Episode 1 "Done Running" SPOILER Discussion

Comments

• Phenomenal episode! PERFECT!
    I've never been this immersed since s2 ep2 and now the sparkle of the series is back! Keep it up TT!

• Clem x Violent yup I am officially shipping it! I mean I knda felt that people like me saw some romantic tension between Violent and Clem. Did you guys feel that? I did.

• Pigskin Marlon killed a girl that only told the truth. Aj did the right thing.

devilshomie posted: »

I know that I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but I think that AJ is a little shit. In my playthrough I chose to exile Marlon and AJ s

• I considered the episode overall to be an excellent introductory chapter, but the ending was just... terrible.

Seriously, these kids are supposed to be veteran survivors, whom were but children at the start just like Clem was. They lasted 5+ years before Clem showed up, yet suddenly everything goes downhill in like a day. Both the group's leader (Marlon) and arguably its secondary leader (Brody) were killed in the first episode, conveniently so Clementine can lead these kids now that she has "saved" them.

Another problem I had was with Marlon's sudden change to an incompetent, cowardly leader by the end. This guy was keeping the others fed, well supplied, and together for 5+ years, and sure, apparently he traded off two of his own, making him a douchebag, but out of nowhere, simply because Clementine shows up, he becomes unhinged and acts completely unlike a survivor that would be capable of keeping a group alive for so long; especially if this unseen group is so dangerous that he was willing to trade off the twins to protect the others. Anyway, Clem and AJ show up and, within a day, he loses his shiz and murders Brody, flees the scene while simultaneously locking Clem in with her soon-to-be-reanimated corpse, and then pins it on her. What. The. F-ck.

^ Small issue on the scene above - Brody turned extremely fast for plot's sake and tension, and Clem could have easily avoided it otherwise by crushing her head in before she turned (ya know, if she hadn't turned immediately).

Everyone turned on their leader fairly quickly, considering how incriminating that whole scene was for Clem. Just as Marlon had said, they knew the girl for ~2 days, yet they took her word over him so easily. Sorta blew my mind... and if Clem decides to beat the crap out of him? They just watch and make comments on how she's kicking his butt.

Lastly, AJ straight up murders a defenseless man who had already given up/lost. In my playthrough, Clem literally tears the gun out of his hands before throwing it away and declaring that he'd be "placed in the basement until they could figure out what to do with him". Then, in Telltale fashion, the episode ends with a cliffhanger where a situation goes from handled to completely out of control. AJ, whom was unwilling to shoot Marlon on their initial confrontation (which I appreciated), decided to grab the gun that Clem had JUST dropped and shoot Marlon in the back of the head in front of everyone. Smart, very smart. So glad this kid was forced on me...

Small nitpick on the scene mentioned above - that could have been entirely avoided if Clem was given the option to suggest an execution right then and there to the other kids, just as Marlon was willing to kill Clem if you are too slow on defending her.

Anyway, personally the episode was an 8/10 until the very end, to which it dropped to around a 7 or 6.5/10. Nothing impressive, but I'm still interested in what is to come, despite my issues with it thus far. It at least seems more promising than TNF, and I prefer the current cast over S2's cabin group as well.

• edited August 2018

I do find it weird that settlements always seem to go into chaos whenever the protagonist shows up, it feels far too convenient. I don't think Marlon and Brody were entirely out of character, Brody had a rather realistic panic attack in my eyes, and Brody has apparently been having to hide this guilt for a very long time, and it only surfaced because Clementine caught them arguing.

On another note, is there a way to find a list of the different end states in the stats for each character and what causes them? The binary choices are self explanatory, but how each character is feeling I would like to know more about the different variations.

I also have a hunch that the scenes with Aasim are foreshadowing, in both interactions he was shown to be oblivious to his surroundings, which could have severe consequences down the line.

• totally agree.

Mark$man posted: »

I considered the episode overall to be an excellent introductory chapter, but the ending was just... terrible. Seriously, these kids are

• Why would people be shipping Clem and a corpse.

Scythenger posted: »

Marlon's a disgusting, horrible, and inhumane monster. After what he did and finding out what he did I hope no one likes him, I hope no will

• Your last point, about us going to different places and the school being the main hub was also mentioned by me as the most plausible thing that will happen this season. Although you conviniently left that point without any commentary in your posts.

Poogers555 posted: »

ᵗʰᵃᵗ ʷʰᵒᶫᵉ ᶜᵒᶰᵛᵉʳˢᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰ ʷᵃˢ ᵃᵇᵒᵘᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ᶜᵒᵐᵖᵃʳᶦᶰᵍ ʰᵃᵛᶦᶰᵍ ᵗʰᵉ ˢᶜʰᵒᵒᶫ ᵇᵉ ᵃ ˢᶦᶰᵍᶫᵉ ᵃʳᵉᵃ ᵃᵏᶦᶰ ᵗᵒ ᵐᵒᵛᶦᵉˢ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᴿᵉˢᵉʳᵛᵒᶦʳ ᴰᵒᵍˢ ʷʰᵉʳᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ᶫᵒᶜᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰ ᶰᵉᵛ

• The whole section with a walker Brody in the basement is fucking awesome.

Is it just me, or did that have a TLOU feeling. Hell, I was all ready to start shaking my controller to get the flashlight working again.

I was kind of confused about Abel, cause I was expecting him to show up at the end with his group at our gates (with first glimpse of Lilly)

Nah, I expect Lilly to be put off until Episode 2. I'm willing to put money on her being the leader, or at least a part, of these raiders, and her reveal will probably be how Episode 2 ends.

I think we are going to have a long conversation with him next episode.

Judging off the menu slide for the episode, yeah, I'd imagine. And yes, obviously we need to talk to him about what he did, and hopefully, it will come to be a character defining experience for him and we see him start to become a stronger, and hopefully less murderous, survivor.

0v3rp0w3r posted: »

(Spoiler)

• As much as I disagree with killing him, as I was going to take him prisoner, there are plenty of reasons to kill him.

bloop posted: »

I mean as in Marlon was either defeated by Clementine or willingly gave up. AJ shot and killed and unarmed kid for no reason.

• I had TLOU feeling too. One clicker is dangerous enough and I got that feeling from a walker this episode.
    Also, am I the only one who noticed that one of the walkers strapped to a chair at the train station (the male one) has differdnt colored eyes? Was he related to Abel since he has that too?

The whole section with a walker Brody in the basement is fucking awesome. Is it just me, or did that have a TLOU feeling. Hell, I wa

• Throughout the episode, we saw a lot of AJ not being comfortable around people that aren't Clem, along with a past regarding the ranch from ANF. Clem is the only person that AJ trusts, so when he sees her being threatened, while I certainly don't agree with it, you can understand why he did it. Along with what he's been through, or at least what's been alluded (which I'm hoping will be more thoroughly explained in later episodes), and the fact that he's a scared little kid trying to look out for the only person he really cares about, I can certainly understand why he did it, even if I don't agree with it.

hopefulfx posted: »

Leave AJ alone. Marlin sent Tenn's sisters to their (mostly) death, killed Brody, trapped Clem in the basement, tried to put Brody's death

• While I don't agree with everything, this is probably the most rational and reasonable post regarding what AJ did, and it's good to see someone not be all "How can AJ do that, what a little shit, fuck him, I hope he dies." That's the thing, he needs discipline when it comes to this, because he is still just a kid. And I've said it before, AJ certainly had his reasons and I understand why he did it, but he still shouldn't have done it and does need to learn discipline.

Sarunas21 posted: »

Regardless of what Marlon's done, AJ can't just go around putting bullets in the backs of people's heads like that. Even though Marlon deser

• I'm not saying Marlon is right for what he did, or should not receive punishment. What I'm trying to save is that AJ shouldn't have shot him no matter what he did, that was Clem's decision and she had it under control.

It's like when Javier and Conrad were arguing on the road and Gabe pulls on a gun on Conrad, only if it was AJ, Conrad would've been shot the moment he put his finger on Javi.

As much as I disagree with killing him, as I was going to take him prisoner, there are plenty of reasons to kill him.

• I'm thumbing you up for the Marlon's voice actor part, not the Louisentine part.

Can we all just agree though that Marlon's voice actor did a fucking amazing job? Like holy shit that final scene was 10/10 acting. (Spoiler)

• I'd have to go back and take a look at that to see, but maybe.

I had TLOU feeling too. One clicker is dangerous enough and I got that feeling from a walker this episode. Also, am I the only one who noti

• Oh? You don't like Louis, or just Louisentine?

I'm thumbing you up for the Marlon's voice actor part, not the Louisentine part.

• I mean, that would explain him being there and also why he said "I am not stealing. That ain't yours."

I'd have to go back and take a look at that to see, but maybe.

• Hey, that was a really solid episode. Colour me surprised.

Aside from the Marlon getting killed by AJ thing (although I didn't mind it, it made sense narrative-wise and neither side is fully in the right or in the wrong), I really liked that ending, especially everything in that basement. I just hope that even though I appealed to Violet, I'll be able to romance Louis, as I'm completely certain I will pick him in the inevitable romance option that will appear in the next episodes.

• If I'm forced to choose, then I'm also going with Louis. Hey, I never saw Gabe sing to Clem.

EbiManami posted: »

If that's the case, I'm going for Louis. He won me over when he sung "My Darling Clementine".

• Preferably none, but if I have to, Louis. He sung to her dammit.

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

I’m gonna be “that guy” and ask: who are you gonna romance? Violet or Louis? None? I’m leaning more towards Louis since he’s my favorite

• Unfortunately, yeah, it probably is much worse. Let's see, what would a bunch of raiders, probably male, in a zombie apocalypse, with no rules, laws, or morals, do with a couple of young girls who were given to them. I only see one thing, and it's not pretty.

lupinb0y posted: »

I feel like the kids Marlon gave away are still alive. I doubt that the raiders would ask for them just to kill them. Though if that is the case then what happened to them is probably far worse.

• edited August 2018

Oh I love Louis, even though I don't completely agree with him "Tomorrow doesn't exist" philosophy. He's funny, charming, and easy going, which is what you need in a large group of people like at the school. Plus, he's musical, so there's that. I just don't like the idea of Clem being a in a romance. We saw how well that worked out in ANF.

GoTRules posted: »

Oh? You don't like Louis, or just Louisentine?

• I sort of agree with you but AJ should've listened to Marlon. Had he done that, he'd know Marlon surrendered and was no longer a threat. Perhaps he was too focused on getting the gun sneakily without anyone noticing and he didn't hesitate (regardless of the choice e.g. aim for the head) so as soon as he got the gun he shot Marlon. He didn't know he was no longer a threat but that's entirely his fault.

Throughout the episode, we saw a lot of AJ not being comfortable around people that aren't Clem, along with a past regarding the ranch from

• So far this characters are better than the ones from season two. I mean most of them didn’t even get development

• The only way he got the gun was because Marlon dropped it. He'd have had to known Marlon had surrendered.

Ghetsis posted: »

I sort of agree with you but AJ should've listened to Marlon. Had he done that, he'd know Marlon surrendered and was no longer a threat. Per

• Oh I get it. Also, you don't have to answer this question, but will you be uploading your playthrough of this episode on your Youtube channel? And if so, when?

Oh I love Louis, even though I don't completely agree with him "Tomorrow doesn't exist" philosophy. He's funny, charming, and easy going, wh

• Shoot! Thanks for that! All the more reason for me to berate him next episode!

The only way he got the gun was because Marlon dropped it. He'd have had to known Marlon had surrendered.

• Yes I do plan on it. The first part is currently being rendered and will up on YouTube in, I'm hoping, the next couple of hours. I'll try and get a couple more parts uploaded today, and hopefully get the rest of it up tomorrow.

GoTRules posted: »

Oh I get it. Also, you don't have to answer this question, but will you be uploading your playthrough of this episode on your Youtube channel? And if so, when?

• Loved the first episode and really liked the graphics! Feels like a nice switch up. Takes getting used to the new fighting but it's a neat change.

The twists at the end were ones I didn't see happening so soon (people turning on eachother, someone dying) so that was a shocker! Especially what AJ pulled at the end. Situation was calmed down by that point, then bam!
    What AJ said after it happened, about shooting in the head, I did end up having a laugh though was still shocked he did that.

Love that you can see the relationships you've formed! Sucked to see Tenn was left being "resentful." Had a good relationship with him during the episode I had thought. Vi was left feeling "guilty" and Louis "heart broken."

• I loved that so much lol.

Louis was my favorite the minute he sang to Clem.

• edited August 2018

I played the episode twice now with different choices. I still stand by my opinion that Done Running may be my favorite first episode of a TWD game. It is a slow introduction with relatively slow momentum in terms of plot-progression, but this is exactly what i wanted from it. I didn't want to get pushed from action set-piece to action set-piece with some character interactions along the way, if at all. Instead, i got character interaction after character interaction with an action set-piece here and there and it really felt like a more developed approach to the story-structure of Season One.

The characters are well fleshed out, too, with the exception of some side-characters, like Omar or Ruby. The dialogues are also good and I don't think the characters speak out of age, because they're in the apocalypse for many years now and many of them were in Clementines age or even younger when it all started. They've probably seen shit similar to Clementine and it's actually kind of surprising how upbeat and playful they seem - excluding Violet - without coming of too annoying or illogical. Really good character-work.

From a technicle standpoint, this is by far Telltales strongest showing to date. It looks really good thanks to the new lighting system and the cinematography is fantastic at times. Animations are nice, too. It's still handmade, i think, but i didn't encounter any weird animation-spasms that existed in plenty of their other games. The new combat is great as well and i like how different each encounter ended up. The first is rather basic and obviously meant as a tutorial. The later ones have nice twists to them with usable traps. It made me excited what fun or exciting encounters Telltale has cooked up for us.

The new 3rd-person angle does a fantastic job of pulling the player even further into the game and supporting the exploration aspect. Great stuff.

It also ran really smooth, even on consoles. Polishing sure does make a difference.

I really liked it and if its any indication for the quality of future Telltale games, then i'm dreading to get back into the "wait impatienatly for new episode -> plays new episode -> wait impatienatly for next episode" Circle like i've been used to ftom 2013 - 2016.

Now some general quick throwaway thoughts:

(*) I loved the introduction to the new 3rd-person angle. After you leave the car and get your stuff, it started out like you used to be from Telltale's games with the camera being far away from the character, only to zoom in while walking the little street along to your first walker and revealing the new control scheme.

(*) I also loved the callback to Sam from season two with Rosie. I expected them to just ignore it and move on, but they actually have an entire little scene with Clementine dealing with her fear (or not).

(*) The intro-sequence is really good and it underlines the theme of the season of finding a new home in this broken world, just like how the flowers spread inside the walkers and nearly completely devouring it.

(*) I also found AJ's honestly irritated reaction to Minerva and Violet being a couple great, because it again shows his lack of social skill or understanding on how people used to live.

(*) Abel has a really long neck and it's creeping me the hell out.

• edited August 2018

Yeah, I did see that. I'm not going all in on this potential romance, but I will be keeping more of an eye out on how they interact with each other in later episodes. It's... It's something.

strwar3 posted: »

(Spoiler)

• Marlon is a piece of shit and he should feel bad except he can't even feel anything since AJ channeled his inner Carver and blasted his fucking brains out.

AJ is a wildcard for me. So far he's been absolutely mental in my playthrough and I'm really worried about it. He's on the path to become a Carver-Negan hybrid. Still, he's a good likeable kid and I'm glad he's alive and "well".

Louis is a slick bastard but overall alright. He gives the Ezio Auditore vibes and I can't help but like him because of it.

Violet was nice, except it's totally obvious that the Clem & Violet ship will blow up this community and I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Sad what happened to her girlfriend though (fuck Marlon and his shitty haircut).

Brody was a rollercoaster. Liked her at first, then I hated her and then I liked her again. Unfortunately she came to a rather "blunt" ending.

Tenn was a sympathic character and I feel really fucking bad for disarming him. Unfortunately I have a feeling he's going to die very soon.

Overall the episode was really fucking good and a lot better than any of the ANF episodes were. I'm really looking forward to the next episodes, because the opening one was absolutely amazing. 9.5/10.

• I really enjoyed the episode of The Walking is Strange. idea of the kids surviving by themselves felt pretty well planned out with the zone they had around the school and taking away the road signs so nobody would go there. I'd consider their circumstances lucky, lucky for being in such a place, and that they've had the skills to make it by, since after all it'd only take one to have learned from a parent how to set up snares to able to teach the rest that for example. I'm guessing it might've been an upper class school so the archery could've possibly been taught there. I honestly see them more capable than the old Motor Inn group.

I love this older version of Clementine. Our baby girl has really matured into a beautiful badass muffin and still retaining her humanity after all this time. I liked that they introduced her fear of dogs with Rosie, being she suffered pretty bad from Sam in Season 2. I hope after this episode there's a chance for Clem and Rosie to get along as I know she's a fierce dog but she was such a softy.

Seriously look at this doggy!

She's an angel. Walker guts wouldn't melt in her mouth.

For the new cast, I like Violet. She seems very human and I honestly feel she would be a really good friend for Clementine. If it was normal everyday life I could see those two hanging out. So...really hoping that girl don't kick the bucket. Clem needs a BBF her age and I feel Violet fits that. Swear to god Telltale if you drop her in a frozen lake I'll-

Louis meanwhile, he's charming and definitely a funny character, but for me I felt uncomfortable with him hitting on my baby girl, but that might be my asexual brain talking, that and Clem being our daughter. Truly? I'm going to enjoy turning that bastard down every chance I get XD and if the opportunity to drop the piano key lid down on Louis's fingers occurs when he tries to play 'Oh My Darlin' Clementine' again, I will not pass it up.

Tenn is adorable, just wanted to hug him with his talk about the picture he was drawing. AJ development is pretty good too, I like the fact he doesn't understand sharing since he's so used to picking up and keeping whatever he finds and that he's also jumpy from being on the road so long. I feel like the choices with him in this episode are going to play into the next since if he wasn't behaved or you weren't stern with AJ [made him apologize] then the whole shooting Marlon thing is probably going to make shit hit the wall much worse. AJ's delivery at the end almost seemed comical "what? i shoot him in the head" no shit kid!

Speaking of Marlon's voice actor did a damn good job during that raining thundering scene, [i think the thunder wanted in on that argument] I felt the situation was handled well and had a human response to it. He accidentally killed somebody and freaked out, then tried to blame it on Clem like he was trying to convince himself it was her fault. Really damn pissed that he gave those twins up to these raiders. I don't know if it's him solely being young when all this started and not knowing how screwed up things could get, but for all we know Marlon might've had them sent off with people who may very well turn those twins into sex slaves. Whether or not he knows that being a possibility doesn't excuse his actions, all the same you can get how awful it would be being put in a situation of making that call to protect others, even if morally it was damn well WRONG! I'm honestly hoping those twins turn up safe and the raiders weren't bad people, but I'm probably hoping for too much.

Now with that stranger danger guy at the station [I can't remember if his name got brought up] I wasn't too sure of him at first especially since one outcome of death can lead to him shooting AJ then Clem [only if Clem orders AJ to shoot] but I don't get actual stranger danger vibes from him. If anything he may be a neutral character who just wanted food and to be went on his way. There was nothing about him that shouted 'HE IS A BAD MAN! SHOOOOOT!' so if he shows up again I'll be interested to see what happens. But calling it right now, not evil.

Other little bits, I love there was fishing, FISHING [Blessed fishing with sharpened hip bones] I'm so happy they brought that idea back! And I like all the walker traps that were sit around the outside of the school. I hope we get a greenhouse sequence to fix on up those plants, since they should definitely make something of that. I also enjoyed Clementine's interactions with the kids, heck characters her own age which she hasn't had a great deal of. She says she's glad AJ gets to behave like a kid there, but I honestly hope she gains some of that herself and builds something with these kids.....and that AJ didn't just heck it up by blowing Marlon's brains out o_o

Seriously though Louis hitting on our baby girl, he's sweet but no.

In fact, here is an accurate gif set of how my particular Clementine will respond to Louis's advances throughout the remaining episodes:

Episode 2

Episode 3

Final Episode

Bonus DLC Episode:

• I was going to exile Marlon anyway. AJ shooting him just gave Marlon the easy way out.

• So where do you put the skulls while decorating the room?

• One over the door, one on the shelves

So where do you put the skulls while decorating the room?

• Oh, missed to put it over the door, thanks!

One over the door, one on the shelves

• Marlon is a piece of shit. I'm glad he's dead.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.