Puzzle Agent 2!

JakeJake Telltale Alumni
pa2.jpg

What!

There's not a lot to say yet, but Puzzle Agent 2 is happening! Read little else about it at the Puzzle Agent 2 site.

Watch the teaser trailer!

This article at CBR has some more info as well.

An excerpt:
"I'm just over the top, thrilled that I'm here getting ready to do the next game for 'Puzzle Agent.' I did not anticipate that initially. I just knew that I wanted to make a game that I, myself, would want to play."

Annable told CBR that, while many details of "Puzzle Agent 2" are still being worked out, he expects the gameplay mechanics to be similar to the original -- but better. "The first time out was the first time out for all of us, and there was definitely a lot of chatter on the forums about some of the puzzles not being where people wanted them to be," Annable said, laughing. "So we're very well aware of that. But storywise, we mapped out a whole entire story arc that went way beyond the first game -- we thought maybe, possibly we'd do more. We certainly hoped we would -- so now we're getting a chance to play the rest of the story out and that's more my focus, but technically there's a whole team of guys shoring up whatever we think we can improve upon."

Comments

• edited February 2011
    My only question is if it'll be substantially longer then the average Telltale Game, seeing as it's designed as a standalone.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    My only question is if it'll be substantially longer then the average Telltale Game, seeing as it's designed as a standalone.

Was Puzzle Agent substantially longer than an average Telltale game? We haven't talked about pricing or scope or anything yet so, as usual, don't jump to conclusions. :)

We had a story that Sean and Mark and Graham set out with before Mark wrote the script to the first Puzzle Agent, but we obviously didn't get all the way through that story in the pilot episode. It was uncertain at that point how many more games would be in the series, if any, so we picked a "where would this end if it were an episode of the X-Files" point to end the first game, always hoping, though, that we could go back and tell the rest of that story. It's super exciting to be able to go and dig out that story doc and actually share the rest of the story with everyone else. We put a lot of small hooks and references into the first game in the hopes that we'd be able to continue the story, so (we hope) it will be fulfilling to play the second one and see things pay off.
  • edited February 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    Was Puzzle Agent substantially longer than an average Telltale game? We haven't talked about pricing or anything yet so, as usual, don't jump to conclusions. :)

Well, I'm moreso meaning that Puzzle Agent was designed with room for development, whereas this is designed to wrap up loose ends, with subtext saying more or less 'this is maybe the last one so it should be good'.
    edited February 2011
    Well, I'm moreso meaning that Puzzle Agent was designed with room for development, whereas this is designed to wrap up loose ends, with subtext saying more or less 'this is maybe the last one so it should be good'.

"It should be good" is our official marketing slogan now, thanks!

I think the first Puzzle Agent game (and all of the Grickle cartoons before it) set the precedent that not everything should be wrapped up with a neat little bow on top -- some things are best left unexplained or alluded to -- but the first game was built almost entirely out of loose ends! There was definitely more going on in Scoggins than Nelson was able to suss out before the first game ended, and we'll be trying to get to the bottom of some of it PA2.
  • edited February 2011
    Yay! I loved the first game (so Grickle in atmosphere and ending). Now don't you disappoint me like Sam and Max Season 3 did, okay? I'm just asking nicely...
  • edited February 2011
    If nothing else, I have to say I like the imagery in the trailer and the poster, in the way that the red light mimics the Hidden People's hats. Very nicely done.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm happy of this one! :)
    Perfect chioce to be one single episode. :)
    I hope in a little bit harder difficulty now. :P
  • edited February 2011
    YESSSS!

Is it really going to be released in spring/summer? For how long have you been working on this? Is the episodic concept trashed?

So much question, but I'm only interested in these really?
    Thanks!
  • edited February 2011
    "The first time out was the first time out for all of us, and there was definitely a lot of chatter on the forums about some of the puzzles not being where people wanted them to be," Annable said, laughing.
    Sooo... less jigsaw puzzles?
    SOLD!
  • edited February 2011
    I expected an episodic series, truth to be told. Still, this is one of the two announcements that did not disappoint me (other being Hector). A sequel, now that's a tough thing to accomplish. I still wonder how different they can make it from the first one. I wouldn't think of that if it was simply the Episode 2 rather than the Game 2...
  • edited February 2011
    I'm a huge gamer, and I write about games for a living... Yet one of the VERY few games-related things that my fiancee has ever asked (and she's asked it over and over and over) is: "When are they going to make another Puzzle Agent?"

So this news has made us both very, very happy :) I'm pretty stoked.
  • edited February 2011
    I planning on digging into the first game soon, so I don't know how it ends or anything yet, but I'm a bit dissapointed that the gnomes are back (according to the trailer). I was hoping for an entirely new concept. Of course, there's probably some meat still left on that plotline, so who knows...
  • edited February 2011
    I like that shot of Nelson and his shadow. :) If the designers and story writers think this works better as a second game rather than an episodic series, that works for me just as well.
  • edited February 2011
    Glad to hear it, Jake. I'm fine with some loose ends, but I think the original Puzzle Agent had too many to not warrant a sequel. Although it's a bit of a shame that there isn't going to be a fully fledged season, I'm glad the story will be wrapped up to some extent. Is it the same team working on the sequel as the first game?
  • edited February 2011
    Yes, yes....YES. This is going to be great, also Nelson looks great in that post.
  • edited February 2011
    I was hoping for a season, but this is definitely welcome. :)
  • edited February 2011
    I'm actually surprised that the Scoggins story is being finished, instead of being left mysterious forever like Twin Peaks. Also, I'm anxious about the 'space dreams' subplot. I was hoping that it would be explored and resolved over the course of a full season. Hopefully, if it gets resolved in this game, it's done satisfyingly.
  • edited February 2011
    BiggerJ wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised that the Scoggins story is being finished, instead of being left mysterious forever like Twin Peaks. Also, I'm anxious about the 'space dreams' subplot. I was hoping that it would be explored and resolved over the course of a full season. Hopefully, if it gets resolved in this game, it's done satisfyingly.

Nobody said it would have a conclusive ending.... It may just yet end weird and crazy.
  • edited February 2011
    WHY NO EPISODIC?????

Don't worry I'm still buying it, I'm just curious.
  • edited February 2011
    Can we at least have 50+ puzzles this time like we were promised last time? :p
  • edited February 2011
    That was just a wee bit bothersome in the first one...
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Nobody said it would have a conclusive ending.... It may just yet end weird and crazy.

They did say:
    After the success of the pilot episode of Puzzle Agent, we're going to conclude the story of Nelson Tethers' investigation into the strange occurrences in Scoggins, Minnesota.

You'd like to think they'll give him closure.
  • edited February 2011
    Yipppeeeeh! Finally a new Puzzle agent.

Lets hope for lots of puzzles and strange gnomes.
  • edited February 2011

Yeah, that bugged me too. Weren't there only like 40 something, despite the descryption saying 50?
  • edited February 2011
    WHY NO EPISODIC?????

Don't worry I'm still buying it, I'm just curious.
    This. Fantastic news though!
  • edited February 2011
    Fantastic news, I really liked the first one.

Maybe this standalone game thing is better for this kind of game. One puzzle agent game a year sounds great to me ;)
  • edited February 2011
    Hooray! I love puzzle games! It is games like Puzzle Agent that will make TTG successful for a long, long time. :)

Let's just hope Nelson brings a larger supply of gum along this time. ;)
  • edited February 2011
    I was just wondering, wouldn't the proper term be "A standing-Gnome game" not a standalone game?

Hee-Hee.
  • edited February 2011
    Hell Yeah!!!!!! SO can't wait!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Puzzle Agent 2 FTW!
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, that bugged me too. Weren't there only like 40 something, despite the descryption saying 50?

I think it was only 36, actually.
  • edited February 2011
    I think it was only 36, actually.

37. So close, but you will be going home with the Telltale Forums Home Game, guaranteed to waste away millions of precious hours that you only wish you could get back!
    edited February 2011

That was a sad, weird, and fortunately rare case of marketing throwing out a number without asking the team first. We'd always thought it was "30+" and then were surprised to see "50+" on the site. I still feel bad about that.
  • edited February 2011
    Has a early beta been leaked? If so, how did it end up outside my house? I found this whilst walking through my dining room/study and it scared the pants off me.

Attachment not found.

:eek:
  • edited February 2011
    Thank you for having another go at Puzzle Agent! Let's hope you have a lot of new intersting puzzles in your bag! I'll preorder as soon as possible. :)
  • edited February 2011
    Cheeseness wrote: »
    Has a early beta been leaked? If so, how did it end up outside my house? I found this whilst walking through my dining room/study and it scared the pants off me.

Attachment not found.

AHahahahahaah!!!!
    Awesome! :D
  • edited February 2011
    Cheeseness wrote: »

*snip*

Oh god I'm so going to have to do that to my girlfriend. She scares really easily and loved Puzzle Agent.
  • edited February 2011
    I truly am happy about this game being announced, although I have yet to play the first one. Here's to more Puzzle Agent! :)
  • edited February 2011
    Rim-Fire wrote: »
    Oh god I'm so going to have to do that to my girlfriend. She scares really easily and loved Puzzle Agent.

What a coincidence. It was my girlfriend that put it out there.

I also caught her trying to sneak the creepy painting seen in the last two SBCG4AP episodes into our wardrobe (which is sad, because I was planning to do that to her.
  • edited February 2011
    More Puzzle Agent! That was the only announcement I was excited about honestly, but I can't wait for it! Me and my brother loved the first, and are looking forward to more!
  • edited February 2011
    This is the only OMG INSTANT BUYZZZ for me here, but I defenently am checking out Walking Dead.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.