Batman General Discussion Thread

Comments

• There’s just one little problem: Conroy is fuck ugly. Bruce Wayne should be handsome, suave and charming. Conroy, if he was to play Batman in real life, would only be two out of three. As Batman, however, you need to be intimidating, strong physically as well mentally, a damn good martial artist, and good with an arsenal of a sorts of bat-stuff. Could he pull that off? Probably not.
  • edited July 2013
    Noname215 wrote: »
    There’s just one little problem: Conroy is fuck ugly. Bruce Wayne should be handsome, suave and charming. Conroy, if he was to play Batman in real life, would only be two out of three. As Batman, however, you need to be intimidating, strong physically as well mentally, a damn good martial artist, and good with an arsenal of a sorts of bat-stuff. Could he pull that off? Probably not.

It is a shame. But here's the thing. Keaton and Conroy had the right idea with their Batman voices. Drop it a couple of octaves. Go deeper. You don't have to sound like you chainsmoked 1000 Malboros to sound intimidating. I don't know if it was Bale's choice and they just rolled with it or if it was Nolan's thing.
  • He says in an interview that:

The Dark Knight will Bale's second time playing Batman, but the first go-around was no walk in the park. He said the hardest thing about getting into character was getting the voice down. Batman is known to have a signature scruffy voice, and that was a huge challenge for Bale.

He says, "On the first film, it took me a while to really get accustomed to the voice but it's like riding a bike. For the second one, I could just switch on and off any time."
  • edited July 2013
    I think that fighting is not the only thing that makes a good Batman. Yes fighting must be part of Batman but the way some people are making it sound just because someone as Batman is crap at fighting does not mean he is crap as Batman. He needs to sound as ShadowKnight explained, intimidating. Bale attempts to sound intimidating but thats the difference between Bale,Keaton, and Conroy. Bale felt he had to make some voice extremely hard to notice against Wayne's voice but instead of coming off as intimidating it came off as laughable while Conroy & Keaton knew they didn't have to change the voice that much. It made it deeper and darker not making the voice sound like Batman has a cold but making it sound intimidating.

Now back to the point of Batman fighting. I didn't think Keaton was that bad in fighting in Batman 1989. Adam West has an excuse for the laughable fighting. It was in the 60's where superheroes were campy and light and even The Dark Knight was campy as you can see by going pages back into the thread and seeing the funny panels people posted from the old Batman comics. Anyway if the comic is campy then of course the tv series will be campy.

But still Batman is not all about fighting, he is called the world's greatest detective in the comics for a reason. He has to be smart, he has to figure out things. That's how he lasts in fights against Superman in Dark Knight Returns or if you want even more, How he managed to figure out plans for taking down all of the members of the Justice League incase they turned evil in Justice League Doom and the novel that movie was based on Justice League Tower of Babel. But again as everyone knows. Kevin Conroy is Batman.

Beware the Batman is not on in the UK yet so i have no idea what its like. I guess it & Teen Titans Go! will come on in the same time if I had to guess.
  • You’ve forgotten the detective work behind it all.
  • edited July 2013
    That's what I was basically saying. He had to use his detective skills to find out the weaknesses of the Justice League etc but he needs to have good detective skills as well.
  • Sorry, didn’t read the whole thing.
  • edited July 2013
    He says in an interview that:

The Dark Knight will Bale's second time playing Batman, but the first go-around was no walk in the park. He said the hardest thing about getting into character was getting the voice down. Batman is known to have a signature scruffy voice, and that was a huge challenge for Bale.

He says, "On the first film, it took me a while to really get accustomed to the voice but it's like riding a bike. For the second one, I could just switch on and off any time."

"Scruffy voice"? Really? None of the Batmans had that kind of voice.
  • edited July 2013
    C. Superman becomes the target of a smear campaign by Metropolis's biggest businessman, Lex Luthor, who points out that Superman has killed before and since no weapon on Earth can harm him, there is nothing to prevent him from doing it again. Superman must come to terms with the responsibilities placed on him while fending off unknown assailants who utilize stolen Kryptonian weaponry before facing off with Lex Luthor himself in a powered armor suit.

What if they did C, but with Batman instead of Lex Luthor? It probably couldn't fit into the Dark Knight universe as we left it, but if we assume that there have been at least a couple of years of Batman (or new-Batman) establishing the Batman-does-not-kill rule in the public consiousness, there could be an interesting contrast between the characters at this point, from which this strange violent Superman could learn some lessons that will make him a better hero
  • When did this become a Superman thread?
  • edited July 2013
    When Batman was announced for Man of Steel 2?

In all fairness, while the thread is generally Batman based, Its OK to talk about other DC Heroes and news about them in this thread.
  • edited July 2013
    I didn't know (nor particularly care) if there was a Superman thread or not.

(This does not mean you now have to go and create one, Ryan. :p)

And since the news was about Batman AND Superman, it made sense to post it here.
  • edited July 2013
    I don't intend to Darth. Again as I said. Even though the thread is Batman based, I don't mind people discussing other DC heroes or DC news in this thread.
  • edited July 2013
    I don't intend to Darth. Again as I said. Even though the thread is Batman based, I don't mind people discussing other DC heroes or DC news in this thread.

Oh well as long as you don't mind.
  • edited July 2013
    Heh they've been in enough crossovers you might as well consider almost every hero and villain connecting to Batman someway :P (I'm just joking -_-)
  • Even Swamp Thing and the Watchmen?
  • edited July 2013
    Even the Pipi Longstockings!
  • edited July 2013
    Well every DC superhero (Even a couple of Marvel ones)
  • edited July 2013
    Even Swamp Thing and the Watchmen?

Batman and Swamp Thing:

1250645-swamp_thing_batman_2_super.jpg

Batman easter egg in Watchmen:

zack-snyder-watchmen-batman.jpg
  • edited July 2013
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Batman and Swamp Thing
    Swamp Thing actually beat the crap out of Batman at one point. So much for the "infallible" caped crusader.:rolleyes:
  • edited July 2013
    It's now confirmed that Batman Arkham Origins will have an online multiplayer part. The players are separated into a Joker gang and a Bane gang and another two players spawn as Batman & Robin who must use different fear tactics to scare them.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/07/31/batman-arkham-origins-multiplayer-revealed/
  • edited July 2013
    Which will not be on the WiiU version.

Which only justifies me going for the Adam West err PS3 version of the game that I'm not at all getting specifically for a player skin.
  • edited August 2013
    Its been confirmed and shown what will be in the Batman Arkham Origins Collectors Edition. The bad news is its apparently UK exclusive.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/07/batman-arkham-origins-uk-exclusive-collectors-edition-revealed
  • edited August 2013
    So Batman/Superman whatever is being filmed in Detroit and other parts of Michigan. Well, the good news is that I guess they don't have to build uninhabited buildings to destroy.
  • edited August 2013
    Wonder if it's standing in for Metropolis or Gotham.
  • edited August 2013
    Wonder if it's standing in for Metropolis or Gotham.

You ever been to Detroit?
  • edited August 2013
    Johro wrote: »
    Actually, I think the general feeling amongst both fans is concern.

Only one of my friends is excited by the announcement. Everyone else feels as though it is either too early or it shouldn't be done at all. The folks who have read the comics and novels should be even more concerned as(and I really don't think I'm out of place on this one) EVERY major crossover between Superman and Batman in the canon felt forced and out of place(especially TDKR which they cited as inspiration).

I really don't think this is a good idea for either franchise. Not in the live action universe. I was not a huge fan of The Avengers and I felt that movie barely held it together combining heroes. All the depth and substance laid for each hero as a person was tossed out the window. Now bring in Superman and Batman. The two biggest names...ever. Face it, nobody else even comes close in popularity. Marvel may own the title for complete roster, but DC definitely has 1 & 2.

This is an immense disaster waiting to happen. I'm not kidding here. If this movie doesn't blow Avengers completely out of the water, which isn't likely as a lot of people hailed that film as a masterpiece, the film will just defecate all over both franchises. A bad animated film is much easier to ignore than live action.

You only say it feels forced because you never read my Superman story.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator

Arkham Knight certainly does look amazing. I won't be able to play it for a while though, since I don't plan on getting an Xbox One or PlayStation 4 until there is a price cut (as I usually do with consoles), and my PC is definitely too old to handle this game.

• Was not there a price cut for the xbox one titanfall edition? But seriously I feel what you're saying and I feel the same. If I remember though, did not the 360 and ps3 cut prices after 3 years at launch? Anyway I see no reason for either of them to drop price until the slimmer model comes out or if they are sales from stores. I'm curious how DRM works saved from previous consoles, if I could transfer purchased or free xbox live items onto a flash drive and play them on the newer consoles. Somehow I doubt it.

Jennifer posted: »

Arkham Knight certainly does look amazing. I won't be able to play it for a while though, since I don't plan on getting an Xbox One or Play

• edited April 2014

I love this thread thumb say leave few comments in next few days but start with batman completed most recently and might do few movies

Review of Batman Arkham Origins

Story - Black Mask hires lots of assassins to kill Batman putting 50 million price on his head set before previous games first shows how batman got introduced to many Villains

Gameplay -

Exact same as previous games open world, using gadgets and counter attacks to travel around and defeat enemies with tons of puzzles

Overall -

Having completed previous Arkhams which I seen as masterpieces I was really excited for this and bought it despite all awful reviews and find out they were actually being kind to a truly awful copy and paste of previous games. Whole game just seemed boring and predictable whole time waiting to get the buzz of playing as dark knight never happens whole game was painful trying to motivate myself to complete it. Same gadgets, same city everything exact same without any innovation or creativity. Different actor who played Joker Barker who rate very highly was miscast in my opinion and Joker was my favorite character ever just didn't work for me. Only thing going for it was the boss fights epic and everyone was different very challenging have to master the counters to even stand a chance so epic each boss offered different skill to master. All dlc's and add on Bullsh** to squeeze every last penny out of you was just annoying and very disappointing

Rating

4/10

• As soon as I saw there was a Batman thread I knew that the Joker would be rooting around here somewhere :)

Markd4547 posted: »

I love this thread thumb say leave few comments in next few days but start with batman completed most recently and might do few movies Re

• Did someone say... BATMAN?

• edited April 2014

Alt text

Always about the Batman :(

Rafoli posted: »

Did someone say... BATMAN?

• edited April 2014

I'm a little surprised that the Batman:Assault on Arkham trailer has not been posted here yet but I'm guessing that the news on Arkham Knight overshadowed it.

I'm guessing this takes place after Origins:Blackgate due to having the team assembled in that game in the trailer.

• Interesting... So they released two animated Batman movies so close together. DC animated movies have a great reputation so I'm down with it.

I'm a little surprised that the Batman:Assault on Arkham trailer has not been posted here yet but I'm guessing that the news on Arkham Knigh

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited August 2014

Man, how did I miss the release of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z65aq1EVGhs

So awesome to see the DCAU designs again (along with several others). Great short for Batman's anniversary.

• Did anyone else shed a tear when Arkham Knight was delayed?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.