Steam discussion - merged threads

Comments

• joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2010
    Hello

We actively work with them to sync up releases. Our apologies if any earlier posts were misleading. That certainly wasn't intentional.

- Joel
  • edited December 2010
    Poker Night - Steamworks!
    BTTF - What's Steam again?

Edit: Even if it wasn't intentional, not even having the game's page up prior to release is really poor.
  • edited December 2010
    I already put my money into the Steam wallet for today. I am not paying twice to get this game on Steam, and since we were promised yesterday it would be up today it would only be fair to work out with Valve to allow us to register our keys with Steam when it is available on there if we buy it today.

Normally I am pretty patient with this type of stuff as I have worked in the tech support industry before, but when you blatantly LIE to your customers you at least need to answer for it!
  • edited December 2010
    hlhbk wrote:
    Could tell tale please work out an agreement with Valve to allow us to register our keys on Steam if we buy the game from the Telltale website today?

This and i will buy it right now :)
  • edited December 2010
    I just hope we will get some sort of update tonight.
  • edited December 2010
    Steam can sometimes take a bit to get things up, why It wouldn't have been up already only TT and steam know. Just be patient it will get there I'm sure. Played a bit of it and I by no means have ever played a game like this and its really fun. More of a fps/rpg/strategy kinda gamer but this is nice.
  • edited December 2010
    Where is the Steam release? You should not wait until the last minute to release the game on Steam.

You should do it like Sam and Max season 3. You know that the game should actually be available for purchase on Steam few days earlier? Then you just release it.

Just a reminder for you that if you are doing it to force us buy it directly from you, it will not happen. I will buy it on Steam no matter what tactic you use.
  • edited December 2010
    Understandable. But like mentioned before, there wasnt even a page on Steam to get it. Just seems a bit unusual. I understand Steam gets a bit of a delay, an hour with Devil's Playhouse for example, I am just ready for this.
  • edited December 2010
    Can we please get an update?
  • TeaTea
    edited December 2010
    joeldee wrote: »
    Hello

We actively work with them to sync up releases. Our apologies if any earlier posts were misleading. That certainly wasn't intentional.

- Joel

Don't apologise, just point them in the direction of Steam forums.
  • edited December 2010
    Tea wrote: »
    Don't apologise, just point them in the direction of Steam forums.

I am sure they would if it was Steam's fault but it's not.
  • edited December 2010
    hlhbk wrote: »
    I am sure they would if it was Steam's fault but it's not.

And you're so sure it's Telltale's Fault because....?
  • edited December 2010
    Dedlok wrote: »
    And you're so sure it's Telltale's Fault because....?

Because it is up to the developer/publisher to work out with Valve when to release the game. Vavle just can't release the game when they feel like it or we would get game weeks early if it was available to them to do so.

If Telltale was really in tandum with Valve over the release of BTTF then why has there never been a page about the game on Steam or a way to preorder like like you could on Telltales and Direct2drive's site? Yet in all major releases (we will take the Witcher 2 and Fallout New Vegas) all of this stuff is taken care of.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, not EVERY game gets a pre-order page before it's released. I've seen plenty of games not even show up on steam's store until day of. And the way I see it, Valve probably didn't want to put a page up on the store so people don't think/hope it will get a sale price during the current holiday sale.

Also, it's a very busy time of the year for Steam, I've seen a couple people posting that they have submitted an update to Valve, but not sure when it'll be up because they are so busy. So if Valve is backed up enough and they only got the data to upload on their servers late enough where they couldn't get it up and available on their servers today.

There's also the issue of possible reduced manpower due to the holidays/vacations.

Or Valve could just want to wait until either after Christmas/the Sale.

There's also the possibility that they are planning another steam incentive thing, but certain things need to be in place before they unveil it and make it known.

Also: Do you work for Valve, Telltale, or some other developer? No? Then you do not not know the exact process and elements and machinations needed to get such things in place. So stop talking like you're Mr. Know-It-All whiny fanboy.

And I'm not claiming to know all either. All of this posts has simply been speculation as to why the series isn't up on steam yet.

So just be patient. It'll be available eventually.
  • edited December 2010
    TTG and Valve are pretty close (why else is the Heavy in Poker Night) YET STILL it's late on Steam.

Even with your rose-steam-coloured glasses you can't honestly think it's not a problem with Steam... right?
  • edited December 2010
    I've been waiting for a page to appear on Steam, that way I can pre-order it there. But there's not even a page yet! I was able to preorder Monkey Island just fine and get all 5 games and as each one released (with some hiccups and occasional delays) be able to download and play right away.

The fact that there's not even a store page up on Steam is confusing and disturbing.

I don't mind buying direct from TT if I can link it into steam later. And as long as it's the downloadable version...I don't want to have to wait for it to arrive in the mail...
  • edited December 2010
    Completely understandable, and the way it looks we Steam user's will have to wait until atleast tomorrow. Bummer. To all those people that are playing it.....Enjoy it. Good Night All!
  • edited December 2010
    TTG and Valve are pretty close (why else is the Heavy in Poker Night) YET STILL it's late on Steam.

Even with your rose-steam-coloured glasses you can't honestly think it's not a problem with Steam... right?

And in the same vein, Telltale has worked and submitted games to Steam long enough that they know what they are doing and what they have to do to get their games listed and available on Steam. So it could still be either a problem on Valve's or Telltale's side. Or maybe even NBC/Universal's.
  • edited December 2010
    I've been waiting for a page to appear on Steam, that way I can pre-order it there. But there's not even a page yet! I was able to preorder Monkey Island just fine and get all 5 games and as each one released (with some hiccups and occasional delays) be able to download and play right away.

The fact that there's not even a store page up on Steam is confusing and disturbing.

I don't mind buying direct from TT if I can link it into steam later. And as long as it's the downloadable version...I don't want to have to wait for it to arrive in the mail...

Telltale primarily works with downloadable content, so if you buy it, you'll be able to download it instantly. The physical copy of the game isn't sent out until after the entire five-episode series is released and is more of a bonus than anything else. Not sure if you'll be able to add it into steam though.

EDIT: I did buy Poker Night at the Inventory from Telltale and was still able to get it from Steam, but I'm not sure whether that'll be the case with BttF.
  • edited December 2010
    You're being way too hard on TTG. They didn't lie and not everything is up to the developer as far as Steam releases are concerned. Don't talk about being impatient either. This isn't the first time the Steam release wasn't ready to purchase on the same exact day as the TTG store release. Don't know why you want it on Steam anyway. TTG games are always superior from their own store.
  • edited December 2010
    Wait a second....Telltale makes/creates these games. Their main priority is the distribution. Any site that makes games their priority is their distribution. If you decided to go third-party to get your game then you must realize the possibility of a problem existing. You made the choice ot use Steam and you made the choice to put your money in Steams Wallet.

People like me made a choice to use the direct site. Things didn't work out for you. Welcome to Life 101. The staff has already reported they working with Steam to fix this issue. TellTale does not control Steam. Why is it their fault if Steam hasn't posted something? Telltale does not go on steam and put up games. It is plain silly to accuse a party that has no control over Steams content.

Here is a bit of advice. If your going to be attached to a service and have to have all your games through it then understand when that company isn't the direct source of your game you might run into some problems. TellTale simply sends Steam the game to post. Steam is responsible for implementing it into their system. Another example is Darkstar recently released. The main company sent the game to Strategy First and Strategy First was then responsible for implementing it into their system. It took a few days for them to do so. I understand your not happy with the situation but I think your blaming the wrong people and have way to little proper information about what your talking about.
  • edited December 2010
    TTG games are always superior from their own store.

Where you buy a game from does not determine it's quality. Quality can be determined by things like what platform you buy it for, PC tech specs, kink in the development cycle, etc. What quality is not determined by is where you purchase the game from, that's just a fallacy of logic that could give a Vulcan an aneurysm.

OT: Damn guys, abusive much? Calm down, they said it will be on steam and it will. Its the holiday season, go and spend time with your families or prepare yourself for spending time with the family. Hell, play something else if you have to, delays happen and when they do you just need to suck it up and be patient. Chastising the devs isn't going to get it put on steams' "stuff to buy" list any faster.

Be patient, practice some zen or something to calm your nerd rages.
  • edited December 2010
    It's coming close to the 24th of December here in Australia and still no Back to the Future on Steam :'( I am dissapoint
  • edited December 2010
    KeyMaster wrote: »
    Where you buy a game from does not determine it's quality. Quality can be determined by things like what platform you buy it for, PC tech specs, kink in the development cycle, etc. What quality is not determined by is where you purchase the game from, that's just a fallacy of logic that could give a Vulcan an aneurysm.

Well, you get the best support, the game comes out on time before any other port release, you get the cheapest price (unless the TTG 50% off Steam sale holds), and a free game if you preordered. In fact, you get free games all the time from TTG. That never happens on Steam. Also, you don't get the DVD at the end of the season.

I guess I mean that the service is best from TTG's own store than Steam (as good as Steam is).
  • edited December 2010
    I understand that these things dont always go as smoothly as we like, but are the product codes ever going to work on steam? i bought the 5 episodes and got the puzzle agent game, and THAT game IS available on steam, but the product key doesnt work. any idea when theyll work?
  • edited December 2010
    I bought the game on this site (this is my first purchase here,but I have Tales of MI on Steam),TellTale will give use a reedemable code for use Back to the Future on Steam?Please!
  • edited December 2010
    It's coming close to the 24th of December here in Australia and still no Back to the Future on Steam :'( I am dissapoint

Lol Hamish and Andy
  • edited December 2010
    Looks like it won't be long now, I've noticed the trailer is now up on Steam.
  • edited December 2010
    Thank God. Maybe I will be playing it today on Steam!!!!!!!

EDIT

Although when you click the link, it goes no where. LOL
  • edited December 2010
    i only see the trailer but rhe link dont work :(
  • edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    Its now available to buy and its 10% off

http://store.steampowered.com/app/31290
  • edited December 2010
    Crap, I didn't want it on sale. Take my money, Telltale!
  • edited December 2010
    HitcH55 wrote: »
    I understand that these things dont always go as smoothly as we like, but are the product codes ever going to work on steam? i bought the 5 episodes and got the puzzle agent game, and THAT game IS available on steam, but the product key doesnt work. any idea when theyll work?

Telltale serial codes bought from the Telltale store will never work on Steam. That's intentional, not a bug.
    I bought the game on this site (this is my first purchase here,but I have Tales of MI on Steam),TellTale will give use a reedemable code for use Back to the Future on Steam?Please!

Not gonna happen. They're essentially two different versions. Telltale have said they have no plans to make serial keys cross compatible with Steam.
  • edited December 2010
    Go get it! I did.
  • edited December 2010
    bought :D
  • edited December 2010
    This is ridiculous with the Steam sale page. There is no new release page. If you don't know that it's out and actively search it, you would never know that this game is out on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/31290/
  • edited December 2010
    Hmmm....$2.50 cheaper. I could buy it but I may want to get the disc version shipped if I enjoy it enough :( Decisions decisions
  • edited December 2010
    downloading now

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2010
    Damn, a bit cheaper on Steam than directly via Telltale. Kinda wondering why they don't give away steam activation codes to those who want to activate it in steam like the "Humble bundle" team does.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.