Batman General Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Am I the only one who thinks the ending song of Mask of the Phantasm suited the movie perfectly?

The ending song from Mask of the Phantasm:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJJxbQVnVe8
  • edited July 2013
    Noname215 wrote: »
    46268.jpg?v=1

I'd watch that sh*t. Be better than Beware the Batman, that's for sure.
  • edited July 2013
    Currently writing Batman: Brave. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9440209/1/Batman-Brave
  • Brave and Bold. I see what you did there.
  • edited July 2013
    Watching a gameplay demo for Arkham Origins and already see one problem I have with it. They brought in the grapnel boost...
  • edited July 2013
    Oh that's it, everyone, don't buy it!

Seriously, though. They already addressed this. For the sake of gameplay, there will be toys from Arkham City plus new ones. They acknowledge how he should have less and simpler utilities than Arkham Asylum, but after Arkham City, it would make for a more disappointing game. One of those things that probably should have been left unsaid because of the die hard fanbase, but they're right. Let's face it, the 50+% of the people that will by the game solely on the back of 'City rather than following canon, would consider it a failure as well as most reviewers if they downgraded Batman.

We are just going to have to deal with it.
  • edited July 2013
    Meh, I get that, but still bugs me a bit, especially since the grapnel boost was not only acknowledged ingame as a prototype, it was also OPTIONAL.
  • edited July 2013
    Oh I agree. I would've thoroughly enjoyed a prequel where Batman has almost nothing and is more ninja samurai than anything, but people are uncomfortable with change.
  • edited July 2013
    I can forgive the more armored look though. He wouldn't have the advanced tech to make more protective stuff like he has in Arkham Asylum/City, so armor it must be.
  • edited July 2013
    1001345_10151530896281608_1531628466_n.jpg

So, obviously, we need to get a DeLorean and go back to 1939 so that I can be Batman on a grad student salary.
  • edited July 2013
    You're forgetting to adjust for inflation. $10 for the suit? Nope.
  • edited July 2013
    why does original Batman not have a lock pick and why does modern Batman's lock pick cost $500?
  • edited July 2013
    They hadn't invented sonic screwdrivers yet in 1939.
  • edited July 2013
    I think modern Batman has an electronic lockpick and 1939 Batman made use of bobby pins.

Also, Marsden, the $10 suit is replaced with the Kevlar body armor, for the purposes of this comparison.
  • edited July 2013
    I seriously don't think there's such a thing as a $500 lockpick.
  • edited July 2013
    Top commercial models are 200-300. If it's custom made, yeah it could be.
  • edited July 2013
    Johro wrote: »
    Top commercial models are 200-300. If it's custom made, yeah it could be.

It's Batman. It's in the shape of a freaking bat. Yes, it's custom made. :p
  • edited July 2013
    Batman will be in the sequel to Man of Steel.

And the plot'll be 'inspired' by The Dark Knight Returns.

ku-xlarge.jpg
  • edited July 2013
    Oh, hey, Zack Snyder is maki-

euCjl7W.gif

THUNK

gqsHoPY.jpg

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  • edited July 2013
    Welcome to Shark Jumping 101 with Warner Bros.!

How to really jump the shark on your Cinematic Universe! Your rebooted Superman character has just been introduced into his world. He is literally the first superhero and in his first go-round has dealt with an army of Kryptonians bent on destroying our world and rebuilding Krypton on top of it! Sections of both Smallville and Metropolis are left in ruins! And this hero, in spite of having no official legal status, has acted unilaterally as judge, jury, and executioner by breaking the neck of General Zod! How do you follow up on this?
    A. A deep, thoughtful story with Superman reflecting on what he did with bouts against unknown robotic invaders later discovered to be Brainiac probes.
    B. Superman must come to terms with the fact that he could potentially abuse his own powers while fighting against a mutant named Parasite that can drain him of his powers AND memories.
    C. Superman becomes the target of a smear campaign by Metropolis's biggest businessman, Lex Luthor, who points out that Superman has killed before and since no weapon on Earth can harm him, there is nothing to prevent him from doing it again. Superman must come to terms with the responsibilities placed on him while fending off unknown assailants who utilize stolen Kryptonian weaponry before facing off with Lex Luthor himself in a powered armor suit.
    D. None of the above.

If you answered A, B, or C, then you're completely missing the point of Shark Jumping 101! It's quite obviously D! What you do is you throw Batman into the mix and make Superman and Batman fight! It's brilliant because very few of the fanbase will take the time to look at it logically and realize that it's at least one movie too soon to bring the Dark Knight into the picture. They won't realize that the new Man of Steel needs time to fit into his world comfortably before starting to bring in other DC heroes. They won't realize that the addition of Batman will take attention away from Superman! They'll just get sucked into the hype! Brilliant! Genius! That's what they'll call you as you...JUMP THE SHARK! Congratulations!
  • Hey, there’s always Man of Steel 3.

Also, I wonder how they’ll handle the Batman reboot, seeing as how they’re having him appear before that movie will even be released. As for the three sequel ideas you have, which are great, there’s always a way to incorporate one of those into the second movie, which probably won’t be called Man of Steel 2, but World’s Finest.

I mean, you have seen the animated Batman/Superman Movie, right?
  • edited July 2013
    It's cos no one will pay to see another Batman origin story movie and they need to introduce him for the JL movie. It's the same principal as a popular TV show having a back door pilot when they suddenly follow new character's no one has ever seen before.
    Batman will be in the sequel to Man of Steel.

And the plot'll be 'inspired' by The Dark Knight Returns.

So enormous plot holes and a villian no one can understand?
  • edited July 2013
    coolsome wrote: »
    It's cos no one will pay to see another Batman origin story movie and they need to introduce him for the JL movie. It's the same principal as a popular TV show having a back door pilot when they suddenly follow new character's no one has ever seen before.

So enormous plot holes and a villian no one can understand?

No, they don't need to introduce Batman for the JL movie. The JL movie isn't coming out til 2017 or so the rumors say. Plenty of time for a standalone Man of Steel sequel and THEN The World's Finest.

Also The Dark Knight Returns =/= The Dark Knight Rises.
  • Maybe World’s Finest will be a stand alone movie, like how Tony Stark is in the Iron Man movies and The Avengers movies.

I still think the villain in Justice League should be Darkseid.
  • edited July 2013
    No, they don't need to introduce Batman for the JL movie. The JL movie isn't coming out til 2017 or so the rumors say. Plenty of time for a standalone Man of Steel sequel and THEN The World's Finest.

No cos Dark Knight movies are still fresh in our heads and most people wont pay to see another origin movie.
  • You’d be surprised. Look how many people payed to see another Superman origin movie.
  • edited July 2013
    Actually, I think the general feeling amongst both fans is concern.

Only one of my friends is excited by the announcement. Everyone else feels as though it is either too early or it shouldn't be done at all. The folks who have read the comics and novels should be even more concerned as(and I really don't think I'm out of place on this one) EVERY major crossover between Superman and Batman in the canon felt forced and out of place(especially TDKR which they cited as inspiration).

I really don't think this is a good idea for either franchise. Not in the live action universe. I was not a huge fan of The Avengers and I felt that movie barely held it together combining heroes. All the depth and substance laid for each hero as a person was tossed out the window. Now bring in Superman and Batman. The two biggest names...ever. Face it, nobody else even comes close in popularity. Marvel may own the title for complete roster, but DC definitely has 1 & 2.

This is an immense disaster waiting to happen. I'm not kidding here. If this movie doesn't blow Avengers completely out of the water, which isn't likely as a lot of people hailed that film as a masterpiece, the film will just defecate all over both franchises. A bad animated film is much easier to ignore than live action.
  • I just watched episode 1 of Beware the Batman.

In this episode, the motive behind the crime is environmentalism. What a load of shit! Still, the action sequences were very Batman-y and was able to have a sense of violence that TB&TB didn’t have.

Rating: 5/10
    Johro wrote: »
    A bad animated film is much easier to ignore than live action.

I hated Zack Snyder’s stuff up until Man of Steel. I have faith. As long as this new Batman is nothing like Val Kilmer, Adam West, George Clooney or Michael Keaton, then I’m okay with it.
  • edited July 2013
    Maybe World’s Finest will be a stand alone movie, like how Tony Stark is in the Iron Man movies and The Avengers movies.

I still think the villain in Justice League should be Darkseid.

They straight up said this is the Man of Steel sequel, just with Batman. And no, I haven't seen the animated movie. I still think this is jumping the shark. Which is strange to me because I'd usually be so hyped for this no one could stand to be around me. It just really feels too soon to me.
  • Jumping the shark? Don’t you mean Nuking the Fridge?

Another thing, I really don’t think that the Batman reboot should try to be a bullshit rip-off of the Nolanverse. Here’s a list.

Damien Lewis as The Riddler
    Javier Bardem as Ra’s Al Ghul
    Ron Perlman as Clayface
    Andy Serkis as Mad Hatter
    Ben Foster or Crispin Glover as The Joker
    Eva Green as Poison Ivy
  • edited July 2013
    I hated Zack Snyder’s stuff up until Man of Steel. I have faith. As long as this new Batman is nothing like Val Kilmer, Adam West, George Clooney or Michael Keaton, then I’m okay with it.

Michael Keaton?! WTF?! He is the BEST live action Batman! What we don't want is another fucking Christian Bale. That's what worries me the most. Sure, Snyder is the director, but Nolan is still involved and frankly, Nolan doesn't understand what makes Batman REALLY work. He's not a glorified street thug with borrowed technology and smarter minds around him. Batman is a genius-level martial artist who builds his own toys and who is first and foremost a DETECTIVE. Snyder shows me that he understands the Batman, then I'll be on board. Show me the actor, show me the suit, and show me how he fights.
  • edited July 2013
    Keaton's Batman was crap at fighting! All the action scenes in those 2 movies sucked balls.
  • Exactly. Also, Keaton’s Batman was a murderer. The only action scene I found entertaining was the Chinese guy with swords.
  • This is the worst case scenario.

Bradley Cooper is Batman in... The Caped Crusader
    Featuring Danny Glover as Lucius Fox
    Timothy Dalton as Alfred
    Andrew Garfield as The Joker
    and Justin Bieber as Robin

That would be the ultimate shit-fest.
  • edited July 2013
    coolsome wrote: »
    Keaton's Batman was crap at fighting! All the action scenes in those 2 movies sucked balls.

I've never thought of you as an idiot before now. He used martial arts. He fought fluidly. He didn't act like an idiot dressed in a costume. Bale SUCKED.
    Exactly. Also, Keaton’s Batman was a murderer. The only action scene I found entertaining was the Chinese guy with swords.

He was a murderer in the second movie. Also, original Batman had a guy strung up from the Bat-plane and let him die. So yeah. So fucking what?
  • At least Bale could fucking fight good (with the exception of DKR). And West’s Batman was just stupid POW! BIFF! CRUNCH! sequences that were never any real looking. Keaton is not Batman, and neither are any of those other guys.

Kevin Conroy is Batman.
  • edited July 2013
    At least Bale could fucking fight good (with the exception of DKR). And West’s Batman was just stupid POW! BIFF! CRUNCH! sequences that were never any real looking. Keaton is not Batman, and neither are any of those other guys.

Kevin Conroy is Batman.

Bale couldn't fight good. At all. He looked like a kid flailing around, not a trained martial artist. Not one single fight scene in all three of those movies was filmed right. Not to mention that his suit looked like ass. Keaton deflected attacks, used his opponent's momentum against them, and just plain sounded intimidating, as well as having a classy bat-suit.

But I will agree on that final point. Conroy Batman is THE Batman. It's a goddamn crying shame that the Batman I always wanted to see on the big screen hasn't been and I could only see him in a cartoon or a video game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.