Console-exclusive bonuses: an open letter

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Just pretend that every informal post made by every TTG staffer is followed by "This does not represent the official views of TTG or its affiliates etc.", that's what I do and it works great.

It's great that the TTG people can come to the forums and hang out with us "lesser mortals", but it does make people go slightly crazy. Anyone who's seen the World of Warcraft forums knows what I mean. The community managers, or "blues" since they post with a blue font, can't even make personal comments without it being scrutinized and mis-quoted by at least 20 different people.

Only one or 2 of them on the American forums are actual game designers, the rest of them are forum moderators, but they all get the blame for everything.
  • edited April 2010
    Zonino wrote: »
    Oh god I just saw the tags at the bottom of the page. TTG ate my baby is awesome.
    It's been around for a while... once even leading to a discussion about how to best bred babies for consumption...
  • edited April 2010
    It's been around for a while... once even leading to a discussion about how to best bred babies for consumption...
    Well, baby eating-related tags have been around for a while. "TTG ate my baby" specifically only shows up on this thread(since clicking a tag will bring up every thread tagged with it).
  • edited April 2010
    Yes... the other one was "telltale eats babies"...

And here's the madness Nikasaur innitiated:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15370&page=17
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    For us it comes down to a balance between complete transparency and the joy of surprising people with something extra, unexpected, and good. With the Penal Zone launch we clearly landed too far away from the "transparency" side with a few of the initiatives, some of the communication was confusing, and it pissed people off because they perceived the "extra stuff nobody was expecting in the first place" as them being "ripped off."

I guess the lesson learned here could be "Don't surprise people, and don't include any 'extra stuff' with your game, lest the people who are getting different 'extra stuff,' or are getting 'just' what they paid for originally, get pissed off about it," because it seems like that's what every "fan" on the internet's first reaction is: to be outraged that we're providing extra content beyond what was originally advertised. Free DVDs, extra psychic powers, hats for Team Fortress, discounts, entire additional platforms to release the game on, etc. How dare we. Telltale is becoming evil!

Fortunately for everyone, we like making awesome surprising stuff too much to stick to that suggestion (or that insinuation) too tightly. Therefore, the real takeaway is to try, in the future, to get the balance right between transparency and surprise, so the surprises don't backfire and throw people into rages they regret when they calm down, or when we either "fix it" or reveal that they weren't left out in the cold after all. It's just as disappointing/frustrating for us as it is for you guys when something we think will be a fun super cool surprise fills our forum with people accusing us of being jerks!

I don't quite know how to do that -- I think the TF2 thing would have been way less fun (for the people who weren't outraged, outraged! by it) if we had announced that a month and a half ago, for instance. It would have been slightly boring in fact. But it would have made fewer people start writhing around on the ground in pain.
  • edited April 2010
    I think the people who are genuinely angry are a pretty small minority so carry on as you where TTG.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Yes, please continue doing the things that make you awesome and unique.

*clap your hands if you believe in telltale*
    edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I think the people who are genuinely angry are a pretty small minority so carry on as you where TTG.

No there is a definite issue here, I just don't think the issue is exactly what people say it is (and, agreed, I don't think it's as big an issue as people try to make it out to be). When people are upset you have to look at it as them telling you a problem (even if they think they are providing you with a solution and are screaming that solution at you in all caps). Obviously some of the surprise content didn't sit well with people, so we need to figure out how to do that in a way that does sit better. The solutions provided have been "give everyone everything [sometimes technically impossible]" or "tell us everything first [making there be no surprise and therefore no effectiveness as a promotional tool, or as a way to get even existing customers re-excited as launch gets closer]" or, as I said, the inevitable throw-up-your-hands takeaway we could take as a developer, "I guess just don't do these anymore [the worst, but easiest, solution if this is the behavior it triggers]."

None of those, however, are good solutions, and they would treat the symptom, not the cause. So we'll take this back into our cave and hopefully with our next launch, do equally cool stuff, but tweaked slightly to be seen from a different angle that doesn't bounce off people in a way that ticks them off.

Of course, this is the Internet, so some people will always be pissed off, and that has to be taken into account, but hey.

For instance, I agree with ATMachine that its odd that nothing was said about the NutriSpecs for PC at all even while PS3 players are using them. If our plan all along had been "don't give PC users nutrispecs," we could have at least answered for that, had our reasons, and taken our lumps. Instead, we had something that we thought was far cooler than the PS3 unlock system for PC users, but we went wholly silent on it, and also failed to actually put up the content teasing that it would exist until well after people had already played through their PS3 copies multiple times with the unlock. That's sloppy, and something we could easily fix in the future.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    For instance, I agree with ATMachine that its odd that nothing was said about the NutriSpecs for PC at all even while PS3 players are using them. If our plan all along had been "don't give PC users nutrispecs," we could have at least answered for that, had our reasons, and taken our lumps. Instead, we had something that we thought was far cooler than the PS3 unlock system for PC users, but we went wholly silent on it, and also failed to actually put up the content teasing that it would exist until well after people had already played through their PS3 copies multiple times with the unlock. That's sloppy, and something we could easily fix in the future.

cool.

to me that was the issue. Surprises are cool and welcome, but it doesn't work if you continue keeping it secret for most platforms when it was already revealed on one.
    But yeah, you got it. so, cool. and i'm looking forward to how it will be handled for the pc version and generally in the future.

thank you for clearing it all up btw.
  • edited April 2010
    I've been avoiding the Sam and Max forums because, well, I can't play it (:( :( waaaaaa :( :() but as I find the idea of not being able to take part in the forums almost worse than not playing, I've been reading more and more threads that look like they won't be too spoilerish.

I just want to say that you guys are awesome and I love you very, very much. And I totally hear you on trying to keep things a surprise.
    I don't know what you can do that will make things better, but I want to give the whole company a big hug because you rock and fill my days with happiness and bouncy, fluffy rainbows.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm personally in favor of equal but non-identical bonuses for different platforms, when they make sense. For instance:

Link in the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur 2, with other semi-relevant characters for the other consoles: Cool

Yoda and Darth Vader exclusive to different versions of Soul Calibur 4: Not cool

See, in the first case it made some sense, Link was a lot of fun to play as, and since it wouldn't be possible to license Nintendo's character for use on other consoles, they sought out other cool exclusives for the other consoles.

The Star Wars character thing doesn't make sense at all, since there's no reason why they couldn't appear in the same version (and of course later they were sold as DLC, so for an extra five dollars you could unlock the other character, real classy).

Another cool example was the free DLC in Guitar Hero 3, where PS3 got the God of War theme, and Xbox 360 got the Halo theme. It's a shame that Wii wasn't really supporting DLC at that time, as something from F-Zero or Metroid would have been really awesome there, but overlooking that, it's a rather balanced cross-promotion that makes sense in the context.

So yeah, not sure if anything quite that specific would ever apply to Telltale, but I mean if the TF2 items had been exclusive to Steam, that would have been fine by me, since TF2 is Valve's game. I would appreciate a similar but not necessarily identical bonus for Telltale purchasers (unlocking Sam's suit as a bonus costume for Guybrush in TMI, yes!) but the TTG store version already has a lot of bonuses that Steam doesn't get, so I wouldn't have been offended either way.
  • edited April 2010
    When I read post like that one of Jake, I think Telltale is one of the best out company there.
    The honesty and humilty that he puts in his work is beautiful.

They work so hard trying to make us happy, and if they don't succed it their primary goal is failed. Few companies work like that - think about derivative games, or games with shallow content, ecc.
    So I truly believe that every surprise that fails make them unhappy.

Let's face it, sometimes we overreact to things. Instead of being happy of a surprise, we suddenly go anger and ask "where's my stack?" if it's not for our platform.
    Let's calm down boys.

I think that now we have to understand how Telltale work. They are almost unique (or rare at least) to have such a direct relationship with players. And they are kind with us.

Jake, please keep in mind that people who write here and complains may not know you and how you work. Players are often treated "not so well" by major game companies: IE "Mass Effect II" for PC is cheaper than PS3; "Assassin's creed II" got extra content for PC that other version doesn't have; "Fifa 2010" had an older 3d engine than the console version; and I can count infinite disparities cases between versions and behaviours in respect of the customers. And because we aren't used to that kindness, we are always fearing that you do the same - try to steal as much money as possible.

But you don't.
    You are loyal.

People will understand that, just keep working as you do. Keep in mind that you work in a new manner (episodic, digital delivery, ecc.) and people is new to this, and you are setting the way for the new Videogame Era.
    And that people is frightened because it's all too shiny here to be true. :)

We, as players, have to understand that Telltale respect us and everything they do is intended to please us and that they hate disparities. So if they fail, we can *kindly* tell them our problem - with the same kindness they use with us.

And we have to understand that we can trust Telltale and their choices, and sometimes to be less childish.
    Because TT respect us.
  • edited April 2010
    Dammit Eugene, now my post pales in comparison to yours.

I was trying so hard to express how I felt, but sometimes...

*sighs*
  • edited April 2010
    No there is a definite issue here, I just don't think the issue is exactly what people say it is (and, agreed, I don't think it's as big an issue as people try to make it out to be). When people are upset you have to look at it as them telling you a problem (even if they think they are providing you with a solution and are screaming that solution at you in all caps). Obviously some of the surprise content didn't sit well with people, so we need to figure out how to do that in a way that does sit better. The solutions provided have been "give everyone everything [sometimes technically impossible]" or "tell us everything first [making there be no surprise and therefore no effectiveness as a promotional tool, or as a way to get even existing customers re-excited as launch gets closer]" or, as I said, the inevitable throw-up-your-hands takeaway we could take as a developer, "I guess just don't do these anymore [the worst, but easiest, solution if this is the behavior it triggers]."

None of those, however, are good solutions, and they would treat the symptom, not the cause. So we'll take this back into our cave and hopefully with our next launch, do equally cool stuff, but tweaked slightly to be seen from a different angle that doesn't bounce off people in a way that ticks them off.

Of course, this is the Internet, so some people will always be pissed off, and that has to be taken into account, but hey.

We love you Jake.
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Dammit Eugene, now my post pales in comparison to yours.

I was trying so hard to express how I felt, but sometimes...

*sighs*

Our posts are exactly the same: a HUGE hug to all Telltale team that, although work hard to make us happy, sometimes gets almost childishly criticized.
  • edited April 2010
    Okay, let's all have a group hug.

*group hugs*
  • edited April 2010
    I guess the lesson learned here could be "Don't surprise people, and don't include any 'extra stuff' with your game, lest the people who are getting different 'extra stuff,' or are getting 'just' what they paid for originally, get pissed off about it," because it seems like that's what every "fan" on the internet's first reaction is: to be outraged that we're providing extra content beyond what was originally advertised. Free DVDs, extra psychic powers, hats for Team Fortress, discounts, entire additional platforms to release the game on, etc. How dare we. Telltale is becoming evil!

Look this is basically my view on it. However, if you started doing awesome stuff like this and then stopped because a couple guys were being a little bitch about it, then to hell with you. There now you know you'll have one customer bitching at you from now on if you do stop doing these awesome things, so take that into consideration as well. Otherwise, keep in mind that plenty of people know you're a good company who takes its customers into consideration, and you aren't universally hated the way people make you look in topics like this.

There's a point where people need to learn how to be content, and look at what they already have instead of bitching because they don't have everything else as well. There have always been exclusives from the beginning of time, and people getting things others couldn't have. Well you know what, instead of CONTINUALLY BITCHING about what you haven't got, take a step back and take a look at what you do have, and if you can't be content now, you never will be.

From the beginning that I've seen this company you've always done what you could to make people happy. That's wonderful, and you wouldn't do that if you were an "evil company". If these so called "loyal customers" knew this company at all, then they would know that and they wouldn't be so quick to change their opinion every damn day, so to hell with them too, the bloody hypocrites. Oh and one more thing to those "loyal customers". Don't your asses get sore at all from crapping bricks so much?
  • edited April 2010
    I'm starting to think that maybe "evil companies" are just nice companies that got fed up with the growing amount of bitching every time they tried to be nice, as they got more and more customers and therefore more and more rage complainers, and who just aren't trying to be nice anymore.
    edited April 2010
    I'm starting to think that maybe "evil companies" are just nice companies that got fed up with the growing amount of bitching every time they tried to be nice, as they got more and more customers and therefore more and more rage complainers, and who just aren't trying to be nice anymore.

No, most of them are probably evil.
  • edited April 2010
    No, most of them are probably evil.

Do they have giant swimming pools filled with money (and the blood/sweat/tears of their enemies)?
  • edited April 2010
    Man... I only have a bath tub filled with all that... I fail at life.
    edited April 2010
    Do they have giant swimming pools filled with money (and the blood/sweat/tears of their enemies)?

scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    Doing Nice stuff if a tricky thing: If it's do it in a certain amount, it's pretty cool, but go overboard and you totally spoil the people. I think is the second part right now.
  • edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    go overboard and you totally spoil the people.

Or they put a restraining order on you.

NO, I'm not over it yet.
  • edited April 2010
    Or they put a restraining order on you.

On the internet?
    NO, I'm not over it yet.

Don't worry, I have a couple of tranquilizers in my pocket if somebody goes overboard.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Don't worry, I have a couple of tranquilizers in my pocket if somebody goes overboard.

Don't worry, I got one of these if somebody goes overboard.

life_ring.jpg

Gotcha covered, guys.
  • edited April 2010
    These are way more effective.

0603-lifesavers.jpg
  • edited April 2010

Well look at this way; when you release the DVD version you can update the bonus content level so that we can have the stuff we couldn't have on the PC.
  • edited April 2010
    These are way more effective.

0603-lifesavers.jpg

Dammit, Fawful, now I want those.
  • edited April 2010
    Wow, people whining about people whining. This thread is very amusing! I probably speak for the one other person who bought this for PS3, but I actually would have been glad to see this be exclusive. I pre-ordered it for the price and to be all superior ('IiIeE played it on a TeeVee! The way it was MEANT to be played!'), but I have to say I felt kind of screwed over when the TF2 items were announced. Had I known that before, I would have purchased it on my mac, and hooked it up to the projector to play in evil, evil SD! Regardless, I'm not exactly happy. Maybe I'm just being ungrateful, but can't you get a personalized code through the PS3 game to redeem for internet items? I mean, netflix did the random code thing for their disc, so why not Telltale? I'm not being snarky with that question, I'd just like to know.
  • edited April 2010
    ig0rpwnwEd wrote: »
    ...and to be all superior ('IiIeE played it on a TeeVee! The way it was MEANT to be played!')
    Ha, it was obviously meant to be played on PC! Also, I don't know about everybody, but my computer hooks into the television through an HDMI cable. I played on a television, with a gamepad. I'm also getting the DVD, the Elite Forces membership bonuses, the TF2 items, and whatever promo with the NutriSpecs that the PC users get.

You did get it five dollars cheaper, though! :D
  • edited April 2010
    ig0rpwnwEd wrote: »
    Wow, people whining about people whining. This thread is very amusing! I probably speak for the one other person who bought this for PS3, but I actually would have been glad to see this be exclusive. I pre-ordered it for the price and to be all superior ('IiIeE played it on a TeeVee! The way it was MEANT to be played!'), but I have to say I felt kind of screwed over when the TF2 items were announced. Had I known that before, I would have purchased it on my mac, and hooked it up to the projector to play in evil, evil SD! Regardless, I'm not exactly happy. Maybe I'm just being ungrateful, but can't you get a personalized code through the PS3 game to redeem for internet items? I mean, netflix did the random code thing for their disc, so why not Telltale? I'm not being snarky with that question, I'd just like to know.

Because both are different companies distributing the game? I mean, Telltale Developed the Game, but the Stores where you and me brought the game are different. Because they are really nice they get a way to obtain the items using a code, but all the stores are of different people and use a different system. I mean, they can do it here because they own the store, but they can't do it in a store is not of them.

But, put it in this way: You haven't lose anything with that. You haven't win something, but you haven't lose anything either. While it's true it would be nice, you still are getting exactly what you paid for, and they aren't screwing you.

Now, if you're paying for the PS3 version just because you believed will be the Best Version and now it's not, I get how you feel, but, at the same time, it's just silly demand your version be again the best one under your standarts. I though I will be one of the first people to play the game, but the release for the iPad screw that. Then, I wasn't asking or demanding to get my version soon, because I was still getting what I paid for. My expectatives of exclusivity were mine only, and Telltale never actually promised to keep something like that. So, while I was a bit frustrated, morally I had nothing to do. That frustration get over after 2 days. And I get a great game exactly like they promise me. So, what's the problem?

And, still, they promise you a great game and it's there. Bonus are bonus and nothing else. If I obtain a bonus awesome, but if I'm not, oh well, the game is great and nothing can change that now (Unless the next chapters sucks, but I don't think so =P).
  • edited April 2010
    Also, I don't know about everybody, but my computer hooks into the television through an HDMI cable.

I'm the opposite. I have a splitter set up so I can run what's on my TV through my computer. Also, my monitor has an HDMI port, but it's the only thing in the house that does.

Also, I have all this mess either daisy chained or hooked into three different switchboxes so that it's all hooked up to one TV at once. But none of that has anything to do with playing Sam & Max on the TV.
  • edited April 2010
    Also, I have all this mess either daisy chained or hooked into three different switchboxes so that it's all hooked up to one TV at once. But none of that has anything to do with playing Sam & Max on the TV.

I finally understand the true purpose of oddly shaped bookshelves. (semi-)Archaic video game collections. Also, stop cheating at Genesis.
    edited April 2010

If that shelf had a backing to hide all those cords that would look really neat! It looks kind of insane with the cords though.
  • edited April 2010
    Just pretend that every informal post made by every TTG staffer is followed by "This does not represent the official views of TTG or its affiliates etc.", that's what I do and it works great.

But that's simply not true. There's often no solid line between individual opinions and opinions as a company's employee. And anyway, you may use the above approach, and you can convince people to adopt it, but at first glance, most people will see the TTG logo next to a name, and they identify the person with the company.

@Jake: great posts - I've always appreciated this approach in Telltale (where's the respect emoticon? :) )
  • edited April 2010
    If that shelf had a backing to hide all those cords that would look really neat! It looks kind of insane with the cords though.

I know, I wish I could do something about it. My best idea is to somehow secure them in such a way that they run along the shelf edges, or at the very least try and tie them together so it's more like one big cord. Cord management is an incredibly difficult thing! It does help that my room is usually fairly dimly lit, though, so the cords aren't so noticeable.
    Avel wrote: »
    I finally understand the true purpose of oddly shaped bookshelves. (semi-)Archaic video game collections. Also, stop cheating at Genesis.

You must be mistaken, there is no cheating device
    (visible)
    in that picture. If you're referring to what's in the cartridge slot, that's Sonic 3 plugged into Sonic & Knuckles. Also, I've added a 32X to the Genesis since that picture was taken. I've had the 32X and three games for it for the last ten years, but I only recently got the cable I needed to hook it up. And all three games sucked.

Yes, I am fully aware that the only reason the Game Genie is not visible in that picture is because it's being obscured by its own codebook. I swear, I haven't used the thing in years.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm the opposite. I have a splitter set up so I can run what's on my TV through my computer.
    Wait, why do you do that? I'm sure there's a valid reason to, I just don't know what it could be.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm the opposite. I have a splitter set up so I can run what's on my TV through my computer. Also, my monitor has an HDMI port, but it's the only thing in the house that does.

you call that a mess? PAH! i'll show you a mess:
    http://img163.imageshack.us/i/img1558c.jpg/
    http://img163.imageshack.us/i/img1557i.jpg/

let's see:
    speakers are connected to a VGA box
    Wii is connected through component to a VGA box which is connected with a VGA cable to the PC screen
    Xbox 360 is connected through HDMI to the PC screen and the PC screens audio is connected to the VGA box.
    PC is connected through DVI to the PC screen and through VGA to a second PC screen and the audio is connected to the VGA box.
    PS2 is connected through s-video to the PC's tv card
    Gamecube and N64 are connected alternatively through composite to the PC's tv card.
  • edited April 2010
    Wait, why do you do that? I'm sure there's a valid reason to, I just don't know what it could be.

Screen or video capture. Actually, the only reason I use the splitter is because my TV card has a lag on it and I don't like using the lag calibration settings in Rock Band (though there's only been one instance where I wanted to take a video of Rock Band for any reason).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.