Site update discussion. NEW 11/30; Display first post on all pages + classic forum category layout

Comments

• Wow, we can even like our own comments now...

• Guess I was wrong on that one. Wasn't really looking at it, no notifications and all. I thought it was a TWD ad, but maybe that was earlier.

• I think one thing that's kinda helpful is altering your notifications. That way replies and such will pop up instantly and you can click on them and go right to it without the hassle.

• This is infuriating.

• My likes are gone
    • No notifications
    • Layout is giving me eye cancer
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2017

I just got word that "Like" counts on your profile are coming back tomorrow.

In other news, as I said earlier, they might also be looking into the replies not showing a quote.

• Blind Sniper said:
    I just got word that "Like" counts on your profile are coming back tomorrow.

Fantastic!

I just got word that "Like" counts on your profile are coming back tomorrow. In other news, as I said earlier, they might also be looking into the replies not showing a quote.

• Yeah, we’re passing off other stuff to the staff too. Don’t think concerns are not going unnoticed. :smile:

Blind Sniper said: I just got word that "Like" counts on your profile are coming back tomorrow. Fantastic!

• They should put replies under the comment they're replying to...

Oh, you mean like how they used to?

prink34320 posted: »

They should put replies under the comment they're replying to...

• haa

They should put replies under the comment they're replying to... Oh, you mean like how they used to?

• they might also be looking into the replies not showing a quote.

Have they acknowledged that there's an issue with notifications?

I just got word that "Like" counts on your profile are coming back tomorrow. In other news, as I said earlier, they might also be looking into the replies not showing a quote.

• I don't get why some people are saying "When the old better updates happened in the past, people complained about that too. Just get used to this one."

I was here when the old update happened (2013 update). It had the nice brown sandpaper/coffee stained background. Each section of the forums had its own unique background that correlated to each section of the forums. From what I saw, yes, there were some complaints, but most were minor. Lots of people confused at first.
    There were lots of bugs which made people hate it but there weren't many complains about how it looked.

You might say I cherry picked these comments, but that's because the ones complaining were mostly "I'm confused" or "I don't like this where is my avatar" (that update got rid of all avatars). Those were minor.

Over the last few years every update has gradually made the forums look worse and given it more bugs. Remember when there wasn't an edit button? Remember when they got rid of the search button? (yes, there used to be a search button. )

Truth is, this new update we just got has honestly got to be the worst I have seen yet. I get they wanna look different and all but.. it didn't make anything look or feel better. The biggest complaint we have had for over a year is that that website is so white. Though it seems they changed everything except that.

• edited October 2017

You're wrong. Flat out wrong. Half of General Chat left. I was there.

Go to the first couple pages of the megathread and check their post history.

• edited October 2017

I also find it weird how the things that are a "plus" are merely the things they fixed that we still had before. We can edit comments, scroll down in our feed and access old PM's, but all those things were already available in updates before the previous one...

It's like they fixed the problems they caused before, heh.

• Half of general chat left? That's probably because the game quality went down. They didn't just get off the forums, they stopped buying Telltale's games as a whole.

I still speak to lots of old forum members who haven't visited here in years and they haven't bought a telltale game in years either.

Johro posted: »

You're wrong. Flat out wrong. Half of General Chat left. I was there. Go to the first couple pages of the megathread and check their post history.

edited October 2017

Truth is, this new update we just got has honestly got to be the worst I have seen yet.

We didn't bring this up because we didn't expect people to care, but mod tools with this update in particular got an overwhelmingly large upgrade. We've been trying to focus discussion on what is relevant to you guys instead.

EDIT:

Half of general chat left? That's probably because the game quality went down. They didn't just get off the forums, they stopped buying Telltale's games as a whole.

That was because they wanted Telltale to make more puzzle games and less games like Walking Dead Season 1. The classic fans wanted Telltale to go in a different direction and make more games like Sam and Max or Monkey Island.

• edited October 2017

Dude. I was there. The comments in the split forum were vicious.
    Here's 1 thread about it. This was well after the switch too. I just had this saved for my friends.
    https://telltale.com/community/discussion/50502/are-you-leaving-the-ttg-forums-tell-us-where-youre-going-so-we-can-stick-together/p1

• I think the two of you are talking about different forum updates. The really old forums used to be linear and had a light blue background. When Telltale went to the threaded forums, a lot of people left, though it was more of a last straw than just the forum change. (Original fans were getting mad at Telltale for changing their game style from classic point-and-click to more story-choice-oriented.)

What I would like to see if we keep this format are a "Reply with Quote" button which auto-quotes the entire message, and a "Multi-Quote" button that allows us to easily quote multiple messages on multiple pages. The really old forums had both of these features.

And as a side note, my join date got reset back to May 2008, which means I get to celebrate my 10th anniversary again next year! ;)

You're wrong. Flat out wrong. Half of General Chat left. I was there. Go to the first couple pages of the megathread and check their post history.

• I also find it weird how the things that are a "plus" are merely the things they fixed that we still had before. We can edit comments, scroll down in our feed and access old PM's, but all those things were already available in updates before the previous one...

The Reddit style comments previously on the forums existed because Telltale used custom edits and tweaks to the forum software. In the process of them updating the forums over the years, this resulted in various bugs and errors on ocassion.

Since Telltale is now using a less customized version of the forum software, we can get more features re-enabled or added on that would previously conflict with the custom add-ons Telltale added. This can be beneficial both for you guys as users and us as mods. I've already alluded to mods getting new upgrades. On top of new additions like profile walls, you guys might see other new features coming back down the line too.

I also find it weird how the things that are a "plus" are merely the things they fixed that we still had before. We can edit comments, scro

• I am looking at the old threads right now from 2013. Some comments are disappointed because they're mostly confused and mad about their pictures vanishing. But there are a lot that are fine with the update.

This update was and always will remain the best one. I cant see how you can agree that at the time, the whole forum agreed that this was ugly and worse than the previous. (Besides the bug problems)

Dude. I was there. The comments in the split forum were vicious. Here's 1 thread about it. This was well after the switch too. I just h

edited October 2017

Ignoring how debatable that is, I'd like to point out that the mod tools were... not the best on the Fall 2013 version of the site, so several things ended up slipping through the cracks until a later forum update in Summer 2014.

I personally didn't like the grunge design of the 2013 forums; it felt a little generic and didn't feel like "Telltale" to me, and I already mentioned the mod tools being a bit lacking at that time. Don't forget that people also abused various aspects of that version of the forums, such as downvotes and the profile feed having notifications with offensive content that you could not delete.

• edited October 2017

Well I "like" that... ;)

A few questions, however (if you have info on them).

The forums already have a guideline about double posting

Okay.. So let's say that I wanted to reply to one or two people and also add to the general discussion. If I replied to each person and then commented on the thread itself, would that be considered a violation because then I'd have 3+ comments in a row at the bottom of the page, regardless if they're supposed to be separate posts of separate conversations?

Will original topic posts (past the first page) return? I know I and others have relied on the main post of a thread to spread news and update them accordingly. It kinda sucks now because you won't have an idea of an update to the main post unless they notify you of it.

I like the inclusion of the emojis as a popular up list (I do know I recommended that a few months ago) but.. Why do we only have 16 emojis in the pop-up board? Does the code for other previous emoji's still work?
    Test: :scream: okay I guess so.

An improvement to the reply/quote system is maybe you could include a "Back" button to return you to your previous visible comment after you click on the "X replied to Y" button, if it sent them back a few pages.

• Original fans were getting mad at Telltale for changing their game style from classic point-and-click to more story-choice-oriented

It really was the last straw. A couple games that weren't geared to us came out and then the forum happened. It took me a bit to come back... and it wasn't really for the games.

WarpSpeed posted: »

I think the two of you are talking about different forum updates. The really old forums used to be linear and had a light blue background.

edited October 2017

AChicken said:
    A few questions, however (if you have info on them).

Sure, I'm game.

Okay.. So let's say that I wanted to reply to one or two people and also add to the general discussion. If I replied to each person and then commented on the thread itself, would that be considered a violation because then I'd have 3+ comments in a row at the bottom of the page, regardless if they're supposed to be separate posts of separate conversations?

For now, I recommend spacing your replies apart until someone else posts, or quoting multiple posts in one reply.

Will original topic posts (past the first page) return? I know I and others have relied on the main post of a thread to spread news and update them accordingly. It kinda sucks now because you won't have an idea of an update to the main post unless they notify you of it.

Maybe, but I want to stick with this format first since that's how traditional forums are designed. We encourage you to check page 1 for updates, or the original poster of a thread can leave a new post telling people about updates.

With mods and waiting threads, we'll probably need to make individual posts for updates too, now.

An improvement to the reply/quote system is maybe you could include a "Back" button to return you to your previous visible comment after you click on the "X replied to Y" button, if it sent them back a few pages.

We've given some feedback about potential quoting features to the web team and they might be working on something; we mods definitely agree with you guys about wanting replies to show a quote of the original post. :)

EDIT:

I like the inclusion of the emojis as a popular up list (I do know I recommended that a few months ago) but.. Why do we only have 16 emojis in the pop-up board? Does the code for other previous emoji's still work?

Yes, other emoji still work. Type out a colon and the emjoi menu will pop up, filling in with emoji you can use base on what you type. Like, if I start to type out ":w", you will see ":weary:" appear

:weary:

• Oh, one other problem with the main page organization. I used to be able to just zoom down the forums of the older games looking for new posts, which they didn't get very often, so it was no big deal. Now to access an older forum, I have to click on it without any indication if there are new messages waiting to be read. There needs to be some way to see the last post date for an entire forum area, or a way to be notified of any post in a specific forum area. Otherwise, it's not going to be worth it to check these older areas too often anymore.

edited October 2017

I was thinking on that too; I'm not sure if the current design could support that. It can't hurt for me to ask the web team about that, I suppose.

• Sorry, man. I didn't see a response.

• I personally didn't like the grunge design of the 2013 forums; it felt a little generic and didn't feel like "Telltale" to me

Yes, because blinding white is so comforting and fitting for them.

Ignoring how debatable that is, I'd like to point out that the mod tools were... not the best on the Fall 2013 version of the site, so sever

edited October 2017

Sorry, man. I didn't see a response.

Huh? I didn't call you out on anything?

I actually think you legit don't get notifications for responses. If this is the case, you can mention people with @[username] if you want them to see a notification. Don't forget tagging is improved now, so don't worry about it not being able to tag certain users. Example: Hi @Johro!

EDIT:

Dont_Look_Back said:
    Yes, because blinding white is so comforting and fitting for them.

I never said "all white" was the only alternative.

• Huh? I didn't call you out on anything?

I asked the question right before my bickering too.

I actually think you legit don't get notifications for responses

Really are back to the old ways. Good to know it's not an issue.

Sorry, man. I didn't see a response. Huh? I didn't call you out on anything? Have they acknowledged that there's an issue with

• I honestly feel a maroon and a dark grey would fit most. Accompanied by some comic style art.

Sorry, man. I didn't see a response. Huh? I didn't call you out on anything? Have they acknowledged that there's an issue with

edited October 2017

I agree with you there!

EDIT On a separate note, here is what you are supposed to get notifications for. If you want someone to see your reply to their post, I just recommend tagging them as I said shortly ago.

• I honestly feel a maroon and a dark grey would fit most

I was actually thinking of a dark grey earlier. Even if it's something like a stone pattern or something. I'm on a large laptop here and it's too bright.

I honestly feel a maroon and a dark grey would fit most. Accompanied by some comic style art.

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

I know some of you have been asking to limit clickthroughs - going through and moving some categories around now + archiving old, unused categories. Forum games is now at the bottom of the list of subforums! And happy to report that when you click TWD, it takes you right to a list of threads. Slowly making my way through everything now.

• Oh blessed old forums, please come back to me.

I am looking at the old threads right now from 2013. Some comments are disappointed because they're mostly confused and mad about their pic

• It seems most people really aren't into this update. Personally I like it. Love being able to see my old PMs and there's other stuff I like to. Of course there's a couple things I don't like but I'll survive.

• Hey guys to fix the reply problem, I propose we just mention each other in whatever we're replying to. That still works.

• this is some confusing shit lmao

• Hey guys to fix the reply problem, I propose we just mention each other in whatever we're replying to. That still works.

I like this idea. Tagging works too! ;)

Hey guys to fix the reply problem, I propose we just mention each other in whatever we're replying to. That still works.

• It is a mixed bag....negatives vastly out weigh the positives....there is no way for you to follow a conversation in this new system...especially when we are discussing things like the latest episodes...you have to clik to see what the replay was too...then have to scroll back to where you were...and god help you if the reply you cliked on was to a post several pages back. This is the complete opposite of useful...this is shit.

• Threads will naturally look a bit jumbled for a while since we're transitioning into linear comments, but once people make discussions based in linear comments, things won't be so disorganized. We just gotta give it time and actually use it first.

It is a mixed bag....negatives vastly out weigh the positives....there is no way for you to follow a conversation in this new system...espec

Sign in to comment in this discussion.