Subtítulos? Translated: Subtitles? (This thread is in Spanish)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    The thing that's being made fun here is the OP's way of demanding it, not the language itself.

This.

(Never thought I'd answer like that!)
  • edited December 2010
    If i remember things correctly many advantures shipped with support of these four languages: English (Esperanto), German (most beautiful language in the world), French (Eclaires) and Spanish (Crema Catalana).
  • edited December 2010
    holmja wrote: »
    Except I didn't ask to have it translated into Esperanto!?

Esperanto... hummm... Hugh Bliss would love it! :D

(Sam&Max joke, don't think I am crazy ;))
  • edited December 2010
    I am from Spain and as a client of Telltale since Day 1, and after buying ALL the Telltale games, I am very dissapointed with them. Subtitles in English, French and German, but not Spanish???!!!! Come on!
    More than 400 millions of people speak spanish in the world. All the multilanguage games published by Nintendo, Microsoft, EA and many others, include spanish. Almost all multilanguage games include five languages: english, german, spanish, french, and italian. A lot friends and family want to buy Telltale games, but they can't. Spain is a country with a lot of graphic adventure tradition (The Runaway games are from Spain) but, as in Germany, people like to play the games and movies in their own language and not many of them speak english. If Telltale translates their games to spanish, I am sure they'll sell a lot in Spain, specially games that are myths here like Tales of Monkey Island, or much-loved films like Back to the Future or Jurassic Park.
  • edited December 2010
    They wont do it just for the costs of translating? C'mon I'll do it for free! Subs only of course.
  • edited December 2010
    Megaace wrote: »
    If Telltale translates their games to spanish, I am sure they'll sell a lot in Spain, specially games that are myths here like Tales of Monkey Island, or much-loved films like Back to the Future or Jurassic Park.

Just so you know, the word you should use in that sentence is legends, not myths. And, given how much complaining we've heard from our German friends about the poor translation job, I'm not sure you really want what you are asking for. Yes a good multi-language game should be the goal, but it should be done right, not poorly.
  • edited December 2010
    the word you should use in that sentence is legends, not myths
    Thanks. I can read english perfectly, but to write it is another story...
    And, given how much complaining we've heard from our German friends about the poor translation job, I'm not sure you really want what you are asking for
    Well, Wallace & Gromit is translated into spanish (it was published on the X360 and Microsoft DEMAND to translate ALL Xbox Live games to spanish, thanks Bill Gates) and the translation was good as I remember... But I played the game in english because I can read it, my brother and some friends played it in spanish.

Or they just made french (because of canada) and german (because it's the number 1 market for adventure games)
    I can understand the german subtitles, they sell a lot of adventures there. But french? There are much more people that speak spanish in USA than people that speak french in Canada... And Mexico and South America are two emergent markets, and well, Spain is an important videogame market with an adventure tradition...
    But I don't want a confrontation. It is good that they translate the game to german and french. But if they go multilanguage, then do it well and translate to all the "classic" videogame languages: english, german, french, spanish and italian.
  • edited December 2010
    Megaace wrote: »
    thanks. I can read english perfectly, but to write it is another story...

my - word!!!
  • edited December 2010
    There are like 270 millions of people who speak French, and like 500 millions that speak spanish.

Just sayin' :D
  • edited December 2010
    Nipponjin ga inai ka? ==> Kōnyū shinaide kudasai. Chōdo sore o!
  • edited December 2010
    yeah, and there are about 80 million people in germany. and a LOT OF THESE PEOPLE just love adventure games, cause as you all know, germany is THE country when it comes to adventure games.

it depends on the sellings, not on the people that are speaking the language

yeah, i know its easy to say, cause im german, but you get it, dont you?
  • edited December 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    yeah, and there are about 80 million people in germany. and a LOT OF THESE PEOPLE just love adventure games, cause as you all know, germany is THE country when it comes to adventure games.

it depends on the sellings, not on the people that are speaking the language

yeah, i know its easy to say, cause im german, but you get it, dont you?

I could say the same thing about Spain. We love adventure games but there are few titles.

I don't say this cause I am spanish... no way!! ;)
  • edited December 2010
    spanish subtitles now!!! And it's possible, basque subtitles too, jeje.
  • edited December 2010
    Ondasun wrote: »
    spanish subtitles now!!! And it's possible, basque subtitles too, jeje.

Da las gracias si lo sacan en castellano!

Thank them if they translate to spanish!

"NOW" is rude... what about "pleeeeeease, pretty pleeeeeease"? :p
  • edited December 2010
    Pienso que si lo sacaran en Español, bastante gente se quejaría de que los actores no sean los mismos, o que el acento que usan en el doblaje no les agrada, o que los subtítulos no encajan con su región en particular.... Por lo menos sé que así pasaría aquí...

Translating...

I think that if they release it in Spanish, a lot of people would complain about the actors not being the same as in the movies, of they wouldn't be happy with the dubbing's accent; or that subtitles wouldn't fit with their particular region... At least I know that'd be the case here...
  • edited December 2010
    Carlos85G wrote: »
    Pienso que si lo sacaran en Español, bastante gente se quejaría de que los actores no sean los mismos, o que el acento que usan en el doblaje no les agrada, o que los subtítulos no encajan con su región en particular.... Por lo menos sé que así pasaría aquí...

Translating...

I think that if they release it in Spanish, a lot of people would complain about the actors not being the same as in the movies, of they wouldn't be happy with the dubbing's accent; or that subtitles wouldn't fit with their particular region... At least I know that'd be the case here...

What we want is spanish subtitles. I don't care if they dub the game in spanish! The English dubbing is perfect for me.

Lo que queremos son subtitulos. El doblaje al español no me importa tanto, sinceramente. El doblaje en ingles es estupendo.
  • edited December 2010
    Incluso los subtítulos necesitan localización. Por eso es que mi post incluye tanto el doblaje como los subtítulos.

Toda LatinoAmérica conoce el "Condensador de Flujo", "Calvin Klein" y "la Súpertabla" y toda España conoce el "Condensador de Fluzo", "Levis Strauss" y "el Aeropatín". Cualquiera que se escoja deja al otro deseando que "los tomen en cuenta".

De hecho, a mí no me importa jugarlo en Inglés, lo prefiero así :D. Si hicieran subtítulos o doblaje, no creo que coincida con lo que ya existe desde hace años.

---

Even subtitles need localization. That's why my post covers both dubbing and subtitles.

All LatinAmerica knows the "Condensador de Flujo" -Flux Capacitor-, "Calvin Klein" and "la Súpertabla" -the HoverBoard- and all Spain knows the "Condensador de Fluzo", "Levis Strauss" -Marty's alterego in 1955- and "el Aeropatín"; so, any they choose, leaves the other part wishing "that they take them into account".

In fact, I don't mind playing the game in English at all, and I prefer it like that :D. If they do subtitles or dubbing, I don't think it'll match what has been there already for years.
  • edited December 2010
    I know a lot of my italian friend that don't want to play the game because of the english (they did the same thing for sam & max season 3 ._.), but I think that there's a reason if telltale didn't translate the game to my language
  • edited December 2010
    Vyse220 wrote: »
    I know a lot of my italian friend that don't want to play the game because of the english (they did the same thing for sam & max season 3 ._.), but I think that there's a reason if telltale didn't translate the game to my language

I believe it's the same reason why a lot of people I know didn't want to buy -and raged when they bought- the BTTF DVDs because the spanish dubbing was the Iberic Spanish dubbing and not the LatinAmerican one: because they want to experience it how they remember it...
  • edited December 2010
    French version has no dub.

You won't ever get a spanish dub.
  • edited December 2010
    Carlos85G wrote: »
    Incluso los subtítulos necesitan localización. Por eso es que mi post incluye tanto el doblaje como los subtítulos.

Toda LatinoAmérica conoce el "Condensador de Flujo", "Calvin Klein" y "la Súpertabla" y toda España conoce el "Condensador de Fluzo", "Levis Strauss" y "el Aeropatín". Cualquiera que se escoja deja al otro deseando que "los tomen en cuenta".

De hecho, a mí no me importa jugarlo en Inglés, lo prefiero así :D. Si hicieran subtítulos o doblaje, no creo que coincida con lo que ya existe desde hace años.

---

Even subtitles need localization. That's why my post covers both dubbing and subtitles.

All LatinAmerica knows the "Condensador de Flujo" -Flux Capacitor-, "Calvin Klein" and "la Súpertabla" -the HoverBoard- and all Spain knows the "Condensador de Fluzo", "Levis Strauss" -Marty's alterego in 1955- and "el Aeropatín"; so, any they choose, leaves the other part wishing them "that they take them into account".

In fact, I don't mind playing the game in English at all, and I prefer it like that :D. If they do subtitles or dubbing, I don't think it'll match what has been there already for years.

I'm still preferring ONLY subtitles localization. I'm still saying that the voices are perfect in english.

Seguiria prefiriendo solo la localización de los subtitulos. Prefiero las versiones en inglés de las voces, la verdad.
  • edited December 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    You won't ever get a spanish dub.

May be, may be not.

From Telltale I'm sure not. But if some spanish videogames editor (as FX) is interested in the game... who knows?
  • edited December 2010
    Some people made Spanish subs for Tales of Monkey Island, so we just have to wait until someone open up the BTFF´s files and edit them
  • edited December 2010
    I didn't liked much the TALES fansubs, but at least it was something. If FX bought the rights of Telltale games we would get GREAT dubs and for just 20 euros... That would be AWESOME. :D

(If some Telltale guy want to know more about them... But please, NO MORE ATARI)
  • edited December 2010
    Please, spanish subtitles before Episode2!!
  • edited December 2010
    I am big fan of all of your games but it is dissapointing not having at least spanish subtitles.

Please Telltale transltate your games. Many of us want to enjoy your fantastic games translated.
  • OMAOMA
    edited January 2011
    taumel wrote: »
    crema catalana

WTF?!!! xD :D
  • edited January 2011
    Includes Spanish subtitles? ==> I buy! Just that!
  • edited January 2011
    Perfect, can't wait to proof-read it :D

Checked.

While I appreciate the great effort the translators have done, I didn't like that they changed the main dialogue of the first sequence to a word-for-word translation instead if using a "fixed" version of the original latinamerican dubbing, like "Si mis cálculos son correctos, cuando ese vehículo llegue a las ochenta y ocho millas por hora, te asombrará lo que verás...". However, it's nice to read the game in my native language :)

---

Perfecto, ya quiero revisar el texto :D

Hecho.

Mientras que aprecio el gran esfuerzo que han hecho los traductores, no me gustó que cambiaran el diálogo principal de la primera secuencia por una traducción de cada palabra en vez de usar una versión "arreglada" del doblaje latinoamericano, como "Si mis cálculos son correctos, cuando ese vehículo llegue a las ochenta y ocho millas por hora, te asombrará lo que verás...". Sin embargo, es agradable leer el juego en mi lenguaje nativo :)
  • edited January 2011
    cool, looks like GTA and thanks for sharing links.
  • edited January 2011
    For the screens I suppose that those are Latin Spanish subtitles... The quotes from the spanish translation are different ("¡Ciento cuarenta kilómetros por hora!" or "¡Has desintegrado a Einstein!" par example).
  • edited January 2011
    nomecopies wrote: »
    For the screens I suppose that those are Latin Spanish subtitles... The quotes from the spanish translation are different ("¡Ciento cuarenta kilómetros por hora!" or "¡Has desintegrado a Einstein!" par example).

You don't need to be from South America to not convert mph to kph or km/h in the translation.
  • edited January 2011
    PainDealer wrote: »
    You don't need to be from South America to not convert mph to kph or km/h in the translation.

It's not just that, look at the second example. Or to say "auto" instead of "coche". Little differences, but when you have seen a movie hundreds of times, every word is important.
  • edited January 2011
    It's a literal, neutral, word-for-word translation. "Flux dispersal" is stated as "Dispersión de fluidos" instead of "Dispersión de flujo" or "Dispersión de fluzo". "Great Scott" is translated to "Gran Scott" instead of "Santo Cielo" (or "Santa Ciencia" as the second latinamerican dubbing goes) or any catchphrase recognizable by Spanish speakers. Those examples are just the tip of the iceberg.

It's just faithful to the original English script, not to any of the dubbed versions, in the way that every language-based joke is lost in translation, like the cases of "But when?, I need a date!", "Can I have some mousse?" or "Hang in there, Doc".

So, it's just Spanish... Not Latinamerican, not Iberic, but neutral.
  • edited January 2011
    I'll keep waiting! Thanks for the hard work but this is not the Back To the Future I remember!

I don't want that this be faithful with the script. If I would want, I would bought it in English. I'll keep waiting for an iberic translation.

What you call "Neutral" is a bad decision, sorry!
  • edited January 2011
    As far as I remember, there was an Iberic-Spanish translation at Taringa!... You only have to browse.

And isn't it being a "bad" decision subjective?. I didn't like that they didn't use any of the dubs' dialogues (it isn't the BTTF I remember either), but I appreciate the effort greatly and see it as a fair desicion.
  • edited January 2011
    Uhm, this is heavy....
    Guys, the translation and integration with the game took a lot of time and work.
    If you think that there´s not a good work, you have the choice to play it in its original language or in Deutsch.
    Its original purpose was for help the non english spoken fans, and nothing else.
  • edited January 2011
    And I appreciate that. Thank the team for their hard work, they did it great!

The issue, at least with me, is that the translation is just faithful to the main English script: Instead of saying "Cuando este vehículo llegue a las 88 millas por hora, te asombrará lo que verás" it says "Cuando este bebé llegue a las 88 millas por hora, vas a ver algo sorprendente", or writing "Marshall Strickland" instead of "Comisario Strickland", which is quite not the same as I've heard through the years of watching it on local TV. The translation is accurate to what they're actually saying, but is not the same feeling as what I've seen before.

So, I don't have a problem with their work, but with the content, which is well written and spell-checked, but is not the BTTF I remember.

For example, I had to translate BTTF:HV to Spanish, and I did the same, but making use of the keywords used in the dub, like "flujo", "Santa Ciencia", "Espacio Contínuo del Tiempo" and "No estás pensando en la Cuarta Dimensión": Not quite a literal translation of the terms, but that's what was used. Now, I can understand that there are mistakes in the dubbings, and that's why I suggested in the other Spanish thread that they could have used a "fixed" version of the dubbing, like in the case of "¿Qué es eso que está en el auto?" to "¿Tiene eso conectado al... auto?".

So, it's not that is a bad work, which it ISN'T, it's good, it's great! but it just doesn't feel the same.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.