Sam & Max The Movie

edited October 2011 in Sam & Max
Hi!
I was just wondering if there ever would be made a Sam & Max movie.

I´m sure Steve Purcell could put something together. That would just be the best thing ever.

If anyone has an idea, please post it, and if not, then find one:p

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Only if sam and max would be made in obvious 3d.
    No offence, but i don't want to see a photorealistical Max. I like my nightmares as they are.
  • edited June 2008
    Yeah it would only be picked up if it was in 3d which I'd rather it didn't. Also, I don't think it's mainstream enough
  • edited June 2008
    Yeah it would only be picked up if it was in 3d which I'd rather it didn't. Also, I don't think it's mainstream enough
    It'd probably end up straight to video.Ever heard of the film Jigsaw(Horror genre)? Straight to video.S
  • edited June 2008
    Nope, and most direct to vid films turn out to be terrible. Look at Disney's long line of sequels. Toy Sotry 2 was meant to be DTV but it was so good it was changed thank god.
  • edited June 2008
    Nope,

It's ridiculous."Put him together... He'll tear you apart!" they burn a mannequin for a college project that had a chainsaw arm (sound like 'intteligent' kids) and 'Jigsaw' comes back.How? Just you try and explain, Mr.need-to-know-why-there-are-impossibilities!
  • edited June 2008
    I don't care if it would have been 3D ore 2D.
    As long as the movie was made, than I would have been pleased.
  • edited June 2008
    StewG wrote: »
    I don't care if it would have been 3D ore 2D.
    As long as the movie was made, than I would have been pleased.

Even if it is bad?
  • edited June 2008
    Even if it is bad?

Yes, it's 'Max' the hyperkinetic rabbit thingy of fate.
  • edited June 2008
    I'd love an animated series of shorts within the world of 'Midtown Cowboys'
  • edited June 2008
    StewG wrote: »
    I´m sure Steve Purcell could put something together

Steve's not doing anything till he finishes his comics
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    Steve's not doing anything till he finishes his comics

... except overseeing 11 episodes of the game, republishing surfin the highway, and working full time at Pixar...
  • edited June 2008
    What's he doing at Pixar? And is he even finishing the comics?
  • edited June 2008
    What's he doing at Pixar?
    Storyboard artist. I was looking for his name during the credits of WALL-E, but didn't find it as of yet.

He does have a Storyboard credit in Cars, however, and is responsible for the design of The Screaming Banchee in the short film on the Cars DVD "Mater and the Ghost Light."
  • edited June 2008
    Wow, you learn something new everyday. Gonna have to keep a look out for him!
  • edited July 2008
    I would love to see this! http://youtube.com/watch?v=ndz5QjJVBy4
  • edited July 2008
    "(whatever Sam said at 25 seconds)"
  • A Sam & Max movie is long overdue!
    I would personally like to see it done with traditional hand drawn cell animation,but given the
    popularity of CGI animation and Steve Purcells Pixar connections it would most likely be done in that format.

I am sure it will eventually be made,Hollywood is running on fumes now,they have become so creatively bankrupt that they keep recycling old tv shows into movies,like "get smart","bewitched","underdog","alvin and the chipmunks" and the like.they are desperate for new ideas,and Sam & Max would be a hit.
    It was a shame the fox series didnt last longer,and that the network imposed stupid arbitrary decisions upon Steve Purcell ,such as forcing him to make "the geek" into a girl,and not allowing the slapstick violence and gunplay of the comics into the series.
    What with shows like South Park and Family Guy they might not be so stuffy if it were done today.

Anyway,I'd love to see a Sam & Max film done in Steve Purcells original uncensored version.but only time will tell.

We arent making any future classics for other generations to rip off and shamelessly exploit for a quick buck.
  • edited July 2008
    and that the network imposed stupid arbitrary decisions upon Steve Purcell ,such as forcing him to make "the geek" into a girl

Could've been worse, pretty sure I heard something about them wanting Max to be a girl.
  • edited July 2008
    We arent making any future classics for other generations to rip off and shamelessly exploit for a quick buck.

We aren't? Could have sworn WALL-E is another "future classic" for the next generation to rip off (though there are debates about how even that movie with their homages are ripping off even older source material).
  • edited July 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    We aren't? Could have sworn WALL-E is another "future classic" for the next generation to rip off (though there are debates about how even that movie with their homages are ripping off even older source material).

does that mean that me thinking it looks like the robot from that 80's movie (the name escapes me) is because it is copied from it?
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Could've been worse, pretty sure I heard something about them wanting Max to be a girl.

that's frightening more than anything else.
  • edited July 2008

Thanks for burning the traumatizing image into my brain,Wolf!
  • edited July 2008
    I would only watch a Sam & Max movie if it was released direct to 3.5" floppies for MS-DOS 5.0 and above and was rendered in 320x200 resolution with 256 colors. In other words, no, I don't think a Sam & Max movie would be a good idea. Sam & Max has always worked best when developed in an environment where individuals (like Purcell and Grossman) can have more freedom. When S&M entered an atmosphere where there wasn't as much freedom (Network TV) and were more regulations and formalities, they didn't do as well. No offense to fans of the TV show, I just don't think they lived up to their full potential in that field. If a movie were made, I think they'd lose a lot of their spontaneity. Also, who would they gear the movie towards? Fans of the cartoon, or fans of the games and comics?
    That's correct, so having the Geek be a girl was an excellent call. We can't tell if it would have been better if she were male because she never appeared anywhere else before the TV show as a boy.
  • Ha Ha! I wouldnt put it past 'em! They could have also forced him to replace the DeSoto with a Honda or some other pile of junk!

Execs shouldnt tamper with an artists vision.

I didnt see why they added "The Geek" anyway....that character wasnt in any of the comic books and in my opinion was completely unecessary......they should have just added Flint Paper to the show instead! now that would have been something to see!
  • "We aren't? Could have sworn WALL-E is another "future classic" for the next generation to rip off"

You're entitled to your opinion,but Calling Wall-E a "future classic" is a bit of a strech isnt it?

What stands out about that movie??? I didnt see anything clever or original about it.
    to me its just another in a rapid fire sucession of GCI animated films. to be quickly forgotten in the wake of the next.

I think if I had to pick a computer animated film I would have to say "Cars" would be the one I liked best...and even then the story was just the same typical "self discovery" Disney fare....but it did have some very cool cars in it,like Doc Hudson...they actually did their homework and got the history and cars pretty dead on.
    I also like how that movie had an emotional thread that ran through it about "the good old days" and it showed how society degraded as time elapsed.

I gaurantee you 20 years from now Shrek is not going to hold up well..far to many current pop culture jokes that will be meaningless by that time.
    This is just my personal opinion,but I am not a huge computer animation fan,most of the human characters are poorly designed and funny (ugly) looking.(not in a good way)

I admire the talent ,time and effort it took in the past to actually hand draw each frame it took to do traditional animation...the artist was much "closer" to his work.

I think the 50's and 60's were the zenith of our culture.
  • "I would only watch a Sam & Max movie if it was released direct to 3.5" floppies for MS-DOS 5.0 and above and was rendered in 320x200 resolution with 256 colors. In other words, no, I don't think a Sam & Max movie would be a good idea. Sam & Max has always worked best when developed in an environment where individuals (like Purcell and Grossman) can have more freedom. When S&M entered an atmosphere where there wasn't as much freedom (Network TV) and were more regulations and formalities, they didn't do as well. No offense to fans of the TV show, I just don't think they lived up to their full potential in that field. If a movie were made, I think they'd lose a lot of their spontaneity. Also, who would they gear the movie towards? Fans of the cartoon, or fans of the games and comics?"

I agree!,Steve Purcell needs to be in complete control of his work, The Tv show was alright considering the conditions under which it was made,but it definetly suffered in translation.
    The comic books are brilliant!
    If they did make a movie it should be geared to the fans of the COMICS.since that is Steve Purcells original undilluted vision of the characters.The comics are the "real" Sam & Max"

I fear if they do make a Sam & Max movie they will take a middle of the road approach and water them down....but hey Steve Purcell would never allow that to happen again..... would he?
    The comics are the reason Sam & Max have such a loyal cult following! even bigger than Fritz Nunkie's!!
  • edited July 2008
    The Geek itself was an unnecessary, frivolous character hastily thrown together to allow a younger audience relate to the show; as if two profoundly immature private investigators weren't enough somehow...
  • edited July 2008
    Zootch wrote: »
    The Geek itself was an unnecessary, frivolous character hastily thrown together to allow a younger audience relate to the show; as if two profoundly immature private investigators weren't enough somehow...
    Actually, it was to appeal to a female audience. Hence why they wanted to make Max a girl.
    Let's get one thing straight: What we got was infinitely preferable to the alternative.
  • edited July 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Actually, it was to appeal to a female audience. Hence why they wanted to make Max a girl.
    Let's get one thing straight: What we got was infinitely preferable to the alternative.

Wow...Feminine Sam & Max?What's next?Cross-Dressing G. I. Joe?
  • edited July 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »

Well this is coming from a girl, making Max a girl would make the show POO and the geek wasn't at all needed.
  • edited July 2008
    Well this is coming from a girl, making Max a girl would make the show POO and the geek wasn't at all needed.
    The Geek may not have been needed, but she satisfied the network. She was a good example of a compromise between creator and producer that didn't hurt the show.
  • edited July 2008
    NatsFan wrote: »
    The Geek may not have been needed, but she satisfied the network. She was a good example of a compromise between creator and producer that didn't hurt the show.
    That's debatable. Lots of Sam & Max fans hate the Geek. Depending on your position, that's either because of adaptation decay or they changed it now it sucks.
  • edited July 2008
    "We aren't? Could have sworn WALL-E is another "future classic" for the next generation to rip off"

You're entitled to your opinion,but Calling Wall-E a "future classic" is a bit of a strech isnt it?

What stands out about that movie??? I didnt see anything clever or original about it.
    to me its just another in a rapid fire sucession of GCI animated films. to be quickly forgotten in the wake of the next.

I think if I had to pick a computer animated film I would have to say "Cars" would be the one I liked best...and even then the story was just the same typical "self discovery" Disney fare....but it did have some very cool cars in it,like Doc Hudson...they actually did their homework and got the history and cars pretty dead on.
    I also like how that movie had an emotional thread that ran through it about "the good old days" and it showed how society degraded as time elapsed.

Isn't cars considered the worst pixar film?
  • edited July 2008
    For once, me and this kid can kind of agree on something: Cars wasn't one of Pixar's best, really. I mean, it's not my least favorite (that'd be Monsters, Inc.), but my least favorites are more due to seeing them too many damn times than them being bad movies.
    I don't know what it is with Cars, but it just doesn't have quite the same feeling to it. Maybe it's just because the movie's overall theme is something that resonates more with the kind of people who watch Nascar than myself.
  • edited July 2008
    I think the problem with Cars, was that it didn't have a real heart to it like the other Pixar movies do. When I saw Cars I got worried that maybe they had lost it but then Ratatouille came out and I was relieved. And now there's Wall-E and man........what a movie.
  • edited July 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    I think the problem with Cars, was that it didn't have a real heart to it like the other Pixar movies do. When I saw Cars I got worried that maybe they had lost it but then Ratatouille came out and I was relieved. And now there's Wall-E and man........what a movie.
    That works, too. It's funny, though, how subjective it gets when you talk about the 'heart' of a movie, because it's such an intangible concept.
  • edited July 2008
    I enjoyed Cars, though it isn't remotely my favourite. In my opinion the best CGI film by far is Toy Story, they nailed it with that one, the story, characters, animation - all spot on. And how many of you as kids imagined you toys coming alive?
  • edited July 2008
    Both of the Toy Stories remain my favorites :)

Wall-E was pretty high up there, although I liked the first half way more than the second.
  • edited July 2008
    That's a point actually, even the sequel is fantastic, which is rare amougst films and even rarer amongst Disney ones.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm with Doug, I love the two Toy Story movies, and The Incredibles came very close to toppling them as my favourite, but not quite.

They're all quite good, but Cars was the only one that I didn't feel like I wanted to rewatch. Not sure why. I guess I just don't feel that anthropomorphic cars work in my mind, but I'm quite happy with anthropomorphised toys, bugs, monsters, fish, rats and robots.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.