used in PM's, because as soon as more than two people participate in a discussion, it is always going to look confusing.

• GOOD MORNING AND LOOK WHAT WE HAVE HERE A FUCKING DOWNGRADE THAT NO ONE ASKED FOR. NO ONE

• Completely agree. What is this absolutely absurd notion that you should just 'give up' on a discussion within a thread? What if I'm 'late' to a discussion but have something to say about it? I should just not post about it now? Ludicrious. It's unrealistic (and incredibly disencouraging) to expect users who have been here for the past couple of years to now relearn this UI and suddenly change their posting habits because of this pointless update that's honestly just a downgrade overall compared the last iteration.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2017

The Vanilla forum was never designed for threaded posts. The Telltale web team did a lot of custom work to get it to function, and honestly there were always a lot of limitations. If moderators flagged a post at the start of the thread, every post under it would get flagged too, so it would make it look like we did a mass removal of posts, whether they were against the rules or not, and that wasn't the case since we only flagged one post. This way, we don't have to worry about it, since if we remove one post from view, the replies won't automatically be removed. There was absolutely no way for us to circumvent that in the old system, which was a major problem.

We also can now split posts from topics, which we couldn't do before, so we can now split out relevant posts to a new thread if they aren't breaking rules, rather than locking the whole topic. We couldn't do that before. Which was also a major problem.

Also, posts that broke the rules under a flagged post would still show up in the post history of a user, and there was no way for us to prevent that, without flagging from the bottom on up, flagging each individual post.

Since the forum had a lot of custom code that wasn't a part of Vanilla, since it wasn't meant to support threaded posts, each time the forum was updated, the code had to be adapted as well. Which, as longtime users would remember, meant that each time a new update was made to the forum, there was a lot of problems that would crop up. Since the Telltale forum is now using the Vanilla forum as it's designed without the custom code for threaded posts, this is unlikely to be as much of a problem in the future.

Also, it's worth noting that much of the Telltale web team has changed since the forum switchover in 2013. Speaking from experience helping to update code on forums, dealing with someone else's custom code is a real pain in the neck, especially when it's coded right into the forum php code, since when you update it overwrites that file, so you'd have to manually input that code back into the updated php file, and you'd have to adapt it for any changes that the Vanilla team had made in the portion of the code that the previous web team had adapted for their custom code.

It is a culture shock to switch to linear posts, just like the switch to threaded posts was back in 2013, but this really is in the best interest of everybody, from the web team, to the moderators, to the new users and regular users alike. We'd had a lot of complaints about removed posts, locked threads, and broken features after updates. Much of those are related to the hacks that were made in the Vanilla code to allow threaded posts. We now have a much more stable, usable forum environment, which really is an awesome thing.

• My small brain needs time to understand this mess....fuck I don't know how to comment lmao

• Even if they plan to fix the reply system, I will still not forgive them for making this downgration linear, uglier and a piece of shit.

• Can we please go back?

I can't even find my likes. Anyone know where the page is for that?

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I can't even find my likes. Anyone know where the page is for that?

Likes on profiles should be showing up at some point today.

Sharples65 posted: »

Can we please go back? I can't even find my likes. Anyone know where the page is for that?

• I don't think I like the new style all that much. Not sure if it's because it's actually ugly as hell or if I'm just too accustomed to previous format.

• I'm also scrolling way back to my very early discussion threads and the cringe is so real.

• Completely agree. What is this absolutely absurd notion that you should just 'give up' on a discussion within a thread? What if I'm 'late' to a discussion but have something to say about it? I should just not post about it now?

Nobody is saying to "give up" on old discussions; if you see a discussion you want to participate in from a previous post in a thread, just quote part of their post in your new response. It's not as hard as you guys are making it out to be. Once we have actual discussions made specifically to fit this format, it will make more sense.

Graysonn posted: »

Completely agree. What is this absolutely absurd notion that you should just 'give up' on a discussion within a thread? What if I'm 'late' t

• I guess this works?

• Not sure if it's because it's actually ugly as hell or if I'm just too accustomed to previous format.

It's definitely the first one.

ralo229 posted: »

I don't think I like the new style all that much. Not sure if it's because it's actually ugly as hell or if I'm just too accustomed to previous format.

• edited October 2017

People can have multiple discussions on the same page? We've done it before. That's why you quote. You can choose which topic you're weighing in on.

Or do it how I just did. Is anybody confused which topic I was talking about?

• All Discussion Sections are becoming Ghost Towns.

• It was so satisfying to read all PMs I hadn't kept on. I am very happy that PMs are now savable and stuff.

• Same thing will happen this time, which happened last time. It'll be slower up until the next big release, then everyone will suck it up to discuss the new game.

• https://telltale.com/community/discussion/117944/suggest-a-tag-thread#latest

If you guys want to suggest some tags, here's a thread for it.

• edited October 2017

never mind me. saying things without looking again.
    On that note:
    Best new forum ability is deleting PM's

Sign in to comment in this discussion.