Console-exclusive bonuses: an open letter

Comments

• edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    But, put it in this way: You haven't lose lost anything with that. You haven't win won something, anything but you haven't lose lost anything either.

(Don't forget to use the past participle form after "have" (or "had"), and "anything" with a negative)

On topic, I find the whole thing crazy. As far as I'm concerned, allowing PC people to get a refund and buy it on Steam, while the promotion was still going on, was already quite enough on Telltale part. They went an extra mile and gave the game on Steam to everyone who bought the PC one, and now it's PS3 people who are upset they're not getting it.

While I can somewhat understand PC people being upset they don't get some bonuses ("we were loyal and bought it from the company itself, and now we get less stuff!"), I truly don't get it for people who made the choice to buy it from somewhere else, which will give Telltale less money if I've followed. Of course they should prefer for people to buy it on PC/Mac, if it means they get more out of it. Just makes sense to me. Plus when they're distributing it themselves they can be in charge of what bonuses go into it, which they can't really control completely for the other versions I assume ( guess I could be wrong).

Anyway, I don't see why people think it's "punishing" them or "giving them the finger" or anything. These bonus things might be nice, but they're hardly required to enjoy the game, they're just extra things that are put there to be nice. There is absolutely no reason why it should "force" you to buy all versions so you can get all bonuses. If you do it's your choice.

Anyway, I hope that won't prevent Telltale from planning nice surprises and stuff. I found the TF2 thing awesome even though it wasn't for PCs (at the time) and I don't even play TF2 to begin with. And hey, look, you need to own TF2 to get the bonus! How unfair, I should get a free copy of TF2 so I can get the items! Why are we non-TF2 people always getting the short end of the stick?
  • edited April 2010
    Here I was, thinking it was us TTG-clients that were all greedy and evil and "me me me" and here people from Steam crawl from the woodworks screaming:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo.... don't give them TF2 items!
    And then the PS3 crowd following, screaming to us...
    NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo.... don't give them nutricient specs!

Oh darn... I am all confused now. Who's evil? Who's greedy? Who got me-complexes? Halp?

(PS. On the TV discussion going on too, I have not a single TV in the entire house. Top that!)
  • edited April 2010
    (PS. On the TV discussion going on too, I have not a single TV in the entire house. Top that!)

There was a TV discussion?

I have a TV set with no actual TV, that is it doesn't play channels. But it plays DVDs and game, and I wouldn't appreciate having to go without it.
    Haven't had channels since... 2007 maybe? Or the end of 2006. Can't say I miss it, either.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, the TV hooked up on PC stuff etc.

And I just watch DVD's on my PC.
  • edited April 2010
    And I just watch DVD's on my PC.

I sometimes do, but I also like watching DVDs on the couch while eating, which is harder to do when you risk putting food on your computer and you need to use a mouse rather than a remote (which also means you usually need to be closer to it).

Usually I only watch DVDs on the comp if I'm watching them alone.
  • edited April 2010
    Ehm, why would PC watching require mouse-input at all? It's a movie, it runs... :confused:

Also, no reason why you can't watch the PC from the bench, if properly placed. In my old house I watched DVD's on my PC lying on my bed, but now I have a bigger house, and the PC and bed are in different rooms, making that a lot harder :( (it was convient...)
  • edited April 2010
    Here I was, thinking it was us TTG-clients that were all greedy and evil and "me me me" and here people from Steam crawl from the woodworks screaming:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo.... don't give them TF2 items!
    And then the PS3 crowd following, screaming to us...
    NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo.... don't give them nutricient specs!

Oh darn... I am all confused now. Who's evil? Who's greedy? Who got me-complexes? Halp?

In my defence, I didn't outright state that you shouldn't get TF2 items if you didn't buy from Steam, it was more the Steam people should get a little something extra too :P

Also you have no TV's?! How is that possible? In my house we have one in every room except the bathroom.
  • edited April 2010
    Zonino wrote: »

Also you have no TV's?! How is that possible? In my house we have one in every room except the bathroom.

The bathroom is the only room I have a TV in
  • edited April 2010
    Ehm, why would PC watching require mouse-input at all? It's a movie, it runs... :confused:

Well, to pause it of course. I can't remember ever watching a DVD without pausing it at least once.
    And if you're watching a show, to select the next episode you want to watch or something.
    Also, no reason why you can't watch the PC from the bench, if properly placed.

Well it's a work computer so it's in the office, pretty much the opposite way from the living room. So that when one of us is working, the other one playing a videogame isn't disturbing.

As for my laptop, it's kinda small for more than one person and it would need to be put on something, and we don't have a table. Maybe we could go get an end table from the bedroom but that becomes kind of complicated.
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    (Don't forget to use the past participle form after "have" (or "had"), and "anything" with a negative)

Hey, I didn't know that! Thanks!
  • edited April 2010
    Hey, I didn't know that! Thanks!

No problem :) These are the irregular ones, for regular verbs the past participle is the same as the simple past tense (Base + (e)d).
    Assuming you were talking about that, of course :p.
  • edited April 2010
    No problem :) These are the irregular ones, for regular verbs the past participle is the same as the simple past tense (Base + (e)d).
    Assuming you were talking about that, of course :p.

No. The "had" part.
  • edited April 2010
    I haven't watched an actual TV signal in ages. Oh, I watch TV shows ON A TELEVISION, but instead of being run from a satalite, cable box, or antenna, it's just my computer using the TV as a monitor playing Hulu or SouthParkStudios or some network's web site.

I watch a lot less television than I used to this way. It's cheaper and its on my schedule. When I move into the city where the antenna signal is better I may grab a TV tuner card for my PC to let me record over-the-air stuff, but I may not even bother.
  • edited April 2010
    No. The "had" part.

Oh, the "had" is for the past perfect, the past version of present perfect. Like, you'd say "I have been on the forums for a year", and if you put that in the past "at the time, I had been on the forums for a year".

English tenses are tricky though because they have little to do with the roman ones.
  • edited April 2010
    Oh, the "had" is for the past perfect, the past version of present perfect. Like, you'd say "I have been on the forums for a year", and if you put that in the past "at the time, I had been on the forums for a year".

English tenses are tricky though because they have little to do with the roman ones.
    The most confusing thing about English grammar is the names for the different times though. :p
  • edited April 2010
    Didero wrote: »
    The most confusing thing about English grammar is the names for the different times though. :p

Well. "Perfect" means "past", it's the case in roman languages too (at least some of them). "Present perfect" is the tense that's for something that's present AND past (that is, started a while back and is still accurate, or is the result of an action don before. Such as "I have played the piano for five years" or "This window has been opened".) "Past perfect" is the past version of "present perfect" for something that's past AND more past :p
    The names themselves seem pretty straightforward to me. The way the tenses are used, not so much since it's so different from French.

Of course, French tenses are more complicated for an English speaker than the other way around, but still.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, to pause it of course. I can't remember ever watching a DVD without pausing it at least once.
    And if you're watching a show, to select the next episode you want to watch or something.
    Hooray for remote controls - my soundcard (Creative X-Fi Platinum) came with an infrared remote that has it's sensor in the card's front bay and basically is a MIDI device. Of course I still had to write an AutoHotkey script turning those MIDI messages into keypresses, but hey it works...

np: Gonjasufi - Advice (A Sufi And A Killer)
  • edited April 2010
    I almost never pause.
    As for series; "Watch all" is your friend. Usually there are about 4 on a disk (well, for the series I buy DVD's from...)
  • edited April 2010
    Also, there are remote controls for computers.
  • edited April 2010
    I almost never pause.
    As for series; "Watch all" is your friend. Usually there are about 4 on a disk (well, for the series I buy DVD's from...)
    in 90 minutes or more you don't have to go to the bathroom or get a snack?
    many DVDs don't have a "Watch all". I'm currently watching the x-files and have to choose and watch every episode seperately
  • edited April 2010
    No, and I get the snack(s) in advance.

You can't hold up 90 minutes? Must be hell going to cinema...
  • edited April 2010
    You can't hold up 90 minutes? Must be hell going to cinema...
    *thinks for a second* mh, i can!

but the thing is, at home i don't have to :P
  • edited April 2010
    I almost never pause during a film or TV show marathon run. I have this whole pretentious desire to "not break the flow of the film", among other pretentious preferences.
  • edited April 2010
    I almost never pause.

You seem to assume I'll want to watch all of them in order as opposed to watching my favourite ones :P

For 40-minute episodes, I can believe there would be only 4, but for 20 minute episodes, there are often 6 or 8 of them.
    Also, I like changing the volume. I mean, it must sound weird, but it seems rare for DVDs to be the same volume the whole way, I keep having to turn it up and down so it's audible but not too loud.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, I was more assuming a new series DVD, where you probably don't have a favorite you know yet and will watch them in order.

And nope; Don't get that with DVD's...
  • edited April 2010
    Any American stuff seems to be louder during the opening and after each commercial break, so I need to turn the sound down then back up, it's annoying :p
  • edited April 2010
    Ha, it was obviously meant to be played on PC! Also, I don't know about everybody, but my computer hooks into the television through an HDMI cable. I played on a television, with a gamepad. I'm also getting the DVD, the Elite Forces membership bonuses, the TF2 items, and whatever promo with the NutriSpecs that the PC users get.

You did get it five dollars cheaper, though! :D
    I thought it was clear I don't want the DVD (the season 2 one = lacking) or the bonus forum. I just would have made a different choice given the TF2 items and it's annoying that PC buyers get this awesome exclusive thing, and we get the satisfaction of playing on a TV with my gamepad (I don't have a mac HDMI cable or a mac gamepad and I won't pony up around $80.) It's odd that Telltale wants to put their games on everything with a chip in it, but they don't want to offer much of an incentive.
    Because both are different companies distributing the game? I mean, Telltale Developed the Game, but the Stores where you and me brought the game are different. Because they are really nice they get a way to obtain the items using a code, but all the stores are of different people and use a different system. I mean, they can do it here because they own the store, but they can't do it in a store is not of them.
    I'm not sure about that, because if you have tried the netflix disc, it just randomly makes you a code, it doesn't give you an order number or anything, and I would like to see Telltale test that out.
    Now, if you're paying for the PS3 version just because you believed will be the Best Version and now it's not, I get how you feel, but, at the same time, it's just silly demand your version be again the best one under your standarts. I though I will be one of the first people to play the game, but the release for the iPad screw that. Then, I wasn't asking or demanding to get my version soon, because I was still getting what I paid for. My expectatives of exclusivity were mine only, and Telltale never actually promised to keep something like that. So, while I was a bit frustrated, morally I had nothing to do. That frustration get over after 2 days. And I get a great game exactly like they promise me. So, what's the problem?
    It takes you two full days to move on? Okay... But this is just peeving me. I'm not demanding it to be the best version, I just wish I knew what I wasn't getting before I bought the PS3 version. I mean, waiting a few days to play it is fine by me, I don't want a free episode, I don't want the bonus forum, and I don't wan the DVD. I just really want those TF2 items.
    And, still, they promise you a great game and it's there. Bonus are bonus and nothing else. If I obtain a bonus awesome, but if I'm not, oh well, the game is great and nothing can change that now (Unless the next chapters sucks, but I don't think so =P).
    True, but really I would have liked to pay the $5 more for those items, which I personally consider a feature rather than a bonus.
  • edited April 2010
    TTG obviously want the version in their own store to be the most attractive option, as they make the most money per copy sold that way. The console/Steam releases etc. are options if you prefer Steam's client, or don't have a PC up to par, etc. If you want the "definitive" version of every release, buy from TTG, odds are it will always be the best version.

...Except for Wallace and Gromit. Then you should buy the retail version, because the "collector's" version is junk.
    ig0rpwnwEd wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that, because if you have tried the netflix disc, it just randomly makes you a code, it doesn't give you an order number or anything, and I would like to see Telltale test that out.

The Netflix disc isn't in any way a unique copy. Every user gets the same disc. It simply generates a unique (at the time) code, in order for Netflix to find and sync your PS3 with your Netflix account. When you enter that code, Netflix is just associating the PS3 that it gave the code to with your Netflix account, totally different than a game generating a unique code in order to prove to TTG/Valve that you purchased the PS3 version of a game.
  • edited April 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    I'm so cute, ain't I?

Yup, you're still adorable ;)
  • edited April 2010

With rules like this, it makes me wonder how the English language ever got past the concept stages. :p I'm a native English speaker, and I like to think I'm adept at it, but it really is befuddling at times.
  • edited April 2010
    ShaggE wrote: »
    With rules like this, it makes me wonder how the English language ever got past the concept stages. :p I'm a native English speaker, and I like to think I'm adept at it, but it really is befuddling at times.

Hey don't coplain, you guys have it easy :p
    Seriously, i'm always amazed at how simple english grammar actually is. That's the language's biggest strenght, in my opinion.
    FFrench is completely fucked up by comparison, and i'm sure it's far from being the worst one as far as complicated goes.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Bunnyman wrote: »
    Aside from the big hints the TTG team is dropping, I'm guessing this episode might have what the Launch of the Screaming Narwal had, a treasue hunting game.

I really hope that's not what sets the example. In fact, the treasure hunting game of ToMI was in-cre-di-bly lame. However, as far as I can tell, the specs are only a very, very tiny extra for PS3 players (they have "achievements" also, but I really don't see how this could have been an improvement to the PC version. In fact, I'm very glad this stuff stayed out.). So, essentially, to beat the console versions, the promised PC extras do not actually have to be that great. :D

I'll stay tuned - and thanks to TTG in advance!
  • edited April 2010
    Hey don't coplain, you guys have it easy :p
    Seriously, i'm always amazed at how simple english grammar actually is. That's the language's biggest strenght, in my opinion.
    FFrench is completely fucked up by comparison, and i'm sure it's far from being the worst one as far as complicated goes.

You guys who speak Romance languages get my sympathy, haha. As strange and unnecessary as some of our rules are, Having to separate every other thing into it's masculine or feminine form... youch.

I'm trying to learn Spanish, and I tend to trip up on that quite a bit. I have the "-o" vs. "-a" down, but it's still a bit of an alien concept.
  • edited April 2010
    You guys who speak Romance languages get my sympathy, haha. As strange and unnecessary as some of our rules are, Having to separate every other thing into it's masculine or feminine form... youch.

I'm trying to learn Spanish, and I tend to trip up on that quite a bit. I have the "-o" vs. "-a" down, but it's still a bit of an alien concept.

It's easy when you've grown up with it. But don't ever ask me to explain why those things work like that or i'll feel completely illiterate.
  • edited April 2010
    But don't ever ask me to explain why those things work like that or i'll feel completely illiterate.

ICP-magnets.jpg?1271086413

(not sure how many will get that joke)
  • edited April 2010
    You guys who speak Romance languages get my sympathy, haha.

No, YOU get my sympathies. WE didn't have to learn them the hard way :P

I agree English grammar is relatively simple, but it has tricky points. What I mean is that the basics are easy to grasp and you become understandable easily, but as soon as you get more into details, then it's pretty hard to know what to make of it. Modals just don't make sense to me.

What trickiest about English though is the pronunciation for sure. It just doesn't seem to have any basis or correlation to the spelling. I took phonetics and phonology classes, and most of the rules are along the lines of a short rule with dozens of exceptions and then a list of exceptions to the exceptions.

A lot of English people think French spelling vs pronunciation makes no sense, but French is, much, much more consistent. In English forums for books or comics I keep seeing people ask "how do you pronounce so and so's name?" but in French, I can assure you that when you see a name, you know how to pronounce it in 99% of the cases. Same with new words. It has lots of rules but they're, well, consistent, unlike English.

Of course, many other languages are more straightforward than French for pronunciation. Spanish, for instance, or Italian. Italian has some weird combinations (gli = "lyi", ci = "tsh", and so on) but they're consistent too, so it's just about learning the rules.

On the other hand, it's only recently that I learned that "gnome", "xylophone" and "psychology" start with a silent letter (or, in the case of "xylophone", half a silent letter). I was pronouncing them for years!
  • edited April 2010
    all those rules... i don't know most of them for any of the languages i can speak (portuguese, german and english), i just speak and write them how it feels right.

never managed to learn french though. i really sucked at it in school. mon français est terrible. Je ne comprend pas pourquoi je ne sais pas plus de français.
  • edited April 2010
    I agree English grammar is relatively simple, but it has tricky points. What I mean is that the basics are easy to grasp and you become understandable easily, but as soon as you get more into details, then it's pretty hard to know what to make of it. Modals just don't make sense to me.
    /QUOTE]

Well, sure it'll have its trickier parts, but as you said, the basics are over quickly. Then it's just a matter of getting used to it and to grasp the diferent "logic" of the language, which is necessary for just ANY foreign language one might learn.

Regarding the pronunciation, i dunno, it doesn't seem that weird to me, but i haven't really ever though about it (i should, though, maybe that'd help me stop failing at phonetics exams). I don't even really pay attention to it when i'm talking, and even tho i do sound like crap it seems people don't have much trouble understanding what i say (sometimes it seems i can even get away with articulating even less than i do in french :p).
    Regarding the whole system of pronunciation rules, it reminds me of Russian. When i started studying it, they spent maybe a month just teaching us how to read and a bunch of orthographic rules that affect pronunciation. It didn't seem to make sense at first, but once that is over with, you pretty much won't have to worry about it ever again. So in the end i guess Russian qualifies as rather easy on that level.
  • edited April 2010
    Regarding the whole system of pronunciation rules, it reminds me of Russian. When i started studying it, they spent maybe a month just teaching us how to read and a bunch of orthographic rules that affect pronunciation. It didn't seem to make sense at first, but once that is over with, you pretty much won't have to worry about it ever again. So in the end i guess Russian qualifies as rather easy on that level.

The only thing I remember about Russian is that PECTOPAHT means restaurant, and a backwards N is I.
    Then again I never took any Russian.
  • edited April 2010
    The only thing I remember about Russian is that PECTOPAHT means restaurant, and a backwards N is I.
    Then again I never took any Russian.

Well, i didn't really go any further than that :p
    I can read, and if the words sounds like french or if they're among the maybe 15 ones i remember, i might understand what it's about, but that's about it.

I felt pretty proud when i was able to read the title of Dostoievsky's "the idiot" thou :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.