Riddles of Monkey Island: time to recruit for this fan game!

Comments

• edited November 2010
    To keep up the morale, I could compose something... What would be the first music we hear in the game? Or the menu music, perhaps?

Gimme orders, Chief!
  • edited November 2010
    Try making some background music. Maybe we could use it somewhere in the game.
  • edited November 2010
    Ok, i like Tom's idea for wave. And yes, I like the idea of episodes, working on one big game takes a long time and at least with episodes you can have something to show a lot fasta pasta.

Now, how do I make a wave?
  • edited November 2010
    I'd like to do some voice-acting. I've never really done it before, but it seems like fun.
  • edited November 2010
    I just looked at wave and it is awesome. Someone should make one.
  • edited November 2010
    ok, I've made a wave, just need to be able to add people.
    EDIT: if people can PM me with their gmail addresses, then I can add you, or is there any other way of you guys just adding yourselves?
  • edited November 2010
    What's the link?
  • edited November 2010
    Well, I'm hoping this link works
    https://wave.google.com/wave/waveref/googlewave.com/w+Q2s6-x8iA

I've never had to link anyone to a wave before so this may or may not work.

EDIT: Adding people's email addresses seems to work best, MonkeyMania just sent me a PM with his wave address, so can everyone else involved please send me a PM with your addresses ASAP.
  • edited November 2010
    And yes, I like the idea of episodes, working on one big game takes a long time and at least with episodes you can have something to show a lot fasta pasta.

Good to hear! I would also prefer it to be episodic, for the same reason you gave. It would be nice to see what you guys can create earlier rather than later. Plus, by releasing it episodically, you can take all constructive criticism in for the following episode. And, who knows, if you produce something relatively awesome, it could even encourage a few more 'applicants' for the team.
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    That song really is great!
    It's chilling and mysterious at the same time.
    Sets a good mood. I like how you can hear the original theme in it, too!

To use it as background music we'd have to make it a "loop", though. But I bet that's no problem at all.
  • edited November 2010
    No prob, but not today...I'm a bit tired :)
  • edited November 2010

That is really good! I'm just thinking that it sounds too awesome to just be played in the menu, maybe as music for a map screen could work as well?
  • edited November 2010
    Here's some free steel drum samples: http://www.phunkynutts.com/steeldrum.php
  • edited November 2010
    Should John DeCringe sound with French accent? If so, I'm in! I'll send you an audition as soon as I can.
  • edited November 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Should John DeCringe sound with French accent? If so, I'm in! I'll send you an audition as soon as I can.

Yes, we need a french accent, for sure. The character is sort of a nod to Desinge. Please do send in an audition. Desinge lines from Tales should be enough to see if you're right for the character.
  • edited November 2010
    Here's some free steel drum samples: http://www.phunkynutts.com/steeldrum.php

Thank you, I'll look over them!
  • edited November 2010
    Ok, I'll be able to download the Adventure Game Kit once I get home in a few hours (I've had to use my grandfather's computer and the internet goes out all the darn time!), so then we can get some real progress done. We'll be working on a better title on the wave, too, so SilverWolfPet, can you PM me your wave address; I think everyone else's I have. Also got to figure out these memoirs to make a teaser trailer.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm working on my audition, but I just want to make a small suggestion. No need to follow it if you don't want to, but just thought it would be nice to post it:

DeCringe should have problems speaking properly in English. He should get stuck with certain letters or words, and Guybrush would help him in the most unlikely situation. For example...

DeCringe: Now you are about to die, Monseuir Threepwood! Any last wis- Last wiff-- Aggghhh! Sacre merde! Last wifff---

Guybrush: Last wishes?

DeCringe: Oui! Thank you very much, Monseuir Threepwood! Now... DIE!

Or something like that :p
  • edited November 2010
    I'm working on my audition, but I just want to make a small suggestion. No need to follow it if you don't want to, but just thought it would be nice to post it:

DeCringe should have problems speaking properly in English. He should get stuck with certain letters or words, and Guybrush would help him in the most unlikely situation. For example...

DeCringe: Now you are about to die, Monseuir Threepwood! Any last wis- Last wiff-- Aggghhh! Sacre merde! Last wifff---

Guybrush: Last wishes?

DeCringe: Oui! Thank you very much, Monseuir Threepwood! Now... DIE!

Or something like that :p

That is a great idea, and I also have an idea that he could speak in old english now and then, as a reference to joseph decreaux, and Guybrush could be all "what are you talking about?" and Decringe has to say "in other words, YOU WILL DIE NOW!" or something like that.
  • edited November 2010

Well that's... groovy! Great stuff... made me almost get my guitar and play along it!

No, wait, i DID play along it!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8290154398df11ad/
  • edited November 2010
    Ok, I finally finished my auditions. The first link is for DeCringe, taking some familiar dialogue ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ros4obi93ma9u3b

And the second one is just me doing an improvisation for a possible narrator. And a little surprise at the end...

http://www.mediafire.com/?5aexarjo1r8tzw1
  • edited November 2010
    I'm really liking some of the stuff I'm seeing and hearing here. I think that Trenchfoot's idea is great - it reminds me of Ricky Gervais' character out of 'Night at the Museum' (that being a good thing).

And Silverwolfpet, that little tune is now completely stuck in my head. I also liked Edward VanHelgen contribution to it. Overall, that song really wouldn't feel all that out of place in an actual Monkey Island game. Great job!

Edit: I decided to quickly type up a memoir entry. Of course, I'm a little restricted because I don't know many of the details of the plot/storyline. But, I did this mostly for fun. I don't actually expect it to be used.

"The last thing I remember is being pursued by my arch-nemesis, LeChuck, through a series of mysterious underground tunnels with architecture unlike that I've ever seen. I tried my best to escape him, but ever corner I turned only led me back into his clutches. That was, until I defeated him. At least I think I defeated him. What began as a clear victory for me soon turned to confusion. My memory is hazy and I remember very little of the peculiar events that occurred inside those tunnels. It surely must have been a spell from the zombie pirate, what other explanation could there be? I have underestimated that undead corpse's powers in voodoo. How could I be so foolish as to think that I could actually defeat him with a mere voodoo doll? But for now, all that is on my mind is getting out of here. I must seek out the true secret of Big Whoop, I have to find Elaine and let her know I'm alright. And I must run as far from LeChuck as possible; for all I know, he could still be after me."
  • edited November 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    I'm really liking some of the stuff I'm seeing and hearing here. I think that Trenchfoot's idea is great - it reminds me of Ricky Gervais' character out of 'Night at the Museum' (that being a good thing).

And Silverwolfpet, that little tune is now completely stuck in my head. I also liked Edward VanHelgen contribution to it. Overall, that song really wouldn't feel all that out of place in an actual Monkey Island game. Great job!

Edit: I decided to quickly type up a memoir entry. Of course, I'm a little restricted because I don't know many of the details of the plot/storyline. But, I did this mostly for fun. I don't actually expect it to be used.

"The last thing I remember is being pursued by my arch-nemesis, LeChuck, through a series of mysterious underground tunnels with architecture unlike that I've ever seen. I tried my best to escape him, but ever corner I turned only led me back into his clutches. That was, until I defeated him. At least I think I defeated him. What began as a clear victory for me soon turned to confusion. My memory is hazy and I remember very little of the peculiar events that occurred inside those tunnels. It surely must have been a spell from the zombie pirate, what other explanation could there be? I have underestimated that undead corpse's powers in voodoo. How could I be so foolish as to think that I could actually defeat him with a mere voodoo doll? But for now, all that is on my mind is getting out of here. I must seek out the true secret of Big Whoop, I have to find Elaine and let her know I'm alright. And I must run as far from LeChuck as possible; for all I know, he could still be after me."

Dude, those are perfect memoirs! Couldn't have put the story better myself. I think I'll have you on board for some writing. Maybe some ideas for chapter titles?
  • edited November 2010
    Dude, those are perfect memoirs! Couldn't have put the story better myself. I think I'll have you on board for some writing. Maybe some ideas for chapter titles?

Yeah, sure thing. I'd be happy to join :). Though I may not be able to devote as much time to it as I'd like, I'll see what I can do.

Also: Just a thought, should we include LeChuck's skeletal horde? We never saw them in 'LeChuck's Revenge', but they featured heavily in 'Curse...'. So I figured if we included them, it would sort of aid the continuity (albeit unofficially).
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, sure thing. I'd be happy to join :). Though I may not be able to devote as much time to it as I'd like, I'll see what I can do.

Cool, well if you can PM me your wave address we can discuss the chapter titles on there.
  • edited November 2010
    Anyway, game ideas should be discussed on our wave page so they are in one place. It won't spoil people who aren't working on the game.
  • edited November 2010
    Cool, well if you can PM me your wave address we can discuss the chapter titles on there.

Will do - I've just gotta make an account first :).
    Anyway, game ideas should be discussed on our wave page so they are in one place. It won't spoil people who aren't working on the game.

Ooh, yeah, good point.
  • edited November 2010
    UPDATE: I've got the program now. The interface looks simple enough to work with. Good to see you can input video in so we could make an entire game cutscene, something that lacks with AGS.
  • edited November 2010
    You should also check out Visionaire Studio. Sadly, it isn't free, but it has some very nice features.
    http://www.visionaire-studio.net/cms/welcome-2.html

Wintermute is good too (and free)
    http://dead-code.org/home/
  • edited November 2010
    Also, just a thought, are you planning on making this one, long[-ish], continuous game, or are you planning on releasing it episodically, chapter-by-chapter?

I like this idea! we could have, like, 3 chapters, and that way we can make the game longer than the average fan game and we can also develop the story more and have more suspense. and then at the end we can release the ultimate edition.
  • edited November 2010
    I like this idea! we could have, like, 3 chapters, and that way we can make the game longer than the average fan game and we can also develop the story more and have more suspense. and then at the end we can release the ultimate edition.

Too right. First ever episodic Monkey Island fan game (to my knowledge).
  • edited November 2010

It's... BEAUTIFUL!

By the way, if anyone's wondering why we have a mixture of DeSinge and Joseph Ducreux, I've recently become enchanted by the Joseph Ducreux meme. You know, this one;
    tumblr_ktj5u1G3BB1qzd4jto1_500.jpg
  • edited November 2010
    You could use Avistew as voice-actor. She is French after all (so no fake accent, but a real one).

Then Guybrush can keep bugging him about sounding like a woman to boot :D.
  • edited November 2010
    About Stan, I thought about this: He keeps saying that his Previously Owned Coffins™ are comfortable. How about that: Stan's Previously Owned Coffin™ would have holes for the arms, legs and head (Although it would be funny if this part is discarded) so that Stan would look like he is wearing a coffin? (He might ask Guybrush to dye it so it looks like his jacket.) Later, he will get out of the coffin just to be pushed into a regular one.

I would have liked to help with the voice acting, but unfortunately I don't have a good microphone. And by the way, what kinds of voices do you expect other characters to have? And what accents?
  • edited November 2010
    So... Anyone liked my audition? It's ok if you say no, but I just wanna know :)
  • edited November 2010

Yeah, I gave it a quick listen and actually quite liked it! Reasonably good, man :). Although, a minor nit-pick; in the first 10 seconds or so, you made a lot of noises from the back of your throat (which I can't re-create in text). Just try to avoid doing that a bit. There was nothing really all that wrong with it, but I'm admittedly a pedant. The rest of the audition was good, though - the pitch, the accent, the tongue rolls; they were all good.
  • edited November 2010

I really liked your audition. A really good french accent, but I do agree with Hayden about the "throat noises". Other than that, it's a really good voice.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks a lot, guys! And I'm sorry about the throat noises, as some other people have pointed out that problem to me. I don't know why I make it, but it's not voluntary, I assure you. I don't know if that's better :p

However, if I get the part, I'll try my besst to avoid the weird noises :)
  • edited November 2010
    Sorry to keep this post short, a bit busy here, movie stuff:

- I am sorry but I do not have time for wave, not now anyway
    - I like your how your guitar sounds, Edward, so I vote to keep the song like that (what I composed + your addons)
    - In the future, I'd like to work on the songs together... maybe we can PM about that, not sure yet
    - I love the idea of Stan's hands being out of the coffin! Can we please put that in the game? It would be brilliant!

That's it for now. Wish me luck!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.