Batman General Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited May 2013
    counterweights.
  • Okay, this has become a boob thread. Let’s start over, hm?
  • edited June 2013
    So anyone ever play Batman Arkham City Lockdown for Ipad? I got it and its an OK game but its very cheap. There is a lot of times i tap to dodge but instead Batman attacks and gets a chunk of his health taken away. Then sometimes i defect an attack but the attack goes through Batman's cape and i still get hit. Then there is the enemies' rage where when the warning comes up to dodge, its too early sometimes causing me to dodge but go right back in and get hit by the enemy's attack taking a chunk of health. Its really annoying.
  • edited June 2013
    I had it on my ipod. It's okay. I had no control issues and it got a bit better once they updated it and made it longer with new abilities.
  • edited June 2013
    Worst comic ever. Conversely, best meme ever.
  • edited June 2013
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Worst comic ever. Conversely, best meme ever.

What!?! Now thats just wrong it had a lot that has made Batman better....like.....um.......Vicki Vale walking around thinking about what superheroes are hot!.....and Batman acting like a asshole.......wow this...this is just awful.

(Btw you are wrong, the worst Batman comic is Batman through the Looking Glass, ugh crappy art, characters not acting like themselves, and a horrible story. At least All-Star Batman at least had good art.
  • No, its not. The Dark Knight Strikes Again is the worst.
  • edited June 2013
    No, at least TDKSA had a story that was followable. Through the Looking Glass had awful artwork,a story which is unfollowable, and characters acting like morons.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm really going to have to take a look at this Through the Looking Glass. Never read it.
  • edited June 2013
    Ugh its awful. Horrible almost unfollowable story, art that looks awful and completely laughable at character's faces, and characters just don't act themselves. Here's a good review of Through the Looking Glass i found online.

http://batman-news.com/2012/01/16/batman-through-the-looking-glass-review/
  • I always thought Mad Hatter was too campy of a villain. With all the darkness in comic books going on, they should turn him into a serial killer/rapist who preys on blonde women (who he calls “Alice”) like Jack the Ripper and also happens to speak in rhyme. That would be much scarier than this mind-control crap.
  • edited June 2013
    I dunno, I think he's done that too!
  • Scratch that. Bat-Mite is the campiest villain. So is Mr. Myxzptlk.
  • edited June 2013
    Noname215 wrote: »
    Scratch that. Bat-Mite is the campiest villain.

Hes not all that villainous. Joker is the campiest:P
  • edited June 2013
    I always thought Mad Hatter was too campy of a villain. With all the darkness in comic books going on, they should turn him into a serial killer/rapist who preys on blonde women (who he calls “Alice”) like Jack the Ripper and also happens to speak in rhyme. That would be much scarier than this mind-control crap.

His portrayal in TAS was the best, ever. He was not campy, but was one f batmans most human foes, a lonely depressed man.

Rape is not dark or edgy, it's easy. Making human beings seem like human beings is always hard but from a writing perspective, far deeper and rewarding, than taking easy characterization routes.
  • I just think that most comic book villains who were originally campy have been turned into sick, twisted sociopaths who do sick, twisted things.

And that happens to be a very sick, twisted thing.
  • edited June 2013
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Rape is not dark or edgy, it's easy.

Man... you might want to rephrase this. You do not want to know the amount of restraint I had to use to not reply to this in the first five ways I came up with.
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah...that definitely didn't come out well. At all.

I see what he means from the story perspective. Picking something that's over the top that no one can condone is the easy way to portray a villain. Might as well add a waxed moustache and top hat. Humanising a character, making you sympathise with a character, yet still keeping up the antagonist role, is much more difficult. Depth makes a character memorable, not the horrible crimes.
  • edited June 2013
    Ryan, I want to punch your face off. Also, Noname, your wish has already been granted in the recent Detective Comics run. I hate it. I agree with DAISHI at the very least on Mad Hatter being great in TAS, but he's at his best in Through the Looking Glass.

The Mad Hatter, as a character, is perfect as a vehicle for a more surreal take on Batman, and that's what TTLG is. It's crazy, nonsensical, and pure insanity. In order to enjoy it, you have to go into it with the right mindset. Not expecting a typical Batman story, just something bizarre. It could be something MORE, but for what it is, it's neat.

The Hatter isn't a bad character, but no one knows what to do with him. That's the biggest problem. They made him psychopathic recently because it's easy and they didn't know what the hell else to try. As with every take on Batman and the reason TAS works so well, to know how to do it properly, they should look at Hitchcock. Tales like Psycho and Vertigo are great places to know how to take on Hatter visually and psychologically. The TAS team looked at Hitchcock frequently for influence, and comics/film writers should too.

Take the spinning visual in Vertigo. Apply that to falling into Wonderland. Take Stewarts obsession with his female co-star. Apply that to Alice. Take the unassuming nature of Bates. Apply that to Tetch.
  • edited June 2013
    Man... you might want to rephrase this. You do not want to know the amount of restraint I had to use to not reply to this in the first five ways I came up with.

I apologize. Obviously I don't mean in reality that it's neither dark nor edgy, but as a narrative tool it's no worse than murder, except we're culturally accommodated to murder.
  • edited June 2013
    Oh, I was just exercising restraint in not making an easy joke, actually. But that's a good point, too.
  • I still think the thing with Batman and Black Canary screwing was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen in a comic book.
  • edited June 2013
    I still think the thing with Batman and Black Canary screwing was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen in a comic book.

It's okay. They've got to keep the masks on. It's better that way.
  • edited October 2013
    Fawful you may have your own opinion on The Mad Hatter but here's the thing, 1 character does not make a book good. Fair enough if you go in with the right mindset it can be enjoyable, but this book was just the most bad take on Batman in my opinion.Take Batman Hush for example. It introduced Hush who was a good villain who found out Bruce's identity as Batman and masterminded all the villains into a plan except The Riddler. Hush was good but if the story was complete crap and the art was completely laughable then I will not say I loved the book just because Hush was one good character. Through the Looking Glass in my opinion had a story which was almost completely unfollowable, characters not acting like how they should be like Alfred sorta has some knowledge that Bruce has been effected by something, He and Robin automatically assume that Bruce has lost his mind. Also I did not like Mad Hatter in this. In Batman Tas he was a person who could be relatable, he was a person who loved someone but was shot down and heartbroken causing him to brainwash her. Here he is some kind of weird little creature. Also It's people's opinions if people like the Mad Hatter here or not, or if they like the Tas version. But I personally hated this book and it is the worst Batman book I have read.
  • edited June 2013
    Then you've never read this Batman comic.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm only surprised that he didn't call it a Bat Bladder Spasm. BBS for short.
  • edited June 2013
    They hit double digits. Psst...psst....Mortis...they're talking about ORGASMS. Batgasms for short.
  • edited June 2013
    WORST BATMAN COMIC EVER

wg03.jpg

wg07.jpg

Oh merciful gods.
  • edited June 2013
    She looks like Emma Frost.
  • edited June 2013
    They hit double digits. Psst...psst....Mortis...they're talking about ORGASMS. Batgasms for short.

Oh. That's a whole lot better than I was imagining.

I thought they were saying that they turned ten years old. Last time.
  • edited June 2013
    OK OK then Through the Looking Glass is the worst Batman comic/Graphic Novel that i have read :/
  • I thought Death by Design was pretty lame.
  • edited June 2013
    I thought Death by Design was pretty lame.

I liked that one. Needed more Batman and Joker, but I give it a lot of credit for the art. It's not often you see the sketchy, un-inked look in a superhero comic nowadays.
  • edited June 2013
    08d23297-b7e6-4a1b-808b-d9b191885660.jpg
  • I also thought that Venom was meant to be anti-drug propaganda.
  • edited June 2013
    Just ordered Batman: Thrillkiller. :D
  • edited June 2013
    So is that a book where you should Shoot to Thrill?
  • edited June 2013
    If looks could thrill...

Oh, the Batman thread has 1,000 posts. Just thought I'd point it out.
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah we finally hit 1000 posts and 50 pages in a year and a half :)

Anyway just thought i would share but my favourite animated Batman movie is Batman Beyond/of the Future Return of the Joker.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.