SBCG4AP 101: Homestar Ruiner! - It's Out!

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
homestarruiner_forum.jpg

It's the update you've been waiting for!

Find out what will happen in the first episode of SBCG4AP, check out the new screenshots, and watch the gameplay video. Then come back here and talk about how excited you are.

Comments

• edited May 2008
    I love Homestar's mention of "cake jugglers". This shows that for sure the unique humor of the online cartoon will transition to the game perfectly. When are you going to announce the price?
  • edited May 2008
    "Whisperingly." :D Pure awesome.
  • edited May 2008
    So apparently Nintendo is going ape crazy with the WiiWare releases, squeezing them out whenever they feel like. High Voltage was surprised to not have Gyrostarr released, but Blackjack. BLACKJACK. What's next, prices?
  • edited May 2008
    Woo! Getting excited. Wait, wait... let me put back on my game face. There, better.
  • edited May 2008
    Looks great, but the lip syncing is a bit off. Was that a video from the Wii or PC version?
  • edited May 2008
    I think I may actually have felt some "uncanny valley" with it, preposterous as that sounds. Either that or there was something weird about the angle or the eye placing on Homestar's face. Anyone else get a strange vibe?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Looks great, but the lip syncing is a bit off. Was that a video from the Wii or PC version?

PC. Don't trust lip-syncing in video, though. There's a lot of stuff going on that can make it seem off (like the fact that it's a debug build that has a lot of stuff going on in the background, or the fact that capturing a video can make the framerate drop, or the fact that streaming a video on the internet can make the framerate drop...)
  • edited May 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    PC. Don't trust lip-syncing in video, though. There's a lot of stuff going on that can make it seem off (like the fact that it's a debug build that has a lot of stuff going on in the background, or the fact that capturing a video can make the framerate drop, or the fact that streaming a video on the internet can make the framerate drop...)
    And the fact that Telltale's lipsyncing has always been a bit meh... You get used to it after a few episodes
    ;) Still, it's pretty decent when compared to the lip sync in most video games.

The only thing that bugs me about Homestar is that there's some subtle lines that look almost like creases appear at the sides of his mouth sometimes. Kind of off-putting. On the flip side, I really love the way he sways around when he speaks, and some of the expressions he makes are awesome.

I also really love the "whisperingly." :D

Oh! And we haven't seen much "wandering around"-style video, but the shots of Strong Bad running from left to right through several locations make me wonder if this game is played in a kind of 2-D perspective? I wouldn't mind that at all.
    edited May 2008
    It's not like a side-scroller, if that's what you're asking, but since the environments are simpler, there probably aren't as many camera changes when you're walking around as in Sam & Max. (But QA, who has been playing the game non-stop for days, may disagree with me on this...)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, that's a pretty accurate statement. Everything is 3D, but the cameras are usually set to view the scene from one side, so it can have an isometric sidescroller feel at times.
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    And the fact that Telltale's lipsyncing has always been a bit meh... You get used to it after a few episodes
    ;) Still, it's pretty decent when compared to the lip sync in most video games.

Heh, I like how you used the spoiler tag to complain about our lip sync. :)
  • edited May 2008
    He didn't want to hurt your feelings. :)
  • edited May 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I also really love the "whisperingly." :D

Amen, brother. I can't put my finger on WHY it's so funny, it just is. :D And yes, I've been looking for opportunities in conversations to say "Whisperingly".
    edited May 2008
    It's because he doesn't say "whisperingly", he says "wispwerinwy". :D
  • edited May 2008
    ^Haha, true.

That's another thing. after I watch H*R, my brainvoice always reads everything in Homestar's voice... rather odd side effect. I should consult my local physician of choice.
  • edited May 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    "wispwerinwy"
    wait....what?
    ShaggE wrote: »
    That's another thing. after I watch H*R, my brainvoice always reads everything in Homestar's voice... rather odd side effect. I should consult my local physician of choice.
    maybe a psychologist would also be helpful...i have the same problem, but with strong bad's voice...expect when it comes to mountain dew.
  • edited May 2008
    well anywayz, the game looks PIMPINLY RAW!!!!! and will probably rule. im VERY EAGERLY waiting.
  • edited May 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    wait....what?

That's how Homestar Runner speaks. He says all R's as W's (English W's, not German W's, which are more like V's).
  • edited May 2008
    SBCG4AP keeps looking better. I don't remember the last time I was this excited for a game... never? Can't wait to play it.

*Love how Homestar is carrying around his home phone.
  • edited May 2008
    June is too far away. It's looking awesome! :D
  • edited May 2008
    RobD wrote: »
    June is too far away. It's looking awesome! :D

Two weeks isn't that bad!
  • edited May 2008
    That's how Homestar Runner speaks.
    i know...he can't even pronounce his own name properly...but wispwerinwy shounded strangely familiar to me...;)
  • edited May 2008
    I'll bet Strong Bad would think of Homestar's speech as a pale stereotype of Elmer Fudd's speech. Of course, given the situation that would unfold in the beginning of the game...
    I'd say that Strong Bad HIMSELF is the one who ruins Homestar Runner, by swiping his trademark shirt while Homestar is in the shower, and hence, causing Homestar to be accused of Public Nudity charges. And I can just TELL that Homestar's nudity will be unnecessarily pixelated.
  • edited May 2008
    I'll bet Strong Bad would think of Homestar's speech as a pale stereotype of Elmer Fudd's speech. Of course, given the situation that would unfold in the beginning of the game...
    I'd say that Strong Bad HIMSELF is the one who ruins Homestar Runner, by swiping his trademark shirt while Homestar is in the shower, and hence, causing Homestar to be accused of Public Nudity charges. And I can just TELL that Homestar's nudity will be unnecessarily pixelated.

Ok... I'm confused. :confused:
  • edited May 2008
    Well, even though Strong Bad pretty much hates Homestar Runner for being so cool and athletic, Strong Bad can't help but try to feel sorry for him, and decides to clear up Homestar's Good name,
    despite being the one who roons it in the forst place. Of course, if you're referring to why Homestar is living in Strong Bad's basement, according to the trailer, you'd have to play the game, yourself.
    In the meantime, enjoy this SBEmail, in which Homestar is naked, and used as a model for making a Strong Bad Costume.
  • edited May 2008
    Uh, you kinda make it sound like your making the game...
    I hope this isn't what the game is actually about...:eek:
  • edited May 2008
    So, what if it's what might trigger the true plot of the game (try to get Homestar out of Strong Bad's house, by clearing his good name)? At least I was only thinking it. If it proves to be true, may Strong Bad of Digibutter.nerr.biz strike me with many weapons on that forum for ratting out on his plot!

But seriously, at least I'm just smart enough to learn the plot without playing the game. Maybe too smart.
  • edited May 2008
    I don’t know why but this franchise is quite uninteresting and unappealing for me and the graphics don’t help either.

Ill wait for the first demo but so far I don’t think this is going to be a hit series like bone or S&M.
  • edited May 2008
    So.... Is the Wii as horrible as the old Nintendo Power Glove? Still makes you wave your arm around like an @$$hole.
  • edited May 2008
    glenfx wrote: »
    I don’t know why but this franchise is quite uninteresting and unappealing for me and the graphics don’t help either.

Ill wait for the first demo but so far I don’t think this is going to be a hit series like bone or S&M.

There are probably more Homestar Runner fans than Sam & Max fans. Shit, everyone in the college I go to knows who Strong Bad is, but only a handfull know Sam & Max.
  • edited May 2008
    It's actually odd that I'm the only person that openly admits to liking H*R with the exception of my cousin and 1 teacher at my college. Patches + Laptop Bag = sweet.
  • edited May 2008
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    So.... Is the Wii as horrible as the old Nintendo Power Glove? Still makes you wave your arm around like an @$$hole.
    The difference is that the Wiimote actually works.
    Besides, I love the power glove. It's so bad!
  • edited May 2008
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    There are probably more Homestar Runner fans than Sam & Max fans. Shit, everyone in the college I go to knows who Strong Bad is, but only a handfull know Sam & Max.

Yeah, I knew about homestar runner and especially Strong Bad for a long time. However, I only found out about Sam and Max by chance when I ran across some episodes of the 90's cartoon... only a year back! Enjoyed them and started looking up other things about it, like what the comics were about and the old game and what not.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm also curious about just what exact release date for this game is in June, or if it will just be released sometime in June.
  • edited May 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    The difference is that the Wiimote actually works.
    Besides, I love the power glove. It's so bad!

I love the power glove because i can give the power finger!:D
  • edited May 2008
    The gameplay video has been sneakishly replaced! Mostly a bunch of discrete visual changes, some more obvious than others. The dialogue also starts slightly differently and the in-between clicking is gone and/or edited out.
    fnerdk.png
  • edited May 2008
    leon101 wrote: »
    I'm also curious about just what exact release date for this game is in June, or if it will just be released sometime in June.
    Same here, but it may not be Telltale's fault that we haven't gotten a release date yet, at least according to the article below:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=44648

Apparently Nintendo didn't even tell one developer the release date until it was already released. I don't know if that's the case here, but hopefully they will get it nailed down so they can let us know.
  • edited May 2008
    They could always just release the PC version to tide us over until the Wii version is out... we won't tell anyone, promise! :p
  • edited May 2008
    For us Australians, it's already June! Can't wait! eekdance.gif
  • edited May 2008
    Znex wrote: »
    For us Australians, it's already June! Can't wait! eekdance.gif

Has your smily had to much coffee and Wretched Simmons Dancing Lessons(TM)?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.