Riddles of Monkey Island: time to recruit for this fan game!

12346»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    It's pretty cool, but from what I've heard, this game will be Curse-styled, which your background is not.
  • edited March 2011
    Alex IDV wrote: »
    It's pretty cool, but from what I've heard, this game will be Curse-styled, which your background is not.

I thought that there was at least a hint of that Curse style (mainly the water I guess) but I must admit that I found it tricky to emulate someone elses style.
  • edited March 2011
    It is tricky, but I think you've done a decent job here. I think I might welcome you on board anyway. Like I've said to other people, even if you're not comfortable doing final versions, we could always do with some concept artists. And, from what I've seen here, you'd probably be terrific at providing blackbat (our background artist) with some great templates (for want of a better word) to go off.

And, in case you're wondering, backgrounds like the one you've drawn would be fine for this fan game, but given the art direction we're already going it, it would probably feel/look a bit out of place.
  • edited March 2011
    Stan's hypnosis clinic! Plain awesome! :D Perhaps there'll be a place for it in your story?
  • edited March 2011
    Cyrus7 wrote: »
    Stan's hypnosis clinic! Plain awesome! :D Perhaps there'll be a place for it in your story?

We'll see. I'll keep it in mind. It won't appear in Episode 1, but there's probably room for it in Episode 2 & 3. I like the idea; I'll see if I can integrate it.
  • edited April 2011
    19tjpt.jpg

Here's my background again with better colours and a few small addictions, plus at a higher-res.

P.S. If you're going with the Stan's Hypnosis concept then could I ask to be consulted on some of the details because I was thinking of using that idea for a future fangame. I don't mind you guys going in that direction but I would ask for a level of involvement just because of giving credit where credit's due and all.

By the way I've come up with a nice art style for a simple adventure game I'm thinking of making. I'll post some concept art some time.
  • edited April 2011
    I know I'm a bit late, but would you be needing an additional composer? :P I could try writing some pieces on my violin.
  • edited April 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    If you're going with the Stan's Hypnosis concept then could I ask to be consulted on some of the details because I was thinking of using that idea for a future fangame. I don't mind you guys going in that direction but I would ask for a level of involvement just because of giving credit where credit's due and all.

Certainly. But, first of all, I actually have to come up with ideas as to where and how it's going to be used. If we end up using it, I'll be sure to let you in on the details and allow you to have your desired level on input and involvement (and include you in the credits).

Also, we don't have to use the idea. If you're even the slightest bit uncomfortable with us using the idea, then we'll/I'll be happy to exclude it.

But, in saying that, I do like the idea and I would like to use it somewhere in the game.
    Ankalagon wrote: »
    I know I'm a bit late, but would you be needing an additional composer? :P I could try writing some pieces on my violin.

Well, we do have a decent amount of composers and musicians on the team already. But a violin is something I'd love to hear in the soundtrack, and as far as I know, we don't have any other violinists on the team. Firstly, just wondering, is there any chance you could provide us with some samples of pieces of music you've written and/or recorded in the past? It would just be helpful ;).
  • edited April 2011
    Well I haven't written anything organised enough to be presented, but I'll write some stuff now. The only problem is recording my violin. I'll figure it out when I have some time.
  • edited April 2011
    Well I haven't written anything organised enough to be presented, but I'll write some stuff now.

Excellent :). Also, don't rush; you've got all the time in the world. Implementing sound is one of the final stages of building the game.
    The only problem is recording my violin. I'll figure it out when I have some time.

Ah, I see. Well, as I said, there's no urgency or rush yet, so feel free to take your time in figuring everything out ;).
  • edited April 2011
    Nice :D, then I'll see what I can do. I'll probably present something during Easter.
  • edited April 2011
    i would like to help, what jobs are open
  • edited April 2011
    My another suggestion would be making some references to MI fanfics like the Biggest Whoop, The-volcano-that-ate-LeChuck(tm) or something else (those two were just random suggestions) - of course, if it would be appropriate.
  • edited June 2011
    Ehm does anyone know of a downloadable and easy to use kit for composing music? With preferably realistic organ sounds and stuff. I don't want to buy anything as I just need it to show the members of the project some of my compositions unti I find a way to record my violin, if there is still need.
  • edited June 2011
    [...]I just need it to show the members of the project some of my compositions unti I find a way to record my violin, if there is still need.

Don't worry, there's still the need. And I'll remind you that there's no rush; if you can't get your music recorded in time for episode 1, then there's always episode 2 and 3, and it should be a while away before those are made.
  • edited June 2011
    Yes I know I just used it so that you wouldn't feel "obliged" to take a look at them xD, anyway I still need a decent programme :P
  • edited June 2011
    Ehm does anyone know of a downloadable and easy to use kit for composing music? With preferably realistic organ sounds and stuff. I don't want to buy anything as I just need it to show the members of the project some of my compositions unti I find a way to record my violin, if there is still need.

If you're using Cubase or your composition are in MIDI, I could help you to render your themes as realistic possible :)

EDIT: Sorry I hadn't read well! You could use Audacity, it's a free software. YOu can load VST (Virtual instruments) and you just find the VST that you need.
    There are many VSTs in the worldwide, and many of these are free. Sorry for this awful explanation ! :D
  • edited June 2011
    Davies, I didn't know you were a artist! How awesome is this!? A game made by my friends! So cool!
  • edited June 2011
    If you're using Cubase or your composition are in MIDI, I could help you to render your themes as realistic possible :)

EDIT: Sorry I hadn't read well! You could use Audacity, it's a free software. YOu can load VST (Virtual instruments) and you just find the VST that you need.
    There are many VSTs in the worldwide, and many of these are free. Sorry for this awful explanation ! :D

Aah thanks a lot :D, I 'll try it out. Thanks for the offer too :P
  • edited July 2011
    By the way, perhaps you'll include this kind of Easter Egg in your game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw_U0XjdlHg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aNg-oJTbTI
  • edited July 2011
    Hello all,
    I'm new to the forum but am a pretty much lifelong fan of the MI games. My favorite is Curse.
    If you still need help with the fan game, count me in. I can do artwork and some basic animation. I may be able to help out with voices if you still need an Elaine but this isn't my strong suit.
    I've attached a sample of some fan art for your consideration, drawn in Adobe Illustrator and using the aforementioned Curse style as much as possible.
    I'd really love to design the splash screen & player interface (aesthetics only- designer, not coder;)) if you need that done. I'm working on a mockup right now and will post when I get it done.
    CMI Ship
  • edited July 2011
    dmassing wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I'm new to the forum but am a pretty much lifelong fan of the MI games. My favorite is Curse.
    If you still need help with the fan game, count me in. I can do artwork and some basic animation. I may be able to help out with voices if you still need an Elaine but this isn't my strong suit.
    I've attached a sample of some fan art for your consideration, drawn in Adobe Illustrator and using the aforementioned Curse style as much as possible.
    I'd really love to design the splash screen & player interface (aesthetics only- designer, not coder;)) if you need that done. I'm working on a mockup right now and will post when I get it done.
    CMI Ship

Welcome to the forums :)
    I gotta say that ship looks epic! Nice job!!! :guybrush:

(and yes, I did use this as a random excuse to post the Guybrush emoticon :P)
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks!
    Love the emoticon :)
  • edited July 2011
    All done with mockup #1. Clicky!:)
    So here's the rundown on how this would work:
    This is basically the save, load, quit screen user interface.
    The compasses along the bottom would be active to mouseover and clicks.
    The pointer is the red dagger.
    When the user mouses over each compass, a different character appears inside the blank circle. I was thinking that Guybrush could be the second button, then LeChuck, Elaine, Stan, etc.
    I went through a lot of work and time in drawing this in Adobe Illustrator. The good news is that I used multiple layers so everything is easier to edit if changes are proposed.
    I read the previous discussions about Carnival and I would really love to be involved. What is the status of the game??
    I didn't see any mention of Murray in the game, but if you remember correctly he was stuck on that shelf in CMI next to where Dingy Dog guessed age/weight. I think he should have some kind of part in the game (he usually does!):D
  • edited October 2011
    Only just found out about this from the AGS forums this looks great, if you still need it I'd love to do some voice over ( it's really hard to track what still needs doing from this thread)

Some VA stuffs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x78tcAF0I18&feature=youtu.be
  • edited November 2011
    dmassing, we're actually at the stage of the game/episode where we're finally starting to build it, meaning that the script is essentially finished, most of our backgrounds are completed, and quite a number of our sprites are complete, with the rest in a concept stage, and things are finally progressing past the pre-production phase, and into the development stage.
    I regret to tell you that we're already working on a menu interface - one which also fits in a little better with the overall theme of the game itself.
    What you've created here is marvelous, though; I love what you've done; your style is very distinctive and appealing.

So, from what I've seen here, you'd be welcome to come aboard, even be it simply for concept art and planning of visuals. And I'm sure your animation skills will come in handy as well. I'll just run everything by the rest of the team, and we'll see if we've got room to welcome in another member ;)

Azure, okay, you're simply wonderful. What I've heard from that video of yours is just terrific. You would be great to have in the project, and I can think of a few roles that you could potentially fill (both minor and major). Thank you so much for offering to lend your voice to this project.

For the time being, though, we probably won't need to be recording dialogue just yet, as we'll do that towards the end of the episode's production, when the majority of it is complete. I'll be sure to contact you at that time.

By the way, though, just wondering, are you capable of doing a competent impression of the Voodoo Lady, by any chance? She's one of the female characters who will feature quite prominently throughout the course of the game, and to get a good voice for her would be excellent!
  • edited November 2011
    Sorry for the slow reply! TBH I don't think I'd be able to pull off voodoo lady, I will keep an ear out for people who might be able to do it though!
  • edited December 2011
    A new screen for those who haven't seen it yet:
    b386519478319.jpg
  • edited December 2011
    Perfect screen! Well done!
  • edited December 2011
    so when should the game come out
  • edited April 2012
    Wow, it looks really great!! Are you guys still working on this?
    If you need any help please let me know! I'm mainly a composer/sound designer but maybe there's some other things that I can help with..
  • edited April 2012
    Wow, it looks really great!! Are you guys still working on this?
    If you need any help please let me know! I'm mainly a composer/sound designer but maybe there's some other things that I can help with..
  • edited April 2012
    Yes, it's being worked on, although very slowly. It's definitely picked up a little.

To the team members, you should check out the forum.
  • edited April 2013
    Hey folks, I don't mean to dig up old threads, but I've got to ask, is the project canceled like the Eurogamer article says? If so, what happened?
  • edited April 2013
    It is, unfortunately. A lot of material and news from the project had been circulated, and we were probably lucky to avoid getting a C&D shoved under our noses already. So we thought it best to pull the plug while we still could, before we got caught up in any legal trouble; we just want to be safe, basically, especially when you're talking about a company like Disney.

This is all very sad, I know, and nobody's more disappointed than we are, after all the hard work we'd put into the game. Things were moving slowly, admittedly, but the spark and the excitement were still there; the project WAS still alive. But this is just the nature of the industry, unfortunately, and we're a victim of it.

With that being said, however, we're currently discussing the (very large) possibility of working together on an original concept. So hopefully the spirit of the project (at least) will be carried on into a new creation.

Thank you for all of your interest and excitement about the project. It's really quite flattering and it means a lot.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.