Michael J. Fox in Episode 5 - discussion

Comments

• edited June 2011
    How can you guys compare LNJ's failure to Telltale's failure ?

First of all, LJN games are way too old to compare them to anything recent, also, it was done by korean people who probably had no idea what they were working on. We couldn't expect anything good from that. The only thing they could really work on, was the gameplay mechanics. Which were broken too but hey.

Telltale's team was a bunch of fans, lovers of both adventure games AND back to the future.

Their failure is just unacceptable.

Also, it's not just "a bad aventure game", it's not even a game, there's no gameplay.
  • edited June 2011
    *face palm*
  • edited June 2011
    Why does everyone care so much what Dashing thinks? I'll sum it up for you in just one video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U
  • edited June 2011
    My bet is it is William McFly. That scene fascinates me because there are clearly two deloreans at opposite sides of marty and doc, with one behind the fence sign that reads 'blacksmith' (5:36-7) and the one behind the two of them. I'm itching to know what's happening in this video clip:)
  • edited June 2011
    Totally awesome!
  • edited June 2011
    Let me say this once and once only. I do NOT want to hear anymore of "BTTF sucks waaaaaaah"

Back to the Future: The Game is a success. Brilliant storyline, the only let down is that the puzzles are lacking in difficulty. However, a lot of the puzzles are creative, and time consuming, similar to classic adventure games. I don't know how anyone can call this game a complete failure. It's hyperbole. Simple exaggeration. If the game had "no gameplay" as a lot of people are whining about, then this would be a movie.

I rest my case. No more complaining.
  • edited June 2011
    Just my speculation but I wonder if MJ is gonna voice Seamus as well?
  • edited June 2011
    Back to the Future: The Game is a success. Brilliant storyline, the only let down is that the puzzles are lacking in difficulty. However, a lot of the puzzles are creative, and time consuming, similar to classic adventure games.
    It's impossible to support this point logically. "Brilliant storyline", for instance, is a difficult position to defend when the major dramatic linchpin of Episode 1 is hand-waved in Episode 2, when they decided on the reason for bringing back the DeLorean at the last minute, and when the vast majority of Episode 3's storyline is ripped, verbatim, from other sources in a way that is far more direct than in any other Back to the Future media. Liking the story is fine, but it's definitely a structural mess. I also don't know how you can say most of the puzzles are in any way "clever", when the majority of them don't utilize the inventory in any way and focus, mainly, on interacting with the largest object in the room, or the thing the camera focused on last. I'd love to hear how any of these puzzles could be called "clever", but it seems to me that Telltale just stopped the cutscene whenever they could think of something the player could touch before getting the story portions going again.

It seems to me that you don't actually address any of the major issues facing this title, and it also seems that your post hinges on character assassination, which doesn't work as a valid supporting basis for your argument. More than that, you rely on a method whereby you say you get the last word, so there, and anything said against you is afterwards wrong, rude, or childish. This is meant to paint others in a negative light, to keep yourself from any kind of accountability for your own points, even if they're faulty and/or unsupported.
  • edited June 2011
    Marty's great grand father. (Arty's dad).

William
  • edited June 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    Why does everyone care so much what Dashing thinks? I'll sum it up for you in just one video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U

haha doodo, that made my morning... i apologize now tho, i'll be stealing that link for future use ;)
  • edited June 2011
    It's impossible to support this point logically. "Brilliant storyline", for instance, is a difficult position to defend when the major dramatic linchpin of Episode 1 is hand-waved in Episode 2, when they decided on the reason for bringing back the DeLorean at the last minute, and when the vast majority of Episode 3's storyline is ripped, verbatim, from other sources in a way that is far more direct than in any other Back to the Future media. Liking the story is fine, but it's definitely a structural mess. I also don't know how you can say most of the puzzles are in any way "clever", when the majority of them don't utilize the inventory in any way and focus, mainly, on interacting with the largest object in the room, or the thing the camera focused on last. I'd love to hear how any of these puzzles could be called "clever", but it seems to me that Telltale just stopped the cutscene whenever they could think of something the player could touch before getting the story portions going again.

It seems to me that you don't actually address any of the major issues facing this title, and it also seems that your post hinges on character assassination, which doesn't work as a valid supporting basis for your argument. More than that, you rely on a method whereby you say you get the last word, so there, and anything said against you is afterwards wrong, rude, or childish. This is meant to paint others in a negative light, to keep yourself from any kind of accountability for your own points, even if they're faulty and/or unsupported.

I like the game. If you don't, I don't care, because in my opinion you're missing out. I said the puzzles were creative and not clever. Like the hover tire, which made me smile when I saw it.

Let's not fight. :o
  • edited June 2011
    I like the game. If you don't, I don't care, because in my opinion you're missing out. I said the puzzles were creative and not clever. Like the hover tire, which made me smile when I saw it.

Let's not fight. :o
    Considering I never went into a thread and said I'd had enough of people praising the game and treating it like it's something to look forward to, considering I never acted like a disappointed father when addressing people with an opposing viewpoint, and considering I never created a childish caricature of people I disagree with so they would look worse in comparison to myself, I am entirely lost as to how you'd come to the conclusion that I was just trying to stir up shit.
  • edited June 2011
    Mr. Dashing, I wonder, is there someone literally holding a gun to your head and forcing you to play this game? Because if that is the case, I think you might find more sympathy for your position. It is not the most challenging game ever, I will grant you that. But a game does not have to be challenging in order to be entertaining. And in fact, the more challenging you make a game, the more likely that a large number of gamers will simply become frustrated and walk away from it. Especially casual gamers, which is the type of gamer that Telltale is obviously trying to appeal to with this game. After all, Back to the Future is a movie license, and I would guess that a large number of fans of the films are not hardcore gamers. In such an instance, Telltale had two ends of a spectrum to choose from. 1: They could make a game that was extremely difficult, where it could take upwards of 3 hours just to solve a single puzzle, and include puzzles where the player could either die or become irreversibly stuck unless they picked up an item or went pixel hunting early in the game. The upside of this is that it might be more appealing to hardcore gamers and people who are good at lateral thinking. The downside is that this approach would probably alienate a large percentage of potential customers, because they'd get frustrated at barely making any progress in the game after several hours of playing. 2: They could make a game which isn't so much a game as a barely interactive movie, where all you have to do is click randomly on the screen and you solve a puzzle. In other words, like an episode of Dora the Explorer, except you do occasionally have to actually click on things. This option, which you seem to hyperbolically assert is what Telltale has done, would have the benefit of appealing to the widest potential audience, because anyone with even basic motor skills could play through the game easily. It would make Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure look like Grim Fandango by comparison. The downside is that it would alienate the hardcore gamers, and probably those who would just consider themselves as being more than casual gamers, which I would suspect is the minority of the potential sales market anyway. I would argue that what Telltale has actually done is in the middle of these two ends of the spectrum. Definitely on the easier side, but not as easy as you would have us believe. I'd say it's quite a bit more complex than the already mentioned Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure, but perhaps slightly less than, say, the standard mode of Curse of Monkey Island. Anyway, that's what I think.

Also, I'm not trying to diss on Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure. If you haven't played it, you should. It is quite possibly the cutest thing ever.

And Rather, no cracks about "the difference between Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure and BTTF: The Game is that one was designed by a 5 year old girl, and the other just seems that way."
  • edited June 2011
    dalty, someone may not have put a gun to his head, but he saw it was coming, got excited, SPENT MONEY ON IT, and was let down. He purchased something, thinking it would live up to his standards. It didn't, so he's upset. Is his complaining excessive? Perhaps, but he does have a valid reason.

See Dashing? I may not agree with your opinions, but I will defend your right to HAVE an opinion. :)
  • edited June 2011
    Dashing. Please. I don't mind you disliking the game. Sure, everyone has the right to opinions. But I can't understand why you are here on this section of the forum if you dislike it.

And now you're going to write about why I am wrong.
  • edited June 2011
    Dashing. Please. I don't mind you disliking the game. Sure, everyone has the right to opinions. But I can't understand why you are here on this section of the forum if you dislike it.

And now you're going to write about why I am wrong.
    Because I care about the subject. Isn't that enough?
  • edited June 2011
    Because I care about the subject. Isn't that enough?

Okay. I'll give you that.

I don't want to argue anymore.
  • edited June 2011
    I've played both.

Telltale's game is still bad, and in many ways worse.

You're just flaming...
  • edited June 2011
    Ashki wrote: »
    The graphics are fine for this game, and to everyone who doesn't like this game, you could play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y306cWw98a4 - this instead and and then tell me what you think about TellTale's game.

Anyways though, MJF being in this game is going to be awesome.

The language in the video was bad but the toaster part was funny.
  • edited June 2011
    Okay. I'll give you that.

I don't want to argue anymore.
    I didn't want to argue in the first place! :)
    You're just flaming...
    No, I was just making a valid comparison based on a comment made about my expressed opinions. I felt the comparison was apt, based on a logical deconstruction of the faults of both titles, and entirely worth mentioning. We can say Big Rigs and E.T. were bad games, but if we're just saying that because everyone says they're bad without looking at why they're bad, we've learned nothing. When they stop being software products with flaws and start becoming legendary boogeymen that we toss out to made poorly thought-out points, we have lost a useful reasoning tool.
  • edited June 2011
    You're just flaming...

I've learned that it's his opinion. Respect that. :)
  • edited June 2011
    Eh... Guess I'm late to the party. Definitely awesome news though!
  • edited June 2011
    I'm goin with the William McFly theory, judging by the truck he's driving it's clear they're in the 1930s.

I really wish i hadn't seen that clip though as i would've wanted MJF's cameo to be a surprise.
  • edited June 2011
    I think it'sWilliam too
  • edited June 2011
    Hey, he just took his wallet!

I think that guy just took his wallet!!!!

:D
  • edited June 2011
    I don't think that was Fox...
    If it was, then there are three characters voiced by him.
    Or more, if you count the different time stream copies
  • edited June 2011
    You're right, just checked the credits, was a bit over zealous, would have been a nice touch though.
  • edited June 2011
    What characters does MJF play? I have not finished but I would like to know!!
  • edited June 2011
    A middle aged William Mcfly, and a bunch of alternate, goofy looking, and very lame Martys from the future.
  • edited June 2011
    Thank you! I figured William. He was one of the people I figured. And they actually do go to the future!! WOOHOO! I only played to the begginning of the 187 something year. It must be Maddog Tannen's father that we see.
  • VeryTori wrote: »
    Thank you! I figured William. He was one of the people I figured. And they actually do go to the future!! WOOHOO! I only played to the begginning of the 187 something year. It must be Maddog Tannen's father that we see.

It's just said to be a tannen so it could be a sibling or direct ancestor to mad dog.

William seems like a cool character. You're actually almost done the game if you're in 1876
  • edited June 2011
    Meh. Didn't add anything for me. The acting was pretty flimsy and you could see right through it. You could tell MJF didn't really care, and was just waiting for the check to clear.
  • edited June 2011
    I disagree, i think he was trying to sound different as William, and his Marty voice was great at the end..infact, the biker Marty..i match that voice up to anything he did in the movies, he sounded EXACTLY like he did. Infact, the second marty did too. the first one was a bit gravely, but then again, that marty might've been slightly older, as he was talking about their great grand kids.
  • edited June 2011
    So MJF was great because he sounded like himself?
  • edited June 2011
    ShadowX81 wrote: »
    You could tell MJF didn't really care, and was just waiting for the check to clear.

Not True, if you had read any of MJF's books, you will know he holds the BTTF franchise very close to his heart. The voice acting would have had it's limitation due to his condition, but a guy who has trouble getting out of the bed most days does not contribute to such a project just for a quick buck.
  • edited June 2011
    ElWaster wrote: »
    Not True, if you had read any of MJF's books, you will know he holds the BTTF franchise very close to his heart. The voice acting would have had it's limitation due to his condition, but a guy who has trouble getting out of the bed most days does not contribute to such a project just for a quick buck.

Agreed.
  • edited June 2011
    ShadowX81 wrote: »
    So MJF was great because he sounded like himself?

Yes because thats how he sounded in the movie and so how all his fans would have wanted him to sound.
  • edited June 2011
    I've learned that it's his opinion. Respect that. :)

You shouldn't think people who don;t share an opinion are idiots. It is flaming pure and simple.
  • edited June 2011
    I thought MJF was great as the older marty characters.
  • edited June 2011
    i agree
Sign in to comment in this discussion.