SBCG4AP 101: Homestar Ruiner! - It's Out!

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    StrongMatt wrote: »
    OHHH! How lucky you guys are! Seeing it before anyone else.

Here's a question for any TTG crew member, what is the best way for a 13 year old to become a member of a game production crew? I really want to get involved in making games when I grow up, have you got any tips?

Thanks!

You should check out this thread. It is buried way down in the general forums, but has some pretty good advice.
  • edited June 2008
    Cheers, I really appreaciate it!
    But, what if I want to not do so much of the computer stuff. (programming, etc.) But, more of the ideas and stuff like that, storylines, characters, locations...
  • edited June 2008
    But, what if I want to not do so much of the computer stuff. (programming, etc.) But, more of the ideas and stuff like that, storylines, characters, locations...

Do you mean the writing? Because in that case, the best thing you can do is start writing stories and get published. Build up some publication credits to show that you're not only familiar with writing on a professional level, but have enough skill and/or style that people have paid you for your work.

That said, I'd also strongly encourage you to learn some of the computer stuff. Ideas are well and good, but if you also know how to make them work within the structure of the game you'll be all the more valuable. The more skills and knowledge you bring to the table, the more appealing you'll be to a prospective employer.
  • edited June 2008
    Cool, I'm not becoming a proper writer though! NO WAY! I am good at computers though, I'm good with Flash, well OK, I can code this and that.
  • edited June 2008
    You may mean designing video games, which still requires a lot of practice and involvement and structure and such. I think the best way to get into making games is to just start making them. No foolin'.

But seriously, don't listen to me. I have absolutely no knowledge of the video game industry. Or at least nothing anyone in the industry would know. I'm just some guy.
  • edited June 2008
    Cool, I'm not becoming a proper writer though! NO WAY! I am good at computers though, I'm good with Flash, well OK, I can code this and that.
    What do you mean by 'proper writer?'
    Writer is a very general concept and isn't limited to just books. You can write music (although that's probably considered a completely different skill set) or TV shows or movies or video games or...
    That said, it's probably easier to get a start with straight-up written word. It doesn't all have to be just telling stories, you know.
  • edited June 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    That said, it's probably easier to get a start with straight-up written word.

Bag. I am a writer!
  • edited June 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'proper writer?'
    J.K. Rowling, etc.
  • edited June 2008
    J.K. Rowling, etc.
    You don't need to be an author of novels to be a writer of things.
  • edited June 2008
    Never said you did... LOL.
  • edited June 2008
    This game looks awesome but, is it just me, or do they sound they are talking to three-year olds? (really slowly)
  • edited June 2008
    Skywalker wrote: »
    This game looks awesome but, is it just me, or do they sound they are talking to three-year olds? (really slowly)

You mean in the first trailer? If so, than it's on purpose. It's like they are reciting their lines for a commercial.
  • edited June 2008
    BadStrong wrote: »
    You mean in the first trailer? If so, than it's on purpose. It's like they are reciting their lines for a commercial.

It is called a "Joke".
  • edited June 2008
    It is called a "Joke".

Oh really? I didn't notice.:p
  • edited June 2008
    I'm confused now!

If you mean lip sync, that's fine in the actual game, trust me, everything's gooooood.
    edited June 2008
    Back on topic!
    Juhsayngul wrote: »
    You may mean designing video games, which still requires a lot of practice and involvement and structure and such. I think the best way to get into making games is to just start making them. No foolin'.

You speak the truth. For example, our very own Mark Darin (lead designer on HSR) made a name for himself with his Nick Bounty games. A lot of design seems like it would be fairly straightforward and easy to do until you get right down into it. Learning the ropes, getting your hands dirty, and having an actual portfolio to show to prospective companies is a huuuge step in the right direction.
  • edited June 2008
    What job do you have Will?
    edited June 2008
    I'm Lead QA and I do product support in my spare time. You can see (roughly) who does what here.
  • edited June 2008
    I love how you have "Choreographers" on the team. Makes it sound like a Broadway musical :)
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Will wrote: »
    You can see (roughly) who does what here.

Little known fact, i'm also the TT pastry chef and gym coach.
    edited June 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    I love how you have "Choreographers" on the team. Makes it sound like a Broadway musical :)

Oh believe me, you've never seen video game production until you have seen Mr. Herrera doing high kicks.
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Yeah. My face still hurts.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Molokov wrote: »

Now that you mention it, people are often breaking into song around the office. The war song in Sam & Max? That was based on first-hand experience. :D
  • MelMel
    edited June 2008
    I always thought TT needed a science advisor. *hint hint*

;)
  • MelMel
    edited June 2008
    Shauntron wrote: »

Pâtissier!
  • edited June 2008
    Wow, cool behind the scenes info coming out here! LOL.
  • edited July 2008
    Man, I can't wait for this.

To the telltale guys, I know we've been whinnin a little for this game, but only because we know, coming from you guys, it will be awesome.

I know yall must have sworn the release date to secretcy in some ritual of some sort, but.....

can we just get a little hint?
  • edited July 2008
    As usual, the day we know when it will be coming out, we will tell you guys as loudly as possible.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Is it out?
  • edited July 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Is it out?

hahahahahahaahahahahahaahaah.......

Thanks guys.

I'm not being sarcastic, i was actually amused.

How bout pig latin?:):):):)
  • edited July 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Is it out?

yes
  • edited July 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    yes

you liar
  • edited July 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Oh believe me, you've never seen video game production until you have seen Mr. Herrera doing high kicks.

I've seen people on the street kick themselves in the head for 5$...
  • edited July 2008
    That sounds interesting.
  • very interesting.

Now IGN says it's coming out on the 21st. TOMMOROW. I kinda disbelieve but.... Is it true?

=D =D

still, I don't exactly "trust" IGN. =/
  • edited July 2008

bake me a cake!
    (give me 20 push ups!)
  • edited July 2008
    is telltale still working out the kinks on this game or are they submitting it as we speak?
  • edited July 2008
    Now IGN says it's coming out on the 21st. TOMMOROW. I kinda disbelieve but.... Is it true?

Unless we can go BACK TO THE FUTURE! No, it's the 23rd now.
  • edited July 2008
    I would go to the future in my time machine to see the release date, but it broke when my brother tried to bring dinosaurs to 2029. So... Sorry, I can't tell anybody.
  • edited July 2008

A good way to earn double your income, they need the coaching after eating the pastries.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.