Console-exclusive bonuses: an open letter

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Well, i didn't really go any further than that :p
    I can read, and if the words sounds like french or if they're among the maybe 15 ones i remember, i might understand what it's about, but that's about it.

I felt pretty proud when i was able to read the title of Dostoievsky's "the idiot" thou :p

Oh! And "Lia tibia lioubiou"!
    Except spelled right. And I don't mean you, silly :P
  • edited April 2010
    jake you of all people shoulda known the how dare we was comin

lol

HOW DARE YA!!

i want special powerss tooooo
    without forcefully buying a new console and or game a 2nd time!

dohhh
    id even pay extra for more powers in game if needed beeith

saying these things are free.. is pissing in the wind though mate, its like the good ole lucas forums flames. only you normally were not on a side (this time you work for the said company lol)

scoooreee
    anyway reactions of this nature are normal... we feel .. left out .. but claiming this stuff was free.. is insane.. it is sure.. but thats like saying the newspaper can be free if we wanted it.. but then saying the people who chose a specific paper got to read a page we didnt.. and vice versa

flak ensues..

evil.. well in root no... but from an outside fan view.. as you are a fan too you should see this, we miiight think telltale is leaning to the money angle vs the soul reason they created the company.

but if the games dont suffer im all good..
    im just not down with console's analog sticks being stuck in my pc screen when using a mouse.. i dont want to see console ANYTHING on my pc.
    where is that button!

with that said.. i loved the new sam n max ..but i still want that power.. i can only imaing the hilariousness...

so yesith how dare ya! me wants my precious (bites vigorously)
  • edited April 2010
    Ya Znayou :eek:

Now you know enough to dub a star wars scene in Russian :eek:
  • edited April 2010
    Ya Znayou :eek:

Now you know enough to dub a star wars scene in Russian :eek:

My freind, I've seen ice age 3 in Kabyle. Nothing surprises me anymore.
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I do have a PS3 I will not be buying it for it.... I still like playing these on my PC..

I prefer playing on PS3. I own the PC/Mac version as well, but the whole scheme caters itself to a console. I will most likely play the PC version when I hit the road (pun fully intended).
  • edited April 2010
    Also, there are remote controls for computers.

Even very cute ones: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/9df0/
  • edited April 2010
    there are remotes but if you go that far from a pc.. why own it? it should be a stereo

or you are cool and have the video output set through a hole in the wall to a tv or something..

as for console controller.. that shouldnt even exist in pc versions.. no game should use this.

but thats always been my opinion.. games that work better with console controllers on a pc should stay on console... period

see bionic crappy commando for details (the newest one)
  • edited April 2010
    Kaldire wrote: »
    there are remotes but if you go that far from a pc.. why own it? it should be a stereo
    There are remotes but if you go that far from a TV...why own it?

What does "it should be a stereo" even mean?
    or you are cool and have the video output set through a hole in the wall to a tv or something..
    Or, you know, you could just have the computer plugged into a television. I know plenty of people with media PCs in their living rooms.
    as for console controller.. that shouldnt even exist in pc versions.. no game should use this.

but thats always been my opinion.. games that work better with console controllers on a pc should stay on console... period
    ...Why? Why should someone be forced to buy a $400-600 piece of equipment to play a game with a gamepad when, if you have a gaming PC, a $10-60 investment will give the same experience, if not a better one?
    see bionic crappy commando for details (the newest one)
    You're going to have to be more specific.
  • edited April 2010
    first off wow

a friggen stereo is slang for a radio.. or in this case it would be called
    home entertainment center

you lost me on the controller.. 10-60$ dollars.. i dont care about the money.. its not the damned issue.. just the fact i see an analog stick when using a mouse.. is insane and should have been removed.. I dont want to see anything resembling a controller or buttons A B X Y when playing .. NOR COLORS...

why have a remote for the tv? uhh.. i have no buttons on my box..
    most dont.. esp the new ones..
    so change the channel how? (and i dont want much tv anyway)

ok more specific... get assassins creed 1 or 2 for PC .. vs console.. you will understand.
  • edited April 2010
    Kaldire wrote: »
    first off wow

a friggen stereo is slang for a radio.. or in this case it would be called
    home entertainment center
    Except there is absolutely no technological reason that a gaming PC cannot be hooked into one. The fact that many computers are now getting HDMI cables means that it's getting even easier to do.
    you lost me on the controller.. 10-60$ dollars.. i dont care about the money.. its not the damned issue.. just the fact i see an analog stick when using a mouse.. is insane and should have been removed.. I dont want to see anything resembling a controller or buttons A B X Y when playing .. NOR COLORS...
    Except the analog stick that you see when you're playing is ported over from the iPad release. You don't see an on-screen analog stick on the console version of the game. Also, the UI changes based on what control scheme you're using. If you see buttons while using the mouse+keyboard control scheme, the only buttons you should see are keyboard keys and mouse buttons.
    why have a remote for the tv? uhh.. i have no buttons on my box..
    most dont.. esp the new ones..
    so change the channel how? (and i dont want much tv anyway)
    I have buttons on my new television for every available function.

The correct answer is that you should have a remote for the computer for the exact same reasons you should have a remote for the TV.

ok more specific... get assassins creed 1 or 2 for PC .. vs console.. you will understand.
    1. That's $110, not spending that.
    2. With a 360 gamepad, Assassin's Creed 2 will play exactly the same on PC as it does on 360. The copy protection problem has nothing to do with it being a gamepad game, so it's not an argument against Assassin's Creed 2 being on PC based on the fact that it is played primarily with a gamepad.
  • edited January 2011
    joeldee wrote: »
    Hello all

We really do not have any mission to drive individuals to buy the games multiple times in multiple ways (not to say that we'd discourage this ;) )

Sometimes, an add-on feature opportunity becomes available in one place ... which isn't to say that it won't also be available later in another place.

We do our best to deliver as much fun and value as possible where ever we can!

- Joel, Telltale

Are there any updates on fun deliveries in 2011?
    The DVD is out, the Nutri-Specs are not. What gives?
  • edited January 2011
    At this point, I doubt we get nutrispecs unless we hack the game.
  • edited January 2011
    mathman77 wrote: »
    At this point, I doubt we get nutrispecs unless we hack the game.
    Someone up for it?
  • edited January 2011
    Someone up for it?

Yeah uhh Cant someone hack the nutrispecs like they did with the abb abber on sbcg4ap?
  • edited January 2011
    I get both, because I prefer to play these games on my big screen BUT I really want those dvds! Together it's usually still less then most games or barely pricer so i feel it's worth it.
  • edited January 2011
    Don't have a PS3 though (or, well, a TV) so that's not really an option for me...

Want them (the specs) though.
  • edited January 2011
    Is it bad i have the devil's playhouse on both ttg and steam? :eek:
  • edited January 2011
    Someone up for it?

I heard of someone doing it a while ago, but I never dared to try. If I find a link I'll post it.
  • edited January 2011
    TentuZero wrote: »
    Is it bad i have the devil's playhouse on both ttg and steam? :eek:

Anyone that pre-ordered from TTG does, too. :p
  • edited January 2011
    Anyone that pre-ordered from TTG does, too. :p

No...i got this after WAY after the pre order. So...i paid for both lol. :D
  • edited January 2011
    Regarding the languages: Russian language is actually among the hardest languages to learn. And I say that as a native Russian speaker (who had an easy time due to, well, nativeness :p ). I've encountered people who thought that they've learned Russian, but in reality couldn't understand, say or spell shit. Russian language's a bitch, that's for sure :p I suppose it's one of those languages that you can't get a grasp on unless you live among the people who talk in it.

Oh, and more English game developers should have real Russian consultants to check the signs they write in Russian (or the lines they make up for their characters), because really, in 75% of the games it's like Backstroke of the West, only in Russian. Of course, one who understands it can laugh his ass off how much he likes, but it's kind of sad, actually.
  • edited January 2011
    Like pretty much ALL PC games it is possible that the game code could be edited to let you use the specs. After all only you would be able to use it and you aren't harming anyone else. The only question is who would do it and how.

Not me in any case. I only have the most basic understanding of fiddling with programming code. Might be interesting to try though, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Why should we even have to alter code anyway? Why can't they be unlocked, if even for just that episode? Also why are we getting the stonewall response from Telltale? I've not been here as long as others but the fact that the staff would reply to things on the forums was a total bonus. However there's been nothing on this. Even news that they were working on bug fixes would be nice.
  • edited January 2011
    See the last post on this page as to how to "unlock" the Nutrition Specs.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19580
  • edited January 2011
    I'm kind of at the point where I'm no longer giving Telltale the benefit of the doubt.

The lack of SBCG4AP or W&G for Mac thus far, the apparent discontinuation of S&M TDP and W&G for iPad, the fact that Earl Boen TMI episode 1 is STILL not downloadable, the NutriSpecs not even being on the disc, Back to the Future being practically a machinima where you have to press some buttons here and there (not to mention the stiff, unnatural animations and horrendous texture quality inconsistency, which all seem to suggest a rushed and unfinished release), Puzzle Agent's endlessly delayed Wii release (when it was implied that it would be near simultaneous), half of the staff that was involved with the community leaving the company and the remaining staff all but ignoring any posts asking questions about why things that were promised nearly a year ago have yet to materialize, and don't think I've forgotten the Wallace and Gromit DVD DRM fiasco.

I mean, anyone here can tell you, I've always been a staunch defender of Telltale and their intentions, but lately, I've just been wondering what in the heck is going on over there.

Too many things are piling up and being ignored. We haven't forgotten.
  • edited January 2011
    SHODANFreeman speaks my mind. On all of these matters. Sadly.

I sincerely miss the communication, on even the littlest things. They add up. And I miss the experience of playing even a modestly challenging game in tandem with the great story I'm being told. But at least the latter intention has been (more or less) clearly communicated, even if it disappoints me and I hope to see change on that front. There's little to no excuse for neglecting to inform or not ensuring the quality was up to snuff on all of the other issues mentioned.

There's been some good things. The TDP disc is both a Mac/PC hybrid and playable as a regular DVD, which was sweet. And the Sound Commentary makes a comeback! But then the concept art gets skimped on. Sigh. And for whatever crazy reason I'm still holding out hope for a Season 3 soundtrack. Mostly because with the lack of a case file it would be absolutely stupefying to pass on creating and selling the other concurrent big piece of merchandise we've come to expect as a companion to a Sam & Max season release.

... I hate writing this. I still love you guys. But that's why it hurts, y'know? I know you're better than this.

Please don't make me have to do this again.

:( <3 :(
  • edited January 2011
    ... I hate writing this. I still love you guys. But that's why it hurts, y'know? I know you're better than this.

Please don't make me have to do this again.

:( <3 :(

This can also be added to the end of my previous post. :(
  • edited January 2011
    I think we're all on the same page here. Telltale just isn't the company it was when I came here a year and a half ago, and from what I understand, the decline started even before then. I think they're taking on too many things at once and the quality is suffering for it, and as much as it pains me to say it, it genuinely feels like they don't care all that much about the community anymore. Sometimes I think Alan was only brought on because they were worried the forums would devolve into total chaos without at least one Telltale employee devoted to keeping an eye on us, no offense to the man.

And what it all boils down to is the misconception that quantity makes up for quality. But then from a business standpoint, maybe you make more money selling two inferior products to the part of the fanbase that doesn't leave than you would selling one superior product to the whole fanbase. And if that's Telltale's line of thinking (God, I hope not), then the company has lost the heart it was founded with. I pray I'm wrong about that, but there's no denying that things have changed, and not for the better.
  • edited January 2011
    It's the same old story of the small entity (indie band, indie director, small company, what have you) with a core group of loyal fans, that's just "doing it for the art, man", that hits it big. Inevitably, they seem to start making decisions/putting out products that alienates those very fans who got them to the big time in the first place. Is anybody really surprised that this has happened to Telltale and they are doing these things now? At the end of the day, Telltale is a company, and they have to make decisions that are most cost-effective for them. Unfortunately, sometimes, those decisions suck.
  • edited January 2011
    Not necessarily surprised, just very very disappointed. And reputation does count for something, and the Telltale Games logo just isn't the seal of quality it used to be. Alienating your customers is never a good business decision in the long run.
  • edited January 2011
    Oh, and let me also bring up the recent terribly botched retail release of the newest CSI game. Not cool.
  • edited January 2011
    Oh, and let me also bring up the recent terribly botched retail release of the newest CSI game. Not cool.
    Aren't those published and released by Ubisoft, though? :confused:
  • edited January 2011
    See the last post on this page as to how to "unlock" the Nutrition Specs.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19580

Yes, I read your thread and it's very insightful. Sadly getting the specs the intended way (through the alley) is still not possible.
    With all the PS3 hacking going on, maybe the requiered trigger can be found by comparing the game files with the PC counterparts.
  • edited January 2011
    markeres wrote: »
    Aren't those published and released by Ubisoft, though? :confused:

Yes, but I don't know whose fault the screw-up is, whether TTG submitted the wrong disc or something, or Ubi messed something up in the pressing, but it's terrible either way.
  • edited January 2011
    I hadn't heard about that. What was the issue?
  • edited January 2011
    I hadn't heard about that. What was the issue?

There was some problem with the sound on the disc for the US retail release (which was apparently inexplicably also a Best Buy exclusive), so they just dumped every copy of it in the garbage, and now there is no retail version for the US. :(
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2011
    LuigiHann wrote: »

That has nothing to do with anything. I couldn't disagree more with that guy, at least personally, but I think it depends on the developer, and the forum.
  • edited January 2011
    Interesting thing from the PC Hack version, after retrieving the card from Pudding Lincoln, it displays a link to a website with a congrats message.

That wasn't even on the PS3 version, once you got the card, that was it, nothing was mentioned ever again (though you did get a Trophy for finding it).
  • edited January 2011
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Interesting thing from the PC Hack version, after retrieving the card from Pudding Lincoln, it displays a link to a website with a congrats message.

That wasn't even on the PS3 version, once you got the card, that was it, nothing was mentioned ever again (though you did get a Trophy for finding it).

I noticed that, but I didn't know if it was in the PS3 version. Unfortunately, the link just goes to Telltale's homepage.
  • edited January 2011
    Ash735 wrote: »

Probably part of the ARG they had scrapped.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.