[SPOILERS] CARLEY [Ep 3 discussion]

Comments

• edited September 2012
    bakajin wrote: »
    LOL at Aerith. But either way, the whole point of the character was for Lee to lose someone he was close too without it being Clem. Too bad, because it's kind of a cliche. It would have been more of a test for Lee to have Carley as the thief but Ben gets blamed for it. Then he'd have a real issue to deal with going forward.

yah, while i was investigating i was like i hope its not her. and thought of scenarios if it were. like we'd run away together lol
  • edited September 2012
    The only way I can imagine Carley still being alive is that the bullet scraped her cheek and ear and knocked her unconsious. The other deaths were so obviously shown...Katjaa with the gun in her hand, YOU or Kenny shoot Duck, Larry's head was smashed in, the girl in the woods had the bullet through her eye...

But with Carley you just see a spurt of blood then her facing down.

There are also the zombies at the end, but if you left Lilly behind (which I think most people should have) then they'd chase after her.

It's a long shot, and 95% chance she is dead...but still :( :( :(

I hope the dream thing or a memorial happens, just so Lee can say goodbye.
  • edited September 2012
    In the comic there is a guy who get's shot and survives and he's called Carl, and the one who got shot in the game is Carley, you see what they've done there Carl-Carley anyway that made me think about it but I'll guess we will have to wait and see.
  • edited September 2012
    Ultraa wrote: »
    In the comic there is a guy who get's shot and survives and he's called Carl, and the one who got shot in the game is Carley, you see what they've done there Carl-Carley anyway that made me think about it but I'll guess we will have to wait and see.

That's interesting. The TV show introduced me to the Walking Dead and I have been avoiding reading too far into the comics to keep away from future spoilers. That's a small ray or hope.
  • edited September 2012
    Maugly wrote: »
    I think with all those threads lying around at this forum, 'Carley dies' will become just as much of a spoiler as 'L dies', 'Aerith dies', etc :)
    He deserved to die just as much as Carley...which is not at all!!
    Kinda made me stop rooting for Light afterwards. "Screw you, 'imagaY'!"
    Along with the notion to leave Lilly to die and threaten Ben after the 'R.V. incident'.
  • edited September 2012
    Dammit, I got so pissed when she died. She was the one female character in the game (between her and Lilly) that I actually liked. >.<
  • edited September 2012
    Rock114 wrote: »
    Them's the breaks folks, people are going to die in terrible, horrible ways for no good reason in the ZA, and TWD is trying to emulate that. You can't trust anyone really, not even the people in your group. I sure as hell didn't see Carley going out like that, but it was entirely possible. Lilly seems to have always hated Carley, if you pay attention in Episode 1 at the drug store. Look at it this way, Carley died quickly and painlessly. That is pretty much the best we can hope for. She won't become a walker now. She won't be disemboweled by a rotting corpse. In short, Carley/Doug has been the luckiest person so far in the game.

As for our choices, well, I think those are more for us to judge ourselves on. Like with that girl in the first chapter, how many of us shot her to put her out of her misery? More people than that left her to be eaten. Are we stone cold survivalists who only care about seeing another day, or do we try to hold on to what's left of our humanity even if it ends up doing us in? And exactly how much can we go through before we break?
    Finally, somebody who gets it. The choices we make in TWD don't really determine who lives and who dies, nor do they determine where everybody goes next. Short term, they effect how your fellow survivors feel about and react to you. Long term, they determine whether you've still got your humanity, or whether you're a ruthless person dedicated to your own survival only.

Saying the choices you make don't matter, means you're missing the point, big time.

It comes with age, I think. When I was in my twenties, I could have played a game like this and not been so emotionally invested. Now, as a man approaching 40, with a wife and daughter, the idea of losing them is the most terrifying thing I can imagine. Now, when I watch a movie or play a game in which a parent and child are torn apart, it really gets to me. I'd be lying if I said this episode didn't bring me to tears. Carley was shocking, and Duck & Katja... well, I'm just a big old blubbering baby.
  • edited September 2012
    Guys, as a true fan of Carley, I say she REALLY is dead. Yes sure she took a shot to the cheek, yeah sure, walkers go after lilly instead, yes sure, BEST PLACE to put another story changing choice but theres one thing that destroys ALL that evidence....

Nicole Vigil, Voice actor of Carley, confirmed she TRULY is dead, along with saying how TTG planned this MUCH earlier.

Dammit, damn you TTG >.<

*Look on her facebook if you don't believe me -_-*
  • edited September 2012
    I actually thought that her death was perfect. The only thing I would have liked to see is Lee actually mourn her a little bit (which he could now that they are on a train for a few hours and not running around as much as he would be.) I can see Episode 4 starting out with a little remembering of Carley.

But that was one of those moments that reminded me that I was playing The Walking Dead, that this was a world where nobody is safe. I honestly had no idea what to do with Lilly at that point and thought that she had truly become unhinged. She was the only person my Lee truly trusted other then Carley so seeing that threw his world in to the shitter.

But I can't believe some people whine that the death is cheap. Have you not seen the show? Read the books? People die at the drop of a hat. That's what it is supposed to happen! And yes, Doug dies here too, we get it. But it doesn't happen the same way. It's not really about those characters as much but showing that Lilly is completely gone. The way that she pleaded with Lee showed just how crestfallen (word of of the day) that she was.

I will miss Carley. I hope that they don't completely ignore her in the future episodes, but I like that her death came so suddenly because that's how things should happen in this world!
  • edited September 2012
    I actually thought that her death was perfect. The only thing I would have liked to see is Lee actually mourn her a little bit (which he could now that they are on a train for a few hours and not running around as much as he would be.) I can see Episode 4 starting out with a little remembering of Carley.

But that was one of those moments that reminded me that I was playing The Walking Dead, that this was a world where nobody is safe. I honestly had no idea what to do with Lilly at that point and thought that she had truly become unhinged. She was the only person my Lee truly trusted other then Carley so seeing that threw his world in to the shitter.

But I can't believe some people whine that the death is cheap. Have you not seen the show? Read the books? People die at the drop of a hat. That's what it is supposed to happen! And yes, Doug dies here too, we get it. But it doesn't happen the same way. It's not really about those characters as much but showing that Lilly is completely gone. The way that she pleaded with Lee showed just how crestfallen (word of of the day) that she was.

I will miss Carley. I hope that they don't completely ignore her in the future episodes, but I like that her death came so suddenly because that's how things should happen in this world!

Agree competely. In real life there would be no obvious moment when someone would die, and we would never be able to predict it either - or how it'll happen. It's a shock but thats what it would be in real life wouldn't it?

Hopefully we'll get to see the last farewells of Carely somehow in Ep. 4 - maybe in a dream or memorial or something.
  • edited September 2012
    Her death was exactly the same as Rebecca Chang from Dead Rising...not to mention their same jobs...both of their death just killed me!
  • edited September 2012
    That just goes to show that only Frank West can go toe to toe in the Zombie Arena.
  • edited September 2012
    He covered wars, ya know?
  • edited September 2012
    I don't think they had to kill Carley in order for Lily to leave. They just as easily could have left her at the Motor Inn. I'd be fascinated to hear what Telltale's thinking is behind killing off 3 main characters in all of about 5 minutes though.

I'd say they are sticking to the theme of Kirkman's world. Quite nicely in fact.
  • edited September 2012
    I was kinda hoping that you would leave Lily during the raid and she wouldn't come to the van. The whole thing would have been avoided AND you get the mental anquish of leaving Lily to mercy of the bandits.
  • edited September 2012
    Over the fucking line, telltale.

Not buying your shit anymore. Fuck you
  • edited September 2012
    Check it out, now the game has less original characters than the comics! In just three episodes! It took issue #100 to finally kill Glenn!:eek:

I don't mind people dying in the comics or show but I'm playing a game and I want to enjoy it, not sit here swearing at my computer screen because I have to watch one of my favorite characters get shot 4 times trying to avoid it.

Dragon Age 2, your choices can either get your sister/brother killed or saved depending on you. Why not this? I went back on Dragon Age 2, re did and entire story just so the sister/brother wouldn't die and I was happy with it.

This is a game, I get it's The Walking Dead, but still, the show curves off from the comics in like 50 different directions, the game just goes, "in the end all of you die, so have a field day with the great American road trip and make sure you don't get bitten until you enjoy the scenery!"

Comics: People get killed randomly, all the time. Everyone, even the babies.
    Show: The only people that die are the ones no one seems to like, but slowly kills off some people from the comic, and has people who aren't even in it?
    Game: Kill off any character that is friendly. Cop, Shawn, Mark, Teacher, Carley, Duck, Katjaa. The only mean people who die are the ones that threaten Lee's life.

I want to enjoy the game, not go "...well it was fun, now it just seems like four similar stories with same consequences and different dialogue.

All I want is a patch that can save a character from death, nameably Carley. It would just lighten things up so much more. Kenny's always pissed after Episode 1, Lilly's always pissed. No such thing as balance. Just putting you down, time after time. Might as well go listen to Pokemon Lavender town music and see who dies in this game next.
  • edited September 2012
    Goes to show how a character can affect someone.
  • edited September 2012
    ezeldav wrote: »

lmao I cannot stop laughing at this! It's too fucking funny.
  • edited September 2012
    Just read spoilers now for Episode 4.

When I see something that says Episode 3 Patch then I'll go play again. :]
  • edited September 2012
    Boohoo your character died. so what? sure i was pissed too but i got over it.
  • edited September 2012
    Aww someone's mad.

It's funny, because Carley got a very tame and painless death. Fan favorites usually get the honor of dieing slow and painful deaths. Would you rather see her get decapitated? Beat to death with a baseball bat? How about becoming among the 20 or so people that died in one comic in one specific battle?

Yeah, get over it guys and be lucky Carley isn't suffering anymore.
  • edited September 2012
    MichaCHOW wrote: »
    I don't mind people dying in the comics or show but I'm playing a game and I want to enjoy it
    Why is it you respect the artistic integrity of the comic writer, the tv writer but the not video game writer? Why is it acceptable for characters to die in those medium but in a video game its suddenly not enjoyable?
    All I want is a patch that can save a character from death, nameably Carley.
    Did you write to Kirkman asking to him redo issue #x?
    Or to AMC to redo an episode? Either of these parties would laugh at the thought
    Why would you ask this of TellTale?
  • edited September 2012
    Witch!

Oh, sorry...etc....etc....
  • edited September 2012
    A kid died in the game and you're upset over the death of your in-game girlfriend? Lol. Wow. I don't even know what to say.

*start sarcasm*Damn you TT.. Living dead, murder, amputations, cannibalism, child deaths. All of this was fine. But killing Carley = line crossed. Grrrrrr.. I hate you TT. *end sarcasm*

And to clarify Im not upset with the death of a child in the game. It's part of the story that we are playing and I expected it at somw point. Sucked, because I liked Duck but I'm not mad.
  • edited September 2012
    Wasteman
  • edited September 2012

Someone lost their girlfriend
    umadbro?
  • edited September 2012
    Only thing I was upset about Carleys death was how the game was advertised as choices and this would be the perfect time to add a choice and see how your choices played out that would determine carleys faith -.-

The worst part I guess is that the voice actor of Carley confirmed she truly is dead and it was planned from the beginning, so anyone saying she'll come back is pretty much wrong :(
  • edited September 2012
    I didn't say I respect them.

The only acceptable one I enjoyed was the comics.
    The TV show is just bland and predictable at this point.

It's a game that you interact with, not a movie/story.
  • edited September 2012
    Shes dead.
    The voice actor of Carley said she truly is dead, and that her death was planned from the beginning of the project. So it denies that even if Carley got shot in the cheek, shes dead. It also denies that they had budget issues and were too lazy to do Doug or Carley since it was indeed planned before Episode 1 when the story and writing were in development.

Dang you TTG >.<
    Oh well, If Clem dies in Ep. 4 for some reason then I got nothing left to care about besides Kenny who is kind of broken *but we stuck together, he saved me in the pharmancy and was nice to me mostly, I don't see why people keep saying he only cared about his family, perhaps others were just a big jerk to him because in my playthrough hes the complete opposite of what people describe him to be...*
  • edited September 2012
    The worst part I guess is that the voice actor of Carley confirmed she truly is dead and it was planned from the beginning, so anyone saying she'll come back is pretty much wrong :(

Oooh where's the quote for that. I want to bring it up on every single flawed "but one person survived a gunshot, clearly the exact same thing will happen here" BS that happens every other thread.
  • edited September 2012
    Kenny never helped me because I didn't kill Larry. "Don't be that guy, don't be that guy Kenny!" He's that guy -.-
  • edited September 2012
    Check it out, now the game has less original characters than the comics! In just three episodes! It took issue #100 to finally kill Glenn!:eek:

I don't mind people dying in the comics or show but I'm playing a game and I want to enjoy it, not sit here swearing at my computer screen because I have to watch one of my favorite characters get shot 4 times trying to avoid it.

Dragon Age 2, your choices can either get your sister/brother killed or saved depending on you. Why not this? I went back on Dragon Age 2, re did and entire story just so the sister/brother wouldn't die and I was happy with it.

This is a game, I get it's The Walking Dead, but still, the show curves off from the comics in like 50 different directions, the game just goes, "in the end all of you die, so have a field day with the great American road trip and make sure you don't get bitten until you enjoy the scenery!"

Comics: People get killed randomly, all the time. Everyone, even the babies.
    Show: The only people that die are the ones no one seems to like, but slowly kills off some people from the comic, and has people who aren't even in it?
    Game: Kill off any character that is friendly. Cop, Shawn, Mark, Teacher, Carley, Duck, Katjaa. The only mean people who die are the ones that threaten Lee's life.

I want to enjoy the game, not go "...well it was fun, now it just seems like four similar stories with same consequences and different dialogue.

All I want is a patch that can save a character from death, nameably Carley. It would just lighten things up so much more. Kenny's always pissed after Episode 1, Lilly's always pissed. No such thing as balance. Just putting you down, time after time. Might as well go listen to Pokemon Lavender town music and see who dies in this game next.

You're taking it out of context my friend, there are only 5 episodes to begin with, so Carley had a good amount of exposure.

I kind of wished that she died a bit later in episode 3 or heck episode 4 but the shock value of seeing her die was executed well. I really felt angry and sad of what Lily did.

The only thing I didn't like was that there really wasn't proper closure when she died. I think the point of Carley dying is to allow the player's to feel a sense of loss. Because to be honest in the past two episodes, most of the deaths were fodder.

Mark is likeable but wasn't there long enough to get attached too. I was more shocked than sad when Larry died and also empathized with what Lily was going through. But with Carley it really hit me hard since I trusted her the most among the adults.

I think most Carley fans aren't complaining that she died but rather the way it was handled like others pointed out. There really should've been more time for Lee to reflect and contemplate on that loss.

Also a patch would ruin what the Walking Dead stands for. It's a world that does not differentiate from bad or good. A world where good people or people you care about are taken from you in the most abrupt or cruel way imaginable
  • edited September 2012
    Shes dead.
    The voice actor of Carley said she truly is dead, and that her death was planned from the beginning of the project. So it denies that even if Carley got shot in the cheek, shes dead. It also denies that they had budget issues and were too lazy to do Doug or Carley since it was indeed planned before Episode 1 when the story and writing were in development.

I keep reading this, but do we have an actual link to it?
  • edited September 2012
    I didn't say I respect them.

The only acceptable one I enjoyed was the comics.
    The TV show is just bland and predictable at this point.

It's a game that you interact with, not a movie/story.

Haha so you dont even respect them, but here you are asking for some patch to save Carley which would alter the story (btw that aint happening).
    Go ask Kirkman to bring back Glenn, see how that works out for ya
  • edited September 2012

I totally see him taking a tire iron to their cars, quoting Lebowski.
  • edited September 2012
    Goes to show how a character can affect someone.

Exactly :)
  • edited September 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Oooh where's the quote for that. I want to bring it up on every single flawed "but one person survived a gunshot, clearly the exact same thing will happen here" BS that happens every other thread.

they'll only come back with a petition to get the voice actor rehired...it never ends
  • edited September 2012
    Glenn died pretty tragically but it was understandable with the storyline.

You're reading so much out of context
  • edited September 2012
    It's a shame how she died though, but it's just a game after all
This discussion has been closed.