Michael J. Fox in Episode 5 - discussion

Comments

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    I MOSTLY bumped my thread because I was wondering if it even still existed.

You know, technically, now that MJF has been given an episode, we could lock the "Give MJF one episode" thread, don't you think? :D
  • edited June 2011
    It's beautiful. I really wanted this to happen, that's no surprise. How beautiful is that it is happening? This guy, M J Fox, he has the strongest will to live his life, and the greatest passion to see it through to his fullest. It's remarkable, and it's a beautiful thing. And I find it very inspiring that he is going through with this.

There's a great story to be told, where people will one day look back and see a man who loved what he did, was passionate not only as artist and performer , entertainer, but also as a human being, some one who pushed the envelop regardless of all the people around him who doubt what he was capable of at that time. Some one who took a shot, became famous, some one who battled whatever life threw at him.

Some day they might find a cure, but for now he shows the world the second most humane way for survival, to go on living. He shows the world his strong will power, to not give up, to not let go. It's the only way to live your life happily, for any one. This is a man who refuses to let go of dreams, hope. Refuses to stop living his life. He's getting older and older and still lives a full life.

It's ok, Vainamoinen, do it if you feel it's right.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Oh, duh, it can drop now without being locked, of course. ;)
  • edited June 2011
    It's beautiful. I really wanted this to happen, that's no surprise. How beautiful is that it is happening? This guy, M J Fox, he has the strongest will to live his life, and the greatest passion to see it through to his fullest. It's remarkable, and it's a beautiful thing. And I find it very inspiring that he is going through with this.

There's a great story to be told, where people will one day look back and see a man who loved what he did, was passionate not only as artist and performer , entertainer, but also as a human being, some one who pushed the envelop regardless of all the people around him who doubt what he was capable of at that time. Some one who took a shot, became famous, some one who battled whatever life threw at him.

Some day they might find a cure, but for now he shows the world the second most humane way for survival, to go on living. He shows the world his strong will power, to not give up, to not let go. It's the only way to live your life happily, for any one. This is a man who refuses to let go of dreams, hope. Refuses to stop living his life. He's getting older and older and still lives a full life.

It's ok, Vainamoinen, do it if you feel it's right.

You just motivated me to one day find a cure for Parkinsons (Before or after I find a cure for cancer!)
  • edited June 2011
    On the blog it says one of the two people MJF plays is a character that Marty has met in one of the original movies. That is an easy one, it has to be William McFly, the baby he holds in BTTF part 3.
  • edited June 2011
    I totally loved every one of the BTTF episodes and I think episode 5 is going to be the best since they were able to get MJF to be in the final episode. I hope TTG will do a season 2 of BTTF, Season 1 has been awsome. It makes you feel like you are in the movie. People have complained about how easy the puzzles are and how they don't like the game, and I think they are nuts. There is more to the game than just the puzzles, there is the adventure of being in the movie and the story of the friendship between Marty and Doc. I think TTG has done an amazing job. Every game they have made has been awsome and I look forward to all future games they make. I have never been disappointed in any of the games. They all have been better than I could ever dream of how a game could be. Keep up the good work TTG, I think you guys are AWSOME!!!!
  • edited June 2011
    Calling it: 'And now I return home to my son... I bought him this nice Wallet...'
  • edited June 2011
    jwalker30 wrote: »
    On the blog it says one of the two people MJF plays is a character that Marty has met in one of the original movies. That is an easy one, it has to be William McFly, the baby he holds in BTTF part 3.

Smart alec. ;)
  • edited June 2011
    WesMote44 wrote: »
    People have complained about how easy the puzzles are and how they don't like the game, and I think they are nuts. There is more to the game than just the puzzles, there is the adventure of being in the movie and the story of the friendship between Marty and Doc.
    Hey! It's great how you think I'm nuts. But to be entirely honest(and to hopefully keep this post out of the "Too easy/lacks puzzles thread), it's not JUST about puzzle difficulty OR even puzzle EXISTENCE. It's very much about INTERACTIVITY, and a lack thereof making the entire experience very shallow.

To further explain, if you was "in" the movies, you wouldn't have:

-Invisible walls, especially invisible walls over an open fence that you were previously able to walk thorugh
    -Towns that suddenly become ENTIRELY EMPTY when you show up after the last scene played showing bustling streets
    -An inability to do things OTHER than the solution to the given problem at hand. If you were truly "in" the world of the movies, for example, putting a newspaper into a paper recycling bin wouldn't be something that yields a generic response from Marty. The connection there is obvious.
    -An inability interact with more objects on-screen. When you're "in" a place, you can pick up objects that are within your means to lift, you can manipulate objects that can obviously be manipulated(switches and buttons being the obvious example). When you can literally only click a single thing on the screen, what was the point of even being there in the first place?

Essentially, if you were "in" the world, you should be able to DO and INTERACT WITH a great deal more than BttF:TG allows. It's not just puzzle difficulty(though this is a major aspect of it), but a lack of interactivity that makes the entire world feel like "the theme park version", or a bunch of cardboard cutout plot pieces meticulously set up, with the path trying to keep you from looking to the side and seeing that, hey, there's nothing else here but surface imagery!

This comes up a lot in episode 3, in which many times an event is "triggered" by another, entirely unrelated event. You, as a character, didn't make a thing happen. For example, when you push a button connected to an intercom, the button doesn't JUST connect you to the other side of the intercom(intended and logical effect), but it also causes First Citizen Brown to show up in his car. There is a HUGE number of these, where one player action triggers a completely unrelated story moment(some character shows up, some character starts doing something entirely different than before, a character actually stops caring about an action they reprimand you for in any other circumstance), causing player involvement in the story to feel like it doesn't matter, the story will happen, ONLY in the intended way, around you regardless. It's less like being a true participant in the story than it is like being a camouflaged stagehand, moving things about so the real actors and screenwriters can have their parts move on as intended.

Another issue is in dialog. People like to feel like they're "talking" to characters from the films, but aside from one nice moment where you get to pick the name people call you throughout the rest of the experience, none of your dialog actually affects the next thing the NPCs say. When you go through, play again, and choose different dialog(when alternates are cut off after the first choice), you realize that what Marty SAYS doesn't affect the response from the world, so it feels more like you were boxed in and talking to a recording of the character, rather than really INTERACTING with them, if that makes any sense.

I really implore you, and all fans of this game, to go through these episodes with a critical eye toward interactivity. What does this game let you really DO in Hill Valley? When you talk to characters, does what you say matter? Does it let you do even the obvious things that make sense? In places where the standard "I can't do that" dialog simply doesn't make sense for a particular object, do they use it anyway?

Personally, I think most or all of this game's fans are fooled by the surface imagery. They stumbled through the correct path, the game put on a pretty face, and they were happy because they got the intended experience, the only experience, because the game makes its answers so obvious that you're not going to try to do anything BUT the intended thing. And Telltale is seriously banking on that, as everything outside the option you are intended to take is flat, broken, or just entirely unaccounted for. That, or they just don't give a fuck if this game has any quality to it at all, because frankly the fact that it's a game at all is merely a fringe fact to them when compared to "New canon Back to the Future story material".
  • edited June 2011
    I couldn't agree more, Rather Dashing. Sad but true... The story is good but... it's NOT a GAME.
  • edited June 2011
    SchottGun wrote: »
    From BTTF.com

"BTTF.com has learned that Michael actually provides the voice for TWO characters in Episode 5. While we're sworn to secrecy on the names of the characters he's providing voice to, we can say that one of these two characters is someone Marty has previously met during his adventures spanning the three films!"

http://www.bttf.com/michael-j-fox-voices-mcfly-for-back-to-the-future-the-game-conclusion.php

Let me guess....a grown-up William McFly?
  • edited June 2011
    Originally Posted by SchottGun View Post
    From BTTF.com

"BTTF.com has learned that Michael actually provides the voice for TWO characters in Episode 5. While we're sworn to secrecy on the names of the characters he's providing voice to, we can say that one of these two characters is someone Marty has previously met during his adventures spanning the three films!"

http://www.bttf.com/michael-j-fox-vo...conclusion.php

Thats Awesome :)
  • edited June 2011
    I totally loved every one of the BTTF episodes and I think episode 5 is going to be the best since they were able to get MJF to be in the final episode. I hope TTG will do a season 2 of BTTF, Season 1 has been awsome. It makes you feel like you are in the movie. People have complained about how easy the puzzles are and how they don't like the game, and I think they are nuts. There is more to the game than just the puzzles, there is the adventure of being in the movie and the story of the friendship between Marty and Doc. I think TTG has done an amazing job. Every game they have made has been awsome and I look forward to all future games they make. I have never been disappointed in any of the games. They all have been better than I could ever dream of how a game could be. Keep up the good work TTG, I think you guys are AWSOME!!!!

I agree with you! Like I mentioned in a different thread, it was not meant to be a puzzle and hard to figure out, it is a game meant for the fans! It is to return the feeling and excitement of the movies! Sure to some the puzzles are easy as pie, but it was not meant for the puzzles. The puzzles are just icing on this extremely tasty cake!
  • edited June 2011
    The other character. . .2011 Marty McFly of course.
  • edited June 2011
    That, or they just don't give a fuck if this game has any quality to it at all, because frankly the fact that it's a game at all is merely a fringe fact to them when compared to "New canon Back to the Future story material".
    I'll be perfectly honest and admit this is my logic for why I feel about the games the way I do.

I mean, you're not wrong about the flaws in the games. But as you say, I--and many others--just don't care.
  • edited June 2011
    This is awesome. This is just that feeling I had with the Ghostbusters video game. Orig cast and script writters, all using a game to make a new sequel to their big movies. Its a new approach that works very well for these old movies that really are great to see a comeback.

Now if Tom Wilson shows up... hehe..

Either way, Im HOPING the Char MJ Fox plays.. is a Marty that knows all about the Time Machine.. and is working to help set things back correctly. Kinda like the movie "The Kid" where the older guy was really Bruce Willis all along helping his younger self. Hehe.
  • edited June 2011
    JHero wrote: »
    Let me guess....a grown-up William McFly?

That would be my guess really....no one else he could really play that we've seen before and like someone else said maybe the 2011 marty? who knows
  • edited June 2011
    I think it's awesome of Michael J. Fox to do this. He's a great guy.
    I hope he enjoyed doing it as much as we enjoy having him back. :)
  • edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure that the game starts with hints turned on. I'd doubt you'd need them, but just in case turn them off next time you play.
  • edited June 2011
    The baby Marty held in the 1880's did not talk (He was a baby) so maybe Micheal can play him and/or an older Marty!

*Plays the music that happens when someone in the future notices something in the past that proves Marty is from the past/future.* That house in the behind the scenes video is the house that is/was in the first movie when Marty ran into the barn in the time machine and the kid thought he was an alien!

Who do you think that older looking man Micheal plays is?
  • edited June 2011
    Whoa, slow down there, sport.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Hey VeryTori, if you think of more you want to add soon after submitting a post, please use the Edit button (bottom right corner of each one of your posts). 'Tis good forum etiquette to avoid multiple posting. Thanks!
  • edited June 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Hey VeryTori, if you think of more you want to add soon after submitting a post, please use the Edit button (bottom right corner of each one of your posts). 'Tis good forum etiquette to avoid multiple posting. Thanks!

Okay.
  • edited June 2011
    Maybe his daughter. That might be cool.
  • edited June 2011
    I think William's father, William, or older Marty are our main guesses on this thread.
  • edited June 2011
    VeryTori wrote: »
    I think William's father, William, or older Marty are our main guesses on this thread.

William's father was sheamus
  • edited June 2011
    :D ja ja ja.

But, for a moment I was fooled too
  • edited June 2011
    Im very Happy to hear that Michael J Fox is going to be Part of the Finale for the BTTF Game and that he is doing two Characters for the game we have seen one its going to be interesting to see what the other character is going to be who exactly only one way to find out. im Setting my Time Circuits for June 23rd cant wait for the Finale:D

For the Record Guys i didnt change my Post Title someone in TellTale did but im honered that TellTale decided to use my post to discuss MJF being part of the Finale Thanks to TellTale and to everyone in the Forums for keeping this post going you guys rock :D
  • edited June 2011
    I can not wait to play it!
  • edited June 2011
    I have played the Ghost Busters game on the psp and I thought it was pretty good. I have games I have played hundreds of times and I know what to do in them but I don't care, I just love the characters and the story as it unfolds, kind of like re-watching an old movie you've seen many times but still love to watch or re-reading your favorite book. Even though I know whats going to happen I still love playing the games, watching the old movies and reading my favorite books over and over again. BTTF isn't a puzzle solving game, it's an adventure, the puzzles are just something to do along the way as the story unfolds. TTG did an awsome job and I'd like to see anyone try to do a better job at it. (I won't hold my breath!!!) TTG have made top quality games and I will continue to support them and buy every game they make because I know each one will be Awsome!!!
  • edited June 2011
    I have played the Ghost Busters game on the psp and I thought it was pretty good. I have games I have played hundreds of times and I know what to do in them but I don't care, I just love the characters and the story as it unfolds, kind of like re-watching an old movie you've seen many times but still love to watch or re-reading your favorite book. Even though I know whats going to happen I still love playing the games, watching the old movies and reading my favorite books over and over again. BTTF isn't a puzzle solving game, it's an adventure, the puzzles are just something to do along the way as the story unfolds. TTG did an awsome job and I'd like to see anyone try to do a better job at it. (I won't hold my breath!!!) TTG have made top quality games and I will continue to support them and buy every game they make because I know each one will be Awsome!!!

I agree with what you are saying about BTTF, except it gets more tiring playing a game over and over unlike movies and books. But it is not meant to be a puzzle game! I guess its more tiring because you actually have to do stuff lol.
  • edited June 2011
    Perhaps it is is Marty's great grand dad?
  • edited June 2011
    :D perhaps...Why didn't we think of that?
  • edited June 2011
    My guess is it's William McFly. :)
  • edited June 2011
    :D perhaps...Why didn't we think of that?
    lol lovely sarcasm.
    Wasn't MJ Fox voicing 2 characters? It would be cool if we see Shaemus again. Although he would be 80-90.
  • edited June 2011
    I have one thing to say about all this:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *jumps up and down*

Erm... *coughs, looks aside, composes self*

This is really awesome. It brings a tear to me eye. :)

No matter what could be said for the game's shortcomings as a game (it's really not bad... though I do concur with the consensus that it's a might too easy, especially with so many hints and walkthroughs... if you're going to give us answers for the puzzles, they should probably be harder puzzles? Still, it's definitely the best Back to the Future game around, and the idea of BTTF as an adventure game at all is a very sound one), I have very much enjoyed what I've seen of it's story, and it's attention to details from the films... even George McFly's 1985 peanut brittle makes an appearance...! So I have full faith in it's conclusion of such. I am very, very excited for this.

Thank you, Telltale, and Christopher Lloyd and A.J. Locasio and everyone else who has worked so hard to make this such a cool Back to the Future story. I have truly enjoyed this so far, so thank you.

That said:
    We're keeping exactly who Michael J. Fox plays a surprise for folks to discover as they play Episode 5, but I will divulge a tiny hint about one of the two characters he plays: Marty has met this character shown in the new behind the scenes video (above) in the original film series.
    One of the two characters?

I'm wagering 2011 Marty and 1911ish William McFly (the baby who peed on him in Part III in 1985). If so, awesome!
  • edited June 2011
    Why don't you post more often here?
  • edited June 2011
    on facebook tell tale said MJF is gonna be playing 2 roles!

william mcfly and marty senior in the future. (thats my guess)
  • edited June 2011
    Telltale Games
    As the post title states, Michael J. Fox is making a special appearance in Back to the Future: Episode 5 in two roles! We've also announced that Episode 5 will be available on PC and Mac on June 23! Set your time circuits accordingly!
    Telltale Games - Michael J. Fox Makes a Special Appearance in Back to the Future: The Game: Episode
    www.telltalegames.com
    You read that headline right! The legendary Michael J. Fox is lending his voice to the finale episode of Back to the Future: The Game - OUTATIME! And now you're probably wondering when you'll be able to see Fox's special appearance in the finale; Back to the Future: The Game: Episode 5 - OUTATIME re
  • edited June 2011

Catching up on the thread just now, I have to say you put that very well and I agree fully. I have great respect for Michael J. Fox and his accomplishments. :)
    Why don't you post more often here?
    If you mean me, the reason is because I am a depressed 22 year old with a job and lots of other stuff going on in my life. My socializing is rare, and I spent most of my time with friends I met elsewhere, or with my roommate. To stretch myself much further right now, I think my brain would break. Still, Back to the Future The Game, or as it deserves to be thought of, Part IV... even existing at all, much less being even as good as it is- and as Back to the Future stuff goes, we really did hit the jackpot with all the key people that we have involved here, like Bob Gale-, is a bright and sunny spot in my life, well worth popping in to show my appreciation and enthusiasm for, at least a little bit.

As a lonely nerdy teenager, being wildly obsessed with the trilogy, I never expected or even thought a "Part IV" would be a good idea. Yet about a decade later, as the real 2015- with it's arguably halfway right predictions, and it's lack of hoverboards- here it is, and I'm thrilled by it. It is an awesome thing, in that way. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.