The Final Season barely feels like a Walking Dead game

Comments

• I am more excited for the García’s return than episode four. ?

iFoRias posted: »

I'm not gonna lie they had me for the first half lol

• shit man hate to tell you but they aint coming back chief

I am more excited for the García’s return than episode four. ?

• edited February 2019

I have to admit: unlike everyone else, I don't find this game just as good as Season 1 or even better than Season 2. Definitely an improvement over ANF but there are some flaws that just make me uncomfortable:

• Weird Character Development: Mitch doesn't get any credit in the first episode (unless I missed something, played the game only once) until Episode 2 and of course he had to die at the end, we just grew on him after being a dick for a few moments so why not? Out of all the kids in the game, Omar is the one who gets ZERO backstory or even unique dialogue. For some reason, we never see Mitch and Willy interacting each other despite both being close as Willy is the one who mourns his death the most in Episode 3. Lilly is just...a different person, I hated her since Season 1 but I think they went too far with her character in this.
    • The length: all the episodes so far are over 2 hours but for some reason, they still feel short to me. I think it's because it has only 4 episodes and.....wait a minute, this is something that nobody has ever mentioned. THE. MOTHER. FUCKING. PUZZLES. Last time I checked, the hub areas, while there were a lot of them, felt pretty short because it barely had puzzles, Season 1 had a lot of them.
    • No Use of Guns: So far in this season, Clementine didn't any types of guns throughout this journey, only a knife and a bow. I don't doubt they're better weapons but I still find it disturbing, couldn't she have just acquired one when sneaking into the Delta ship?
    • Walkers: They are way less of main villains in this season because nobody was KILLED by them so far. That's one of my personal problems with ANF. Predictable or not, they are still the reason the franchise is called "THE WALKING DEAD" in the first place. Now they are just there for...….action and gameplay? Because I remember them advancing the plot in No Time Left and In Harm's Way. Where the fuck is the slaughterhouse?
    • The settings: I dunno about you but I kind of sick of the woods and school being the main locations of the game. Can there be something....original?
    • Louis and Violet: They are great characters but Telltale focused too much on making them romance materials for Clementine. They are nowhere as bad as Gabriel Garcia but it felt like Telltale didn't want to give someone else a major development other than them. Why is Tenn so underdeveloped? His sister is PART of the Delta.

I dunno, I enjoyed this game so far but I'm worried about Episode 4. Why couldn't they add a fifth episode? The semi finale felt pretty weak for a last season/game of a franchise. How is the finale going to answer all the questions everyone is asking?

• I agree with most of what you said, but just so you know Willy and Mitch do interact in episode 1, you can talk to them for a bit. That being said its really nothing other than just establishing Mitch and Willy are friends for 30 seconds, he doesnt get any character growth of any kind.

AronDracula posted: »

I have to admit: unlike everyone else, I don't find this game just as good as Season 1 or even better than Season 2. Definitely an improveme

• edited February 2019

The semi finale felt pretty weak for a last season/game of a franchise. How is the finale going to answer all the questions everyone is asking?

Yeah it was a pretty weak semi-finale i've got a really bad feeling the final episode is gonna be rushed and they won't be able to wrap up all the loose ends in only 2 hours.

We can also say bye bye to the Delta i doubt we're ever gonna see their real camp it's too late for that,i think we're gonna get a Ranch flashback but it's probably gonna be lame.

Another thing i don't see many people talking about THE CHOICES

holy shit man the choices this season sucked ass,i can't believe we got another "save this character or this other character" choice wow really creative telltale.
    i feel like they're really running out of ideas when it comes to that the episode 3's choices were a little better but they're still pretty bad compared to the previous seasons.
    There's also no determinant characters like Ben or Conrad this season i personally feel like they missed the opportunity to make Mitch a determinant character in episode 2 but that's just me.

I have to admit: unlike everyone else, I don't find this game just as good as Season 1 or even better than Season 2. Definitely an improveme

• Lilly's determinant but who knows for how long

The semi finale felt pretty weak for a last season/game of a franchise. How is the finale going to answer all the questions everyone is aski

• I will admit, it’s hard to rank this game against S1 and 2, however; the nostalgia I have for those games heavily affect my opinion. But idk how on earth you could argue this doesn’t feel like a WD game, because it definitely does feel like TWD. The relationship between Clementine and AJ is (imo) one of the most interesting relationships in the series and it’s pretty fucking impressive how they were able to make that happen considering half of the community didn’t give a fuck about AJ before TFS. I think the reason this season feels more lighthearted in certain parts of the game is because the new cast of characters are teenagers and of course teenagers are gonna act differently then adults, honestly it’s more realistic that way. The game definitely has scenes that show the darker side of TWD (torturing Abel and Lily cutting out Louis’s tongue are a few examples) so it definitely still feels like TWD, at least to me.

• edited February 2019

Clementine and AJ's relationship is the best thing in this game for sure.

it definitely still feels like TWD, at least to me

Here's what i think and that's just my opinion you don't have to agree with it.
    Episode 1 was perfectly balanced between the Dark,Depressing and Lighthearted moments it felt like a real walking dead episode and i still think it's the best one.

But i didn't get that with the other episodes,i feel like Episode 2 and 3 had too much Lighthearted moments,maybe it's also because there's not enough deaths,honestly the whole "Lilly's kidnapping kids" plot doesn't work and i wish they made something more interesting.
    I swear episode 3 felt more like a fan-fiction at some points than a real walking dead episode.

And i loved the concept of having a teenager cast this season instead of adults i think it was an amazing idea but the way they did it makes me miss adults interactions i don't think they did a good job with it.

Overall this is just another "ok" game to me there's nothing really amazing about it,like you said it's hard to rank it because it's so different compared to the previous seasons.

I will admit, it’s hard to rank this game against S1 and 2, however; the nostalgia I have for those games heavily affect my opinion. But idk

• Right,i forgot that she's still alive in my playthrough.

Maybe they'll do something interesting with her but i doubt it.

Lilly's determinant but who knows for how long

• I'd take a good determinant character over Nicks and Sarahs all day.
    Hopefully she makes an impact.

Right,i forgot that she's still alive in my playthrough. Maybe they'll do something interesting with her but i doubt it.

• heeeey... “the final shit” is a cool name!

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

I agree with almost everything said here. TFS does not feel like a TWD game at all. It's tone and focus is completly different to the previo

• edited February 2019

Basically, it does a few things better than stuff after Season 1, but it otherwise retains some of the same trappings and is arguably worse off because of it.

• edited February 2019

I agree. I liked the amount of romance and socialization we had in first two episodes, but I thought that episode 3 was finally gonna be "ok this was enough of teenage relationships and their stories, let's finally cook up a sick plot". Unfortunately, the attack was basically all of the plot in those 2 hours of the episode - the rest were just James's philosophies, teens telling stories, dates etc.

Compare it to how much happened in 3 episodes in first two seasons.

• Oh yeah, I forgot to say that there are no Determinant characters in this season. Marlon and Mitch had potential to be the ones we need to make sure they are ok. I think both of their deaths are insanely stupid.

The semi finale felt pretty weak for a last season/game of a franchise. How is the finale going to answer all the questions everyone is aski

• I thought that episode 3 was finally gonna be "ok this was enough of teenage relationships and their stories, let's finally cook up a sick plot".

That's what i thought as well and ended up being massively disappointed,i mean there's like 20-30 minutes of actual plot progression each episode this is crazy.

Razer531 posted: »

I agree. I liked the amount of romance and socialization we had in first two episodes, but I thought that episode 3 was finally gonna be "ok

• Until Episode 3 came along

AM I A JOKE TO YOU?

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that there are no Determinant characters in this season. Marlon and Mitch had potential to be the ones we need to make sure they are ok. I think both of their deaths are insanely stupid.

• edited February 2019

James used to be cool but Episode 3 made me dislike him for his motivations. His determinant death was so stupid he deserved it. Why would you turn your back to someone who still had a weapon near their faces?

Until Episode 3 came along (Spoiler)

• Yeah it was pretty stupid. Even Ben had a more reasonable death than that.

James used to be cool but Episode 3 made me dislike him for his motivations. His determinant death was so stupid he deserved it. Why would you turn your back to someone who still had a weapon near their faces?

• Really, man? Really?

Poogers555 posted: »

shit man hate to tell you but they aint coming back chief

• Dark,Depressing and Lighthearted

tfw @iFoRias uses your line to argue his opinion

Clementine and AJ's relationship is the best thing in this game for sure. it definitely still feels like TWD, at least to me H

• Ngl I love this thread. There's just so much to talk about what went wrong. Another thing you've got to consider is that perhaps if this game had a standard budget they'd be able to make it an actual Telltale game, because choices sucked ass in this season. I don't feel like replaying the episodes more than once, as opposed to Bman S2 where I did so 4 times.

• Another complaint I have with the season is how some of the characters are so wacky. It's like the writers auren't even trying to take a realstic approach. They're just so stereotypical. But in saying this I will say that I had the same complaint for S1, only there the characters just had a lot more character. Could they have not made Ruby a 21 year old mature nurse, Omar the school chef but he's disabled and acts as a 'Walter figure' just throwing out ideas here. Like, why did Willy have such an entrance?

• edited February 2019

Forias is 100% right. Choices this season have sucked. Whenever I look at the credits, I always see choices there that make me go “Wait, that was a major choice?” Like in episode 3: Why does the bomb name or walkers in James camp matter?

Only good choices have been

• Louis/Violet - I know it’s a generic save A or B choice but these 2 choices branch a lot
    • Shoving Abel into Walkers or lowering the gun - Because the scene was so well made
    • Dorian Cutting Off Louis or Violets finger - It was cool having a choice that wasn’t balanced out for once. There was a genuinely wrong choice
    • Shooting/Sparing Lilly - Really well choreographed scene, they better not ruin this in episode 4.

They better kill it with the episode 4 choices and branching. If there are 2 or less real endings then I’ll be frustrated. This season has literally had no choices the change anything. So many of this seasons issues could of been solved if Mitch was determinant...

Also while I’m at it here’s my ending theory. Saving Louis results in an ending paralleling season 1’s ending and saving Violet gets a Kenny VS Jane style ending or an original ending. The writers like fucking over Louis so it makes perfect sense.

• I normally watch alternative play-throughs and have not bothered that much this season. I know how you feel.

Ghetsis posted: »

Ngl I love this thread. There's just so much to talk about what went wrong. Another thing you've got to consider is that perhaps if this gam

• More or less.

I agree. I liked the amount of romance and socialization we had in first two episodes, but I thought that episode 3 was finally gonna be "ok

• tfw people say its impressive people care about AJ now but you already know that when clem dies due to aj's actions suddenly everyone will hate AJ because Clem and AJ's connection is no where near as strong as Lee and Clem's

I will admit, it’s hard to rank this game against S1 and 2, however; the nostalgia I have for those games heavily affect my opinion. But idk

• dude what wacky characters XDXDXDXDXD

Ghetsis posted: »

Another complaint I have with the season is how some of the characters are so wacky. It's like the writers auren't even trying to take a rea

• edited February 2019

"The writers like fucking over Louis so it makes perfect sense."

Kent Mundle doesnt really keep it a secret that Violet is his favorite character, which obviously kinda shows based on how the game treats her compared to others (like Louis. I mean the others like Omar arnt even real.)

Also quickly about Omar, I actually hate how Mundle goes like "haha Omar memes XD" like as a creator, that shouldnt be funny. The joke is how hes a fucking worthless excuse of a character. That shouldnt be funny to you.

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

Forias is 100% right. Choices this season have sucked. Whenever I look at the credits, I always see choices there that make me go “Wait, tha

• You ignored my response by the way. I guess you have nothing to say now that you know the Garcías are alive!!! ?

dude what wacky characters XDXDXDXDXD

• alive doesnt mean they're coming back.

(I mean fam, they obviously arnt going to return in ep 4, and skybound isnt making another telltale universe walking dead considering how little money that shit makes)

You ignored my response by the way. I guess you have nothing to say now that you know the Garcías are alive!!! ?

• Did you watch the video though?

alive doesnt mean they're coming back. (I mean fam, they obviously arnt going to return in ep 4, and skybound isnt making another telltale universe walking dead considering how little money that shit makes)

• Yes, believe it or not hes just a youtuber talking about shit Mundle says on his blog. They arnt going to revisit them, the only character who has a chance at all at appearing is Javier, and thats a 0.001% chance of him showing up. If we're going to use Mundle's blog as """""proof""""" theyll come back, he already said they wont. Garcia's are done, Mundle is just saying their alive because obviously they are alive if thats how they were last scene, he isnt going to write some long ass story about how Javier died or some shit on his blog.

Did you watch the video though?

• Pretty much.

Weird Character Development: Mitch doesn't get any credit in the first episode (unless I missed something, played the game only once)

You sure? I'm pretty sure we knew it was Robbie Daymond.

until Episode 2 and of course he had to die at the end, we just grew on him after being a dick for a few moments so why not?

Did we?

Out of all the kids in the game, Omar is the one who gets ZERO backstory or even unique dialogue.

"You can eat or you can eat right." He has a few more lines if you continue to talk to him while he cooks.
    And they revealed that he, Ruby, Willy, and possibly Aasim were originally supposed to be present in episode 2's second hub area, hence the heads on spikes, but they were left out due to budget concerns or whatever. Which would imply that if he was gonna get more for his character, it would've been there.

For some reason, we never see Mitch and Willy interacting each other despite both being close as Willy is the one who mourns his death the most in Episode 3.

Yeah, I commented on that back in Episode 2. Or will, anyway.
    They were hanging near each other on the coaches in episode 1 and during the Delta invasion.

I hated her since Season 1 but I think they went too far with her character in this.

Oh shit, somebody said it.

The length: all the episodes so far are over 2 hours but for some reason, they still feel short to me. I think it's because it has only 4 episodes and.....wait a minute, this is something that nobody has ever mentioned. THE. MOTHER. FUCKING. PUZZLES. Last time I checked, the hub areas, while there were a lot of them, felt pretty short because it barely had puzzles, Season 1 had a lot of them.

I'm pretty sure that's because there's so little plot going on. Episode 1 was fine enough about that, but Episode 2 and especially 3 have relatively little happen for it to feel very long.

No Use of Guns: So far in this season, Clementine didn't any types of guns throughout this journey, only a knife and a bow. I don't doubt they're better weapons but I still find it disturbing, couldn't she have just acquired one when sneaking into the Delta ship?

I think they made that choice because ANF had guns akimbo.
    It also has the side effect of setting AJ apart more, now that I think about it.

Walkers: They are way less of main villains in this season because nobody was KILLED by them so far. That's one of my personal problems with ANF. Predictable or not, they are still the reason the franchise is called "THE WALKING DEAD" in the first place. Now they are just there for...….action and gameplay?

Eh, Walkers weren't that interesting for the most part to begin with.
    With that said, this Season has been trying to bring some out there mystique to them.
    Also, there were a number of walker deaths in ANF.

Because I remember them advancing the plot in No Time Left and In Harm's Way.

Oh, that's what you meant.
    Technically, a good chunk of Episode 3 involves setting them up as cover so the group can sneak about the Deltas ship.

Where the fuck is the slaughterhouse?

In the hills across from the Junkyard.

The settings: I dunno about you but I kind of sick of the woods and school being the main locations of the game. Can there be something....original?

The school is original. They just haven't taken taken full advantage of it.

Louis and Violet: They are great characters but Telltale focused too much on making them romance materials for Clementine. They are nowhere as bad as Gabriel Garcia but it felt like Telltale didn't want to give someone else a major development other than them.

Uh, I'd say Violet suffers more than Louis in part because of that, but yeah, it's practically Season 2 and arguably ANF all over again.
    To their credit, they tried giving almost everyone some sort of moniker or moment to remember them by, but so did previous seasons. And yeah, it kinda shows with Aasim, Tenn, and Omar in particular.

Why is Tenn so underdeveloped? His sister is PART of the Delta.

Yeah, that's another serious problem with Episode 3.
    And by your logic, another lie.

Why couldn't they add a fifth episode? The semi finale felt pretty weak for a last season/game of a franchise.

Probably to cover the cost between the budget and the ability to make each episode the standard Telltale length.

How is the finale going to answer all the questions everyone is asking?

Eh, i could leave room for doubt there, but realistically, it can't/won't.

• edited February 2019

goddamm dabig how do you have time to write so much im kinda impressed in a really twisted way

DabigRG posted: »

Pretty much. Weird Character Development: Mitch doesn't get any credit in the first episode (unless I missed something, played the gam

• Nah, the game’s been great.

• ok.

Nah, the game’s been great.

• There's also no determinant characters like Ben or Conrad this season i personally feel like they missed the opportunity to make Marlon a determinant character in episode 1 but that's just me.

Better.

• Eh, not really. They just actually characterize and develop him well.
    I mean, yeah, some people can be super petty and stubborn about things, but it's a simple matter of not getting much with him as a baby vs actually getting focus when he is a functioning learning age.

• edited February 2019

AJ is the best thing about this game.

honestly the whole "Lilly's kidnapping kids" plot doesn't work and i wish they made something more interesting.

I mean, it could've become something more interesting if they actually did stuff with the motivation.

I swear episode 3 felt more like a fan-fiction at some points than a real walking dead episode.

...Yeah. Yeah.

And i loved the concept of having a teenager cast this season instead of adults i think it was an amazing idea but the way they did it makes me miss adults interactions i don't think they did a good job with it.

Ah, it kinda struck me as a good leap, but too little too late honestly..

Clementine and AJ's relationship is the best thing in this game for sure. it definitely still feels like TWD, at least to me H

• edited February 2019

Essentially.

@Zombiekiller3121 AM I A JOKE TO YOU?

No, but a lot of people were quick to disregard you because "Pacifist is bad."
    Also, because mystery tends to fizzle, it seems.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.