Episode 1 "Done Running" SPOILER Discussion

Comments

• edited August 2018

Thanks. I try to see things from all angles and while AJ's decision did upset me, I don't completely hold it against him. And Marlon reminded me of a more unstable Ben, who I also felt really bad for.

Yay someone who isn't one way or the other. Regarding Marlon and AJ. I've read really compelling passages involving Marlon but usually end with "AJ was a little shit tho what the fuck!" and vice versa for AJ. Its nice to not be so one sided.

• Agree completely about the IGN thing.

Lmao. All the main characters hate me apparently according to the end stats. In the end when their was the appeal to someone choice, I appea

• Violet all the way.

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

I’m gonna be “that guy” and ask: who are you gonna romance? Violet or Louis? None? I’m leaning more towards Louis since he’s my favorite

• lol I am probably one of the few people that liked ANF so every time i read this chat I feel attacked.

• edited August 2018

Did anyone else realize the good night, sleep tight, don't let the walkers bite rhyme. It was clem basically telling AJ to shoot her if she gets bit. I just realized this after watching my recording. Lol.

• i liked it dude. season 2 was my fave but i still thought ANF was interesting and enjoyable :). some ppl cant let others enjoy stuff without having a go sadly.

lol I am probably one of the few people that liked ANF so every time i read this chat I feel attacked.

• This was a damn great episode, like holy shit. Not even Season 1 had that strong of an opening. Aside from a few minor quabbles, I think this could tie with Tales from the Borderlands as one of the best Telltale premieres. If we continue to get this level of quality, TFS might rival Season 1.

• No, he always dies, it doesn’t matter how AJ feels, he’ll still shoot him.

Is there anyway to have an not shoot marlon

• Am I the only one who thinks Marlon kind of sounds like Dane Dehaan?

• I think people get the wrong idea that Clementine and Violet have similar personality because they're both calm and serious, but Clementine is just being cautious and rational, while internally hopeful and positive, while Violet is pessimistic and hopeless, especially with that question: "Who do you think will die first?" She's lost her girlfriend and her sister and seems to never be able to repair from that. Clementine also lost many friends and although it was an emotional blow, she can still pull it together and have the hope for peaceful life.

• ...Fuggin John Wilkes Booth over here. I honestly was hoping Marlon would stay a cool guy, dude made a really good first impression on me. I also was expecting him to last at least an episode and a half. Next episodes likely gonna start with Louis blowing up on AJ for detonating his best friends brain matter across the courtyard too.

• i generally liked all the characters, louis is funny and violet has a very sweet center, marlon was amazingly written. wanted to kill him but after he broke down...i couldnt and FUCKING AJ WHOA BOY, our boy is complex and cant wait to see more. also i dont want to be forced in a realationship because i sided with louis more than violet. that would ruin my immersion since i like both and see them as my best buds/leftenants

• Episode 1 was good I think, but I have to say after like 1 hour I was beeing "Man its getting pretty boring".
    The end was pretty good tho, i just dont like how the other kids felt about me.
    Louis heartbroken? I mean come on dude we didnt speak that much and we only know us for like 2 days wtf bruh.

So... the first 90 mins i think are quite slow and boring and the rest of the time its getting serious and interresting.
    I give the Episode a 6/10 which isnt the best opening for a season. (For example: Batman TEW ep1 was really good for a beginning)

• Episode 1 was great, like real Telltale’s comeback to form, but calling it better than “A New Day” episode is an overkill...

Better than “All That Remains”? Maybe.

Better than “Ties That Bind”?
    You bet it is. Actually, shame on me for comparing it with that disaster.

• Did anyone love Aasim as much as I did? I related so much to that guy.

On another note, the handling of Marlon was bittersweet. The moment the character designs came out, I figured we couldn't trust him and that only amplified with his "I'm trying to protect you" line in the trailer. Not all that surprised how things turned out even, though I was starting to really like him. While I loved the initial shock and how it impacted my emotions, further thought made me realise how lazy the writing was towards the end.

The fact that Brody was killed just to make Marlon seem more evil was the only major problem for me. I feel like there could've been more impact if Marlon wasn't that far gone but still gets killed by AJ anyway. That would make AJ's actions even more controversial and make the impact even more amazing. Whereas now, he just becomes more irredeemable than he was.

Also, it would have been cool to have an option for Marlon to still be alive after all the shit he pulled. I'm a sucker for redemption arcs and I saw a missed opportunity here. Sure, it would take away the impact of the ending which should serve as the hook for the whole game, but they could make the chances of getting the Marlon lives route really really slim on a first un-spoiled playthrough. I guess it's not very profitable though, but it still would've been cool.

This was the first episode since Season 1 that really impacted me a lot. And not just shock, but emotionally as well. Definitely a very good start. Just could've been better.

• What do you guys think will happen to Marlon's dog now? He was the one who could tame him before, but now that he's dead, she's gonna go batshit crazy with no one to calm her down.

• I love dogs, but I am very worried about what will happen if the dog gets too hungry.

• That’s the point, knowing about the characters and doing nothing important. A good story has nothing to do with action.

ThaDreey posted: »

Episode 1 was good I think, but I have to say after like 1 hour I was beeing "Man its getting pretty boring". The end was pretty good tho,

• I thought this episode was superb. Possibly the best thing Telltale have done so far. Loved the standoff at the end with the thunder and lightning. The whole episode was dripping with atmosphere.

• I absolutely loved this episode! I forgot it was out so when I got home it was a good surprise to see it ready to download.

My eyes were locked to the screen the whole way through and the length of the episode was simply perfect! I haven't felt like this since the start of Season 2, it really feels like Telltale have taken the fan feedback on board and crafted a pretty much perfect episode to kick the season off.

I'm honestly struggling to find a criticism, it has met my expectations and more to be honest with you! Very, very happy!! :)

• edited August 2018

Good episode, I had a great time playing. It is net superior to the whole ANF by far. It was easy to grow attached/ care about the group. AJ you mad man. I was having a conversation with the guy haha. If you ask me Marlon deserved it for what he did (even if I was going to exile him), but my boy AJ needs to learn control. Restraint is just as important as not hesitating when handling a gun.

I worry that this will fuck up the group dynamic though. You as the player will probably have to defend AJ because, in spite of what Marlon did, the initial group reaction is not going to be pretty. And even if you succed to get them on your side (and I think you will, again, because of Marlon's actions) I don't think the group will quite forget and will still be like "Dude Clem's kid? Executed Marlon at gun point, even if he had surrendered." It's a chance they will always see him as dangerous.
    I'm definitely excited for the next one.

• Great episode, Walking Dead is back!! Man, I couldn't believe Marlon was a traitor. I was convinced that he was trustworthy. I haven't been fooled like that in any other game (was a little surprised at Vernon stealing the boat though). If anyone was a traitor, I thought it was gonna be the funnyman Louis and his funny guy thing was just an act. AJ just point blank shooting Marlon, lmao. There is gonna be fallout in the group.

Clementine's personality - not quite "my" version of Clementine but still a major improvement from season 3. Looking forward to the next episode.

• Quick question. Since this game is set about 4 years ahead of where the comics are currently where do you think Rick and company are alive at this point in time

• Still at Alexandria or Hilltop. I’m sure the whole “Commonwealth” thing is done by then and they’re just chilling.

Clemenem posted: »

Quick question. Since this game is set about 4 years ahead of where the comics are currently where do you think Rick and company are alive at this point in time

• edited August 2018

The Brothers in season 1 was a totally different situation. Both of the brothers antagonise you to kill them/want you to kill them plus you have the option to walk away while Marlon flat out gives up. The brothers killed people for food cause they were sick bastards. Marlon gave away friends and killed one by accident cause he is a coward and can't cope with the responsibility of leadership.

The big difference being Marlon's actions were out of fear while the brother's were twisted enough to kill people for food.

Mattsag207 posted: »

Like Andy St. John...(determinantly)

• I liked Marlon at the start... Just shows I'd be crap in a zombie apocalypse as I'd trust the wrong people haha. AJ is a psycho kid and makes me wonder if it'll be him that dies because he turns into some nut job :/

• The dog was on a leash tied to a post. She wasn’t going to be doing anything.

Deltino posted: »

I'm no expert on the subject here, but I'm pretty sure it'd be difficult for a dog to break a chain leash that is tied around a 3 feet thick pillar of concrete. Well, at least not without the dog ripping its own head off in the process.

• AJ is a boy 6-8 years. He was taught not hesitate. He still needs to learn how to be merciful.

Correction AJ killing someone who had already surrendered/clearly announced they'd given up*

• September 25th.

Anybody know when the next episode releases xd?

• Noticed a lot of cynical comments against Marlon... guess I’m one evil bastard for wanting to lock AJ in a cellar while thinking that Marlon was just misunderstood and deserved a second chance. Maybe AJ isn’t as bad a I think he is ? he’s still an insane psychopath tho, that kid is not what Kenny wanted, therefore he shall never enter boat heaven.

• edited September 2018

Kinda hard to tell the difference on sight, admittedly.

@ThaDreey Episode 1 was good I think, but I have to say after like 1 hour I was beeing "Man its getting pretty boring".
    So... the first 90 mins i think are quite slow and boring and the rest of the time its getting serious and interresting.
    I give the Episode a 6/10 which isnt the best opening for a season.

I can see that.

@CharacterSupporter Did anyone love Aasim as much as I did? I related so much to that guy.

I think what makes Assim worth appreciating is that his pragmatism, unlike with say Jane(or according to some, Carver) and most other characters of the trope, isn't a faux-verbose formality for, "Making the "tough calls" when no one else is "strong/competent/badass" enough to" in this case--it means showing foresight, considering what would yield better results, and looking for what would be sensible way of surviving in the longest term currently achievable. Not only that, but he also actively engages in self-reflection; keeping a journal/diary to chronicle events for the intrinsic purpose of avoiding repeating mistakes and achieving a mode that would allow him to do better next time.
    And unlike most characters who call themselves engaging in similar prioritizing, it's not just an easy way of making himself look good thus far.

On another note, the handling of Marlon was bittersweet. The moment the character designs came out, I figured we couldn't trust him and that only amplified with his "I'm trying to protect you" line in the trailer. Not all that surprised how things turned out even, though I was starting to really like him. While I loved the initial shock and how it impacted my emotions, further thought made me realise how lazy the writing was towards the end.

Yeah, Marlon's whole "Luke except more dark/controversial/David" shtick is initially interesting in practice and somewhat notable immediately after the fact, but feels kind of forced in final execution.

The fact that Brody was killed just to make Marlon seem more evil was the only major problem for me.

Honestly, I feel it's a missed opportunity that Brody flat out dies there rather than potentially surviving, but possibly damaged indefinitely.

I feel like there could've been more impact if Marlon wasn't that far gone but still gets killed by AJ anyway. That would make AJ's actions even more controversial and make the impact even more amazing. Whereas now, he just becomes more irredeemable than he was.

Mm....

Also, it would have been cool to have an option for Marlon to still be alive after all the shit he pulled. I'm a sucker for redemption arcs and I saw a missed opportunity here. Sure, it would take away the impact of the ending which should serve as the hook for the whole game, but they could make the chances of getting the Marlon lives route really really slim on a first un-spoiled playthrough. I guess it's not very profitable though, but it still would've been cool.

I'm not sure how you'd come back from something like that, especially given the lengths of most of these stories, but I do feel like they could've handled that a mite more determinantly.

@wdfan Man, I couldn't believe Marlon was a traitor.

Eeeh, the last trailer kinda telegraphed that, tbh.

Though I was somewhat spoiled a little before actually getting to watch the episode, so that didn't help either.

Razer531 posted: »

I think people get the wrong idea that Clementine and Violet have similar personality because they're both calm and serious, but Clementine

• hol up did anyone say violet n clem got a similar personality?

• In this specific thread? At least Razer did.
    It's kind of an obvious correlation, though.

hol up did anyone say violet n clem got a similar personality?

• LaFlameSaurusLaFlameSaurus Banned
    edited September 2018

yeah so he did and its like
    hell naw,that shit aint similar

DabigRG posted: »

In this specific thread? At least Razer did. It's kind of an obvious correlation, though.

• Ya mean you don't see it?

yeah so he did and its like hell naw,that shit aint similar

• i mean it aint similar

Ya mean you don't see it?

• They're both quiet, practical, snarky, and brooding young female characters who look after little black boys and are seen as dependable.

i mean it aint similar

• LaFlameSaurusLaFlameSaurus Banned
    edited September 2018

yeah but naw
    aint violet like this "loner bitch teenager wheres the option to kill her" type bitch,like emo ass type bitch?
    clems not rly like dat or i guess yeah she can b like dat (kinda) but it depends on the dialogue choices

They're both quiet, practical, snarky, and brooding young female characters who look after little black boys and are seen as dependable.

• edited September 2018

To your credit, both are kinda on the undistinguished side, but Clementeen especially.

yeah but naw aint violet like this "loner bitch teenager wheres the option to kill her" type bitch,like emo ass type bitch? clems not rly like dat or i guess yeah she can b like dat (kinda) but it depends on the dialogue choices

• Really impressed with the episode and all the improvements Telltale has done. Definitely a step-up from the previous seasons, especially in terms of gameplay (an element that could finally be associated with Telltale games at last). I'm liking the collectibles and how they add extra dialogue instead of just being superficial decorations. The combat is definitely more challenging this time, perhaps even more so than the Batman series, which is impressive. I am curious though how much more Telltale could do with the new Unity engine in the future, and how it would impact the player choices. Hopefully, choices would have even greater consequences with this Unity engine.

Story-wise, it's quite impressive, especially with its length and amount of content. Clem hanging out with kids her own age is nice. Adds a nice "Neverland" vibe to it. I still need some more exposure to really get settled in with the new characters, but overall, they are nice enough. Violet's pretty cool.

I'm particularly surprised at how much interaction there is in this first episode alone, and you keep a record of the relationships between Clem and minor characters too? That's a nice touch. My favorite part of the new season so far is how your actions affect AJ's personality by the end. Sure, we haven't seen much impact for now, but I'm guessing that pragmatic/hardened/ruthless factor would come into play by episode 4. Really keeps me motivated now to have Clem raise AJ properly as a mother should instead of just doing whatever it takes to survive like I usually did with her in previous seasons.

What I'm really hoping for now is to have later episodes insert at least some references to earlier seasons, even ANF. A lot of people hated that, but I feel that some of the events that unfolded there are still important for Clem's development. And maybe some more dialogue options of Clem thinking about Kenny/Jane too, because those flashback sequences in ANF sucked a lot.

Speaking of which, the card game portion of the episode was awesome, especially the parts where Clem had to talk about Lee... and things got rather depressing and sour. Man, the feels. I definitely picked the dialogue option about teaching "how to say goodbye;" wanted to hear it after I heard it in the trailer. One minor complaint though is that, if you pick that option, and when Louis ask you later about whether if you had to kill someone you love, Clem answers it in a rather awkward way like she is speaking of Lee for the first time, ignoring the previous dialogue about Lee's teachings. "His name is Lee," she said, which just sounded kinda weird in context.

But it's a small gripe. The entire episode was impressive. You finally step up in your game. Can't wait to see what's next.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.