The Final Season barely feels like a Walking Dead game

Comments

• edited March 2019

Im not really disagreeing here. Im just saying in general season 2 had a more interesting plot (at least from 1 - 3, rest started to crumble) it was also the first sequel to Walking Dead, so we hadnt really adjusted to how the formula would soon be really repetitive with Telltale's Walking Dead, and at the time it wasnt "repetitive" as we would think of it being repetitive now as it was the first game in the series to actually start these trends in Telltales Walking Dead, so it wouldn't be "repetitive" if it was what started it. And yes, Kenny in Season 2 did help the season a lot in all honesty. Love him or hate him, Kenny's inclusion made Season 2 actually feel like a continuation of some kind, unlike ANF and Final Season which give more of a "reboot" feel because the only character coming back is Clem, making it no longer feel like a continuation. (AJ doesnt count, he had 0 character before and was essentially just an item that no one playing the game was interested in what happened next for him)

I agree, S2 being the first sequel helped it a shit ton, especially because it came out hot off of S1’s success. And yea it did feel more like a continuation but that’s because it came out at a good time. TFS had to continue from (arguably) the worst Telltale game ever made, considering the circumstances I think it did the best it could.

About the whole “repetitive” thing, while you are correct in saying it was Telltales first time doing this formula, to say it hadn’t been done before isn’t technically true. The comics and TV show did this kind of formula as well which is why I referenced it as the “classic WD structure” in my previous comment, it’s been done countless times in the franchise before and after S2.

Also Season 2's cast honestly is more memorable. Final Season memorable characters are AJ, Louis, Violet. Everyone else is background noise. Season 2 had Kenny, Luke, Rebecca, Carver, Jane, and even some talk about how much they liked Nick and Sarah and were frustrated at how they were underused because they liked them that much. Contrast to Final season where no one really gives a fuck about anyone other than AJ, Louis, and Violet.

Like I said before, to each their own. TFS also has Tenn, Marlon, and James who I think are really well done. I also personally feel like TFS does a better job at making the minor characters more notable and I feel like they stand out more compared to S2’s minor characters. I also personally think Rebecca, Carver, Jane, Nick, and Sarah were pretty forgettable for the most part and had a lot of inconsistency issues with their character or were just straight up forgotten about halfway through the season, I liked Nick a lot before In Harms Way and thought he was a pretty interesting character but his determinant status fucked him up. Out of all of those characters though I’m really not a fan of Carver and how he gets praised as a good villain by some people. The only reason people liked him was because he was voiced by Michael fucking Madsen (by far the most talented and high profile VA/Actor in the series). If you actually just read his lines from In Harms Way, he’s by far the most stereotypical villain in TWD franchise who just happened to get the best VA in the telltale series. IMO TFS’s characters have felt more consistent overall (besides Lily) and Omar is really the only one who has been forgotten while every other character has had their respected moments to shine. Keep in mind Season 2 has been out for years and TFS isn’t even over yet, so we really can’t fully judge how memorable characters will be yet. S2 kept getting new characters and throwing them out almost right away leaving only a few with enough time to actually become memorable imo.

Poogers555 posted: »

Im not really disagreeing here. Im just saying in general season 2 had a more interesting plot (at least from 1 - 3, rest started to crumble

• You know, I've been poking my head in the last few hours having stuff I'd say, but just not doing so.

• The game, comic, and TV show are very different from each other and the team behind it is also much more different. If we're going to judge the game for shortcomings, it has to be based on the game series, and what the game series has done. Only time we can do a direct comparison of the two is when one messes with the other (like how we complained about Jesus in ANF because of plot armor due to him being in the comics making ANF's story worse, stuff like that)

Again Id disagree. Tenn is very forgettable at the moment, James' character is basically just "I like walkers and peace dude" and then he can be killed off. Marlon was good but not memorable, he gets killed in ep 1 for the sake of AJ's character. Also Carver is the best antagonist Telltale made out of the 4 seasons. Overall hes not that great due him being cut short and killed off in ep 3, but compared to characters like Joan and Lilly, hes way better. Im honestly pretty much against the whole "big bad guy vs our guys" plot Telltale kept trying to pushing when it clearly didnt work. Season 1 doesnt have some "big bad group vs group" as the main plot, and its considered the best season by a land slide. Telltale's Walking Dead worked best when it was about problems within your own group, not the bullshit ours vs theirs. Carver was a weak ass antagonist but he is far more memorable than Joan, and made way more sense than Lilly's role in Final Season. (only reason Lilly can be considered memorable is because she was in season 1, the writing team fucked up hard on how to make her an actual interesting antagonist)

Im not really disagreeing here. Im just saying in general season 2 had a more interesting plot (at least from 1 - 3, rest started to crumble

• Kenny's return is the thing that ruined Season 2 (for me at least).

Basically, Season 2 is regarded much better because unlike Final Season, Season 2 despite its flaws at least felt like part 2 of Clem's story.

It's regarded better by 5 people on this forum lmao

• I just wrote the best essay in my life in response to this, it was so good and I was so proud of it. Poof. Darn it why didn't it save. I might write it again but I'm not bothered anymore, half an hour is a lot in today's world.

And then you've got how the characters don't help TFS in the first place because they are partly what encourage the 'barely feels like a wal

• It's regarded better by 5 people on this forum lmao

Lots of people would regard S2 better than TFS on most aspects..if they were still here the community's pretty much dead now.

Also it's funny how Kenny ruined S2 for you because it's the complete opposite for me i thought Kenny returning wasn't that bad overall but Lilly returning in TFS really ruined this season for me.

Kenny's return is the thing that ruined Season 2 (for me at least). Basically, Season 2 is regarded much better because unlike Final S

• Both Season2!Kenny and Lilith are pretty shameless additions to their respective seasons, but while Kenny is just sort of flanderized, derailing, and milked like you wouldn't believe, Lilith is ultimately someone not giving a shit and tacking in for attempted easy views.

• I cannot wait for the 25th / 26th of March! ?

• Kenny returning in Season 2 basically made the whole Season onwards "Side with Kenny" / "Side with cabin group".

At least Lilly isn't that important and most choices don't revolve around her.

iFoRias posted: »

It's regarded better by 5 people on this forum lmao Lots of people would regard S2 better than TFS on most aspects..if they were sti

• Do not forget siding with Queen Jane. ?

Kenny returning in Season 2 basically made the whole Season onwards "Side with Kenny" / "Side with cabin group". At least Lilly isn't that important and most choices don't revolve around her.

• At least Lilly is pointless and wasn't necessary in being there.

Fixed.

Kenny returning in Season 2 basically made the whole Season onwards "Side with Kenny" / "Side with cabin group". At least Lilly isn't that important and most choices don't revolve around her.

• S2 had ADULTS in adult situations ,TFS has kids wooping adults, S2 writing was a jumbled mess, TFS writing is just wrong and doesn't even resmeble writing, you couldn't even call it fan fiction! it would be a disservice to fans, this is worst of the lot.

Oh my god, the amount of people glorifying S2 and saying it’s “so much better then TFS” is actually ridiculous. You all like to complain abo

• Yeah not really a fan of the "KIDS VS ADULTS" shit they have going on you'd think they'd have something more complex and interesting for their final season,at this point i honestly think the original road trip S4 story would've been better than what we got.

The only thing that the new team seemed to have improve is AJ's character and his relationship with Clem the rest..meh.

Clemmy1 posted: »

S2 had ADULTS in adult situations ,TFS has kids wooping adults, S2 writing was a jumbled mess, TFS writing is just wrong and doesn't even re

• I kinda hope one day we get a full synopsis of what Final Season was going to be.

Also the part where we find the deer skull in ep 1 and it says it would make a good "hood ornament" makes me think originally we could customize the car with collectibles instead of the room. The car was apparently going to be a main focus and main way of travel so it would make sense. I think I would have liked that more this way seeing as we arnt in our room that much and the room doesnt really look that different from one thats empty to one thats full. Think of how in Borderlands we can get a custom caravan skin and how it was cool because it was our main way of transport and we would see it alot, felt more meaningful seeing our costume pain job frequently.

iFoRias posted: »

Yeah not really a fan of the "KIDS VS ADULTS" shit they have going on you'd think they'd have something more complex and interesting for the

• I kinda hope one day we get a full synopsis of what all subsequent Seasons were going to be.

Apropos.

I kinda hope one day we get a full synopsis of what Final Season was going to be. Also the part where we find the deer skull in ep 1 and

• edited March 2019

High five to you who sees the final season for what it is. Thank you!

S2 had ADULTS in adult situations ,TFS has kids wooping adults, S2 writing was a jumbled mess, TFS writing is just wrong and doesn't even re

• Plus the soundtrack; I have it on Spotify.

I kinda hope one day we get a full synopsis of what Final Season was going to be. Also the part where we find the deer skull in ep 1 and

• Honestly, the road trip option seems best, but not the 'moving goal' thing where AJ isn't present for most of the season.This is mainly because TFS really only focuses on AJ and Clem's relationship, so if they were travelling together then it would be a better way to highlight that. Perhaps fans would call it a 'second try' of the wellington arc only this time the player would take Kenny's role in getting AJ to a safe place and what that would cost. But that end-goal is probably the finale of TFS so it wouldn't be too different. Even better is that it wouldn't be 'kids vs adults' there would be no teenage romance that interferes with Clem and AJ, and the writers can better showcase how different people have changed in different ways. It would also make the story less about risking Clem and AJ's lives for these nobodies who are barely developed. The Delta could still be part of the story, potentially in a more grandiose way since most characters would be talking about the way they're fighting. Just better world-building overall.

• *about the war they're fighting

Ghetsis posted: »

Honestly, the road trip option seems best, but not the 'moving goal' thing where AJ isn't present for most of the season.This is mainly beca

• edited March 2019

Yeah, change it so AJ is more of a focus and I think it would have been pretty set. Sadly Im one of those who doesnt care that much about Clem and AJ's relationship. It just feels like poor man's Lee and Clem, minus all the parts that actually make you bond with the character, cuz unlike season 1 where we actually bond with Clem, TFS for me feels like its going "yeah so you better love AJ or else" which is a bit disappointing. All I know is if this game ends similar to season 1 where Clem is dying and giving last words to AJ, Im not going to feel much.

(also the school was originally going to be destroyed after ep 1, but I think we can assume the main cast would be the same seeing as they said they kept the main cast. What I would have done with the situation would be Marlon and Brody die, then the nobodies die as well, only people who escape are Clem, Violet, Louis, AJ, and Tenn, conveniently fitting the 5 person car. However if I had to guess original plot probably had it so Clem was at the Ranch and bonded with AJ there and we would be given flashbacks to interact with him and the main plot would be finding him via the car. That all being said, there would still be a supporting cast more than just Clem and AJ, as the kids I said who would be in the car would be in the car. (or maybe even it would be Marlon, Violet, Louis, Tenn, and Clem and Marlon wasn't going to be bad. It would fit how they were the 4 characters shown and told to be important and those 4 + Clem = 5 people in the 5 person car looking for AJ)

Honestly, the road trip option seems best, but not the 'moving goal' thing where AJ isn't present for most of the season.This is mainly beca

• Omg I fucking hate when that happens. RIP my dude, I know the feeling.

I just wrote the best essay in my life in response to this, it was so good and I was so proud of it. Poof. Darn it why didn't it save. I might write it again but I'm not bothered anymore, half an hour is a lot in today's world.

• I kinda hope one day we get a full synopsis of what Final Season was going to be.

Oh no.... not again. It’s “What was S2/ANF’s original story? I bet it was better then what we got.” all over again.

• S2 had ADULTS in adult situations

More like fucking moronic ADULTS in adult situations where Clementine does everything for them because they’re incompetent af.

TFS has kids wooping adults

You’re acting like the kids completely destroyed the adults when in actuality they were barely able to defeat them and got caught in their own explosion.

S2 writing was a jumbled mess, TFS writing is just wrong and doesn't even resmeble writing

I’m currently pressing X to doubt.

you couldn't even call it fan fiction! it would be a disservice to fans, this is worst of the lot.

I don’t understand, I think you got some typos my dude.

• edited March 2019

Anyone else think an ending where both Clem and AJ leave the school and go on the road again is possible?

One of the leaked achievements for the final episode just gave me that feeling.

• edited March 2019

More like fucking moronic ADULTS in adult situations where Clementine does everything for them because they’re incompetent af.

That's a less of a problem than being around a stupid fucking piece of shit cocksuckers like Gabe and Kate. Plus, Season 2 characters are better written characters than Lilly in Final Season.

S2 had ADULTS in adult situations More like fucking moronic ADULTS in adult situations where Clementine does everything for them bec

• Yes, we know your views on Season Two.

Omg I fucking hate when that happens. RIP my dude, I know the feeling.

• edited March 2019

That's a less of a problem than being around a stupid fucking piece of shit cocksuckers like Gabe and Kate.

Obviously yea, I was never arguing for ANF lol. I know it’s the worst.

Plus, Season 2 characters are better written characters than Lilly in Final Season

I’m not gonna go down the Lily rabbit hole because I don’t want to type more walls of text. And picking out one character in the entire season is kinda a wack move considering Lily is only one character out of many others, the statement itself doesn’t really have weight to it especially because Carver was a shit villain as well.

Here’s what I’ll say, TFS boarding school cast is far more well written then the cabin group and the Amid the Ruins group.

AronDracula posted: »

More like fucking moronic ADULTS in adult situations where Clementine does everything for them because they’re incompetent af. That'

• Ummm... I don’t know how that relates to the comment I made but whatever.

It’s not like I despise S2, I love all these games (besides ANF) and I enjoy playing all of them. My comments may seem like I completely hate it but that’s not what I was trying to convey. I was simply pointing out how this community gives so many free passes to S2 but completely bash TFS for doing things that aren’t nearly as problematic. TWD S1, S2, and TFS are some of my favorite games and I love playing all of them.

Yes, we know your views on Season Two.

• Thing about Lilly is shes the main conflict of the season, and she makes no sense. So its not so much "this one character is wack" when the whole plot of the game's conflict is about her actions that make no sense, making the story feel like it makes no sense.

That's a less of a problem than being around a stupid fucking piece of shit cocksuckers like Gabe and Kate. Obviously yea, I was nev

• More or less this.

Thing about Lilly is shes the main conflict of the season, and she makes no sense. So its not so much "this one character is wack" when the

• I am not sure either, haa!

Ummm... I don’t know how that relates to the comment I made but whatever. It’s not like I despise S2, I love all these games (besides ANF

• The idea of the school children in the car is amazing. Just imagine. It should also be similiar to S2 in that Omid dying was Clem's fault and she couldn't change that fate, but in episode 5 you can decide kenny and Jane's fate. Now, Clem and AJ are partially responsible for the school - a safe haven and AJ's shot at a permanent home see what i did there - getting destroyed by the Delta after they don't adhere to their demands, and she has to live with that burden by not only trying again but also in trying to find a new home for these 4 kids (let's change Clem's car to a pickup truck in memory of Brody's road trip, also some good dramatic irony there since the road trip happens after she dies) who (some of them) start out somewhat bitter and reluctant but a close bond forms over time. There's pressure over being a better leader than Marlon and keeping these friends alive as the nobodies haunt Clem in her dreams.

During these first 2 episodes it's more or less Clem and AJ's relationship developing with tellings of past games' events, more sociology lessons with more things about him being established through strange characters that the group meets, like an elderly woman, a group of cannibals (slaughterhouse returns) and some good people too, maybe someone like Omid. But tensions and conflict rises as 'Delta' becomes a common term across the country and eventually Clem's group becomes caught in their dominion.

But in a twist, things actually seem great. Like the Commonwealth. Before Clem finds that Lily is in the community that destroyed her home. However, after working with this powerful new community in a Starved for Help style (only now in a more grandiose way) Clem gets caught in Lily's mission, let's say this is the third time now, and she finds out that the Delta have been enslaving children and making them child soldiers (clem does it herself) conflict culminates with Clem vs Lily (who is actually a more reasonable and less ominous-sounding person) where Lily promises Clem a long-term home for her group if she helps out in the war temporarily. Over this time the ranch storyline continues and it is here that the two come together - Clem massacred to save AJ and has kept it a secret from him. Should she do that again, especially for what it's worth? She gets to know the other side who are actually more sick people, forms an unlikely bond with a whisperer, finds out more about communities, Minerva is introduced, more choices, etc. When a tragic event happens after the major conflict is resolved, Clem is forced to choose where her family and home lie.

This season is about new beginnings, but also the past coming back to haunt you. It's about history repeating itself and cycles, and choosing to follow that cycle or break it. Carrying burdens and having to make harrowing choices on what the greater good is. Obviously this requires a slightly larger budget (but honestly an 80 person team managed to make Season 1 work, look at all the characters and environments and choices mattering there was) and more time, especially to make choices matter (relatively of course)

Yeah, change it so AJ is more of a focus and I think it would have been pretty set. Sadly Im one of those who doesnt care that much about Cl

• It def would have been a much more interesting concept for me as well, and I agree hard on your Delta idea.

Problem with Delta is just they are so obviously in the wrong that it feels unrealistic that youre fighting them. And then the game actually tries to act like they arnt all that bad because the people they are fighting are worst, but all you see the Delta do is bad shit that has 0 justification or doing shit that goes against their goal just to be evil. Maybe at one point you would join the bad guys, but maybe they thought it was too similar to ANF with Clem joining bad guys. (Even though ANF was shit and writers couldnt figure out if all of ANF was evil or if actually all of ANF is good people with 3 bad eggs, but then a mob breaks out and then you try to save the same mob that tried killing you)

The idea of the school children in the car is amazing. Just imagine. It should also be similiar to S2 in that Omid dying was Clem's fault an

• Thing about Lilly is shes the main conflict of the season, and she makes no sense. So its not so much "this one character is wack" when the whole plot of the game's conflict is about her actions that make no sense, making the story feel like it makes no sense.

Personally I think her motives are believable and make sense for the most part. Of course, making a statement such as this around here gets you lynched, that’s why I’ve been generally trying to avoid getting into arguments about her character because they go on forever and this topic in particular always ends up being a never ending argument, I’m just sick of arguing over it as well. I do believe they could’ve used her character in a more interesting way, I just don’t think she’s unrealistic like some people think or make her out to be.

Thing about Lilly is shes the main conflict of the season, and she makes no sense. So its not so much "this one character is wack" when the

• Thing about the Delta is that they're feel like their supposed to be assholes who became so drastically rough because they're fighting even bigger assholes. Except that they've still become assholes, which with the small exposits of their motivation should've made it a conflict where there are two threats: the bad guys who have personally been fucking with you and the evil guys who may wanna fuck everyone up.

The New Frontier was sorta similar except that the fact that they are bad is supposed to be more of an outsider thing--in truth, they were only a couple of either extremist and/or truly rowdy underlings taking extreme measures on the secret approval of an influential co-leader, who in turn was supposed to be trying to desperately attain a well-intentioned goal in spite of the compromises to everything else.

The problem in either case is that the storytelling suddenly shifted to have the acting Big Bad be as cheaply despicable as possible because "that's authentic to The Walking Dead" or because they simply decided they couldn't/wouldn't go all the way through with it.

It def would have been a much more interesting concept for me as well, and I agree hard on your Delta idea. Problem with Delta is just th

• Its not even so much unrealistic, its just how she conflicts her goal so many times.

Only so many times you can watch her go "We are taking these kids to be soldiers!" and then try to kill a kid because they didnt kill her.

• I kinda disagree. as much as I like seasons 1 and 2 at least in the final season no one really fights and argues with each other. season two's group was horrible because of that. they were always arguing with each other. that really annoyed me.

• ...that was what made season 1 and 2 better, it focused on conflict within your own group instead of the generic "us vs the very obviously bad people."

I kinda disagree. as much as I like seasons 1 and 2 at least in the final season no one really fights and argues with each other. season two's group was horrible because of that. they were always arguing with each other. that really annoyed me.

• All survivor groups get into heated disagreements and debates.

I kinda disagree. as much as I like seasons 1 and 2 at least in the final season no one really fights and argues with each other. season two's group was horrible because of that. they were always arguing with each other. that really annoyed me.

• true but there is almost too much arguing. they don't have to agree on everything. if you don't agree with Kenny he'll go off on you. I do like Kenny but he's not always right about everything.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.