The Final Season barely feels like a Walking Dead game

Comments

• Telltale: Makes a game about 6-17 year olds
    Telltale Forums: WhY DoEs ThIs SeAsOn FeEl So ChIlDiSh?

• Yeah what this game really needs is a Pete callback lmao

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

Kents point is BS. That point can be 100% shot down by how Clem mentions leaving Lee and shooting Kenny (if you were one of those monsters t

• She was easily forgiven for having Marlon killed just when she comes back with an injured AJ.

How didn't it work ? She was the one to get them to fight the raiders and inspired confidence in them. Her becoming the "leader" was only natural and it happened progressively throughout Episode 2 and 3.

• While we're on the topic, was it really even a matter of trusting or not trusting her?

AronDracula posted: »

She was easily forgiven for having Marlon killed just when she comes back with an injured AJ.

• @Divided_We_Fall How didn't it work ?
    She was the one to get them to fight the raiders and inspired confidence in them.
    Her becoming the "leader" was only natural and it happened progressively throughout Episode 2 and 3.

Is it?

I think we are saying that Clem being a leader of a group of children was poorly executed. A good idea that didn't work.

• The fact they quickly changed their mind just when she came back.

DabigRG posted: »

While we're on the topic, was it really even a matter of trusting or not trusting her?

• To be fair, it was more a matter of just tending to AJ over the course of two weeks(?) rather than anyone besides maybe Louis changing their mind.
    My point, however, was that the issue was centered around AJ rather than her.

The fact they quickly changed their mind just when she came back.

• edited February 2019

This season feels "childish/doesn't feel like a Walking dead game" to me for many reasons i've talked about before.
    Maybe read my previous posts and you'll understand why i feel like that.

And by the way i thought Episode 1 was perfect and felt like a real Walking dead episode so the kids are obviously not the only problem here.

Cdognkal2 posted: »

Telltale: Makes a game about 6-17 year olds Telltale Forums: WhY DoEs ThIs SeAsOn FeEl So ChIlDiSh?

• edited February 2019

Maybe not,but it definitely needs more callback to the previous seasons and not just "MEH LEEEEEEE3E3!!"

Why can't we talk about Kenny and Jane ? We can only talk about Kenny in Ep1 if Clem shot him in S2 but there's nothing for the people who went with Kenny in S2.
    Why can't we give Kenny's hat to AJ ? Why can't we even talk about his parents ???

You see that's a problem they could still kinda fix so i hope they put some efforts and have more callbacks/satisfying "rewards" in the next episode.

Cheddarhead posted: »

Yeah what this game really needs is a Pete callback lmao

• It's not like Marlon was some saint, Mitch was on Clem's ass throughout most of Episode 2 about the whole thing, I think they realize they need Clem and she just wants them to make it.
    She's the one who organizes the whole thing and she even risks her life for them when confronting Lilly

She was easily forgiven for having Marlon killed just when she comes back with an injured AJ.

• edited March 2019

Honestly I think how revealing Kent is on his tumblr sorta disturbs the writing of the game from a meta point of view. Like why is he showing favoritism towards certain characters or showing slight bias towards certain plot points and determinant choices? Also I hate how his tumblr posts constantly get referenced and brought up in discussions as though his opinion is objective simply because he's on the writing team.

I know Kent is only one writer of out an entire gang but his subjective, personalized opinions leaves a bad impression on everything imo.

I guess there's a reason why dev writers don't normally have open-ended Q&As about what they're actively writing. It just muddies everything.

Poogers555 posted: »

"The writers like fucking over Louis so it makes perfect sense." Kent Mundle doesnt really keep it a secret that Violet is his favorite c

• I wonder how many of these so called fixes and improvements to the story that were posted here are actually feasible and practicable to implement considering the budgeting and deadline issues.

Not many.

• Because that's how some writers and/or developers think and sometimes act out on. The second half of Season 2(and arguably, bits of ANF) was pretty rife about that.

With that said, his word on certain things has given us insight and context on the game that we wouldn't have had otherwise. And for Telltale's faults, one thing I will usually give them credit for is being willing to step down and level with us not in the know when they're able to. It's something I really appreciate in regards to ANF and wish had been more the case with Season 2.

Honestly I think how revealing Kent is on his tumblr sorta disturbs the writing of the game from a meta point of view. Like why is he showin

• edited March 2019

It makes me glad that this season wasn't written on a contingent basis. TT made sure the story scripts for all four episodes were absolutely set in stone before they even released the first episode.

If TFS was written a la "we have a rough outline of what our story is but we're gonna wing it from episode to episode based on whatever we're feeling because we have no actual idea" like with what happened Season 2 and ANF, this season coupled with the sudden bankruptcy would have made this a total disaster.

This is why I trust the finale to be a great one.

GSSalvador posted: »

I wonder how many of these so called fixes and improvements to the story that were posted here are actually feasible and practicable to implement considering the budgeting and deadline issues. Not many.

• edited March 2019

Things like adding more past references to the previous seasons (Kenny if we went with him,Jane),adding Kenny's hat or talking about AJ's parents stuff like that aren't actually hard to implement,but this doesn't really matter now because i'm sure they've probably finished episode 4.

I wonder how many of these so called fixes and improvements to the story that were posted here are actually feasible and practicable to implement considering the budgeting and deadline issues. Not many.

• Although they're not winging it and they had a rough draft of the whole season shortly after Kent's team joined, this season still follows Telltale's schedules and procedures. Same work cycle. That said after Kent's team joined, they started out the season with the ending in mind.

It makes me glad that this season wasn't written on a contingent basis. TT made sure the story scripts for all four episodes were absolutely

• This season ended up having the opposite problem, if you ask me.

It makes me glad that this season wasn't written on a contingent basis. TT made sure the story scripts for all four episodes were absolutely

• Yup I agree. Like everytime he needs to explain why plot points make no sense in the final season and someone uses it as proof that final season is fool proof, like, congrats he's retconning on tumblr. If you have to fix your plotholes outside the actual media, the story is already fucked.

And the favoritism is a bit annoying. And the Omar shit still makes me mad, if I was a creator and everyone kept making a meme about a character for them being a waste of space and the joke is how the writers do nothing with them, I wouldnt think thats funny from my point of view, but he seems to think it is.

Also considering I saw his long rant about GOT, I feel like final season is kinda fucked. Explains a fucking lot about why Final Season is so fucking linear after reading that.

Honestly I think how revealing Kent is on his tumblr sorta disturbs the writing of the game from a meta point of view. Like why is he showin

• edited March 2019

Most of the stuff people want changed wouldnt cost over their budget. People who have general story changes, fits perfectly in budget, its the same resources and production time, just the story taken in a better way.

People also want more branching options when talking, like mentioning the past. Again, wont cost much at all. It just opens a determinant prompt. Voice actors are paid by contract, not per line. Telltale reuses the same animations for when talking and auto fills lip sync. It would cost them practically the same as what they have now.

• edited March 2019

Oh yeah i've seen his rants about Got i can't fucking stand this guy anymore the amount of stupid shit he says on his tumblr is unbelievable.

After reading this i don't expect much in terms of choices/branching for the last episode i'm gonna keep my expectations really low as always but they'll probably find a way to disappoint me anyway.

Yup I agree. Like everytime he needs to explain why plot points make no sense in the final season and someone uses it as proof that final se

• edited March 2019

Also the strange hypocrisy of him going "It was really stupid and disappointing the traitor in GOT was based on one single choice instead of an accumulation of your actions." and then says its "different" when AJ only kills Lilly based on what you tell him in the exact moment, instead of making it what you teach him about killing since he killed Marlon be what decides what he does, cuz you know, that would make it feel more like AJ actually learns from what we taught him. It would have been way better if it was based on your actions before AJ can kill Lilly because it means: "AJ can kill again, but is he going to do it this time based on what I taught him?" but instead its "yeah so you choose for him lmao."

Ahhhh... nice and linear.

iFoRias posted: »

Oh yeah i've seen his rants about Got i can't fucking stand this guy anymore the amount of stupid shit he says on his tumblr is unbelievable

• Oh shoot, so it's confirmed then? Damn, man, you had one job.

Also the strange hypocrisy of him going "It was really stupid and disappointing the traitor in GOT was based on one single choice instead of

• The first time around (with Marlon) AJ just shot him because he considered him a threat.
    The second time around he actually waited for Clem to tell him what to do instead of just pulling the trigger, it shows development for his character.

I think him killing someone based on previous choices could come in Episode 4 since we get a lot of them regarding AJ throughout the season.

Also the strange hypocrisy of him going "It was really stupid and disappointing the traitor in GOT was based on one single choice instead of

• Its not that much development considering AJ killing Marlon no matter what doesnt really make sense either based on what you tell him. If they were going to force AJ to kill Marlon no matter what, they should have had it so now you need to teach him about killing. Telling him he was justified could change it, for what reason did Clem kill Abel? Ect ect, make what you show AJ actually be important. If anything theres more character development if he shoots or doesnt shoot Lilly based on what you told him because he is doing what Clem told him to do this way.

AJ shooting Lilly because Clem said so is AJ listening to what Clem wants just as much as him shooting based on what Clem taught him before hand. His choice of if he kills Lilly is due to what Clem taught him, so yes he was taking into account what Clem told him if they went with this route. (I mean it makes more sense anyway, you can tell AJ how he was right to kill Marlon and give him an impression that he was right for killing Marlon because he was the bad guy, but then he wont kill if you say no, of the whole time you tell him killing is wrong but then you can tell him to kill Lilly and he doesnt care, it would alteast make more sense if he chose for himself based on what you taught him so there isnt such a weird contradiction of what you taught him before, which just makes it feel like AJ didnt learn anything from you)

(If AJ determinant kills based on actions it will 100% be based on if you told him to shoot or not cuz they are going to go with some psycho aj story if he killed lilly meaning he will probs kill another person, and wont if he didnt kill lilly, disregarding everything else you told him)

The first time around (with Marlon) AJ just shot him because he considered him a threat. The second time around he actually waited for Clem

• Finally, a reference people understand!

Oh shoot, so it's confirmed then? Damn, man, you had one job.

• edited March 2019

...That was a reference?

Ghetsis posted: »

Finally, a reference people understand!

• GOT branching > TFS branching.

TFS choices are terrible. Literally, only 1 determinant line of dialogue based on previous season choices that aren't in the story builder. Also terrible choices like James walkers and the bomb name.

• this thread is actually the best thread of all time

• thank u sir

Hersani posted: »

this thread is actually the best thread of all time

• The Joker does not approve of this game.

• edited March 2019

Ok so now that this thread is back and EP4's coming out soon i was thinking about something that i haven't seen many people talk about.
    So first of all i'm not doing this to shit on TFS because it's "fun" i think this is something that they could improve for the final episode so lets talk about it.

And what i want to talk about is the atmosphere,like i dont know if im the only one but i thought the atmosphere of the game after EP1 just..sucked.
    For example i loved that scene when Clem hear Marlon and Brody arguing and goes outside the atmosphere there was really nice,it had that feeling of "something big is gonna happen soon" but sadly i never had that feeling again in the other episodes.

More proof that Episode 1 was the best episode of this season i guess ¯_(ツ)_/¯
    For real tho i hope they bring that back in EP4 somehow.

• How come?

Hersani posted: »

this thread is actually the best thread of all time

• Your profile picture gives me Paramore's 'Hard Times' vibes and I dislike them, lol!

iFoRias posted: »

Ok so now that this thread is back and EP4's coming out soon i was thinking about something that i haven't seen many people talk about. So

• Terrible how so?

GOT branching > TFS branching. TFS choices are terrible. Literally, only 1 determinant line of dialogue based on previous season choices that aren't in the story builder. Also terrible choices like James walkers and the bomb name.

• Terrible as in very few of the choices are moral dilemmas like TWD s1 or cause significant branching like Batman s2. They just exist because "it's a Telltale Game."

Here's a list of some of the choices in TFS that don't cause any branching and/or are not moral dilemmas.

Where did AJ sleep? - (ep1, I bet you don't even remember this one)
    Did you honor James' request? - (ep2, throwing the rock)
    Did you spare the walkers in James' camp? - (ep3, killing the walkers)
    What did you name Willy's bomb? - (why is this even a choice?????)

Terrible how so?

• Ah.
    I don't mind little choices like that, since they can add to your interaction with an associated character and keep everything from feeling super important all the time.
    Of course, there is the issue with doing them too much or too flagrantly.

Where did AJ sleep? - (ep1, I bet you don't even remember this one)

No, I didn't. It wasn't until a thread about what choices we made that I noticed it.

Did you honor James' request? - (ep2, throwing the rock)
    Did you spare the walkers in James' camp? - (ep3, killing the walkers)

Both of these are supposed to contribute to your relationship with James. They can show how much you're willing/able to respect his survival style or how different your approaches are.

What did you name Willy's bomb? - (why is this even a choice?????)

I'm honestly not sure, since it's not like naming the bomb will affect anything.

Terrible as in very few of the choices are moral dilemmas like TWD s1 or cause significant branching like Batman s2. They just exist because

• Even then youre being really generous for these choices. Theres a lot of dud choices that arnt that interesting and have no real impact.

"How did you enter the ticket booth?" - Never mentioned if you killed the walkers in the train station who said they wanted to be left alone.

"Did AJ keep his gun?" - Gets it back without using it in a way that would change the plot a little bit even if he kept it

"What did you say to Louis and Violet?" - Doesnt change anything, never talked about or shown how Lilly gets shot in the arm by an arrow

At the moment its a bit hard to judge some of episode 3's choices because we wont know the real impact till ep 4, but even then.

"Did you let Abel turn?" - He dies same time no matter what. Yet to be seen if it matters at all with AJ, but I highly doubt it

"Did Dorian cut off your friend's finger?" - Fully expecting them to just be like Abel and his arm, just missing a part of their finger, does the same shit anyway. (if they are clever they will make whoever lost it mention it to Clem if she also has part of her finger gone, but even then that isnt anything that impactful, but atleast it would be trying)

Terrible as in very few of the choices are moral dilemmas like TWD s1 or cause significant branching like Batman s2. They just exist because

• edited March 2019

"What did you say to Louis and Violet?" - Doesnt change anything, never talked about or shown how Lilly gets shot in the arm by an arrow

Do you remember how Dorian/Sullene get shot when you save Louis/Vi?
    And how Omar gets shot in episode 2?

The writers dont even care anymore. They're just half assing everything.

Even then youre being really generous for these choices. Theres a lot of dud choices that arnt that interesting and have no real impact.

• Unless I missed something, it's just Dorian when Louis is saved.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.