Riddles of Monkey Island: time to recruit for this fan game!

Comments

• edited December 2010
    wdrpgwd wrote: »
    Thanks for the consideration Hayden. :) I havn't been around much since TOMI ended. Glad to see you're still around.

I'm not looking to step on anyones toe's though. If SWP wants to do it himself then I'll live.... :(

No, I'm sure he'd be fine with you pitching in. Plus, there's nothing wrong with having more people making music. If anything, it means there'll be a greater diversity in the music that we have in the game - which, really, can only be a good thing :).
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks guys, I'll be glad to help. It's late now so maybe I'll contact SWP tomorrow unless he wants to contact me. I see that he is around here still. Just let me know what I need to do next. Thanks.
  • edited December 2010
    wdrpgwd wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I'll be glad to help. It's late now so maybe I'll contact SWP tomorrow unless he wants to contact me. I see that he is around here still. Just let me know what I need to do next. Thanks.

I have asked Silverwolfpet if he's willing to have another member on the team to work on music. Once he replies (and says 'yes'), I'll send you the link to our secret planning location (oOoh!).
  • edited December 2010
    I do not imagine he would say no...
  • edited December 2010
    No, neither would I. That's why I'm tempted to just send him the link right away. But it's still best to just get Silverwolfpet's approval. Or perhaps I'm being overly pedantic.
  • edited December 2010
    What sort of scenes for backgrounds would you want? I'd love to try designing one....
  • edited December 2010
    I was messing around with SWP's theme song and tried to make it fit to a crypt setting. It's a bit messy. I don't want to put too much work into a song that may not be usable in a game. Just an example.

Circus Crypt
  • edited December 2010
    Holy crap, is that thing ever full of Curse nostalgia. Awesome work.
  • edited December 2010
    Holy crap, is that thing ever full of Curse nostalgia. Awesome work.

Thanks Guru, it isn't finished but I appreciate the words. SWP's theme is stuck in my head so I made it into a piratey cove type song. I like the way its going so far.

Skurvy Cove
  • edited December 2010
    Those are awesome! I love the fact that you used the same sample that seemed to been used on CoMI. What sample is it by the way?

And I have a little idea for a song, musically speaking... Can I try and show it to you guys? While I'm no match to Silver or Wdrpgwd, I've been having a little creepy tune hanging around for some time now and I think it could fit nicely here. And if you guys like it, maybe the real composers around here could arrange it so that it wouldn't sound so amateur!

(Stars going to the piano...)
  • edited December 2010
    My personal wish: some red herring items like the ones found in the snake's stomach in CMI. This is one of my favourite things in CMI and adventure games in general.
    thecurseofmonkeyislandl.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    We'll see what we can do ;). We're doing something a little similar towards the end of the game.
  • edited December 2010
    How are you guys doing this, are you in contact with each other via email, or do you have a sight you are working together on? (dont worry im not asking for the site if you are on one.)
  • edited December 2010
    Chidgos wrote: »
    Just come across this today. Loving the idea and some really great assets coming along too. I would love to get involved somehow with the creation of this game. I have many different skills that could be used in many different areas. What kind of roles do you have going? Just out of curiosity.

Good work guys.

Ooh, sorry, I seem to have missed this comment. Yes, we are still looking for recruits and further additions to the team. We really are mostly after artists and animators, so if you can help out in those areas, then that would be great. Of course, we'll need a small sample of your work (if you're planning on contributing artistically). Just out of interest, have you worked on any similar projects in the past?
    prizna wrote: »
    How are you guys doing this, are you in contact with each other via email, or do you have a sight you are working together on? (dont worry im not asking for the site if you are on one.)

Well, initially, we started out planning on Google Wave. But things got a little hectic and disorganized, so we moved to a private forum. Things are much better there, and we're moving a lot quicker and smoother.

I'm not sure if I should be blurting all of this, but I see no harm in doing so.
  • edited December 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Ooh, sorry, I seem to have missed this comment. Yes, we are still looking for recruits and further additions to the team. We really are mostly after artists and animators, so if you can help out in those areas, then that would be great. Of course, we'll need a small sample of your work (if you're planning on contributing artistically). Just out of interest, have you worked on any similar projects in the past?

Well, initially, we started out planning on Google Wave. But things got a little hectic and disorganized, so we moved to a private forum. Things are much better there, and we're moving a lot quicker and smoother.

I'm not sure if I should be blurting all of this, but I see no harm in doing so.

Thanks, cant wait for the game.
  • edited December 2010
    Hayden wrote: »

Well ive done a lot of animation in the past both 3d and 2d. Would help if i knew what graphical style you are using so i could maybe make some sample work for you to see. Ive never worked on a fan game before but have done lots of solo game stuff like mods, level design, animation, creating assets etc. What exactly are you using to create the game just so i could do some research and stuff to see what tools i will need to use.
  • edited December 2010
    if anybody here wants to work on sam and max stuff, we really need help on the sam and max fan game project
  • edited December 2010
    Chidgos wrote: »
    Well ive done a lot of animation in the past both 3d and 2d. Would help if i knew what graphical style you are using so i could maybe make some sample work for you to see. Ive never worked on a fan game before but have done lots of solo game stuff like mods, level design, animation, creating assets etc. What exactly are you using to create the game just so i could do some research and stuff to see what tools i will need to use.

I'll send you a sample of the artistic style we're going for. It sounds like you'd be a great addition to the team, going off what you've said here.

And we'll be using AGS.
  • edited December 2010
    Aw man! I'd love to work on a Sam and Max project.:(
  • edited January 2011
    How's it going? When can we expect the trailer?
  • edited January 2011
    Cyrus7 wrote: »
    How's it going? When can we expect the trailer?

Things are still coming along. We've stalled a little bit seeing as how we had to endure the Christmas period, where all must begrudgingly spend time with family (:D), and then the New Year period. However, things have never completely ceased, and I'm hoping we can start moving forward at an increased rate soon.

I've begun finishing off the script for episode one, said script nearly being completed. We've had a number of backgrounds completed, with a few other ones comfortably planned out. MonkeyMania has done sprites for 4 characters already. We have music coming out of our ears thanks to SilverWolfPet and wdrpgwd who have both done a wonderful job so far.

Game building... hasn't really commenced yet, but all of this pre-production stuff is coming along quite nicely, and I genuinely believe that we can end up with a very nice-looking, nice-sounding fan game with interesting characters and an interesting plot/story.

We could probably throw together a very simple promotional trailer quite quickly, but it wouldn't exactly feature anything substantial. And, to be completely honest, it would be a little pointless at this moment in time seeing as how we're not at all close enough to a release date.

Anyway, as for speeding things up a bit, I think I'm going to do some more scouting for potential team members, and perhaps put up a recruiting thread in the MixNMojo section of the LucasForums.

But yeah, I like how things are going; I'm excited about quite a few things to do with this projects, and I can assure you that it will not die or come to a standstill. I don't think any of the core team are going to allow that to happen.

Thank you for your interest once again; it's nice to know that people are wanting to know things about this project :).
  • edited January 2011
    bump
  • edited January 2011
    Alright, so at the moment, guys, we're looking for another background artist.

More specifically, we're looking for a really good background artist; someone who's capable of capturing and reproducing the art style of 'Curse of Monkey Island'. Or, if not reproducing, then at least being capable of producing artwork that bears some resemblance to Tiller's style (meaning exaggerated features, cartoon-y visuals, etc.). But a close imitation of his style would be ideal.

Anyone who's able to create such artwork is more than welcome to join the team. Thanks :).

Also: If one of the mods could perhaps change the name of this thread to 'Carnival of Monkey Island: time to recruit for this fan game!', then that would be nice, thanks :).
  • edited January 2011
    Ask Irishmile, he should be involved more often. He's talented, I'd love to play a game where he was involved.
  • edited January 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    Ask Irishmile, he should be involved more often. He's talented, I'd love to play a game where he was involved.

Luckily he's already involved, then ;). He was in the team almost from the start, and has already completed one whole background. But I think he wants to forget about doing backgrounds, and more just focus on smaller bits of scenery, since his artistic style differs significantly from Blackbat's (our other background artist). Here are some examples of her artistic style - she captures the 'CoMI' look almost perfectly. That's why we need someone else who is capable of doing so, so that the look of the game is consistent.
  • edited January 2011
    To me it sounds like you have most of the artists enlisted with those sort of talents/ discilplines, arleady.
  • edited January 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    To me it sounds like you have most of the artists enlisted with those sort of talents/ discilplines, arleady.

Well, we've got Blackbat, Irishmile... and that's about it. And while two people working on the visual side of the game is good, it wouldn't hurt to have one more.
  • edited January 2011
    Hola. My name's Matt, some people might vaguely know my floundering website, Nightlight Productions.

Happy to come aboard as LeChuck, and any other voices you see fit. I played the part in Beneath Monkey Island, and currently The Power of Monkey Island.

If you listen to 'Beneath', don't worry, I can now manage the voice without going 'scottish'. I can send you some samples if you like.

Plus I'm a fellow Aussie. :P
  • edited January 2011
    Hey Matt! Yeah, samples would be great, if that's okay. I'm glad that we have another person willing to do voicework; we certainly need some more.
  • edited February 2011
    Will there be any carnival merchandise like LeChuck zombie pirate toys and Smuggle Bunnies in CMI?
  • edited February 2011
    Will there be any carnival merchandise like LeChuck zombie pirate toys and Smuggle Bunnies in CMI?

Thank you for bringing this up :), we'll definitely have to include these somewhere in the scenery, or perhaps as inventory items too.
  • edited February 2011
    The Pirate Zombie Toy and the plush Dinghy Dog already were inventory items in CMI, so I would prefer something different. For example, a plush Rat (you can see it at Dinghy's stand), a Smuggle Bunny or something new. Besides, I'm interested to see other carnival attributes: drinks, ice cream, probably balloons, etc.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, I like the idea of including a Smuggle Bunny as an inventory item, I always thought they were cool anyway. Balloons are already an inventory item, a drink (grog) is, ice cream isn't (though that's a possibility), and we've got a piece of scenery related to the Wharf Rat which may or may not become an inventory item (though it will be selectable, I assume).
  • edited March 2011
    I've got another idea: perhaps it would be interesting to include El Pollo Diablo in person, either as a part of the plot or an Easter egg? This thread made me think about it.
  • edited March 2011
    A Monkey Island fan game? That would be really awsome!
    I already bookmarked this thread! :D
  • edited March 2011
    I'm a composer! And if the spot isn't taken I'm eager to help.
  • edited March 2011
    I've got another idea: perhaps it would be interesting to include El Pollo Diablo in person, either as a part of the plot or an Easter egg? This thread made me think about it.

Heh :), while this would be fun, I don't think will be having anything El Pollo Diablo-related, as he's on Plunder Island, and this game takes place on Monkey. It would just feel a bit forced. Though I do want to make a minor reference to this thread somewhere in the game.
    A Monkey Island fan game? That would be really awsome!
    I already bookmarked this thread! :D

Ah, no, expectations! :D
    Soracha wrote: »
    I'm a composer! And if the spot isn't taken I'm eager to help.

We have many composers currently on the team already (4, I think). But I think the music is an aspect of the game where you actually can't ruin it with too many people. So, hey, I wouldn't object at all to having another composer on the team. However, I will have to consult the other guys. In the meantime, could you possibly provide us with a sample of your work?
  • edited March 2011
    Any references to other Telltale games, like Puzzle Agent?
  • edited March 2011
    Ah, no, not as of yet. But thank you for mentioning 'Puzzle Agent'; it's given me a nice little idea!
  • edited March 2011
    I posted this on another thread but I doubt it's good enough (I'm not even sure that you're still looking for background artists)...

[IMG][/img]2cpsrdi.jpg
Sign in to comment in this discussion.